Best graphics settings?

=LD=Icer

=LD=Icer

I know there are videos and threads but most are several versions old (2019 and before), is there a good guide for what we are using today on a fairly stout (non-VR) system?

• Like 1

JG27_Steini

Best graphic setting for what? 

- for quality

- for fps

- for visibility

?

=LD=Icer
1 hour ago, JG27_Steini said:

Best graphic setting for what? 

- for quality

- for fps

- for visibility

?

Yes, all of the above.. Right now I am only getting ~30FPS in Campaign and that seems a bit low..

RedKestrel
6 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Yes, all of the above.. Right now I am only getting ~30FPS in Campaign and that seems a bit low..

Your system specs in your signature seem very good but you are using to run what amounts to 4K monitor, which on a GPU side of things has nearly the impact of VR.

Can you take a screen-shot of what game settings you are currently running?

The other thing to try is to run a mission using these settings and run a program like MSI afterburner in the background to see what is being maxed out. The career mode can be processor intensive to run to handle AI and mission logic, so it might be your CPU, but usually CPU bottlenecking doesn't result in FPS losses so much as time dilation in this game, where the FPS stays good but everything slows to a crawl.

You may be maxing out your GPU. If so, a few settings are more likely to help: Clouds, shadows, anti-aliasing, reflections, distant buildings, graphics pre-set, SSAO and HDR all have hits. If you are using MSAA that is a big hit especially on VRAM for your card if you max it out.

• Like 1

=LD=Icer
Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2021 at 8:40 PM, RedKestrel said:

Your system specs in your signature seem very good but you are using to run what amounts to 4K monitor, which on a GPU side of things has nearly the impact of VR.

Can you take a screen-shot of what game settings you are currently running?

The other thing to try is to run a mission using these settings and run a program like MSI afterburner in the background to see what is being maxed out. The career mode can be processor intensive to run to handle AI and mission logic, so it might be your CPU, but usually CPU bottlenecking doesn't result in FPS losses so much as time dilation in this game, where the FPS stays good but everything slows to a crawl.

You may be maxing out your GPU. If so, a few settings are more likely to help: Clouds, shadows, anti-aliasing, reflections, distant buildings, graphics pre-set, SSAO and HDR all have hits. If you are using MSAA that is a big hit especially on VRAM for your card if you max it out.

Thanks for the reply RedKestrel, I appreciate it. A couple things happened since;

First I reset the Graphics settings to Balanced and FR shot up but I hated the "pop-up" of not all that distant terrain\trees\etc. Went back in, set back to Ultra and lowered clouds and some other settings and it looked good again and I was getting 40-70 FPS depending on amount of action, which is fine. No real idea why as i'm sure the settings are very close to what I had originally!

The second solution was to buy a RTX 3090, installed today. Set ALL to max\ultra and Ingress to target (Hell Hawks Campaign, 4-4 ship) was over 100 FPS, heavy dogfight with about 30 planes never got below 66FPS, so all I really needed was to hit it over the head with €€€€.... 😆

Edited by GPatricks
  • Upvote 1

RedKestrel
3 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Thanks for the reply RedKestrel, I appreciate it. A couple things happened since;

First I reset the Graphics settings to Balanced and FR shot up but I hated the "pop-up" of not all that distant terrain\trees\etc. Went back in, set back to Ultra and lowered clouds and some other settings and it looked good again and I was getting 40-70 FPS depending on amount of action, which is fine. No real idea why as i'm sure the settings are very close to what I had originally!

The second solution was to buy a RTX 3090, installed today. Set ALL to max\ultra and Ingress to target (Hell Hawks Campaign, 4-4 ship) was over 100 FPS, heavy dogfight with about 30 planes never got below 66FPS, so all I really needed was to hit it over the head with €€€€.... 😆

Ah, the brute force approach! Glad you lucked out getting the 3090, those are pretty rare!

=LD=Icer
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Ah, the brute force approach! Glad you lucked out getting the 3090, those are pretty rare!

Funny story, I saw that the AMD 6900 XT was available and about €750 less than the available 3090's so I started reading up on it and asking around if there were issues, etc. I was ~close to buying it and I get an email about a 20% off ONE Day sale at a local PC distributor so I went to look at the selections with the thought that there was no way they are putting a 3090 on sale. But they did, which brought it down to within a couple hundred euro of the 6900 so I pulled the trigger and I had it the next day! Expensive week as I had just upgraded my RAM from 32GB PC3200 to 64GB PC3600 a few days earlier... that's it for me for a while! 😄

Edited by GPatricks

• 3 weeks later...
JG7_RudeRaptor

How about best settings for quality? I found all type of post about running smooth play but nothing about quality.

I'm running RTX 2070 Ultra 

i9900k

12gb memory 

res 2560x1440

Nvidia control panel with Nvidia Inspector 

Runs flawless with ultra settings never dropping under 59 fps

But yet distance view looks like antialiasing not doing it's job? Even some non smooth edges.

Edited by JG7_RudeRaptor
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
--[---MAILMAN----

I have a similar question.

I have the below hardware:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370E Gaming motherboard

Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   set at 3.70 GHz (not overclocked)

NVIDIA RTX 2080 TI Founder Edition video card (not overclocked)

ASUS VG27A TUF Gaming monitor: 27"; Native resolution 2560 x 1440; 144 MHz (changing to a lower resolution in the game screws up my desktop when I close the game); using racing or fps presets (neither helps with this problem.

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB)3000 MHz (Forced it to 3000 MHz in the bios because by default it set the ram speed to 2200 MHz)

Samsung V-NAND SSD (x2) 860EVO SATA 6Gb/s   1TB 

I have maximum graphics quality settings set in the NVIDIA Control Panel for IL*2 Great Battles as well as IL*2 Great Battles itself.  I never have frame rates drop below 100 FPS, but it gets close when in an area with many, many objects in view.  The scenery and individual objects are rendered clearly, but .....the scenery always seems to become dull even on maps with cloudless skies and the sun shining brightly directly over head.

I also cannot see any aircraft unless they are flying over snow or open fields.  I can have an enemy aircraft 300 yards in front of me  that disappears if it drops below the tree line or below the tops of buildings in large cities like it is blending into the background.  I also almost never see an enemy airplane behind me even though I am looking directly at where he is until I see the tracers coming at me, but still no plane.

Last night I was playing on Combat Box Red Flight.  On this particular flight I recorded it.  I had feinted hitting one target by crossing into a sector and just before hitting the next sector line I made a shallow diving turn to come back and hit a ground target back in the direction of friendly lines.  After dropping my ordinance I jettisoned my rocket tubes and screamed back to friendly airspace skimming the tree tops and almost mowing the grass across open fields.  I was two or three sectors on my side when the text at the top of the screen keeps stating that an enemy aircraft was in sectors following me.  I could see AAA puffs going up way back at the bomber airfield (target).  I have my canopy slid open so I could see around the razor back, nothing to be seen while still down on the deck.  Next thing I know I have cannon fire hitting me from the direction I am looking, but still see no plane until I am skidding across the field and I see a FW-190 fly over me.

So I review the recording and go to external view.  As the recording plays all of a sudden I see an icon and range appear at 9 km at my high six o'clock.  I switch to enemy view and see it is an FW-190A-6 up at 4 ,000 ft to 5,000 feet and I can see his is pointing his nose at my exact direction like he is homing in on me.   He never rolled or skidded or change direction indicating he was looking for a target.  It was like he knew exactly where I was in my own territory.  Again while in enemy view about a minute later he starts a dive directly at me again like I had a homing beacon on my airplane while still at 7-8Km from me.  I still can't even see my dot against the ground from just outside of he aircraft only the icon and range.  As he closed to about 2km I could make out a dark silhouette of my airplane where I turned left then right because I had this bad feeling that someone was closing me even though I could not see a plane.

1.  My question is how could he see me initially from that distance and elevation even though my aircraft was olive drab green with no invasion stripes or ornamental nose art or recognition stripes and mostly at the minimum height above the tree tops?

My canopy was slid back so there should have been no glass reflection due to the angle of the sun.  Like I said above while watching the recording from his plane point of view he was flying straight and level, not weaving or rolling to look for me so he couldn't possibly see me under his nose, yet here he was heading straight for me.  Next, again with no indication he was searching for a plane he suddenly drops the nose and screams for the deck right at me.  All these actions are what I am used to seeing from AI enemy aircraft.

2.  What graphic settings would have allowed him to see me at such long range and against a background that my default P-47D-22 camouflage should have blended pretty closely to the vegetation I was flying over.

What kind of graphic settings for his card and the game would he have had t be using in order for him to see me at such long range?

What kind of graphics setting (video card/game setting) would he have had to be using to be able to see me from that far away yet I could not see him?

I know there is a discussion (now locked) regarding the ability to see a rendering of the aircraft.  I am asking about a specific  instance that happened last night because if I can't find out how it happened or what I can do to mitigate me not being able to see an enemy aircraft attacking me within guns range even though I am looking in the correct direction of the attack then it may have been my last flight playing online.  I don't have a problem with getting shot down, but when I can't even see a plane to spoil or maneuver out of his gun solution then it isn't worth playing.

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

Edited by --[---MAILMAN----

jollyjack

These spotting distances and how to set them always confuse me.

What i understood so far is that one must set spotting for an enemy plane a some amount in the ME to make it visible.

But i have no experience with online MP settings for a mission, only SP.

PS Biologically Humans (and Apes) are best at seeing variations with shades of green. We all came down from the trees at some point in evolution?

Wonder if skinning your plane to desert yellow for that FW ...

ITAF_Airone1989
57 minutes ago, --[---MAILMAN---- said:

I have a similar question.

Spoiler

I have the below hardware:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370E Gaming motherboard

Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   set at 3.70 GHz (not overclocked)

NVIDIA RTX 2080 TI Founder Edition video card (not overclocked)

ASUS VG27A TUF Gaming monitor: 27"; Native resolution 2560 x 1440; 144 MHz (changing to a lower resolution in the game screws up my desktop when I close the game); using racing or fps presets (neither helps with this problem.

16 GB Corsair RAM

I have maximum graphics quality settings set in the NVIDIA Control Panel for IL*2 Great Battles as well as IL*2 Great Battles itself.  I never have frame rates drop below 100 FPS, but it gets close when in an area with many, many objects in view.  The scenery and individual objects are rendered clearly, but .....the scenery always seems to become dull even on maps with cloudless skies and the sun shining brightly directly over head.

I also cannot see any aircraft unless they are flying over snow or open fields.  I can have an enemy aircraft 300 yards in front of me  that disappears if it drops below the tree line or below the tops of buildings in large cities like it is blending into the background.  I also almost never see an enemy airplane behind me even though I am looking directly at where he is until I see the tracers coming at me, but still no plane.

Last night I was playing on Combat Box Red Flight.  On this particular flight I recorded it.  I had feinted hitting one target by crossing into a sector and just before hitting the next sector line I made a shallow diving turn to come back and hit a ground target back in the direction of friendly lines.  After dropping my ordinance I jettisoned my rocket tubes and screamed back to friendly airspace skimming the tree tops and almost mowing the grass across open fields.  I was two or three sectors on my side when the text at the top of the screen keeps stating that an enemy aircraft was in sectors following me.  I could see AAA puffs going up way back at the bomber airfield (target).  I have my canopy slid open so I could see around the razor back, nothing to be seen while still down on the deck.  Next thing I know I have cannon fire hitting me from the direction I am looking, but still see no plane until I am skidding across the field and I see a FW-190 fly over me.

So I review the recording and go to external view.  As the recording plays all of a sudden I see an icon and range appear at 9 km at my high six o'clock.  I switch to enemy view and see it is an FW-190A-6 up at 4 ,000 ft to 5,000 feet and I can see his is pointing his nose at my exact direction like he is homing in on me.   He never rolled or skidded or change direction indicating he was looking for a target.  It was like he knew exactly where I was in my own territory.  Again while in enemy view about a minute later he starts a dive directly at me again like I had a homing beacon on my airplane while still at 7-8Km from me.  I still can't even see my dot against the ground from just outside of he aircraft only the icon and range.  As he closed to about 2km I could make out a dark silhouette of my airplane where I turned left then right because I had this bad feeling that someone was closing me even though I could not see a plane.

1.  My question is how could he see me initially from that distance and elevation even though my aircraft was olive drab green with no invasion stripes or ornamental nose art or recognition stripes and mostly at the minimum height above the tree tops?

My canopy was slid back so there should have been no glass reflection due to the angle of the sun.  Like I said above while watching the recording from his plane point of view he was flying straight and level, not weaving or rolling to look for me so he couldn't possibly see me under his nose, yet here he was heading straight for me.  Next, again with no indication he was searching for a plane he suddenly drops the nose and screams for the deck right at me.  All these actions are what I am used to seeing from AI enemy aircraft.

2.  What graphic settings would have allowed him to see me at such long range and against a background that my default P-47D-22 camouflage should have blended pretty closely to the vegetation I was flying over.

What kind of graphic settings for his card and the game would he have had t be using in order for him to see me at such long range?

What kind of graphics setting (video card/game setting) would he have had to be using to be able to see me from that far away yet I could not see him?

I know there is a discussion (now locked) regarding the ability to see a rendering of the aircraft.  I am asking about a specific  instance that happened last night because if I can't find out how it happened or what I can do to mitigate me not being able to see an enemy aircraft attacking me within guns range even though I am looking in the correct direction of the attack then it may have been my last flight playing online.  I don't have a problem with getting shot down, but when I can't even see a plane to spoil or maneuver out of his gun solution then it isn't worth playing.

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

My experience with spotting:

According with what I read here in the forum, the main factors that influence your spotting are:

- screen resolution

- antialiasing

Biggest are their value, biggest will be the difficult to see distant planes.

This because the pixels will become too small and will literally disappear.

On the other hand, if you set them too low will be difficult to identify the contact and understand if is friendly or not.

So, as for others games, best graphics settings are not the best for play, you have to downgrade them a little.

When I was using the screen, even if I could play at 4k I used to use 2k resolution with 4x AA. In this way I found the best balance between spotting and ID.

Another things to consider is the gamma: to me changed a lot the ability to spot.

A lower gamma will help to spot against a bright backgrounds (sunny sky, snow terrains, etc..), while an higher one it's helpful for dark situations (forest, dawn, sunset, etc..)

Luckily, you can modify your gamma directly from the game menu during the mission, so you can do even during the mission itself.

Plus: a biggest screen always help.

More:

Some times ago there was a big problem with planes disappearing against ground or forest, no matter what.

But an update fixed the problem and now it's much much better (that doesn't mean it's easy) to track somebody even from far away.

Especially the American's metal skin is really easy to be spotted and tracked in particular light conditions.

You have this bright moving couple of pixel that you cannot lose until you keep your eyes on.

So you don't even to understand what type of plane is it, you are pretty sure it's an allied one.

(Note: if you fly with a personal skin other players will see the default one, that if I remember correctly should be metal for p47)

All this to say that I can believe to you with no wonder: you were not able to see anything while your enemy can track you from distance. It's absolutely possible.

I suggest to you to try spend some time to read some spotting suggestion here in the forum (a lot of people is better than me to explain how things work) and then do some test: even if you are not able to use the Mission Editor you can use the Quick Mission to set the enemy distance and test in different weather, light, background condition.

It requires a lot of time, but it's a game changer.

Last:

I checked on your CB stats and was an human player (no AI fighters in the server).

--[---MAILMAN----

I knew there were no AI planes on that particular mission.  I purposely did not use the player's name who was flying the FW-190A-6.  I was trying to liken the human player's flight path to that of an AI set on the highest skill level because they just fly the flight path directly towards you without ever simulating rolling on its side or inverted, skidding, turning etc. to physically put eyes on you to know where.  The online player did exactly that, flying straight and level like he was on auto level flying directly at me at 4,000 to 5,000 feet.  Not once did he perform the above maneuvers (in my recording) to put eyes on me.  It was as if he knew exactly where I was on the map.  All of a sudden he dove and never drifted right or left.  Because I could not view from inside his cockpit I could not zoom in, but from external view I could barely see a form of my plane against the solid tree line/hedge row from the back of his plane and only after I my plane popped up over this obstacle crow could I clearly see my plane at around 2-3km.

I was using the default USAAF skin for the P-47D-22 which was the standard olive drab green, no invasion stripes, no identification letters or numbers, no identification markers.  The only markings were the standard USAAF insignia star with bars on the upper left wing, lower right wing and both sides of the fuselage.

Once I actually see a plane I can usually identify it by its main wing location and shape, it is just spotting a dot in the first place and then the plane disappearing against the background scenery outside and inside gunnery range.

So thank you for your description of possible setting changes.

It just seems so counterintuitive to build a machine to run maximum performance and graphics settings  (2560 x 1440  2K) and it actually penalizes me for using that hardware to its full potential and having to "dumb" it down to play and have a chance.  Pity.

Edited by --[---MAILMAN----

352nd_Hoss

On 6/16/2021 at 5:16 AM, =LD=Icer said:

Well that may be something to do with puter specs......................  what are those by the way?

Video cards and monitors, VR all this new stuff and I'm using a nvidia 1060 video card and an old 24" 1920 x 1200, 60Hz, Gateway monitor.... it has the greatest picture and is only 1080p and at least 15 years old or more.... I have not bought a higher end VGA because this old monitor only has a DVI connection.  And any adapters I have tried from HDMI/DP just don't seem to want to work.  Troubleshooting is pretty easy, but can be time consuming, and frustrating for some.  Read this guide, keeping in mind what you are trying to accomplish, this game is DX not OpenGL like old IL2, so what worked there is probably not going to work as well here.  DCS is just a huge resource sponge.... you need some high end stuff for it to run all out. Worry about AA and jaggies, and screen tearing..... gsync... There are a lot of different settings you can choose and really not be able to tell the difference between them.  I have a Intel i7-8700k, 32Gb of RAM, running the game off of a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD.  remember my monitor is older than some IL2 gamers... I get 60fps all the time, don't know what the max is because of the monitors refresh... Learn how to roll back your drivers if you are not happy with the newest, and it's a good idea to wipe old drivers before you install the new ones...

So, forgive me for being long winded, but with this set up I can spot aircraft from a good distance and can ID them quickly. 

https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/NVFORCE_1.html

If you are running an AMD card there is one on there for it too, just look for the ATI Catalyst guide

Spoiler

929358302_nvidia1.thumb.png.17e980c8bb3c5306632c22988a493de0.png1833495127_nvidia2.png.5a1b8a5536dc07d8eb3c4f4e9f31a126.png825049167_nvidia3.thumb.png.c11c4e2c26087682eaba3b9d9909b849.png

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

=LD=Icer
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

Well that may be something to do with puter specs......................  what are those by the way?

Video cards and monitors, VR all this new stuff and I'm using a nvidia 1060 video card and an old 24" 1920 x 1200, 60Hz, Gateway monitor.... it has the greatest picture and is only 1080p and at least 15 years old or more.... I have not bought a higher end VGA because this old monitor only has a DVI connection.  And any adapters I have tried from HDMI/DP just don't seem to want to work.  Troubleshooting is pretty easy, but can be time consuming, and frustrating for some.  Read this guide, keeping in mind what you are trying to accomplish, this game is DX not OpenGL like old IL2, so what worked there is probably not going to work as well here.  DCS is just a huge resource sponge.... you need some high end stuff for it to run all out. Worry about AA and jaggies, and screen tearing..... gsync... There are a lot of different settings you can choose and really not be able to tell the difference between them.  I have a Intel i7-8700k, 32Gb of RAM, running the game off of a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD.  remember my monitor is older than some IL2 gamers... I get 60fps all the time, don't know what the max is because of the monitors refresh... Learn how to roll back your drivers if you are not happy with the newest, and it's a good idea to wipe old drivers before you install the new ones...

So, forgive me for being long winded, but with this set up I can spot aircraft from a good distance and can ID them quickly. 

https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/NVFORCE_1.html

If you are running an AMD card there is one on there for it too, just look for the ATI Catalyst guide

Hide contents

My specs are in my signature, and framerates are not an issue anymore. I will look at the plane spotting tweak guides though as  i'm horrible at initial spotting and keeping planes spotted.

Edited by =LD=Icer

ITAF_Airone1989
12 hours ago, --[---MAILMAN---- said:

It just seems so counterintuitive to build a machine to run maximum performance and graphics settings  (2560 x 1440  2K) and it actually penalizes me for using that hardware to its full potential and having to "dumb" it down to play and have a chance.  Pity.

Agree, but it's not only a IL2 problem.

Generally, whatever is the game if you are looking for something/somebody that use camouflage or is very distant from you best graphics settings are making your life extremely hard.

About the rest:

Yes, it's possible to use external programs to cheat.

See: Finnish server and Tack view, or reshade.

Usually as soon as they are discovered they're blocked by server admin or devs, but you'll never know if there is some other way that hasn't been discovered yet.

Prove it it's absolutely hard, even cause I'm not sure that the track will replay the same exactly movement of a distant plane (but I may be wrong).

Most of the time I prefer to ignore this stuff, but if you are sure that something is wrong maybe you should show the track

--[---MAILMAN----

Problem is that if I change the monitor resolution it messes up my desktop when I come back out of GB and  affects the other couple of games (only have three or four) and they are perfectly fine at 2560 x 1440 with no similar issues.

I am not accusing him of anything, because I have no proof.   I know connections from different parts of the world can cause weird anomalies that a player has no control over.  Having said that I just found it odd/strange how he was able to so accurately follow me from that altitude and distance without the benefit of getting enemy sector updates because I was so far behind friendly lines at that pointy (sector east of the bomber airfield target for axis).   I would want several people to look at the recording and give their opinion because it could have just been coincidence or his intuition to track me down.

Anyway thanks for the help.

352nd_Hoss

Just watched this video on Youtube, it's a DCS guy that posted it.  Take it for what it's worth... my settings are close to his, but I don't have a 2080 card, 1060 for me.. and I'm pegged at 60fps.  I posted another video on here about nvidia settings for VR

And this one for VR..

My advice is to change one setting and test it, then move on to the next setting. 

Good luck

Hoss

IL2Battle

Thank you 352nd_Hoss for those videos. I have been playing with nvidia settings for sometime, trying to find some kind of stable settings. Most settings gives me fps from 50 to 165 and waving between them constantly, not looking bad, but it's more calm feeling when you seeing fps stays steady, even when lower.

With about those settings from first video I get fps from about 100 to 144, my screen is 144hz, but mostly just over 100, when playing in kuban careers and drifting between fps are mostly 30 or so and it gives me more relax feeling, that my machine work as good as it can.

So thank you again.

In Game;

1920x1080

shadow-high

mirrors-complex

distant landscape-x4

canopy-normal

horizon-150km

landscape-blurred

terrain-low

grass-ultra

clouds-high

antialiasing-msaa x4

vsyng-on

hdr-on

sharpen-on

4k-on

distant building-on

and pc;

win10

i7-9700

rtx 2060 super

32gt memory

IL in ssd drive

352nd_Hoss

Well the other night.... (Wednesday) I was on CombatBox just getting ready to fly out with three other players, I opened the arming screen and my monitor goes black. After having this ancient monitor for a good 15 years, it died. So trip to Costco and im coming home with a LG UltraGear 32" monitor. With the Nvidia settings I was using the 144hz refresh (only had 60hz on old set) my frame rate went up to 115 steady fps from the 60fps. After tuning the monitor to work well for picture, fps and very smooth game play with TIR the fps never changed. And that old 1060 video card is still in my case. I have pretty much had to learn to get the most out of my system between long periods between upgrades. And don't tell the wife but the new video card is in my wishlist waiting for me to hit BUY!

Cheers

Hoss