Honecomb Alpha Yoke with Warthog HOTAS and T.A.R.G.E.T

moh_weg

Hi All,

Just thought I'd throw this out there if anyone is interested.

I have a Warthog HOTAS and a Honeycomb Alpha yoke. It really bugged me that the yoke was just sitting there doing nothing (I bought it for X-Plane but got bored with just flying around hence the return to IL2). I've just spent the last couple of weeks getting my head around the T.A.R.G.E.T software and have it pretty much how I like it. The only buttons on the joystick that send DX keys are the H4U and H4D ones under my thumb. The rest are all programmed to use the default keyboard keys in the game meaning I can move things around if I want to change something.

Anyway, that's another story... Back to the topic at hand. 

As I said it bugged me that I had the Alpha Yoke sitting there and wouldn't it be great to be able to use it in bombers or the P38. I could see that it was possible to have more than one axis mapped but when I tried it earlier without the T.A.R.G.E.T software it would never work. It was another post somewhere that got me thinking. That person said you could not have two axes on the same control because one would always cancel the other out. Then it dawned on me. What if I could disable the axes in T.A.R.G.E.T and then I could set the yoke up as the second controller on that axis.

It was so simple in the end. I Just commented out the two lines for JOYX and JOYY at the start of the script. By doing this I retain all the button mappings on the stick I had programmed. I plugged in the Alpha and set it to the second pitch and roll and voila!! It worked like a charm.

I just copied the original to a new one now with the lines commented out. One I load if I am going to fly yoke controlled aircraft and one for the stick controlled ones.

I fly in VR and the joystick is right there in it's usual place for all the tasks I had mapped and the only thing I use the yoke for is pitch and roll. I've remapped one of the buttons on the yoke for guns for the A20 and P38 but other than that it just controls the plane.

I have the yoke on a moveable stand so I can have it out of the way if I am not flying yoked aircraft.

All the Warthog axes are seen as Joystick 1 and the yoke as Joystick 5. The reason it is like that is because I started the game up without the T.A.R.G.E.T software loaded and it automatically mapped the 2, 3 and 4 to the Stick, Throttle and Pedals. As long as I plug the yoke into the same USB port whenever I want to use it then it will always be 5.

So it can be done if someone was thinking of adding the Honeycomb Alpha to their inventory..

Edited by moh_weg
  • Like 1