Jump to content

Intriguing TF6 comment from Buzzsaw


Mysticpuma
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mysticpuma

Blimey, what a huge undertaking but if it is a complete rebuild that will be hugely impressive and beneficial :)

 

20210815_230702.thumb.jpg.39ad87b41d69224830469b65d9a160db.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thundercracker

Now that's something to look forward too.

 

I wonder if it's just a retexture or if it includes new assets. Either way a massive undertaking.

Edited by Thundercracker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-332FG-drewm3i-VR

My only beef with the channel map currently is the lack of landmarks like St. Paul's, Salisbury Cathedral, Old Sarum, the cathedral in Calais, etc. Also the cliff textures need updating because they are too generic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

343KKT_Kintaro

I think this has already been officially announced. At some point in the past, but I can't remember when.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mysticpuma
2 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I think this has already been officially announced. At some point in the past, but I can't remember when.

Hi Kintaro, I haven't seen this before? 

Interesting to see if it will be a complete rebuild using the new map tools created for Tobruk or if it's bug fixes. 

Also whether it will be a larger area? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Avimimus
9 hours ago, drewm3i-VR said:

My only beef with the channel map currently is the lack of landmarks like St. Paul's, Salisbury Cathedral, Old Sarum, the cathedral in Calais, etc. Also the cliff textures need updating because they are too generic.

 

The ports could have done with considerable detailing/corrections, as could some of the rail-lines etc. There are a bunch of targets that could do with some improvements.

 

That said, I suspect a lot of it will be upgrading to 4k textures, rather than fixing dockyards etc. IMHO, some of the redone textures also appear lime green on my monitor (I felt the original ones were much more immersive based on my sense of colour perception - but Team Fusion didn't give us an option of keeping them)!

 

Anyway - it'll be marvellous if we get any improvements!

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

343KKT_Kintaro
14 hours ago, drewm3i-VR said:

My only beef with the channel map currently is the lack of landmarks like St. Paul's, Salisbury Cathedral, Old Sarum, the cathedral in Calais, etc. Also the cliff textures need updating because they are too generic.

 

 

In London, Saint Paul's Cathedral is definitely a must! and... AND... the Natural History Museum equally !!! I want it at its very place in London (with Dippy inside! absolutely!). Also, a French city like Amiens is, at present, a disaster (no cathedral, no true French buildings, etc.). Londonian shop signs, typically in English, are still present in the French cities on the Channel map since 2011, and all of this should be fixed as well, with shop signs in proper French, etc.

 

 

 

5 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Hi Kintaro, I haven't seen this before? 

Interesting to see if it will be a complete rebuild using the new map tools created for Tobruk or if it's bug fixes. 

Also whether it will be a larger area?

 

 

Personally I don't think the map will be bigger, this is more of a question for Buzzsaw or Pattle.

 

 

PS to the devs: till last Saturday I've been spending a long week all along the French coast: Caen, Ouistreham, Courseulles-sur-Mer, Colleville-Montgomery, Honfleur, Le Havre, Deauville, Villers-sur-Mer... all of them places I've overflown for years (in an eternal Summer of 1940) before I've been at them for real... 😅

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enceladus
9 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

I think this has already been officially announced. At some point in the past, but I can't remember when.

Right here:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mysticpuma
40 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

Right here:

 

 

Thanks, hmmmm, that post does imply fixes and was 2-years-ago but Buzzsaw has said "re-done" which implies rebuilt? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-332FG-drewm3i-VR
2 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

 

 

In London, Saint Paul's Cathedral is definitely a must! and... AND... the Natural History Museum equally !!! I want it at its very place in London (with Dippy inside! absolutely!). Also, a French city like Amiens is, at present, a disaster (no cathedral, no true French buildings, etc.). Londonian shop signs, typically in English, are still present in the French cities on the Channel map since 2011, and all of this should be fixed as well, with shop signs in proper French, etc.

 

 

 

 

 

Personally I don't think the map will be bigger, this is more of a question for Buzzsaw or Pattle.

 

 

PS to the devs: till last Saturday I've been spending a long week all along the French coast: Caen, Ouistreham, Courseulles-sur-Mer, Colleville-Montgomery, Honfleur, Le Havre, Deauville, Villers-sur-Mer... all of them places I've overflown for years (in an eternal Summer of 1940) before I've been at them for real... 😅

 

 

 

 

This, x1,000. The mesh of the map is great, the textures in 4k will be fine,the rivers and roads (when they work) are fine, the villages and monuments that exist are very good, BUT there is a lot missing which makes the map feel very generic unlike the DCS Channel map. I realize this is a big undertaking, but I personally would be okay if a few different generic castles and cathedrals were used to populate objects in non essential towns (for BoF, BoB, and Channel Battles scenarios) like Amiens, Arras, Salisbury, Caen, Le Havre, etc. (I forget specifically which French towns are included in the CLoD map).

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OBT-Lionel

Let's not ask for too much.

 

This is not MFS 2020 but a battle of england simulator.

 

Sincerely, it doesn't matter to me that churches are out of place or London museums are absent.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mysticpuma
1 hour ago, OBT-Lionel said:

Let's not ask for too much.

 

This is not MFS 2020 but a battle of england simulator.

 

Sincerely, it doesn't matter to me that churches are out of place or London museums are absent.

That's a fair comment, parts can be added as and when the team get round to it. 

The idea that the map could be rebuilt I assume using the tools they used for Tobruk (thus fixing a multitude of issues like potholes in the maps and airfields, tears in the map, splines so vehicles can finally cross bridges, etc, etc) is pretty exciting to consider?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canvas25
20 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

with shop signs in proper French

 

You certainly fly lower than I do. :salute:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

343KKT_Kintaro
9 hours ago, OBT-Lionel said:

Let's not ask for too much.

 

This is not MFS 2020 but a battle of england simulator.

 

Sincerely, it doesn't matter to me that churches are out of place or London museums are absent.

 

 

No no no. Lionel, my friend... this time I must tell you: you're wrong! We do not talk about small churches being absent in some pointless village in the middle of nowhere... Please have a look at important cities in all the maps in "IL-2 Great Battles": cathedrals and relevant landmarks are not only present but correctly modelled. It's not the case in France on the Channel map in "Cliffs of Dover". This map really needs an update. At present, most of the French cities in the Channel map (on the Dover series I mean) are nothing but a bunch of houses that are simply put together. If Buzzsaw said this map is about to be redone, there's one million of good reasons for such statement, trust me. I really look forward to this map being refurbished, and I'll be disappointed if, for example, "Men's Abbey" and "Ladies' Abbey" are absent in Caen when we reach version 6.0.

 

 

5 hours ago, Canvas25 said:

 

You certainly fly lower than I do. :salute:

 

 

Well... there's no need to fly low or high to realise what I said. Simply jump with your parachute and land in the middle of the streets of Calais, you'll see nice English signs like this one:

 

 

210331072424490113.jpg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will be updating the Channel Map, not creating a new one.

 

So fixing the bugs, like roads and bridges, adding 4k textures, adding the better 3d trees and vegetation from Speedtree 8, (we are using 5.2 right now) as well as updating some of the more conspicuous historical buildings with new 3D work.  We will be populating airfields which are not correctly populated.

 

None of the geographical structure will change, the map size will not change.

 

We will also be updating the TOBRUK map with new Speedtree vegetation.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.54_Reddog
20 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

We will be updating the Channel Map, not creating a new one.

 

So fixing the bugs, like roads and bridges, adding 4k textures, adding the better 3d trees and vegetation from Speedtree 8, (we are using 5.2 right now) as well as updating some of the more conspicuous historical buildings with new 3D work.  We will be populating airfields which are not correctly populated.

 

None of the geographical structure will change, the map size will not change.

 

We will also be updating the TOBRUK map with new Speedtree vegetation.

 

I'm a little confused by this as I seem to recall a comment which I cannot immediately place to hand but I'm sure I can find along the lines of "the channel map errors that the community raised via the bug tracked and which have not been addressed cannot be fixed because the map was badly made and we lack the tools, skills and knowledge to do so". Are you saying you now possess the tools skills and knowledge to finally fix what we raised, or was the original statement an excuse? 

 

I look forward to seeing what will eventually see the light of day should TF6 ever arrive.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really liked the England/Channel map from  day one.It will be interesting to see how thy improve it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 12:50 PM, No.54_Reddog said:

 

I'm a little confused by this as I seem to recall a comment which I cannot immediately place to hand but I'm sure I can find along the lines of "the channel map errors that the community raised via the bug tracked and which have not been addressed cannot be fixed because the map was badly made and we lack the tools, skills and knowledge to do so". Are you saying you now possess the tools skills and knowledge to finally fix what we raised, or was the original statement an excuse? 

 

I look forward to seeing what will eventually see the light of day should TF6 ever arrive.

We are discovering new things all the time as we have time to thoroughly examine the source code.

 

Sometimes when working on another issue, we discover the solution to a problem which might be thought to be unrelated.

 

For example, MikMak, our guy who is working on VR discovered the error which had been causing headshake issues... and that has been fixed.  (will be added to a later patch)

 

Discovering errors and bugs is an ongoing process... we continue to learn more about the source code developed by Oleg Maddox.

 

Its an incredibly detailed and mostly well written code, everyone of our coders comments on the elegance of it, but unfortunately, due to the switch in coders after Oleg left, (he took his #1 coder with him) there were misunderstandings on the part of the new team who put together the original release and the result was a heavily bugged release code.

 

The major Channel map errors have been located and those will be fixed for the next release.  (or sooner)

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-332FG-drewm3i-VR
12 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

We are discovering new things all the time as we have time to thoroughly examine the source code.

 

Sometimes when working on another issue, we discover the solution to a problem which might be thought to be unrelated.

 

For example, MikMak, our guy who is working on VR discovered the error which had been causing headshake issues... and that has been fixed.  (will be added to a later patch)

 

Discovering errors and bugs is an ongoing process... we continue to learn more about the source code developed by Oleg Maddox.

 

Its an incredibly detailed and mostly well written code, everyone of our coders comments on the elegance of it, but unfortunately, due to the switch in coders after Oleg left, (he took his #1 coder with him) there were misunderstandings on the part of the new team who put together the original release and the result was a heavily bugged release code.

 

The major Channel map errors have been located and those will be fixed for the next release.  (or sooner)

Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to explain this to us!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
BladeMeister

I am looking forward to the Channel map update. I have always enjoyed the versions we have had over the years and any improvement upon the original will simply be more icing on the cake. I am also interested to see the Speed tree vegetation update on DWT. Keep up the good work TFS on pushing the limits of CLOD/DWT.:popcorm:

 

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These 2 types of aircraft were at the beginning of the conflict and also in Africa ... Hawk 75-A  and MS-406

Hawk 75-A.png

MS-406.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
18 hours ago, BladeMeister said:

Rumor has it that there is going to be an update at some point in the future.

 

S!Blade<><

 

Is that an old rumour or the new rumour? It'd be nice to have at least a rumour of a newer rumour, but I fear your rumour is of an old rumour... and that isn't even getting to a rumour of something more substantive than a rumour of news.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

 

Is that an old rumour or the new rumour? It'd be nice to have at least a rumour of a newer rumour, but I fear your rumour is of an old rumour... and that isn't even getting to a rumour of something more substantive than a rumour of news.

After reading Enceludas's post, I am afraid my rumor is the old rumor. Sorry for the bother.:mda:

On the other hand, it's good to know that plan B will follow plan A and not proceed it though.:cool:

 

S!Blade<><

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BladeMeister said:

After reading Enceludas's post, I am afraid my rumor is the old rumor. Sorry for the bother.:mda:

On the other hand, it's good to know that plan B will follow plan A and not proceed it though.:cool:

 

S!Blade<><

 

I'm asking about rumours when there aren't any. :) If anyone is being a bother, it is me, sir!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm

I looks like Plan B is dependent on Plan A, what happens if Plan A doesn't go to plan - then Plan B may be under threat. Possibly Plan C is required to cater for this scenario? Assume then Plan C will never precede A or B. 

I am all of a bother now...

😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...