flicker reduction game and propeller?

hal_900

TLDR: accessibility options to reduce flicker, anyone?

Has anything been done to reduce flicker in subsequent updates since last year?

The 4.5 update introduced significant flicker into the game for me and still appears as such. Running with and without any AA seems to make little difference overall to the visual quality of the game.

One of the things I have noticed is that propeller flicker seems to have increased and will cause me visual problems in single engine aircraft. If there is no propeller on screen it is easier for me to play the game and it is easier for me to play the game on flying circus as the planes are slower and the flicker of the propeller is slower.

Realistically would you be able to see the propeller unless the engine was at slow speed? Videos of planes flying seem to only show the propeller due to the camera shutterspeed. If you see a plane flying in real life you do not see the propeller in the same way as great battles.

The propellers in CLOD seem to me more realistic and do not cause flicker.

These issues persist on two separate machines each with Nvidia graphics and I have tried everything driverwise. There was no issue before the 4.5 upgrade last year, I believe this was the update that made 'spotting' LOD changes, I believe this made objects flicker to make them more visible, you can see this if you fly past / through clouds in any game mode there is a significant 'shimmer' flicker surrounding the plane.

Edited by hal_900

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

Try having settings like HDR and SSAO off. HDR makes the game look overly bright and SSAO brings very little to the table except a performance loss. 

They are already disabled, again none of this was an issue before the 4.5 upgrade last year. I posted screenshots that show the AA does not appear to work at any setting, there is considerable flicker all the time.

Even with all additional graphics settings disabled it still occurs, even with defaults it still occurs. I have reinstalled the game etc

This also occurrs on a different machine running the game. Something significant happened at 4.5 to cause this

No flicker here.

On Wednesday I saw the Duxford Lysander and Harvard pass over in close formation and I could see the prop blur.

Can't help without knowing system specs etc.

von Tom

AEthelraedUnraed

Also, what do you mean with prop flicker? Can you post a short video?

Perphaps I should reprase it, realistically none of this was an issue before the 4.5 update last year. Can a developer confirm what changes were made that cause flicker? This would be perceptible to most people but it is a trigger for migraines for me. This affects two sytems on all and any driver.

I would just like to know what it is / was that was done. I totally understand that this just might be me, I cant look at strobe lights for example as they also affect me. Thats the closest thing I can say its like. It was night and day on the update, I had 200+ hours in the game before but after I can only play for a few minutes and I have to stop (its 100% not my screens on either hardware) I know there have been several updates since but the game is still not really playable for me. Its the Steam version if it matters.

Can I purchase an older version for offline play only directly from the studio / developers?

i7 6700k, GTX1060, 12GB ram W10 20H2 home (may be 2004 would have to double check) / Ryzen 3600, GTX1660S 16gb ram W10 20H2 pro

I can dig out some more screenshots but this is the sort of blur / flicker that seems to have been introduced is attached.

You can see blur around objects when going over / near clouds, obvoiusly this is a small example but when moving about you can see a 'shimmer' of black blur around edges against sky / cloud.

The text in the game also seems to have been changed, jagged flickering edges are present, you can see this more clearly when you zoom in. Font smoothing / aliasing changes throughout?

I can try to upload a video but its difficult due to file size limits. The propeller flikers is all I can say and you can see it on video.

blur1.png

blur2.png

Edited by hal_900

AEthelraedUnraed

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you can't play IL2 with your current configuration for medical reasons.

11 hours ago, hal_900 said:

Perphaps I should reprase it, realistically none of this was an issue before the 4.5 update last year. Can a developer confirm what changes were made that cause flicker? This would be perceptible to most people but it is a trigger for migraines for me. This affects two sytems on all and any driver.

The relative update changelogs are here:

What you seem to be talking about is the flicker around edges when an aircraft is in front of clouds. This is a well-known problem and has existed for many years. In fact, recent updates (might've indeed been 4.501) have made it better, but perhaps this improvement actually makes things worse for your specific medical condition.

I don't think it's possible to download a specific historical version. You might e-mail support, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. However, there are a number of possible solutions:

- If it's indeed the cloud flicker, you won't see it if you fly with a clear sky. You could simply only fly with clear skies from now on.

- Try different resolutions and anti-alias settings.

- Try out different cloud settings (low to extreme). Some might reduce the flickering.

- You might try the Realistic Clouds Mod, that seems to reduce flicker in many cases. Again, play around with the different versions of the mod and the different cloud settings (low to high): https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53511-mod-realistic-clouds-updated-4-25-2021/

- I don't think so, but a different prop texture *might* help. Try the following: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/62083-mod-request-prop-texture/

Let us know if any of these solutions help or at least reduce the problem.

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

Help could also arrive in form of the new cloud system under works as devs mentioned some time ago. When is an another issue. 

Thanks all for the response so far.

I believe it must've been these changes:

4.501 update:

"The distant LOD scaling system has been adjusted, their lighting has been made full, atmospheric haze option and an increased MSAA level have been added."

I dont know if mentioning other games is allowed here but there are some which affect me the same way and which seem to flicker badly for me, the exeption being with IL2BOS I was able to play the game with no issues before the update.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:54 PM, AEthelraedUnraed said:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you can't play IL2 with your current configuration for medical reasons.

The relative update changelogs are here:

What you seem to be talking about is the flicker around edges when an aircraft is in front of clouds. This is a well-known problem and has existed for many years. In fact, recent updates (might've indeed been 4.501) have made it better, but perhaps this improvement actually makes things worse for your specific medical condition.

I don't think it's possible to download a specific historical version. You might e-mail support, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. However, there are a number of possible solutions:

- If it's indeed the cloud flicker, you won't see it if you fly with a clear sky. You could simply only fly with clear skies from now on.

- Try different resolutions and anti-alias settings.

- Try out different cloud settings (low to extreme). Some might reduce the flickering.

- You might try the Realistic Clouds Mod, that seems to reduce flicker in many cases. Again, play around with the different versions of the mod and the different cloud settings (low to high): https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53511-mod-realistic-clouds-updated-4-25-2021/

- I don't think so, but a different prop texture *might* help. Try the following: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/62083-mod-request-prop-texture/

Let us know if any of these solutions help or at least reduce the problem.

I have already tried several different graphics settings from lowest to highest but I am still affected unfortunately. Its almost as if something is flickering constantly no matter what and I believe this is related to whatever a LOD change is (I dont really understand what this is) AND/ OR its the lighting change?

It was just 'easy' to see the flicker / blur around objects when planes / parachutes etc are travelling over clouds, perhaps its always doing this but is only viewable drawn over a cloud? Maybe this flicker is the LOD / spotting change - making something flicker makes it easier to see?

I didnt know about mods and textures but I'll have a look at that and report back.

AEthelraedUnraed
4 hours ago, hal_900 said:

I have already tried several different graphics settings from lowest to highest but I am still affected unfortunately. Its almost as if something is flickering constantly no matter what and I believe this is related to whatever a LOD change is (I dont really understand what this is) AND/ OR its the lighting change?

LOD is when an object changes to a version with a lower polygon count at a certain distance to save GPU.  E.g. when an airplane is more than X metres away from the camera, it'll stop rendering small 3d details since you won't really see them at that distance anyway, while they will eat up rendering time. I don't think this has anything to do with your issue. 

4 hours ago, hal_900 said:

It was just 'easy' to see the flicker / blur around objects when planes / parachutes etc are travelling over clouds, perhaps its always doing this but is only viewable drawn over a cloud? Maybe this flicker is the LOD / spotting change - making something flicker makes it easier to see?

Nope, it's just in front of clouds. A simplified explanation is that they render the clouds at a lower resolution. They could render it at full resolution, but peoples' hardware is just not up to that. Hence, they render it at a smaller resolution at the cost of a few minor disadvantages, among which the flickering. Most people will likely not even notice it, but in your specific case it apparently causes migraine.

Hence the reason that most of my suggestions have something to do with clouds. Anyway, let us know if it helps.