To Steam or not to Steam?

Uncle-Pip

Hello chaps! History and flying are my things, rather than gaming as such. Therefore I took the decision to buy stand alone BoS and BoK from the il2sturmovik.com website. I don't currently have Steam at all.  I'm very happy learning to fly the aircraft and playing Career Mode for the moment (using a Windows partition on my MacBook).

When I do get round to multiplayer, I'm getting the impression that the best way to find flying buddies and do voice comms is on Steam, and may be the only way.

1. Am I right in thinking this?

2. If I do have to join Steam, will I need to repurchase and redownload the game, or would I be able to use my current registration?

Multiplayer (and basically everything else) is the same whether you are on Steam BoS or not. Voice through different Discord sites, SRS, ... The best way to find people to fly with is to hop on the different Discords.

• Thanks 1

You're welcome. Usually the Discords are advertised on the multiplayer servers. So just hop in one of them and read the generic info that the server provides. 

For example for the Finnish server you'll find the Discord link (among other things) from the stats.virtualpilots.fi webpage.