Skins by Aelius

Aelius

It's been ten years since I first skinned T6+DP, the "Snake" Stuka stationed in Libya in the summer of 1941. At the time, it was totally inappropriate for the "broad, sunlit uplands" in Cliffs of Dover Blitz. With the introduction of Tobruk, however, there now is a fitting theater of operations. But, unlike many on this forum, I am more interested in images of the plane than actually flying it in combat--which is impossible in any event, given that my flightstick is not being recognized.

The skins originally were posted on the 1C Publishing forum (Skins and Repaints for BOB COD), which sadly now is completely moribund. I've revised the template but also imagined what an advertisement for the plane might have looked like in an issue of Der Adler

2028929531_Ju87advertisement.jpg.1370c80d001b434810211cff5b6e4ee0.jpg

Another image as if the plane had been illustrated.

2053943307_T6DPrev_1a.thumb.jpg.82f7c7209daa15087bb7f583b9b81dfe.jpg

And thanks to the developers for continuing to make the game available.

Edited by Aelius
To remove the Hakenkreuz from the tail of the plane.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Blitzen

One of my favorite skins from way back when. I believe i still have at least one version sans swastika in my skins folder.Do you have any plans to re-release perhaps with a swastika? I'd be in line for that!😘

It's gratifying, Blitzen, to think that you still might have a template of the "Snake," which went through several incarnations, as you might remember. I thought the last one was good enough but, if I'm going to post a revision a decade later, I would like to think that I've learned something in the interim. And Mysticpuma, I'll soon upload the template. In the meantime, here is T6+DP on the ground, which has provided a perspective in skinning the plane.

133529939_T6DP_6.thumb.jpg.bbf542c5afc81cd68c6e80992391b0b4.jpg

55113303_T6DP_7.thumb.jpg.ae3f04e241b2fdaa600587530aaffe9d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Varrattu

Hello Blitzen,

although you are acutely aware of the Nazi German symbol's significance , please allow me a few sentences for the sake of the often citated beloved 'historical accuracy' ... ...

Human cultures use symbols to express specific ideologies and social structures and to represent aspects of their culture. As such please don't call the 'Hakenkreuz' a 'swastika'. The two symbols are radically different. While the the 'swastika'  is a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism, the 'Hakenkreuze' on German aircraft 'skins' are symbols of Nazi Germany, exclusively associated with hatred and intolerance.

@Aelius: I kindly ask you to delete the pictures with clearly visible symbols of Nazi Germany.

Thank you for your attention.

:salute: ~V~

Edited by Varrattu
corrections

Posted (edited)

Being new to this Forum and not knowing its official policy regarding display of the Hakenkreuz, I deliberately avoided or minimized its representation in my initial posts. I am aware that it is not displayed on German planes being flown in Tobruk. And I have read Rule 7, which governs behavior on this Forum and states that "all manifestations of Nazism and racist statemenets" are not allowed. It is a sentiment with which I completely agree.

But I don't see how one can present a German plane flying in World War II without its historical markings. Is shooting down a Spitfire or Hurricane, a Wellington or Blenheim any less offensive because the attacking plane doesn't have a Hakenkreuz on its tail? The suggestion that I delete any pictures with "clearly visible symbols of Nazi Germany" means not to show any pictures at all. The Stuka itself is an iconic image of Nazi brutality and Cliffs of Dover Blitz no doubt illicits painful memories for the British.

[I do understand the policy of this Forum, even if "all manifestations of Nazism" seems overly comprehensive in a game that involves Nazis--especially in one that simulates aerial combat but limits the national markings that identify the combatants and, even then, the Hakenkreuz on the fin flash but not the Balkenkreuz on the flanks or wings of the aircraft.] 

Edited by Aelius
To elaborate on my initial remarks.
  • Upvote 1

Blitzen

Wonderful! Will add it to the other one from long ago !!!😁

Ju87R-2HubertPlz6StG2TmimiLibiav-2.jpg

Polz4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
ITA-SUP-Bigans

Thank you for sharing the swastika version too, historical correct, watching my pics.

• 2 weeks later...

And thank you for the kind remark. If you refer back to my first post, you'll see a link to the Italian version of the "Snake" Stuka.

• Upvote 1

ITA-SUP-Bigans

I didn't download these skins, too warm to start PC.

Anyway thank you also for the Regia fictional version!

Ciao

imanuthep

Cool Aelius, you can carry on like that all you want, your skins will be welcome (and yes, with hakenkreuz it is far better : so strange to see a plane of the luftwaffe without it)

• 3 weeks later...

1874728645_splashscreen.thumb.jpg.e7046f5ea64d0f1d9bfa48b56edcbe0b.jpg

This splash screen from Desert Wings: Tobruk shows T6+CP over Libya in 1941--and is interesting for several reasons. The plane itself is ahistorical and did not have this paint scheme, which only was an informed supposition at the time. Too, the gaudy snake likely existed only on the port side.

2060960158_T6DP_1.jpg.ddbe2e66e837c53e6b96a8723204e8d9.jpg

The first photograph of the "Snake" Stuka was published in 1976 and showed just the front of the plane, forward of the cockpit. For the next thirty years, its overall appearance would be the speculation of profilers and modelers. It only was in 2005, in an article by Axel Urbanke in Luftwaffe im Focus, Edition No. 7, that the Verbandskennzeichen could be seen along the side of the plane (Blitzen's photograph above). This four-character code identified the unit (T6, designating Stukageschwader, StG. 2, Immelmann), as well as the yellow letter of the individual plane (C) flying within the unit and its squadron or Staffel (P, signifying 6.Staffel II. Gruppe). In fact, the proper coding was discovered to be T6+DP, all of which is discussed in more detail on my Luftwaffe website

screenshot2.thumb.jpg.114d342550c12bf869b01adec94d2465.jpg

What is remarkable, of course, is the extraordinary snake slithering down the entire length of the plane, which is more reminiscent of Richthofen's Flying Circus. It is illustrated in two books:  Leonard and Jouineau's Junker's Ju-87 from 1936 to 1945 (2003) and John Weal's Junkers Ju 97 Stukageschwader of North Africa and the Mediterranean (1998). Both use the same paint scheme in their profile but portray the snake slightly differently. In skinning the plane myself ten years ago, I followed Leonard and Jouineau and omitted the fangs, not realizing that they actually existed.

But the splash screen is intriguing for another reason (at least, to me). The template used by Team Fusion Simulations is a copy of that snake, which first was presented on IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, Battel of Britain in 2011--as can be seen if one overlays their template with my own, The screenshot above originally was posted there but now is missing, with only the comments it elicited remaining. (The template did not have nearly the detail that now exists, with the result that I did not know then how to camouflage the supercharger air intake, where to place the Balkenkreuz on the dive brakes, or paint the propeller hub at rest.) 

I can't begrudge the developers for appropriating my image, as I had taken it (with modifications) from Leonard and Jouineau, who presumably had adapted their own profile from Weal. But a brief acknowledgement of my own work would have been appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1874728645_splashscreen.thumb.jpg.e7046f5ea64d0f1d9bfa48b56edcbe0b.jpg

This splash screen from Desert Wings: Tobruk shows T6+CP over Libya in 1941--and is interesting for several reasons. The plane itself is ahistorical and did not have this paint scheme, which only was an informed supposition at the time. Too, the gaudy snake likely existed only on the port side.

2060960158_T6DP_1.jpg.ddbe2e66e837c53e6b96a8723204e8d9.jpg

{QUOTE}The first photograph of the "Snake" Stuka was published in 1976 and showed just the front of the plane, forward of the cockpit. For the next thirty years, its overall appearance would be the speculation of profilers and modelers. It only was in 2005, in an article by Axel Urbanke in Luftwaffe im Focus, Edition No. 7, that the Verbandskennzeichen could be seen along the side of the plane (Blitzen's photograph above). This four-character code identified the unit (T6, designating Stukageschwader, StG. 2, Immelmann), as well as the yellow letter of the individual plane (C) flying within the unit and its squadron or Staffel (P, signifying 6.Staffel II. Gruppe). In fact, the proper coding was discovered to be T6+DP, all of which is discussed in more detail on my Luftwaffe website. {QUOTE}

Forgive me but I beg to differ.

This Ju-87 color scheme has fascinated me since I first saw it in 1962. I picked up an old ( published first in 1942,and later in 1945,)copy of World War Two in Pictures Volume One I was very much into plastic modeling ( primarily Airfix 1/72nd,) and Luftwaffe schemes as well. I was somewhat of an amateur artist as well and remember doing a colored pencil profile as well for the only regularily published circular about aircraft markings  and decal producer at the time HisAirDec which some old timers may remember. I don't think I tackled this on Airfix's 1/72 kit as it would have involved precise work that i was capable of.

Proof? You want proof?

See scanned pictures below that including the snake marked "Messershmitt (sic) Dive bomber":

( the crop in the aircraft picture is of some interest.I have a feeling the original was "crabbed " from another source ( perhaps Der Adler or Signal,)and in that magazine it was made to appear in a dive or climb.the original crop & description was probably different than what appeared in the book.BTW  the book had an interesting bent and was very pro Russian reflecting perhaps the mood of the American people at the time but also the American Communist Party.I never found Volume Two so I still don't know how it all came out...😉

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Touché, Blitzen! I knew that the picture was one of several grainy stills taken from an Italian newsreel of September 1941 showing T6+AN in flight.  But I didn’t appreciate that it appeared in print the very next year.

In speaking of the 1976 photograph, I was referring to T6+DP as it was represented by modelers and profilers. Why they didn’t simply follow the example of the Italian plane in portraying the German one, I do not know.

Ah, the penny drops--and your mention of World War II in Pictures. We've had this discussion, my friend, when you posted on the now moribund Cliffs of Dover: Battle of Britain forum a decade ago. Even then, we were hoping for a Mediterranean theater. And it only took twice as long as you predicted!

1 hour ago, Aelius said:

For those looking at the picture, they should appreciate that it is by your own hand. And very impressive it is! 

I wish I could just figure out an involving painting including die Schlange!!!!

istockphoto-466990637-612x612.jpg

• Like 1

irak_1.thumb.jpg.c4a1fd75d849e7eb4cc6190929cbbff8.jpg

On May 11, 1941, German Bf 110s, including a Staffel of twelve from 4.ZG 76 (4 Staffel, Zerstörergeschwader 76 ) then fighting in Crete and two from ZG 26, arrived in Mosul, Iraq to support a coup d'etat that had ousted the country's pro-British prime minister. Commanded by Oberst Werner Junck, the force was known as Sonderkommando Junck (Special Force Junck) or Fliegerführer Irak (Flyer Command Iraq). By May 18, only eight planes remained and, by the 26th, none were serviceable. Later that month, Luftwaffe personnel withdrew.

Part of Gruppe II/ZG 76 (Haifischgruppe), the Zerstörer were characterized by their distinctive shark's mouth. The white machine gun cowling and spinner tips are in the colors of 4.Staffel. Otherwise, German markings were replaced by those of the Iraqi air force.

Given the very basic template, skinning the plane (which properly should be a Bf 110D-3 with underwing fuel tanks) was a bit of a challenge.

irak.jpg.b1db4d66dfaa45a67270ff2b1ecd06f0.jpg

The template can be found here.

Edited by Aelius
  • Thanks 1