Used to own and play "IL2 1946" over 10 years ago. Cannot download game but have S#. and order number

Ektormarcoconti

Ektormarcoconti

I am getting the hitch to get back into flight simulation. I did it for over 10 years and stopped about 10 years ago when I got sick. I have since invested in Simracing, but I still would love to play IL2. I have the newer versions on STEAM and I just checked, and I have the serial number and other info from when I bought the game from Ubisoft.

However, my Ubisoft account no longer works (I just don't exist anymore) and I think the drive where I had all my installation files for this and other games went to Hard Drive Valhalla about 5 years ago. 

In my notes I have the following

May 24, 08      IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

Support reference: ORDER INFORMATION
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 $19.95  Total $19.95 
BILLING INFORMATION
Order Reference Number :  XXXXX-XXXXXXX
Order Date :  5/24/2008 11:38:34 PM 
Charged to :  <ME> | <my address> | <My City> | <My Country> | <My Zip>
Credit card ending in :  XXXX 

I also bought the previous games but if I recall 1946 was on sale and contained all the games I already had, so those are even murkier as to where they may be.

I do have a Ubisoft account, but IL2 is not listed there, but another game of theirs I bought in 2015 is. That tells me the account I have is newer and not the same as the old one. Probably a different email address I no longer have.

1946 is $10 on Steam, so it wouldn’t be a financial strain to start from scratch, but if I can find the original download it would be better and given how modded 1946 is, judging from this and other forums, maybe it would be best if I found an original installation file and keep it out of Steam sticky fingers. 

What say you? Should I just buy it again on Steam or keep looking for the Ubisoft original installation? Maybe contacting Ubisoft directly since I have the serial number and even the last 4 digit of the password I used (I know, I am a dreamer)?

Thank you very much and yes, I did search the forum, but couldn't quite find an answer related to my question. If the answer is on Google, it must be on page 100, at least, all the rest are modding topics.

HotPursuit

I recommend you purchase a new copy from the link palker has provided.  I think this is the original DVD release version (4.07m).

You can then patch it up to version 4.12.2m for free (2.16 GB) here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,38443.0.html

Then if you're keen and have lots of disk space you can Mod the game (for free).  This adds lots of new content and improvements.

If you are only interested in WWII I suggest 'BAT 4.0 Red Core' (50 GB) from here:  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,65026.0.html

Then the Update called 'BAT 4.2 Flashpoint' from here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67426.0.html

Then there's a hotfix patch available here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67426.msg737130.html#msg737130

IL2 1946 is still unmatched for number of aircraft and maps available. Still heaps of fun to play for a small cost.

Ektormarcoconti

Thank you both. I was hoping to get a lead like it. I found some places that also have it, but they didn't seem trustworthy. This place looks perfect. 

Of course, now I have to deal with Windows 10 issues, mods and such, but at least I can install it again. I have acres of disk space and my gaming is in a dual boot from my work computer so that MS Office and Adobe suite doesn't mix with gaming.

And yes, WWII is what I am looking to play again, especially the Pacific Theater. Some of the most fun I used to have was Midway with the dive bombers, but I also remember forming up to hunt bandits in the Battle of Britain being a blast. Sadly I think I forgot much of it, but it'll be fun to learn again.

I am NOT looking forward to re-learn all the mappings. All I remember is G for Gear and the space bar, but after a decade of Simracing I have enough button boxes (and the knowledge of how to make more for $20 each) that I should be able to avoid the keyboard altogether.

For the record, I take broken retail blood pressure machines and repurpose them as button boxes, as they have a sloped top that is much better than the commercially available ones. For flying I'll need to buy a different vinyl to cover them with, as carbon fiber may look a bit anachronistic.

Thank you both again. 

J2_SteveF

What Win 10 issues?

And why do you need to dual boot because of Adobe and Office?

I've run IL2 '46 on all OS from XP through to Win11 with no issue and also run it on the same box I use for work, using Office.

BTW  Steam does 1946 fully updated to version 13, with option to downgrade to version 12, needed for Mods, via the Beta section in the game properties

Edited by J2_SteveF

Ektormarcoconti
On 11/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, J2_SteveF said:

What Win 10 issues?

And why do you need to dual boot because of Adobe and Office?

I've run IL2 '46 on all OS from XP through to Win11 with no issue and also run it on the same box I use for work, using Office.

BTW  Steam does 1946 fully updated to version 13, with option to downgrade to version 12, needed for Mods, via the Beta section in the game properties

I have read that 1946 can have issues with win 10. If that's not the case, even better.

As far as dual boot, I do other gaming, mostly racing simulation. Because of my work I have pretty much every cloud drive known and a bunch of other programs constantly updating, pinging, etc. So I have two SSD drives I boot from, one for work, one for gaming.  I dual boot to have the cleanest gaming experience I can. Packet loss in online racing sims is the kiss of death and makes the difference between closely following someone to pass them and finding oneself suddenly sharing the same space or getting hit by a car that's at least 5/10th of a second behind you, but the prediction software thinks they hit you instead.