BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XXIII

Planes and modifications

The key difference between our new project and the previous one is that all additional content can be obtained for free.

All planes that participated in the Battle of Stalingrad had various sorts of weapon and equipment modifications and even global design modifications. All of them will be available as un-lockable rewards. We've selected the five most interesting modifications for each aircraft in the game. Some are significant, others - typical. For instance, Soviet air forces soon realized how vulnerable an attack plane (Sturmovik) is and started installing gunner-manned turrets in the field. The German Luftwaffe used lots of standard issue modifications: drop tanks, under-wing gun pods. And of course both sides used such typical mods as different bombs and rockets. And we add other exciting opportunities like removing head armor plate if it limits your view.

Read more

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

Really does look and sounds great. Nice job, you seem to be making real progress. 

One thing that does concern me after reading the article is the mention of levelling and reference to how most modern games incorporate this system as if it's a good reason alone to include it into BOS. However BOS is a flight simulator isn't it and not a game? I'm not a fan of the idea of levelling to be gifted with something. The very nature of this design concept is to tap into the addictive competitive nature of people and is only used to increase the average Joes play time without making any real impact of the games quality.

I just want to fly with squad mates without having to feel obligated to unlock something I would like.

Edited by =69.GIAP=RADKO
  • Upvote 3

Interesting news and great video. I'm very impressed. You deserve that Il-2 logo.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you have all kind of players on the radar and try to address their needs and wishes !!! Sounds very good and promising !!!

One thing that does concern me after reading the article is the mention of levelling and reference to how most modern games incorporate this system as if it's a good reason to include it into BOS. However BOS is a flight simulator isn't it?  

You're 100% correct, sir. IL-2 BoS is a flight sim and it's a modern game :salute:

Thank you for the constat updates - they are a big boost to all of our hopes I think.

The campaign gameplay and awards system sounds interesting, however I personaly dont like the following point:

With global stats on or off, you'll be using only the planes and mods that you've obtained by purchasing the game or have unlocked by playing the Historical campaign

The thing is that many hardcore simmers acctually dont touch single player campaigns. This would be forcing many of the multiplayer only people to fly singleplayer campaing only to get the mods and skins. And many dont want to waste time with single player.

Speaking for myself - I have been flying RoF for years now. And I have done extremly little in the campaing (all due to the fact that I my connection wasnt good enough for proper multiplayer at the time). And for me it felt more of a waste of time than anything like a challenge. I have a great respect for the idea and the hard work with the campaigns in RoF and for BoS. However I find all the AI too stupid and repetative to offer any challenge. Dosent matter which sim / game... I simply get borred very quickly as the fight itself dosent offer a proper challenge - it never gets even close to the various situations you get into on a MP server.

And I dont want to be wasting many hours in campaign only to unlock some mods that I will need in multiplayer (online wars.....) I much preffer to unlock them in multiplayer.

Can you please consider an option to unlock these mods in multiplayer as well so that the people that will not be playing the campaing can also get the mods.

• Upvote 6

Game achievement system in such a realistic flight simulation sounds interesting to me. Hopefully it works just as you and we want it.

i personally think this is a great idea! though im not opposed to buying what you want, since that gives you the choice to not purchase things you'll never use, i find the idea of having something to work towards incising on a basic gameplay level. 

im really looking forward to this! keep up the great work! 

Holy smoke, most realistic sound in any flight simulation!

:fly:

MAC

A good read, Cheers!

Single player mode as a whole, sounds really great. It sounds like you have some interesting concepts planned. I'm looking forward to playing.

It looks like I will have some time to earn some camos before I battle my peers in Multiplayer. :)

Nice nets!!

Yes really, I like the Mesh/Model and Texture. Good Job!

It looks like you guys are on a collision course with awesome!

Really does look and sounds great. Nice job, you seem to be making real progress. 

One thing that does concern me after reading the article is the mention of levelling and reference to how most modern games incorporate this system as if it's a good reason to include it into BOS. However BOS is a flight simulator isn't it and not a game? I'm not a fan of the idea of levelling to be gifted with something, the very nature of this design concept is to tap into the addictive competitive nature of people and is only used to increase the average Joes play time without making any real impact of the games quality.

I just want to fly with squad mates without having to feel obligated to unlock something I would like.

Yup. This has always been my concern. It sounds interesting to some people, but it's a complete immersion killer for me.

"Comrad, where's your bazooka?"

"Sorry. Life got in the way last month. All I have is a pocket knife."

It's still pretty though.

Something I've always wanted to mention. Attempts to represent the sound when opening and closing a canopy have always missed one thing it seems to me: the higher pitch--or whistle--when you first crack it open. It's a small detail, but it would be a "fresh" one. Maybe just increase pitch of the existing sound, then trail off to the correct pitch. A shot-up canopy should prabably be influenced similarly.

Thanks for the update.

• Upvote 1

Great sound love it.

What do you mean by "all additional content can be obtained for free"?

Does this mean all additonal equipment, vehicles and aircrafts after initial release?

Great sound love it.

What do you mean by "all additional content can be obtained for free"?

Does this mean all additonal equipment, vehicles and aircrafts after initial release?

It means that you'll be able to unlock new planes not buying thaem but playing the game (unlike it's in RoF where you need to purchase every plane). More certainty about the business model will follow

Thank you for a great update guys  :)

The ground models look really awesome. Can you reveal how big the texture and triangle count is for each model?

Edited by HenFre

Love the sound and previous videos. But...

The thing is that many hardcore simmers acctually dont touch single player campaigns. This would be forcing many of the multiplayer only people to fly singleplayer campaing only to get the mods and skins. And many dont want to waste time with single player.
Speaking for myself - I have been flying RoF for years now. And I have done extremly little in the campaing (all due to the fact that I my connection wasnt good enough for proper multiplayer at the time). And for me it felt more of a waste of time than anything like a challenge. I have a great respect for the idea and the hard work with the campaigns in RoF and for BoS. However I find all the AI too stupid and repetative to offer any challenge. Dosent matter which sim / game... I simply get borred very quickly as the fight itself dosent offer a proper challenge - it never gets even close to the various situations you get into on a MP server.
And I dont want to be wasting many hours in campaign only to unlock some mods that I will need in multiplayer (online wars.....) I much preffer to unlock them in multiplayer.
Can you please consider an option to unlock these mods in multiplayer as well so that the people that will not be playing the campaing can also get the mods.

As a strictly MP flight simmer, I have to second that.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

Superb update.  The sound is terrific and I really enjoyed the sense of space looking out over that freezing tundra.  Really very impressed with your work.  Also, shadows look great.  Cautiously bloody excited.

Thank you for the constat updates - they are a big boost to all of our hopes I think.

The campaign gameplay and awards system sounds interesting, however I personaly dont like the following point:

With global stats on or off, you'll be using only the planes and mods that you've obtained by purchasing the game or have unlocked by playing the Historical campaign

+1000. I want back =BY= on line war, the only reason i play IL2 for so many years. :salute:

Edited by 4SNero
  • Upvote 3

You're 100% correct, sir. IL-2 BoS is a flight sim and it's a modern game :salute:

You mean I'm 50% correct. Haha sorry I couldn't help myself.

Edited by =69.GIAP=RADKO

Am extremely sceptical about both the leveling and unlocking of modifications or weapons and the unlocking of planes, I think that none of this fits into a historical flight simulation, leave it for the Battlefield and Call of Duty titles...

• Upvote 1

Interesting read and personally I have no problems with these constraints . I even like them. But I can fully understand those that are "online only"- types feeling a bit queesy.

Yep, I don't like this unlock system. It is a good thing for the career part, but not for multiplayer. If it is free, why not give them and let the server hoster decide if he wants the mods unlock for all players?

Edited by actionjoe
  • Upvote 2

As long a BOS doesnt have monthly sub fees im happy.I dont mind the unlock system

no... really bad news for me :(

unlockables are something worth of a battlefield, not for a flightsim.... still its better than the pay2win ROF system.

I guess no game is perfect :/

Makes it sound like Warthunder to me. Levelling up? Unlockables? Worrying times for a Sim with the IL2 pedigree :(

• Upvote 3

Makes it sound like Warthunder to me. Levelling up? Unlockables? Worrying times for a Sim with the IL2 pedigree :(

I was thinking just the same. The very reason why I have spent so little time with that title. Worrying is an understatement. Why stray away from the winning formula that makes the original IL2 so great?

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

Yep, I don't like this unlock system. It is a good thing for the career part, but not for multiplayer. If it is free, why not give them and let the server hoster decide if he wants the mods unlock for all players?

Most likely if server has mode "Global statistics OFF" then server hosters will decide this question about unlock mods independently.

I like that there will be some tangible reward for success in campaign. It is good to have something to strive for.

As a person who enjoys flight simulation, not flying games, something that irritated me about War Thunder was the constant on-screen messages about points earned. The congratulations! you just earned 50 Gold Plated Farts or dragons or whatever, every time you took off, turned around, or clipped a target was extremely annoying and reminded you at all times that you were just playing a game. Please, please keep all that stat stuff in the de-briefing screen where it belongs!

Your question is a perfectly reasonable one and I've seen this type of question come up many times before on other game forums regarding levels/unlocks and why can't we just unlock them all if they're free anyway? But the problem is that this will now directly contradict their business model. It's basically a business strategy that is designed to make the average player play longer, that's all. Regardless of the minority (enthusiasts) like it or not. I quite understand a levelling system for lets say a MMORPG or RTS for example but this doesn't seem fitting for a combat simulator if that's what it's to be.

However, putting some more thought into it I have the suspicious feeling you'll be able to buy the unlocks & planes anyway. I'm completely fine with this if this is to be the case. So long as the prices are reasonable and aren't compared to World of Tanks where to buy just one of the the best premium tanks will cost you the price of a brand new game (?

Edited by =69.GIAP=RADKO
  • Upvote 1

So let's name it,  a MFG , a Modern Flight Game.

Edited by Rodolphe

i just want to say:

i am also no fan of this "Battlefield/WorldofTanks etc" system -> 'Obtaining a new level grants you an ability to unlock new modifications or a plane, until you get them all. This entire development system is pretty much typical for most games these days, it's popular and simple.'

Even more, in a flightsim it makes no sense for me.........

Mod system is not about leveling. Unlockables would give additional options that don't influence your performace but they may change it with its pros and cons.

I like that there will be some tangible reward for success in campaign. It is good to have something to strive for.

As a person who enjoys flight simulation, not flying games, something that irritated me about War Thunder was the constant on-screen messages about points earned. The congratulations! you just earned 50 Gold Plated Farts or dragons or whatever, every time you took off, turned around, or clipped a target was extremely annoying and reminded you at all times that you were just playing a game. Please, please keep all that stat stuff in the de-briefing screen where it belongs!

There will be no onscreen messages.

Unlockables would give additional options that don't influence your performace but they may change it with its pros and cons.

Sounds reasonable to me. A bit like 'unlocking' the additional guns for the Nieuport 17 in RoF (instead of buying them, twice), and then deciding whether the additional firepower is worth the loss of performance and manouevrability. :)

The thing is that many hardcore simmers acctually dont touch multiplayer. And many dont want to waste time with multiplayer.

Sounds reasonable to me. A bit like 'unlocking' the additional guns for the Nieuport 17 in RoF (instead of buying them, twice), and then deciding whether the additional firepower is worth the loss of performance and manouevrability. :)

Exactly. The case with head armor plate is also examplary - you may  but it would make youunclock the option to remove it to be able to look around better, but doing so makes you way more vulnerable.

The thing is that many hardcore simmers acctually dont touch multiplayer. And many dont want to waste time with multiplayer.

That's why we're working that hard on PvE content, and actually it's the very first time ever we're talking about multiplayer:)