Developer Diary 300 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Dear Friends,

Welcome to a rare Monday edition that is our 300th Developer Diary which happens to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the release of the original IL-2 Sturmovik for the PC! Two decades on and IL-2 products are still going strong! Simply amazing!   

We know you would like this to be a super special diary today, but for us, it’s just another busy week at work trying to finish our projects. Please don’t think that we are not proud of this milestone, because we are, but there is just so much to do and we need to stay on task! However, we hope that there will be 300 more DDs and 20 more years of Sturmovik products to come!

Full Text and Visuals HERE.

Jason

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 7

AEthelraedUnraed

Beautiful, both the Dakota and the IAR. Slightly disappointed we won't be able to look into the cargo hold (judging from the pics), but I can understand that's necessary to keep the poly count down.

itsbillyfrazier

A DD on a Monday? I'm all out of sync now... but thanks for the update. 

I would also like to express my gratitude to the il-2 Team and all the community contributors who make this sim great.

Hopefully I'll still be about for the 600th DD! 🥂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

FlyingShark

Thank you for all your hard work.

And let there be another 300 DD's, 20 years of Sturmovik and more.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

Congratulation on the two major milestones. I've been with you from the start and I'll stay for the duration. Big thanks to all contributors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

JG1_Hotlead_J10

Congrats on the 300th Dev Diary and the 20th year of Sturmovik! I got started back in the 1946 days...the series has really come so far. Thanks for the countless hours of enjoyment in one of the best hobbies a guy could have! I look forward to the next 20 years. 🍻

Edited by JG1_Hotlead_J10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

ShamrockOneFive

Loving the look of both the C-47 and the IAR. Fun fact, one of my Great Uncles was a pilot with the RCAF transport wing that flew a Dakota (C-47) over the Netherlands during the relief missions that they flew nearer the end of the war. So, there's a little bit of a special connection to this aircraft in particular for me. I'm very excited to fly it in IL-2 as a result!

Also congratulations on 20-years of IL-2! Here's two 20-more!

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Leady_Brickov

Ohh no I've gotta wait another week to find out what lovely new tanks I'll be preordering. I've been hanging out for news, but still super excited 🙂🙂

Stug vrs Su85? Marder vrs Su76? Stug vrs M4A1?

Congratulations to the whole team for the work done since the first developer diary 8 years ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

My goodness. Modeling all of that quilted matting in the C-47 must be fun for ye 'ol poly budget.

JV44HeinzBar

I've already got my money ready for the 2 collector tanks! :)  Heck, I've got the money ready for Tank Crew 2, lol.

HB

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking awesome! Getting to drop troops over Normandy at night with flak exploding all around is going to be a lot of fun:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

FlyinPinkPanther

Congrats! 

BTW, why is Jason talking in the third person? :P

The IAR will likely go on Pre-Order next week as well as our two new Collector Tanks which Jason will also announce next week.  

Aurora_Stealth

Congratulations to the team for this very special milestone passed! the dedication and talent that has gone into making this series of flight simulators is really something to be proud of.

I'm sure with all the work on currently it will take some time to really sink in. Hopefully you guys can get a chance to relax, rest and reflect over Xmas.

Thank you for all the wonderful years so far, to both the team and community and here's to many great years ahead! :drinks:

• Like 1

Onward and upward!

20 years of Il2 and may there be another 20 more.  The current version is leaps and bounds over the original.  Love it and it keeps delivering wonderful surprises and improvements with every update.

Thanks to such a dedicated developer team and the community that nurtures them.

• Upvote 2

IckyATLAS

Congratulations for this 300 DD milestone. It is a proof of your continuous communication link with our community and we thank you for that.

Even if the images of the cockpit are at this stage basic and volume geometry, I love the Dakota's pilot seat leather look and feel which besides the color does really look natural. A detail you may say. I know a detail but this sim is just that, excellent in the details. After all for a pilot that will clock very long hours, nothing is more important than the seating or where he will put his pants.😄

FlyinPinkPanther

I meant to ask and i am sure this has been asked already, but please humor me. 

with the IAR-80/81 is it all variants or the last of 80 and the first of 81?

44 minutes ago, FlyinPinkPanther said:

They can make all versions with the arming screen. So far we've seen two versions. IAR-80A( six gun fighter without intake filter) and IAR-81 bopi(six gun dive bomber). 

They did ask for info about all versions, so we'll see.

Either way. Lovely little birds.

• Thanks 1

I've played IL-2 since it's inception and it is and continues to be IMHO to be the best.  The attention to detail and the responsiveness of the team is second to none.  KUDOS to the entire team and let's hope there are 300 more DD's and 20 more years ahead.

However, we hope that there will be 300 more DDs and 20 more years of Sturmovik products to come!

This is actually possible by the way. If the audience grows a bit. They could easily do another ten modules (released once every two years) assuming the audience is fine with slightly more obscure (but well documented) aircraft and battles... which would be a dream come true I think - as it'd give us experiences past sims haven't.

44 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

They can make all versions with the arming screen. So far we've seen two versions. IAR-80A( six gun fighter without intake filter) and IAR-81 bopi(six gun dive bomber). 

They did ask for info about all versions, so we'll see.

Either way. Lovely little birds.

1 hour ago, FlyinPinkPanther said:

So it seems we'll have the IAR-81 (with bombs and 6x7.5mm) for Stalingrad and the IAR-80A (with 6x7.5mm but no bombs) for Kuban.

The one other appropriate variant would be the  IAR-80B (with 2x13.2mm & 4x7.5mm and increased wingspan) which was also at Stalingrad. It'd be interesting to have but I wouldn't count on it (as it requires a different wing at the very least).

I'm really looking forward to pre-ordering the IAR-80/81 in any case - it is a nimble light fighter, a good opponent for the I-16 and generally a lovely little bird. I really hope it does well when it comes to sales and Ivan is sufficiently encouraged to do an I-153 or Fi-156 or something afterwards.

• Thanks 1

FlyinPinkPanther

I am leaning towards "pre-ordering" my first collector plane....IAR 80/81. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

So it seems we'll have the IAR-81 (with bombs and 6x7.5mm) for Stalingrad and the IAR-80A (with 6x7.5mm but no bombs) for Kuban.

IAR- fighters were never based in Kuban, but were based in Crimea during that time and the first damage reports of cannon armed IAR-80C fighters were starting to come in as early as March-April 1943. 

The Romanians sent only German built planes to Kuban and kept the rest in Crimea.   So they can use IAR-80C (2xmg/FF+4x7.92) for Kuban. They did a lot of cover for Black sea convoys. 

Hey DD is in so it' Friday...time to party!  :popcorm: and  new planes are coming for pre-order...need to start saving money. 

Thanks for 300 DD's & 20 years of the BEST WW2 flight sim experience!

I have been here since the original Il-2. I bought it as a Christmas present... for myself 2001 and I still have the box :)

S! JLean

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic