VR Update this weekend!

ATAG_Pattle

ATAG_Pattle
Hi all,

This weekend, we will be releasing an update on a number of exciting player focused features coming to VR implementation in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz/Desert Wings Tobruk!

The background is a sneak peak at one of them!

Hint: Don't get fixated on one element of the picture. :)

Can you guess what it is?

Cheers,

TFS Team

VR update 1.png

• Like 18

Hope to learn what hmd's are you testing with and status of menu mods needed for VR users, also to see video of trueSKY in action.

9./JG52_J-HAT

Info Window toggle is a thing now? 

And what API are you guys using? I see WMR because of the G2, but SteamVR or Open XR?

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT

Mtnbiker1998

Looking forward to trying this out in Blitz! I may likely be buying Tubruk soon with this news

• Upvote 1

This is strangely worded. 

This weekend is there going to be a downloadable update with VR support?

Or are you going to “update us” with news on VR support? i.e. an announcement of an announcement?

kissTheSky
3 minutes ago, Mewt said:

This is strangely worded. 

This weekend is there going to be a downloadable update with VR support?

Or are you going to “update us” with news on VR support? i.e. an announcement of an announcement?

More like an update to the game that will be some underlying features for future VR update. But, I’m not a native speaker of English.  

=RS=Funkie

I don't quite know what we're guessing here... are we analysing the image for clues?

To my knowledge, the feature that we're waiting on for VR is TrueSky, so we're not flying through 2d sprite clouds. That would be the obvious.

Apart from that, what I see in the image is HP reverb. So perhaps that confirmed compatibility right there. 
Looking more closely, I can't quite work out any of the icons on the taskbar. But I do see another monitor to the left which is displaying a different perspective. I notice that  there is a gap between the cockpit frame and the horizontal stabiliser, and that gap is not visible in the VR feed. But I have no idea what that could mean. 

I also have no idea what the HMD is sitting on that would have what looks like torn paper, and a blue lid? at the top.

If I could make a request of the Devs. PLEASE allow some options for how the VR is shown on the desktop.

1) Stereoscopic - as shown.
2) Single eye - Allow which eye is displayed (this helps with people who do video recordings)
3) Disabled - If allow the desktop mirror to be black, it could potentially save on resources for lower end PCs.

71st_AH_Mastiff
19 hours ago, 9./JG52_J-HAT said:

Info Window toggle is a thing now? 

And what API are you guys using? I see WMR because of the G2, but SteamVR or Open XR?

uh G2 uses Steam Vr open XR.

9./JG52_J-HAT
1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

uh G2 uses Steam Vr open XR.

But if a game has OpenXR, it doesn‘t need SteamVR afaik. Like MSFS.

SteamVR‘s API is called OpenVR, not OpenXR. Those are two different things. 

Or am I not understanding something?

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT

Easy guys, in my opinion the present thread is easily understandable as Pattle is simply and kindly informing of the situation at Team Fusion: even if (apparently) for the moment there's nothing they can show in connection with the VR thing, they are about to enter into a new step in the VR-implementation process. Thank you Team Fusion for you brought good news: no news is good news... and good news is even better news.

• Like 1

71st_AH_Mastiff
3 hours ago, 9./JG52_J-HAT said:

But if a game has OpenXR, it doesn‘t need SteamVR afaik. Like MSFS.

SteamVR‘s API is called OpenVR, not OpenXR. Those are two different things. 

Or am I not understanding something?

G2 is capable of open X R, it was just written in code a couple months ago, but I think it still runs tandem with WMR. It’s never made since to me as why it needs WMR and open steamVR also. 

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

71st_AH_Mastiff

in the picture I can see WMR running. With that its a steam game it will run on Steam VR API, so this would mean its compatible with the others.

and I can just make out the Steam VR icon in that pic.

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

24 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

in the picture I can see WMR running. With that its a steam game it will run on Steam VR API, so this would mean its compatible with the others.

and I can just make out the Steam VR icon in that pic.

If you can see that, than that‘s it. I can‘t really see any of the tabs on that pic lol. Only made out the WMR blue icon.

Yeah, for the G2 WMR always needs to be running. 

Two comments only:

The simulation that is visible on screen is a typical doubled projection for VR, in this instance showing the rear area in the cockpit of a Macchi M.202... but there's no apparent connection between what is visible on this photographed monitor and the position of the headset. That latter is turned towards the right wing... thus the right wing area should be visible, not the rear (unless the view is not centered...).

Other than that, as Funkie pointed out, this is a Reverb G2. That would be good news if Team Fusion Simulations managed to make that headset is compatible with "Cliffs of Dover".

I agree with the check six theory. Somehow using the track ir to look behind you easily without turning your whole head/body, unless the track ir is a red herring and the meaning of the image is completely different.

GOA_FirebirdCRI_VR

We need a bind key for looking our six ( Without any third party program ) , please conciderate that for our necks :(

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Just to be clear, as it appears some community members believe VR will launch this weekend.

The update is it to let everyone know our VR progress.  It is coming along well.  In fact very well.

We are not at Beta yet, and will announce the when the time comes.

Enjoying the theories around the pic. Some are close :) On the weekend, we will show a quick video from that pic. Then players will get a good look.

Ok, that's the last clue :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:28 PM, ATAG_Pattle said:

This weekend, we will be releasing an update on a number of exciting player focused features coming to VR implementation in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz/Desert Wings

I understood this to be an update on some the features of VR which is coming to the game... it certainly doesn't say VR is coming at the weekend or anything else...

On 9/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, ATAG_Pattle said:

To clarify, this is a WIP update, not release.

Cheers,

Pattle

Hmm... might be good to amend the thread title then, maybe:

VR Progress Update this weekend!

P.S. I don't use VR but I'll be quite curious as always.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

You VR boys... so fickle and unpredictable, but don't worry, if it is 'held back' it'll only be a couple of (insert answer here...)

Let me fix that for you: 

"You VR boys... So passionate and excitable,..."

:)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Why fall into us vs them divisiveness? We are just trying to get a little bit of clarity on when we are likely to be able to make use of the new features that have been touted. Hopefully the announced "announcement" will be of some use. The disclaimers already provided in this thread suggest that VR is not happening in 2021. Since VR was confirmed in May of this year I would hope that it will be available by end of May 2022.

Here I was, excited VR would come this weekend to Cliffs. First of all I'm happy to see updates from you guys very often, but you need a format for your game updates. Make it like a news letter, dev diary and stick to a schedule, so people can look forward to the update. These misunderstandings because of ambiguous wording are unfortunate. If you look at the steam comments for this update, most of them are unaware it isn't a VR update for the game, but rather a news letter about the progress on the VR implementation.

I hope we also get to see some pics, maybe even video (?) of the new clouds as well as 4K textures !?

One of the (newer) features I so love about CLOD is the new joystick wizard program.

Plugging in that new joy-stick/hotas makes it a truly a ... joy ! 

• Like 1

343KKT_Kintaro
8 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Guess: Clouds?? .. 

I thought about that possibility... but then, why this caption "VR update this weekend" ??

VR and TrueSky are separated things.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 2:28 PM, ATAG_Pattle said:
Hi all, ... Can you guess what it is?

Reminds me of this old stereroscopic pictures. 

image.jpeg.dda39b953997a927e8d430ccdad0d294.jpeg
:salute: ~V~

Edited by Varrattu
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

VR and TrueSky are separated things.

Hi Kintaro, 

:salute:

Yes this is very true, maybe I just read into it to much.  As mentioned, a number of exciting player focused features coming to VR implementation & The background is a sneak peak at one of them!

I just assumed this meant more than just VR implementation?

Hello All

It is important for everyone to understand the process TF is following:

-  VR will be released as part of the Visual Update package... not on its own.  All the other elements, i.e. trueSKY, 4k, Speedtree 8, etc. will need to be complete.  We are not going to release a series of smaller patches which will not have the big impact a total package will.  We want the community to see the game has been comprehensively revised... that this Visual Update is a big step forward.

-  Until we have completed a public Beta for VR, there will be no release.  We want to make sure VR is properly integrated with the existing game and that it works well.  We don't want to release poorly integrated code which will kill community interest.  This has to be done right.  So until the Beta is complete, the Update will not happen.

As mentioned, those in the community who have VR equipment will be offered a chance to participate. 

I understand people want all these new elements as soon as possible... but they should understand TF is already bending over backwards for the community by releasing the Visual Update ahead of TF 6.0... we are providing this Update for free... we could have held the update to VR/trueSKY/Speedtree/4k until the release of TF 6.0... and linked the Upgrade to the purchase of that module... but we are not doing that... we are offering it for free to owners of BLITZ and TOBRUK in the hopes they will return that trust by purchasing TF 6.0 when it comes out. 

So I hope people will understand TF's path forwards and offer the same trust to TF which we are providing to the community.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3