sd.kfz. 10/5 instructions please.. Cannot find anything

KPnutskgwanchos

Do you have the GAZ truck? If so, it works more or less the same way - except you don't have to worry about setting target aspect angle or dive/climb rate with the Flak 38. Requiem has also created a tutorial on it:

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1

KPnutskgwanchos
2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Do you have the GAZ truck? If so, it works more or less the same way - except you don't have to worry about setting target aspect angle or dive/climb rate with the Flak 38. Requiem has also created a tutorial on it:

I dont have the truck but thank you ... I would have thought for the price there would have been some supporting information with the product but .....    🤔

• 4 weeks later...
SeaSerpent

Im new to this platform and am a little confused myself.  Without inputting a target aspect angle, and only an estimated speed, I take it it’s only valid for a shot on a target with a 90 deg aspect?  And in other situations, we are just estimating it by eye?  Or are we not inputting the estimated target speed, but only it’s tangential component relative to the gun (a plane coming directly towards us has zero lateral v)?

Edited by SeaSerpent

2 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

Im new to this platform and am a little confused myself.  Without inputting a target aspect angle, and only an estimated speed, I take it it’s only valid for a shot on a target with a 90 deg aspect?  And in other situations, we are just estimating it by eye?  Or are we not inputting the estimated target speed, but only it’s tangential component relative to the gun (a plane coming directly towards us has zero lateral v)?

The ring sight is for initial lead estimation - after that, you aim the gun by tracer fire.

The one speed being entered into the gun is the horizontal speed, which determines the size of the ring fitted to the gun.

The telescopic sight is for ground targets only. 

SeaSerpent

Ok, so if I understand correctly, with this gun, after that initial wag, it’s mainly just Kentucky windage, and not a lot of inputting parameters, just more intuitive.  

Edited by SeaSerpent

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent said:

Ok, so if I understand correctly, with this gun, after that initial wag, it’s mainly just Kentucky windage, and not a lot of inputting parameters, just more intuitive.  

Aye 👍🏻

This 1944 description of the ring sight should be of help: https://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt09/german-aa-sight-30-38.html. Note especially the last paragraph:

The sight is only intended to be used to direct the opening rounds; after that, fire is continued in accordance with observation of tracer. The sight is not used for the engagement of ground targets.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1