Toe Brake weirdness, any ideas?

GPatricks

GPatricks

Hoping this forum has more views than the bugs area.. and likely its "something" i'm doing.. Weird issue that just seemed to pop up recently. In Settings the toe brake axis's work flawlessly. I hop into a plane (Typhoon/Spit) that needs strong individual braking to steer/counter torque and end up going in circles or chewing up my prop on (Sorry Shock_Prophet!) my wingman's plane. Toe Brakes have 0 effect. Hop in P51, P38, P40, 109 and they work fine.  My pedals are plugged directly into my motherboard's USB port, tried different ports, all the same. 

EDIT: Did a "quick" test and the P51\P38\P40\and 109 show the toe brakes working\moving\making noise in 3D, the Typhoon and both Spits do not. Hit the brakes in the Spit when winding up the throttle , brakes have no effect at all, no brake noise, spins left with full right brake. If I pop out of the cockpit, even in a plane (P51 for example) that showed them working in 3D (and I can hear them and the plane reacts properly), and go into Settings\Key Mapping the Toe-Brake axis is dead (no movement), yet all other Axis's function normally? Trying to re-assign the axis does not work at this point, does not see it at all... Exit the 3D game, go into Settings, works perfectly... until I go back into 3D? I have removed the Key(KB keys like ,/.) Bindings and made all Axis the primary assignments, same issue. This happens in both my Steam and regular IL2 installs. Works fine in DCS 109 and Spit, also in BMS Falcon no issue..

I guess if someone would just hop in a Spit Vb in Quick mission\Runway start and see if the toebrakes work (in animation and effect) it would be a start! I have a feeling the Spits don't HAVE toe brakes but it's still odd how they cease functioning in the Settings...

Edited by GPatricks

Jade_Monkey

The Spitfire and Typhoon (all British planes?) Have a single axis for brakes as it was located in a handle in the control column in real life.

For these planes you need to apply the brake (different axis to the separate toe brake axes in the control menu) and then apply rudder for differential braking.

• Like 1

Soilworker

Yep, what Jade_Monkey said. The command you're looking for is "Wheel Brakes" I believe. 

It does however control the brakes on every plane that has brakes, not just thise with the single lever.

I really wish the devs would change this, give us a separate control for the single lever as the current setting really is aimed at people with a simple/beginner hardware setup. (IMO) 

• Like 1

Charlo-VR

Jade_Monkey is correct, and it also applies to most (maybe all?) Russian planes. If you keep that wheel brakes lever pulled back and go at about walking pace with lots of rudder you’ll be impressed with how much your ground handling improves on those planes without individual toe brakes

Spitfire XIV will still surprise you on the ground, though

• Like 1

=AW=drewm3i-VR

The ground handling for the spit really needs to be reworked...while it was hazardous in real life, in game it is absurdly easy to ground loop because the rudder has far too much authority at slow speeds and the brake is far too ineffective. In real life, the spit is taxied with only brake inputs. In game, it is best to taxi with about 10% throttle and no brake inputs. The 109 is also far too easy to taxi and does not suffer from weaknesses it had in real life, like collapsing landing gear.

Edited by =AW=drewm3i-VR
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Soilworker said:

I really wish the devs would change this, give us a separate control for the single lever as the current setting really is aimed at people with a simple/beginner hardware setup. (IMO) 

The thing is, not all players has dedicated rudder pedal with (toe) brakes pads, so the command "Wheel brakes" working for all planes benefit the player that just use a basic joystick like T.16000M, or with a simple rudder pedal like T-Rudder (rudder control only).

Those players with T.16000M (or '3in1' sticks) has hard time in games like iL-2 CLOD, or DCS Word, because they are forced to control brakes with two separated keys, weird than IL-2 GB solution.

iL-2 GB sereis allow:

- The guy with T.1600M - assign just a button/key for "Wheel Brakes", brake and twist the grip for individual wheel brakes in any plane of the game.

- The guy with full HOTAS, Crosswind/VPC/Slaw pedals - assign pedal pads for "Right Wheel Brakes"  and "Left Wheel Brakes" and use for planes that has "Toe brakes" e.g.  P51\P38\P40\109\190... AND a button/key or the analog lever of VKB MCG, VirPil T50 for "Wheel Brakes" and use for all other planes (British, Italian, Russian - bar i-16).

Win win for all players. ;)  After all we live in an... "Inclusiveness Era"😜 🎨:lol:

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

GPatricks
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the responses guys, re-booting my brain to get away from my DCS BF-109 thinking and I have the Brit planes taxiing again! I set the "B" key as  the "wheel brakes" (temp solution for testing) and all works as it should. I think the Paddle lever on my joystick will work well for this once I get accustomed to it. My confusion was compounded when I "Esc" into settings\Key Mapping while in the cockpit and the Toe Brake axis is dead. No movement, can't re-assign. All other axis's show movement and work fine, and this is also when you are in a plane WITH toe-brakes..

Edited by GPatricks

Soilworker
13 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

The thing is, not all players has dedicated rudder pedal with (toe) brakes pads, so the command "Wheel brakes" working for all planes benefit the player that just use a basic joystick like T.16000M, or with a simple rudder pedal like T-Rudder (rudder control only).

Those players with T.16000M (or '3in1' sticks) has hard time in games like iL-2 CLOD, or DCS Word, because they are forced to control brakes with two separated keys, weird than IL-2 GB solution.

iL-2 GB sereis allow:

- The guy with T.1600M - assign just a button/key for "Wheel Brakes", brake and twist the grip for individual wheel brakes in any plane of the game.

- The guy with full HOTAS, Crosswind/VPC/Slaw pedals - assign pedal pads for "Right Wheel Brakes"  and "Left Wheel Brakes" and use for planes that has "Toe brakes" e.g.  P51\P38\P40\109\190... AND a button/key or the analog lever of VKB MCG, VirPil T50 for "Wheel Brakes" and use for all other planes (British, Italian, Russian - bar i-16).

Win win for all players. ;)  After all we live in an... "Inclusiveness Era"😜 🎨:lol:

Yeah I didn't explain what I meant well, that's exactly what I want. 😊

You can also double bind the stick lever to also be the 262 front wheel brake and you wouldn't have any conflicts (unlike currently). 

Edited by Soilworker

Noisemaker
10 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Thanks for all the responses guys, re-booting my brain to get away from my DCS BF-109 thinking and I have the Brit planes taxiing again! I set the "B" key as  the "wheel brakes" (temp solution for testing) and all works as it should.

Your ground crew must hate you, what with all those armed bombs dropped on the taxiway.  ;)

• Like 1

GPatricks
16 hours ago, Noisemaker said:

Your ground crew must hate you, what with all those armed bombs dropped on the taxiway.  ;)

Don't worry, I removed that binding earlier as it's a HOTAS assignment..