Developer Diary 294 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Dear Friends,

In today’s DD we want to show you some screens featuring our new cloud technology and renderer. We have been working on new clouds for a few months and we now have some WIP results we can show you. As you can see, they look more natural and have more variety and are larger than our previous clouds. They also have localized rain showers and react well with the lighting creating a beautiful scene. While other teams out there have more resources than we do to make amazing clouds, our new clouds are the work of just two motivated people on the Sturmovik Team (Sergey and Isay). And soon we’ll be working with community member and friend rowdyb00t who has previously made some cool cloud mods with our current technology. This new cloud technology has great potential and of course it will take some artistic talent to make it look it’s best. They should also offer better visuals with no loss of performance over the current technology, at least that’s what we see in early testing.

We think you’ll like these new clouds and we’ll work to get these to you as soon as we can. The technology is being perfected as we speak and we will begin work on making the new cloud content shortly. Then they will go into testing with release hopefully in a few months.

Full text and visuals HERE. Please be polite and on target.

:salute:

Jason

• Like 27
  • Thanks 15
  • Upvote 4

LR.TheRedPanda

AWESOME!

Will it be possible to disconnect the cloud rendering quality from the presets in future? Would be a great to run this on older PCs like mine at higher setting and not have a pixelated blur or pattern at distance but have the performance to run it. 

This is going to be a game changer:o:

Edited by LR.TheRedPanda
  • Upvote 4

The new cloud tech looks excellent!!

And with no performance hit over current clouds. 

Can’t ask for more than that!

Edited by TheSNAFU
  • Upvote 1

JG51_Beazil

First off, wow!  And way to go rowdyb00t!  I'm thinking of the original clouds and that damned silhouette we used to get from them to these screenies.  What amazing progress.  This whole sim has been coming together so beautifully that every update is exciting.  Thanks team!  You folks are amazing.

• Upvote 8

Imperator_TFD

The localised weather is the part that has me the most excited about this.

I'm very keen to learn how that works and whether or not mission makers could possibly have control over where the rain/snow might be located.

Example: players take off in the rain in England, fly over the Channel into sunny France to bomb something then fly home to land in the rain again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 12

SCG_motoadve

This is a great improvement, and will make the sim more immersive.

I have used rowdyb00t and its really good, its great to hear he is joining forces to create the new clouds.

Hope to see some grey skies and realistic overcast weather.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

JG51_Beazil
3 minutes ago, Imperator_TFD said:

The localised weather is the part that has me the most excited about this.

I'm very keen to learn how that works and whether or not mission makers could possibly have control over where the rain/snow might be located.

Example: players take off in the rain in England, fly over the Channel into sunny France to bomb something then fly home to land in the rain again.

That's what I imagined could be possible.  Mission makers could have a field day with this change.

They also have localized rain showers and react well with the lighting creating a beautiful scene. 

Big news. I never loved the perma-rain that stretched across the entire map, this is huge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

OH Yes!

This is a considerable upgrade on cloud quality and the look of the game itself.

Well done guys!

=KG76=flyus747

Very impressive stuff.

Will:

- dynamic weather with different localized at ospheric conditions?

- cumulonimbus clouds?

Be part of the end goal here?

=VARP=Ribbon

Looks great and as always hearing performance being kept is music to my ears!

Impressive work 💪

Still i hope you guys will work on gameplay variety that has been stale for years, B-25/26 and some torpedo bomber (ju88a17) for BoBp/BoN would be a step up in right direction IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

KPnutskgwanchos

Superb news ... been using rowdyb00t mod for some time so this will make a great MOD even better 👍

OMG! I had a cumulo'rgasm watching this!

Just asking: same tech as old cloud where planes in front of a cloud are slightly blurred?

Luftschiff

Wow, really didn't expect a superb patch and a DD the same week!
Thank you for your hard work!

Is there any hope to reduce the blurriness of clouds in the future? Would love to see some crisper outlines and 'solid' shapes.

Curious Kids: how do the clouds stay up in the sky?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Simply kicking goals - AGAIN!! Well done devs! Just fills me with some much hope for the future seeing the development continuing in style! 

Keep up the good fight - your product is rocking!!

Salute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I./TG3-J_Muller
18 minutes ago, Luftschiff said:

Wow, really didn't expect a superb patch and a DD the same week!
Thank you for your hard work!

Is there any hope to reduce the blurriness of clouds in the future? Would love to see some crisper outlines and 'solid' shapes.

Curious Kids: how do the clouds stay up in the sky?

I feel like that is extremely hard to make. Even Flight sim 2020 doesn't have those kind of clouds

• Upvote 1

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic