Submarine to dive when planes are spotted

IckyATLAS

IckyATLAS

I have a submarine that is headed to a waypoint far away say 50 km away. He is on the surface of the sea and moves at 20 kph speed.

The waypoint has been activated and the sub is going towards it.

I also have an active proximity trigger that will fire whenever a specific plane is around 7 km from the submarine.

What I would like to do is that the submarine will dive when the proximity trigger has fired s the plane passed that distance.

To do this I use a Deactivate MCU for the present waypoint and activate an alternate waypoint that has a negative Y coordinate which will make the sub dive.

I have not been able to implement this behavior.

If I deactivate the waypoint to which the submarine is going nothing happens and the sub continue until it reaches it.

Using a Force Complete command does not cancel the initial order to go to the waypoint.

Is such a behavior not possible to implement? It would be a big limitation.

Edited by IckyATLAS

2 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

I have a submarine that is headed to a waypoint far away say 50 km away. He is on the surface of the sea and moves at 20 kph speed.

The waypoint has been activated and the sub is going towards it.

I also have an active proximity trigger that will fire whenever a specific plane is around 7 km from the submarine.

What I would like to do is that the submarine will dive when the proximity trigger has fired s the plane passed that distance.

To do this I use a Deactivate MCU for the present waypoint and activate an alternate waypoint that has a negative Y coordinate which will make the sub dive.

I have not been able to implement this behavior.

If I deactivate the waypoint to which the submarine is going nothing happens and the sub continue until it reaches it.

Using a Force Complete command does not cancel the initial order to go to the waypoint.

Is such a behavior not possible to implement? It would be a big limitation.

I have written a mission, it works for me, when a plane reaches a certain proximity, there is a warning sound and the submarine dives.

U-boot.zip

• Thanks 1

IckyATLAS
2 hours ago, namhee2 said:

I have written a mission, it works for me, when a plane reaches a certain proximity, there is a warning sound and the submarine dives.

U-boot.zip 5.51 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you very much for your mission. In fact mine is identical except for one thing, and I saw it immediately by looking at your mission.

I activated a waypoint, but its not to activate (I mean using MCU Activate)I have to make him to activate or work by sending a target link as I did for the first one. But i did not trigger the new waypoint. 

How did this so standard thing skip my attention. Sometimes you stay stuck not seeing what is trivial.

Thank you again for the eye opener. 😉

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 1

I have logic where the sub dives when the plane is near, and surfaces again when far enough away - them will repeat if that or another enemy place approaches.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

jollyjack
1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

I have logic where the sub dives when the plane is near, and surfaces again when far enough away - them will repeat if that or another enemy place approaches.

How's one for a destroyer or torpedo boat that starts circling and throwing dept charges on this submerged U boat?

AEthelraedUnraed
20 hours ago, jollyjack said:

How's one for a destroyer or torpedo boat that starts circling and throwing dept charges on this submerged U boat?

Should be possible, except for the depth charges, but would hardly be realistic. A sub won't stay at periscope depth if there's a destroyer circling around it.

IckyATLAS

The good question here can a submarine at periscope depth be damaged or sunk by a bomb landing just nearby a periscope.

Or is a submarine in this sim invulnerable when underwater.

I plan to test this as I have not found a definitive answer to that.

In my mission I do consider that when damaged a sub cannot dive or if underwater then it has to surface, but I am not sure it will work if damaging underwater is not possible.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:12 AM, IckyATLAS said:

The good question here can a submarine at periscope depth be damaged or sunk by a bomb landing just nearby a periscope

Yes.  It takes precision as the periscope and it's wake can be difficult to see at range depending on weather and Sea State.  (more chop, more difficulty seeing).  I have been able to sink submerged subs with FAB 100M bombs.  Smaller is quite difficult unless you can drop directly on the periscope area.  Larger you can be less precise but not by much.

Attack profile is important.  Broadside approaches are very hard and only work well with surface ships however you can hit the sub if you are precise/lucky.  End runs from bow or stern are usually much more successful.  Direction doesn't matter as the sub's submerged speed is relatively slow.

At least that has been my experience.

(*what would be nice would be the ability to see the sub shape under water from above when it's submerged.  it could be really lo poly, just a suggestion of it's shape much like real life)

884060f90600d20cf751b46f73c601b8.jpg.8cac9b9eca3b991ee54d45a8fb508d5a.jpg

Edited by Beebop
  • Thanks 1

Knarley-Bob
On 9/6/2021 at 3:12 AM, IckyATLAS said:

The good question here can a submarine at periscope depth be damaged or sunk by a bomb landing just nearby a periscope.

Or is a submarine in this sim invulnerable when underwater.

I plan to test this as I have not found a definitive answer to that.

In my mission I do consider that when damaged a sub cannot dive or if underwater then it has to surface, but I am not sure it will work if damaging underwater is not possible.

One would surmise that the detonation timer would also factor in....

On 9/9/2021 at 3:01 PM, Beebop said:

(*what would be nice would be the ability to see the sub shape under water from above when it's submerged.  it could be really lo poly, just a suggestion of it's shape much like real life)

884060f90600d20cf751b46f73c601b8.jpg.8cac9b9eca3b991ee54d45a8fb508d5a.jpg

The water is just a flat opaque plane (mesh) with a procedural texture/animation running.

There’s no way to achieve your submerged sub effect with the current water. There’s no transparency as such.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gambit for the explanation.  Actually, thinking about it, even with a perfectly flat sea you could only see the sub underwater if you were directly, or close to directly, above it.  Any angle beyond a few degrees of vertical and the sun would refract just the surface anyway.

Truth is we don't need a lot of "Hollywood".  It's a Sim, not a Cin(ema).

1 hour ago, Beebop said:

Thanks Gambit for the explanation.  Actually, thinking about it, even with a perfectly flat sea you could only see the sub underwater if you were directly, or close to directly, above it.  Any angle beyond a few degrees of vertical and the sun would refract just the surface anyway.

Truth is we don't need a lot of "Hollywood".  It's a Sim, not a Cin(ema).

Ahem ahem..... if I may add a small comment, a sim means simulating the real world. So having transparency is not a fancy hollywood trick it is just a step towards "realism".

The way we achieve it is with graphic tricks whenever possible to reduce computation but that is a fair approach. Now in the long list of priorities it may be down under fine for me. But if you want to do a nice Pacific theater you need transparency because it will be the only way to nicely fly over lagoons and see the coral reefs from above.

The channel waters and north sea waters do not need really to be very transparent, anyway sky is often gray and rainy, but the pacific islands that's another story.

53 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

you need transparency because it will be the only way to nicely fly over lagoons and see the coral reefs from above.

A map of Margaritaville?  Cool!  😎  I suppose you will need to be 21 to download the map unless there's a 'Shirley Temple' version.  😁

Seriously, usually the reaction to ideas like visible submerged subs is some kind of "Hollywood" remark.

I can see that would be another stumbling block to a Pacific Theatre.  I'll bet this engine would have trouble reproducing that if at all.

14 minutes ago, Beebop said:

A map of Margaritaville?  Cool!  😎  I suppose you will need to be 21 to download the map unless there's a 'Shirley Temple' version.  😁

Seriously, usually the reaction to ideas like visible submerged subs is some kind of "Hollywood" remark.

I can see that would be another stumbling block to a Pacific Theatre.  I'll bet this engine would have trouble reproducing that if at all.

Well it’s already possible to simply change the transparency setting of the 2D plane that currently is used for the water. However underneath it currently is just a flat copy of that plane object.

The problems start to manifest however as soon as this happens. Without any Y axis thickness, you don’t have proper refraction. If you add the Y axis and set the refraction value properly, you now have actual 3D water but need resources to account for the calculation of these “photons” as they are influenced by the “water object” Now add that procedural animation with all those waves and things go through the roof fairly quickly I'd imagine - but any 3D engine should be capable of this.

You also have the issue of just what is underneath the water in the shallows. This must be created as well. 

So the current water solution is probably the best compromise for performance. All that said I don’t know everything and there might be other methods or workarounds that I’m not aware of. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, Gambit21 said:

Well it’s already possible to simply change the transparency setting of the 2D plane that currently is used for the water. However underneath it currently is just a flat copy of that plane object.

The problems start to manifest however as soon as this happens. Without any Y axis thickness, you don’t have proper refraction. If you add the Y axis and set the refraction value properly, you now have actual 3D water but need resources to account for the calculation of these “photons” as they are influenced by the “water object” Now add that procedural animation with all those waves and things go through the roof fairly quickly I'd imagine - but any 3D engine should be capable of this.

You also have the issue of just what is underneath the water in the shallows. This must be created as well. 

So the current water solution is probably the best compromise for performance. All that said I don’t know everything and there might be other methods or workarounds that I’m not aware of. 

So for a Pacific theater you need two maps. One is for underwater terrain (reefs corals) at least up to 50 meters deep where you see things in transparency but with a vanishing view around 50 meters. It would be a limited map only detailed for the coastal band up to 50 meters deep or so and then no feature at all. 

The other one is for the terrain as usual above sea level. 

There is so little terrain compared to the immensity of the sea that the double map approach should not impact much graphic performance.

Edited by IckyATLAS