CEM - RPM and Throttle correlation

Schwalberich

Schwalberich

Hi all,

I fly exclusively without any assists and currently still learning the complex enginge management. Already watched and read some guides about this topic and I'm able to fly without overcooking my engine 😁

One thing I try to understand is the correlation between RPM and throttle at the cruising setting. So I know the maximum values for both RPM and manifold pressure. 

But if I try to fly at slower speeds than the max cruise setting, to which settings do I switch? Is there something like minimal RPM; MP settings for the engines?

My problem is, often in the Ju-87 I change both settings and get a very shakey plane. I then play around with the lever until it somehow stops shaking 😄

ZachariasX
1 hour ago, Schwalberich said:

But if I try to fly at slower speeds than the max cruise setting, to which settings do I switch?

Generally, you revert to combinations specified in the pilots notes. Efficient settings at partial engine load are not trivial to devise and they are up to the manufacturer to define. Look them up and use these settings. You cannot make better. Once you have that, you can use tiny throttle movements to stay in formation.

It is of note that in this game, engines do not exactly behave as real engines because respective idiosyncrasies are not modelled. For instance the Merlin runs rough at 2000 rpm in the game, but in the real aircraft it would be most happy at +4 boost and give you a (relatively speaking) smooth ride.

In this game you can run the engines at any awful rpm/boost combination, provided that boost x MAP doesnt exceed a certain power level, as well as the rpm always being below certain thresholds that will trigger „TheTimer“ in all cases.

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

In this game you can run the engines at any awful rpm/boost combination, provided that boost x MAP doesnt exceed a certain power level, as well as the rpm always being below certain thresholds that will trigger „TheTimer“ in all cases.

What triggers the infamous timers? MAP only? RPM only? Combination of both? Sorry, I came to Il-2GB from DCS, have been playing without any onscreen messages from the beginning, so I never know, or investigated closely, when the "timebomb" on my engine starts ticking in this sim.

Edited by Art-J

ZachariasX
2 minutes ago, Art-J said:

What triggers the infamous timers? MAP only? RPM only? Combination of both?

What I can see it is hp output (this would be something like multiplying MAP and rpm) and rpm.

You are at WEP rpm, no matter how low your MAP, you‘re on timer.

Conversely, at max rpm and MAP, you can reduce rpm and timer goes off. Reducing rpm reduces MAP in supercharged engines, hence making MAP lower (I think this works too well at low altitudes and might be oversimplified).

• Thanks 1