FC1 Basic basic basic

Grunion1MollyMaguire

Grunion1MollyMaguire

OK; I have Rise of Flight; just bought FC and am searching for the most basic instruction on How to Start.

So far, I have met with misery and frustration.  I don't see anything called 'Flying Circus User's Manual' - just a link to IL2 BoS manual?? 

Has somebody created a CheatSheet? or are the keyboard commands from RoF still applicable?   

And on a semi-related note; if using a VR headset, how do you control things like charging guns and fiddling with the fuel/air mixer.

thanks

GMcK

• Upvote 1

J5_Baeumer
53 minutes ago, Grunion1MollyMaguire said:

OK; I have Rise of Flight; just bought FC and am searching for the most basic instruction on How to Start.

So far, I have met with misery and frustration.  I don't see anything called 'Flying Circus User's Manual' - just a link to IL2 BoS manual?? 

Has somebody created a CheatSheet? or are the keyboard commands from RoF still applicable?   

And on a semi-related note; if using a VR headset, how do you control things like charging guns and fiddling with the fuel/air mixer.

thanks

GMcK

Welcome to the Flying Circus community! Don't despair.  Determination will be rewarded.

E starts the engine. 

It may be helpful if you review/print the commands in the in game menu (the one available after you log in to the game).  Look under key bindings and click the various tabs on the left for the command groupings.

Suggest you look at the Flying Circus New Player FAQ pinned near the top of the Flying Circus General Discussion forum.  There's a lot of basic questions answered there as well as some VR related resources.  

Highly recommend you get connected with the community on the Flugpark Discord server... look for the links in one of the sections of the FAQ.

You can meet other players and actually ask them questions and talk to them while flying in game.  Especially helpful if you're wanting to fly multiplayer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DakkaDakkaDakka
10 hours ago, Grunion1MollyMaguire said:

if using a VR headset, how do you control things like charging guns and fiddling with the fuel/air mixer.

Welcome to Flying Circus! Many familiar faces from RoF, you will be right at home.

Unless I’m mistaken, most if not all of the basic key mappings are the same in FC as they were in RoF. But, as in RoF, you will definitely want to take the time to set them to your liking, which you can do while in a plane by pressing the ESC button and clicking on the relevant menus. The default mappings will be displayed there, and of course you can overwrite them if you want.  Normal stuff.

I am not a VR pilot (yet), but I suggest spending some time outside of VR to get your key mappings, HOTAS, etc setup to your preferences. Once all is dialed in, even if only provisionally, then take your time running some Quick Missions to validate your settings.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

I cannot emphasize how important it is to get connected with the community on Discord. It is much much faster to ask a question verbally rather than relying on chat or a forum, and you can get clarification on the answers in case your question wasn't fully answered.

I fly in VR exclusively, and have bound most of the critical commands to my joystick and throttle quadrant. I have sliders on the throttle for the engine controls throttle, mixture, water radiator, etc, as well as buttons for Start Engine, Rearm, Refuel, Flare Gun, start track recording, etc. The joystick has buttons for two levels of zoom, reload gun, fire weapon groups 1, 2, and 3 (for the Dolphin), bomb drop, auto-level, and recenter head in VR. I have also heard some people have good success with Voice Attack to use voice commands for some of the less common commands (especially gunner commands or formation commands in SP). I've also heard Voice Attack is good for speech-to-text when using chat in VR. This could be pretty useful, since I usually tilt my headset up so I can see the keyboard when typing, and have gotten shot up pretty bad while typing.

• Like 1

For VR this tool is a great help.

If you have any questions I can help you setup your key mapping anytime.

14 hours ago, Grunion1MollyMaguire said:

I don't see anything called 'Flying Circus User's Manual' - just a link to IL2 BoS manual?? 

That’s the one. They haven’t made an manual for each DLC. That might be a bit old now though and some features added/changed since that manual came about. Battle of Stalingrad was the first DLC.

Grunion1MollyMaguire

So E starts the engine.  If I have a VR headset on, how do I find 'E'?   And then how would I adjust throttle and air mixture and other settings, also?

I had already looked at those resources you mentioned, but they all seem to start at 'Chapter 2' with an assumption you already know how to get the plane off the ground.

just trying to work out the logistics in advance...

THanks gentlemen;  I reposted before I saw all the responses.  It will take me some time to digest all that.  My 'pit isn't quite ready to go yet - still need to program the ProMicro to talk to all of the controls. 

My stick doesn't have the extra buttons to map engine controls, etc. to, so I guess I will have to incorporate a button box to collect all of those key functions. 

I'm assuming you just memorize the locations of the keys? E.G.: key 'E' is upper left corner, etc. when you're under the VR 'hood'?

this is what I got so far..

sim camel cockpit.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Grunion1MollyMaguire said:

So E starts the engine.  If I have a VR headset on, how do I find 'E'?   And then how would I adjust throttle and air mixture and other settings, also?

I fly VR only too, i use 3 Joysticks, left is the throttle, middle is the Joystick and right side i use the Honeycomb Bravo for controlling the mixture stuff. ( and real rudder pedals on the ground)

Each of them have enough additional buttons for lets say start the Engine. The only thing I put back on the keyboard is the eject button,
because it already happened to me in the middle of a dogfight accidentally touched the button 😜

Btw. i like your setup! it looks really great! 😃

Grunion1MollyMaguire

thanks; I am working on a button box to sit near my right knee.  If I keep the number of buttons reasonable, I should be able to memorize the locations of the most used ones..

• Like 1