Is there a way to trap return to base message and act on it?

PatrickAWlson

PatrickAWlson

If the flight leader issues a RTB message I would like to activate the landing approach WP.  Is there a way to catch an event when the RTB command is given?

I would have loved to be able to have a way to also catch events like when when typing a key command but unfortunately it is not possible or I did not find a way to do it.

• Upvote 1

PatrickAWlson
8 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

I would have loved to be able to have a way to also catch events like when when typing a key command but unfortunately it is not possible or I did not find a way to do it.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was not seeing it. Wanted to ask and make sure.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:49 AM, PatrickAWlson said:

If the flight leader issues a RTB message I would like to activate the landing approach WP.  Is there a way to catch an event when the RTB command is given?

Absolutely doable - you simply need to design your logic accordingly. I have radio messages play etc when the AI leader initiates RTB.

You just need to decide what your RTB trigger is. I use a form-up waypoint with a timer.

AEthelraedUnraed
16 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Absolutely doable - you simply need to design your logic accordingly. I have radio messages play etc when the AI leader initiates RTB.

You just need to decide what your RTB trigger is. I use a form-up waypoint with a timer.

I think Patrick means when the AI decides to RTB by itself, because of either bingo ammo or too much damage.

9 minutes ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

I think Patrick means when the AI decides to RTB by itself, because of either bingo ammo or too much damage.

I know - but you can account for that in your logic because you do have bingo ammo and damage reports. ;)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

AEthelraedUnraed
Just now, Gambit21 said:

I know - but you can account for that in your logic because you do have bingo ammo and damage reports. ;)

That's a good one, I didn't think of it. Obviously, when an AI RTBs, it's either because of an OnBingoAmmo message or an OnDamaged message, or an OnBingoFuel message. So, therefore, if you input all of those into a 1x counter, it basically gives the "OnRTBMessage". Good thinking!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

PatrickAWlson

So funnel on bingo ammo, on bingo fuel, and on damaged (maybe on critical damaged instead?) and on pilot wounded  into a counter that then activates the WP.  Nice.  That's very useful as it encompasses most of the reasons to break off a mission.  

Never used bingo ammo before.  Does that mean out of ammo or low on ammo?

I was looking to find a way to cut a mission short and change the WP based on the player radioing RTB.  The idea was really just activate the last WP for the player's use.  The AI could not care less because they have been told RTB and will now ignore WPs.  

15 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I was looking to find a way to cut a mission short and change the WP based on the player radioing RTB.

I’d have killed for a player input trigger.

As it stands, you can use “on fired flare” for a stand-in player input trigger. Fire flare = Miller Time, heading home.

Bingo bombs/guns fires when the aircraft is empty of said ordnance.

Edit: As far as what damage report is best to use, this is a bit tricky. There’s a “threshold” setting that I played with briefly, but not long enough to arrive at any conclusions.

Edited by Gambit21

PatrickAWlson

Won't do what I want but might actually produce more useful improvements, so thanks.

I did not see "on fired flare" as an event or a report in the ME.

AEthelraedUnraed
10 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I was looking to find a way to cut a mission short and change the WP based on the player radioing RTB.

As Gambit says, the different Bingo Ammo events fire when it's empty, not when it's low on ammo.

I do this in a campaign that I'm currently making (very similar to Gambit's P-47 campaign). As a programmer, I tend to think of ways in which my current logic could go wrong, such as, you need to destroy a target but the player, being a complete moron, has just fired all his .50 at a Tiger tank. As such, I've usually got multiple MCU's that trigger the RTB counter: the "usual" way, a timeout timer and a Bingo Ammo. I'm currently contemplating whether I should add an event for whenever the player is damaged, that then triggers an RTB and cancels all other objectives in progress.

2 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I did not see "on fired flare" as an event or a report in the ME.

It's in the Complex Trigger.

• Thanks 1