Developer Diary 292 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Dear Pilots,

Today we want to show you some WIP pics of the P-51B/C with the birdcage style canopy. It really changes the look of the P-51 and it's obvious why they changed to the bubble style canopy with the "D" model and some "B" airframes had their birdcage replaced with the 'Malcolm Hood' canopy which was a semi-bubble modification. We will also model the Malcolm Hood. 

Also, if you happen to have any detailed references on the Malcolm Hood's canopy frame, rails or emergency release mechanism please share them with us. We could use some more detailed pictures or drawings of it.  

The P-51B/C is unfortunately behind schedule and should have been ready by now, but she is getting ever closer to release and likely to be finished next month.

:salute:

FULL TEXT AND VISUALS IS HERE.

Jason

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 3

=621=Samikatz

Cool looking airplane! Excited to see how big of a handling difference there is between it and the D model. I imagine it'll be subtle, but definitely still there

=gRiJ=Roman-

Great! The future adding of the Malcom hood is a nice touch. Thanks a lot for this spirit of historical accuracy. We all love it! 

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

catchthefoxes

Wow! Stoked to hear that we’re getting the malcom hood as well, it’s actually one of my favorite looking canopies on the earlier mustang!! That’s pretty exiting!!! Thanks IL2 team!! 🤠

6./ZG26_Custard

Lovely P-51 and really excellent detail on the Bomber pilots. Hopefully, one day we'll get something else to put them in even if it's ai? 

EDIT: Saying that, really looking forward to seeing them in the B-26

B-24Ds_fly_over_Polesti_during_World_War_II.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Hmm, not sure what happened to the last question I posted, it looks like it didn't go through. I will try again. When the P-51B/C is released, will it have the correct ammunition type?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 15

Lord_Strange

I'm interested to know how the two bomber pilot models will be implemented (with and without flak armour). Is it a time period thing where the armour came later in the war or will it depend on the crewman's position in the bomber?

• Upvote 1

Cool 'stang shots :good:

Is that a Junker in the background, or soon to be junker?

Spoiler

junker.thumb.jpg.9f8e2b2a989b570b47acd548e0863fc6.jpg

Edited by Pict

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
27 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

Hmm, not sure what happened to the last question I posted, it looks like it didn't go through. I will try again. When the P-51B/C is released, will it have the correct ammunition type?

Stop trolling. It will have the same as the D and all our .50s. If you are referring to API then no, it will have to be developed later as I have said many times.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 16

Aurora_Stealth
39 minutes ago, percydanvers said:

love the look of the early mustangs. So sleek and deadly... like an American 109

Yeah I like the look of it too, know what you mean... especially with the green paint on the wings/fuselage and the variety of fancy spinner colours they used.

I'm really hoping the B model will handle comparatively like how the razorback P-47 does compared to the bubble-top, slightly more slick and lithe to handle.

Edited by Aurora_Stealth

FTC_Mephisto

Great images, really looking forward to the new Mustang.

Just to clarify: “Next month” is referring to October? 

Thank you.

• Like 1

AEthelraedUnraed

I've noticed the latest dev pics don't seem to have the dynamic numbering; will they be released with it, or will it be added at a later time? Also, is there any ETA on when the existing aircraft will get this function?

46 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

EDIT: Saying that, really looking forward to seeing them in the B-26

Especially if it's flyable :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

JG4_Widukind

I hope someday the bugs will be fixed instead of always bringing new content. Nevertheless, thank you for your work! S!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
11 minutes ago, QB.Rails said:

Later as in another 2 years down the road? How long does it take to develop a bullet?

Sorry, you want a bullet that starts fires. We have to not only develop the bullet and it's specific characteristics, physics and flight profile, we also have to create a whole new set of fire effects and how it interacts with fuel and materials. It's a lot more than just making a bullet. Now go and retrofit 70 planes with all this. I also HAVE ZERO engineers, modelers or game world programmers to work on any of this at the moment. I've also have 9 vacancies available... actually now 7 but they are all in critical areas that if I we can find them we can do some parallel development instead of constant linear work.

Enough of you and your constant harping. Everyone here has to have patience, as do I. I have to wait to build stuff I want to give you. Just as frustrating. 

Jason 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 36

ROCKET_KNUT
Just now, Jason_Williams said:

Sorry, you want a bullet that starts fires.

Doing actual damage would be fine for a start...

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 6

For the thousandth time, this does not have to be some big, expensive undertaking to implement API - folks in the community without any game development experience were able to change some configuration values without touching any compiled code to create ballistics that approximate reality. As it currently stands, all late-war Allied birds are using ball ammo modelled for the early war P40. If only there was a well-researched, clearly written post on the forums along with the correct values for this ammunition... 

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 12

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
Just now, QB.Creep said:

For the thousandth time, this does not have to be some big, expensive undertaking to implement API - folks in the community without any game development experience were able to change some configuration values without touching any compiled code to create ballistics that approximate reality. As it currently stands, all late-war Allied birds are using ball ammo modelled for the early war P40. If only there was a well-researched, clearly written post on the forums along with the correct values for this ammunition... 

For the thousandth time, if your mod is so great then people can use it, but you made a make believe exploding bullet.

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Sorry, you want a bullet that starts fires. We have to not only develop the bullet and it's specific characteristics, physics and flight profile, we also have to create a whole new set of fire effects and how it interacts with fuel and materials. It's a lot more than just making a bullet. Now go and retrofit 70 planes with all this. I also HAVE ZERO engineers, modelers or game world programmers to work on any of this at the moment. I've also have 9 vacancies available... actually now 7 but they are all in critical areas that if I we can find them we can do some parallel development instead of constant linear work.

Enough of you and your constant harping. Everyone here has to have patience, as do I. I have to wait to build stuff I want to give you. Just as frustrating. 

Jason 

HE already blows up fuel tanks and ammo boxes on aircraft. I’m not sure what else you need to put in the aircraft. It’s literally your M2 ballistics file, but with fire. And even then your M2 ballistics file values are slightly off as well. 

• Upvote 2

ShamrockOneFive

P-51B model is looking good and starting to come along there. I'm really curious about handling differences between the B and D and how that will feel. I'm guessing a bit like the P-47 but then again the Mustang is a very different aircraft.

In any case, going to have to some fun with this one when it comes out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 minute ago, QB.Rails said:

HE already blows up fuel tanks and ammo boxes on aircraft. I’m not sure what else you need to put in the aircraft. It’s literally your M2 ballistics file, but with fire. And even then your M2 ballistics file values are slightly off as well. 

I'm glad you are a better developer and researchers than we are. As I have said many, many times, it's not so easy to get it perfect or willy-nilly add things.

Thread closed due to the usual hijacking. Have a great weekend everyone.

Jason

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 6

=RS=EnvyC
1 minute ago, Jason_Williams said:

For the thousandth time, if your mod is so great then people can use it, but you made a make believe exploding bullet.

Jason

Poor excuse, you know perfectly well that if you enable mods on servers you enable EVERYTHING. Give server owners the ability to discriminate which mods are ok and which aren't, aka a whitelist, and perhaps you might actually have a worthwhile point.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• Jason_Williams locked this topic
  • 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 minute ago, =RS=EnvyC said:

Poor excuse, you know perfectly well that if you enable mods on servers you enable EVERYTHING. Give server owners the ability to discriminate which mods are ok and which aren't, aka a whitelist, and perhaps you might actually have a worthwhile point.

Ya cause that easy to do.

Jason

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 7

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic