Severe Frustration with Il2

NanashiAnjin

NanashiAnjin

Hello everyone,

First of all this topic is not to bash the game in any way, but since this is a hard game (or rather a sim, i wouldnt call it a game) I notice my frustration growing to a point i really start to hate Il2, because i cant seem to improve or understand the game AT ALL. Leaving me in frustration and feeling im wasting my time!

Maybe someone can help me or give me advice, rewrite my brain to make me understand the Sim.

I will speak from my own perspective, as how certain situations happen, that will make me feel frustrated, and make me feel what is even going on! I've played the game for about 350 hours, and yet, besides getting a better feel for controls, and what engine settings I should use to not blow up certain engines, i feel i haven't progressed even a little bit.

Some moves that i see, once again from my perspective, feel so magical, it almost feels like i'm in a red tails movie at times, Many moves that seem very impossible to me, but ofcourse this cant be possible because we are all tied to the same rules.

First of all, what ever plane i use, everything else can outturn me, or just turn into my circle (and staying close to me, so i would assume same ish speed?), even if i fly a spitfire, and the enemy is a Fw190. It just feels everything turns way sharper then i can, I try to turn hard instantly sometimes, or for example with Yak and spitfire, try building up the turn, so to not black out. About blacking out, since its tied to turning, i also feel I black out way faster then the opposition! once again we are tied to same rules, so it cant be possible. So i should ease in the turn slower and slow down a bit, ah but when i try this, the enemy turns hard on the inside of my turn, and whatever i do i cant seem to shake them, their nose stays on the inside leading my turn, even if a turn hard on the edge of blackout.

Another thing i often notice happening, and im totally clueless about is:

Sometimes a plane passes near me, i try to follow him, maybe its a bit of scissor start situation, I look a bit upwards, try to follow the plane, I believe the plane seems to stay at the same spot relative to my plane, same distance too, yet i see the enemy (often a 109) pivot around its own axis, but keeping the same position relative to my plane, where it started from seeing the tail, now the enemy is with his nose pointed at me about 5 seconds later.

I try to duel with others, but i do not gain much knowledge of how to actually dogfight, On many servers i just rely on hit and run, but i would like to know how to actually properly dogfight too, even tough in a normal situation i would still avoid it, and just keep the advantage.

On a side note, I've played many Flight games throughout my life, some with a flight stick, most i had a good grasp on how it would work.

I have the most experience with war thunder, of course, its a game on a totally different level, but it does give me some ideas on how to maneuver a little bit, although i count the planes in Il2 as different planes. And use of different tactics because of the different rules in the game world so to say (some physics etc and how blackouts work for example)

Hope anyone can help me Understand the game more,

And for others that might have experiences like these too, that they might want to share.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to start by saying I'm not experienced with fighting online. I've done it a bit, but I prefer single player.

Two things stand out to me, based on what you've said. First, it sounds like maybe your stick settings are either too sensitive or insensitive; or somehow flawed some other way. This can be cleared up by testing your ability to turn against the AI. That leads me to my second point. Have you practiced much versus the AI?

While some people scoff at the idea, it makes sense if you're totally at a loss for how to improve. You can practice basic moves against the AI until you perfect them against people. You can also record your combats with AI and control the settings and circumstances, which you can't do with people. To ease your frustration, I'd practice with AI until you've reliably demonstrated that you can do whatever you want to do, defensively and offensively.

If you're being out-turned by a 190, whether human piloted or AI piloted, there's something very wrong; possibly on a mechanical level (i.e, your stick). If it's not mechanical, then you need to retrain yourself from the basics on up.

• Upvote 2

=gRiJ=Roman-

I said this so many times before ...This game is missing a good tutorial. A campaign following the ROF (the videos are priceless masterpiece) style but much MUCH deeper covering all the aspects of the game. It could be three, Allied, Soviet and German and during the campaign switching from basic to more advance planes.

Investing on this tutorial is investing not only in new players but also investing on players bogged down some where along the learning curve.

Ways to make it financially possible ... well, I am not an expert but what about selling a package of the tutorial campaign plus a small map (Veluki style) plus a training plane used for that purpose in real life during the WW2? I just love the idea of selling this combo packages consisting of a plane, a campaign and a small map?

Of course, this is my humble opinion.

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

6 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

even if i fly a spitfire, and the enemy is a Fw190. It just feels everything turns way sharper then i can, I try to turn hard instantly sometimes, or for example with Yak and spitfire

In every endless turn fight every La-5/F/FN ( Player ) is the winner against the Fw-190 ( Ai ).  Yaks with their automated flaps are even more better doing with them turn fights against Fw-190s. Spitfire are great turner also. The only point where the Fw-190 shine is very low speed turns and high speed turns or to run away.

Check your Joystick settings for each plane you need different settings sharper settings.

=DMH=Air-Striegler

Good morning pilots!

I could not agree more. IL-2 Box and FC are still missing a lot when it comes to player immersing and player assisting elements. One reason why I keep going back to ROF frequently for my WW1 Air War kick is its great immersive elements. Being able to go all the way from Fokker Eindecker to late War planes in a long career also greatly contribute to its cohesiveness not to mention the (sometimes admittedly corny and flawed ) flying school tutorials but also many small details such as newspaper reports and medal/reward displays, the lovely collection of manufacturers' badges etc are all elements that I am craving to finally see realized in IL-2 FC/Box. In one word: I would like to have all elements from ROF transferred to the IL-2 engine and further improved and expanded on from there.

Call me brazen but I would really hate to see Chris Robertism (feeding of dreams and hopes) establishing itself in Sturmovik World. I'm not asking for a universe here, am I?

=EXPEND=Dendro

Get on discord and come fly with me. You just need pointers. I've got thousands of hours on il2 MP and I regularly run into someone that just hands me a proper bloody nose and a bruised ego.

The best thing you can do is stick to a single plane and get to know it very very well. Learn it's limitations and try and work with its strengths. Learn to know when to get tight and dirty and when to turn tail and run.

Its not just about hard turning in a dogfight.....I remember years ago, Requiem talking about geometry in a dogfight. I couldn't make out what he was talking about but today I think I have a decent understanding but don't ask me to describe 

The blackouts are also a very tricky factor that will take years for me to master. There are very fine limits that require skill and good judgment.

Get on discord and come fly with me. You just need pointers. I've got thousands of hours on il2 MP and I regularly run into someone that just hands me a proper bloody nose and a bruised ego.

The best thing you can do is stick to a single plane and get to know it very very well. Learn it's limitations and try and work with its strengths. Learn to know when to get tight and dirty and when to turn tail and run.

Its not just about hard turning in a dogfight.....I remember years ago, Requiem talking about geometry in a dogfight. I couldn't make out what he was talking about but today I think I have a decent understanding but don't ask me to describe 

The blackouts are also a very tricky factor that will take years for me to master. There are very fine limits that require skill and good judgment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

NanashiAnjin
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply's!

8 hours ago, oc2209 said:

Have you practiced much versus the AI?

When, I play single player, I do not have these issues, Infact when on Berloga server, I can instantly tell when I'm on an Ai tail.

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I'd recommend Requiem's videos

Yes, I've been watching his videos and like them, I think I do understand them, and I try to apply them, but so far no luck.

Funny enough, they do improve my tactics in War Thunder.

2 hours ago, Livai said:

The only point where the Fw-190 shine is very low speed turns and high speed turns

Maybe in these cases this was exactly the problem I was facing, thanks!

About my turning, a problem that I do have is always going too fast, find it hard to slow down and not become an easy target.

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

I found the blackouts very hard to judge, since only way to tell them, is sound and circle in the corner. You cant feel how much you are pulling.

But sometimes I'm in a slight turn, that's only 2G but then my nose faces down, to do an Yoyo turn (not sure correct term) and you pick up a little speed then it becomes a 3g turn, but since I'm looking at the enemy i cant focus on the circle all the time. and then sometimes 3g is already more than enough to get you Ko, if you already pulled hard before.

Often after an intense turn fight, I even lose sight in a 2g turn, that feels a bit extreme to me. I've been flying myself recently, and a 2g turn is really not that intense.

Getting Tired and getting just blurry vision would make more sense to me.

Also, although I do have some problems with my stick (or more use to have on rudder, and still one on the stick on my throttle) The actual stick is tested and fine. I use relative sensitivity since I don't like the curves.

I would like to get an Extended stick at some point.

Edited by NanashiAnjin

=EXPEND=Dendro

I can't comment on the realism of the blackouts. What I do know is that the "GAME" has them and I need to work within the limits of the software.

I think we try to make to many comparisons with reality and it's just not possible at all. It's a game and even though I am flying a tempest and I think I should outturn a k4 in a given situation and I fail.....I don't blame the devs or the fact that it's not realistic enough..... I look at what happened and try to correct my approach within the limits of the software that I'm playing on. 

We all need to take a step back and remind ourselves that this is a game. It's not real life. In order to beat the other guy or object in the game I need to do this, this, and this, and not that, or else I WILL fail. Don't ever try and compare what happens in the game with what you experience when you fly in a real plane. It's not, and it will never be, the same thing. 2G in the game does not factor in things like, age, weight, current state of health, fatigue, emotional stress, wounds or weather the "pilot" got enough sleep the night before etc etc etc......Once you realize this and just enjoy this game for what it is, you will love it. If you keep thinking the game should match your perceptions or expectations of what you think is real....you'll always hate it.

Edited by =EXPEND=Dendro
  • Upvote 2

NanashiAnjin
Posted (edited)

No, I do not blame the game or devs, since I said in my post, we are all bound by the same rules.

Although my point was, included with that you cant feel the G its very hard to master, on top of being able to get Ko on 2G, its just hard to measure at times, and leads to extra frustration.

Nobody is blaming the game here. 

How it is in the Game is the universe we fight in. Rules are the same for everyone, unless you hack the game maybe. Does that even happen in il2?

Other than that I never feel anyone is hacking either, its just me not able to understand the game, nor feel the game, not be able to progress and improve.

Also for example, when I think I might be just pulling to hard, I managed to duel with a guy name Rei, and he was giving me tips, but he was telling me to pull even harder and more aggressive. But then to me, I already feel I got over the AoA. (this was in Yak 1)

23 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

I look at what happened

But what do you do, when you don't understand what even happened like me?

Also I do not hate the game, for what the Game is, but my ability to understand the game, and progress.

Edited by NanashiAnjin

=EXPEND=Dendro

Yip...I hear you but I see you comparing...don't do that.

Try using whatchacallit.....tacview ?? I think?

Also...get on berloga and discord. Fly 1 vs 1....talk to another pilot....try picking up tips....you learn a crapload talking to someone that knows.

ZachariasX
10 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

Hope anyone can help me Understand the game more,

And for others that might have experiences like these too, that they might want to share.

If you do MP, especially on fast food servers, then you can expect a good portion of the players knowing both the game and their ride by heart. Getting shot to pieces regardless of what you do, is actually what you can expect in such an environment. There dooesn‘t have to be anything wrong with you or what you are doing.

Still, some rules apply.

Rule No.1: If your adversary is aware of your presence, ANY aircraft he might have with guns on it that can kill you makes him a potentially lethal encounter.

Note: It is great fun shooting Tempests and Spitfires flying the Duck or the Stuka with gunpods. If he does it right, consider yourself dead regardless of what you might do. If (s)he is being silly and maneuver with you, it is all the more rewarding shooting them to bits.

Rule No.2: You absolutely have to have a feel to ride your plane on the edge. This means you must know the speed of the fastest turn and you must be able to hold it there.

Note: This does not help you winning fights per se, but it is one requirement of knowing your plane and one option of turning the tables in asymetric fights (aircraft of different performances) if the involved aircraft have a significant performance differential in turning speed and efficiency.

Rule No.3: The faster, attacking aircraft holds all the cards, regardless of the nominal performance figures. The faster aircraft can always outturn the slower one as it can expend more speed (energy) for angles in turn. It will always be able to take aim at his mark, but can negate the victim to do so. At high speeds, you are limited by blackout, and this is the same for all aircraft except for the g suits. (And the reason why you can win easily in the Mustang on any aircaft as long as you maintain speed). 

Note: This is most likely why you feel everyone outturning you. They actually do. You are in a bad situation and they have more energy, hence they will win. The fact that the Spitfire „turns better“ only holds water when both aircraft are that slow such that both have no more excessive energy. This means that high up, in the Spit you can remain above your quarry and hence hold a trump card on him not being able to raise his nose toward you (and shoot you dead). That way, he is neutralized for until you earned yourself the definite firing solution. Only on the deck you can keep circling until the other falls in your gunsight.

Now some practical advice. As you know now that the faster aircraft behind the other (victim) can always take the killing shot, it means if you are the victim, your only hope lies in being lucky and the assailant misses his shot on you, then your assailant overshooting you is your primary mean of defense. This is when you cut power and maneuver as coarsly as possible, both making it harder to hit you and bleeding your airspeed faster.

In MP, you see them doing even negative flick rolls, hard pitch up and down, weird maneuvers that are commonly lamented about in the blackout mechanics threads. You overshoot, he often can take a shot at you. He flies like that, he is probably good and will hit you and that was it for you. It‘s silly, but even good old Hartmann said pushing the stick in a forward corner was a way out, even if it made your eyes pop out as well.

Pulling up will kill you, the faster aircraft can pull more angles and will go higher, ragardless of him being a Rata or a unicorn 109. All you can do is force him into high g‘s (he will cut power as soon as he creeps up on you to prevent an overshoot and stay with you in the slow turn that is following). The only thing you can do is initiate a rolling scissor, forcing him to coordinate his aim on a more difficult target and keep bleeding speed until neither you or your assailant are flying propperly anymore. That is when they all drop their flaps. Only in this situation, if you made it alive that far, the turning abilities of the Spit mediate their use. The Spit will turn, the  109 and the 190 will do rolling scissors, the Tempest doing it all.

In this situation, it is most important to stay close to your opponent, to „hug him“ as it is commonly done in a rolling scissor, where you always maintain your lift vector on the opponent, negating him pulling his nose on you. You do that, you can own him.

Back in the days, flying tight slow circles in the Spitfire might have been a viable strategy, but in the game, aiming is easier than in real aircraft and some MP crowd have an obscene amount of practise. You fly circles, you are dead in the longer run if there are several badies. Especially if they are on comms. You are just a victim posing more fun for them to the same result.

Test question: Which rule applies for the statement above?

For anything beyond that in MP, put your ego back in the drawer from where you took it and practise, practise. Videos like Requiems and others will help you, if you know the above. You will then know better when going for angles or when to rate fight them (one circle fight vs. two circle fight etc.), but this is very academic and on a very high level, usually concerning one on one tournaments that have little to do with the all out bar fights that commonly occur on fast food servers.

It may be that indeed you face a coordinated gang taking turns at you. And as in the Polish joke of the mother telling her daughter that if there‘s really nothing she can do about it, she might as well lie back and enjoy it, so should you if you in MP against an organized gaggle of seasoned players. It is really part of the game. The fact that you‘ll be the girl (please, nobody elaborate here) doesn‘t mean that you can‘t learn making them *very careful* about their moves. But by all means, you must learn to take what they come up with. And sometimes, it turns out that not being that big of a problem. As said, it is nice shooting Tempests in the Stuka. ;)

Edited by ZachariasX
  • Upvote 4

J2_Bidu

It is probably easier to learn in Flying Circus. In WW2 everything just happens faster.

Joining a squadron will certainly make it much easier for you. People will give you immediate feedback and advice, it's really invaluable. They will also help you in a pinch, making it possible for you to survive some lesser mistakes, and keep on flying, instead of the frustrating death / respawn cycle.

• Upvote 2

=FEW=fernando11

I just scrolled over most of the thread afther reading OP.

But, I know the feeling... that being said,lets put things in perspective... the OP says it has like 350 hours of "flying time", I consider myself adecuate at best, and have 2000+ hours, most of them on MP. Many of the top players have to have way more. So for all intents and purposes asume every enemy you encouter has 10 times your experience... in that context I belive a veteran in a 109/190 could have outturned a novice in a spitfire IRL, because there ar many factors we dont know (speeds, energy states, keeping track/loosing track, etc).

So, dont feel bad, and look it as it is, you are the new guy, on a game where most are as pasionated as you, but has been doing it for a lot longer.

That being said, MY advice... if you can RECORD your fights, use the ingame recording, and/or tack view.

And when something"imposible" haopens, review it, study it! AND TAKE INTO ACOUNT COMNECTION LAG! There are asome weird things that can happen becasue of it, specialy if you have slow connection/high pin.

Also, and thats what "saved me" and kept me in MP, fly with other humans, you will probably learn more, and faster, and might even pick some good friends along the way! As I said I dont consider myself good, but as part of my team, I feel we can do very well on most situations with most planes.

And you dont need to outturn your enemy, but your wingman's enemy :)

J2_Bidu

Check Drookasi's manual. Although it is primarily for FC I believe you can profit from it: 

sturmkraehe
4 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

Thanks for the reply's!

When, I play single player, I do not have these issues, Infact when on Berloga server, I can instantly tell when I'm on an Ai tail.

Yes, I've been watching his videos and like them, I think I do understand them, and I try to apply them, but so far no luck.

Funny enough, they do improve my tactics in War Thunder.

Maybe in these cases this was exactly the problem I was facing, thanks!

About my turning, a problem that I do have is always going too fast, find it hard to slow down and not become an easy target.

I found the blackouts very hard to judge, since only way to tell them, is sound and circle in the corner. You cant feel how much you are pulling.

But sometimes I'm in a slight turn, that's only 2G but then my nose faces down, to do an Yoyo turn (not sure correct term) and you pick up a little speed then it becomes a 3g turn, but since I'm looking at the enemy i cant focus on the circle all the time. and then sometimes 3g is already more than enough to get you Ko, if you already pulled hard before.

Often after an intense turn fight, I even lose sight in a 2g turn, that feels a bit extreme to me. I've been flying myself recently, and a 2g turn is really not that intense.

Getting Tired and getting just blurry vision would make more sense to me.

Also, although I do have some problems with my stick (or more use to have on rudder, and still one on the stick on my throttle) The actual stick is tested and fine. I use relative sensitivity since I don't like the curves.

I would like to get an Extended stick at some point.

I was raging about the blackout/stamina thing recenty as it really spoiled the fun and it is that point that needs more cues to be given to a pilot I think. It is too little and not realistic. A real pilot in a real plane will have a good idea where he stands with respect to his remaining stamina and you only get a faint information in a small indicator on the right lower corner and in many full real server you don't even have that. When you start getting cues about draining stamina, exhaution and ensuing blackout is already imminent. 

I did also some tests to understand mechanics a bit better wrt to planes and blackout. It seems that high speed blackout is a bit harder to reach in axis planes because they tend to stall before reaching g-load blackout threshold in a high speed turn. You may like to try those planes for starters. You can more easily feel an imminent stall and hence relax the stick a bit thus avoiding blackout. It is of course not a cure for any potential blackout but it may help.

5 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

As example Yak vs E-7 who wins? - The Yak has more horse power and is a great turner. The E-7 has far less horse power but less weight and a great turner also. This video here shows perfect what it means push the plane to the limit. And in MP you can expect this. In MP people, when flying the Fw-190, use the Fw-190 stall behaviour for escape when you are behind their tail just to regain control very quickly to be behind your tail.

-> I don't know how good you are too see when the fight not goes your way. In MP you need this sence. Unaware targets are always easy kills.

You can slow down the enemy for escape or to shoot him down. The problem in MP is you can't do long dogfights you need to finish him quickly when you can't escape and better search for another target what is more unaware. When two or more planes dogfight, it is usually another plane who profits from it.....................

Spoiler

• Like 2

Dagwoodyt

Several issues with MP come to mind: 1. lag, 2. hit box, 3. lack of a lobby function for 1v1 dogfights.

Often available servers unfavorable lag times. I have always felt that there are larger hit boxes in MP setting or that lethality is different from what I see in offline fights against AI. Back in the day with Hyperlobby it was possible to do 1v1 or 2v2 engagements. I might try MP again if that were an option. Joining a squad is time consuming even if I could find one that is active in my time zone.

Edited by Dagwoodyt

8 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

Alright then, so you can keep up with AI in turns.

The next thing to test is how hard you can turn. This is going to sound odd, but bear with me for a moment. Set up a quick flight scenario with just you alone. Set the time of day to a few hours before or after noon (so the sun is nearer to the horizon). Set your altitude at 300m or so. Choose a plane you're comfortable with. Enter a gentle turn at approximately 220 MPH, as high as 250 depending on the plane (bad idea to turn hard in a Spitfire at 250, but it's helpful in a P-47). Hold it even with the horizon. Start recording if you haven't done so.

Once you cross the sun (as you're in the turn), pull as hard as you can without stalling. Don't worry about blacking out, because you want just one good turn, and even pulling ~5.5g won't black you out in one turn.

When it's all done, stop recording and watch it. Pause the recording and watch the time at which you first cross the sun in your turn, and then wait until you cross the sun a second time (or third or fourth, etc).

Using this method, I found I was able to turn a P-47D-22 (150 octane, with 500 liters of fuel and nothing extra) in 16 seconds. A P-47 will stall on the second turn if you attempt to continue pulling as hard as the first turn, however. This is because the 47 bleeds speed quickly. By contrast, in a Hurricane (boosted engine), I was able to turn twice consecutively at 12 seconds each. In a P-51 (same loadout as the P-47 above), I could manage 15 second turns.

By 'crossing the sun', I mean doing it as I do in this clip:

Spoiler

JG1_Vonrd

Well, you've already seen Requiem's tutorials and that's a great resource. Look for the Sierra Hotel pilots in multiplayer and see if they have any tubes posted and check them out. Here is the latest from our own JG1_Barton's who is a master of staying alive (Primary consideration!) and shooting down as a solo wolf. (Still, it's best to fly with others in comms as a team... he would be the first to emphasize that). Take a look at all of his tubes:

-332FG-drewm3i-VR
20 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

No, I do not blame the game or devs, since I said in my post, we are all bound by the same rules.

Although my point was, included with that you cant feel the G its very hard to master, on top of being able to get Ko on 2G, its just hard to measure at times, and leads to extra frustration.

Nobody is blaming the game here. 

How it is in the Game is the universe we fight in. Rules are the same for everyone, unless you hack the game maybe. Does that even happen in il2?

Other than that I never feel anyone is hacking either, its just me not able to understand the game, nor feel the game, not be able to progress and improve.

Also for example, when I think I might be just pulling to hard, I managed to duel with a guy name Rei, and he was giving me tips, but he was telling me to pull even harder and more aggressive. But then to me, I already feel I got over the AoA. (this was in Yak 1)

But what do you do, when you don't understand what even happened like me?

Also I do not hate the game, for what the Game is, but my ability to understand the game, and progress.

Come fly with me, happy to show you the ropes...https://discord.gg/AaMWbvD3

I had a lot of the same issues as you at first...rudder pedals and a quality stick, hotas, vr, and practice fixed it all for me. My biggest advice to you when turning is to throttle down as needed because it really shortens the turn circle.

NanashiAnjin
On 6/13/2021 at 9:41 AM, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

Come fly with me, happy to show you the ropes...https://discord.gg/AaMWbvD3

I had a lot of the same issues as you at first...rudder pedals and a quality stick, hotas, vr, and practice fixed it all for me. My biggest advice to you when turning is to throttle down as needed because it really shortens the turn circle.

What type of stick etc. Did you have before and what do you have now? 

I tried Vr, not fully my thing, maybe one day when gpu power is a bit stronger. And my neck more flexible. 

On 6/13/2021 at 6:27 AM, JG1_Vonrd said:

Here is the latest from our own JG1_Barton's who is a master of staying alive (Primary consideration!) and shooting down as a solo wolf. (Still, it's best to fly with others in comms as a team... he would be the first to emphasize that). Take a look at all of his tubes

Very helpful video! Explains a lot while things are happening, even what he thinks the enemy should have done, very nice. 

sturmkraehe
On 6/13/2021 at 6:27 AM, JG1_Vonrd said:

Well, you've already seen Requiem's tutorials and that's a great resource. Look for the Sierra Hotel pilots in multiplayer and see if they have any tubes posted and check them out. Here is the latest from our own JG1_Barton's who is a master of staying alive (Primary consideration!) and shooting down as a solo wolf. (Still, it's best to fly with others in comms as a team... he would be the first to emphasize that). Take a look at all of his tubes:

These kind of videos are probably more discouraging if it is not explained that those players have a huge amount of experience. You can see this during these very quick roll maneuvres. That is very difficult for beginners to copy. 

-332FG-drewm3i-VR
8 hours ago, NanashiAnjin said:

What type of stick etc. Did you have before and what do you have now? 

I tried Vr, not fully my thing, maybe one day when gpu power is a bit stronger. And my neck more flexible. 

Very helpful video! Explains a lot while things are happening, even what he thinks the enemy should have done, very nice. 

I have the t16000m flight pack from thrustmaster and use a rift s. I run the HMD on my laptop (i7-9750h, 32gb ram, rtx 2070).

Edited by =AW=drewm3i-VR

=EXPEND=Dendro
On 6/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Livai said:

As example Yak vs E-7 who wins? - The Yak has more horse power and is a great turner. The E-7 has far less horse power but less weight and a great turner also. This video here shows perfect what it means push the plane to the limit. And in MP you can expect this. In MP people, when flying the Fw-190, use the Fw-190 stall behaviour for escape when you are behind their tail just to regain control very quickly to be behind your tail.

-> I don't know how good you are too see when the fight not goes your way. In MP you need this sence. Unaware targets are always easy kills.

You can slow down the enemy for escape or to shoot him down. The problem in MP is you can't do long dogfights you need to finish him quickly when you can't escape and better search for another target what is more unaware. When two or more planes dogfight, it is usually another plane who profits from it.....................

Hide contents

Is this your video? Awesome dogfight! Great flying! I love the e7!

=IRFC=NakedSquirrel

A quick thing on G's - The game did a big overhaul on G forces last year.  There's some good reading on the devblog https://il2sturmovik.com/news/582/dev-blog-263/ , but long story short there's a few factors that come into play, including fatigue from continued pulling of Gs, and readiness.  If you're about to go into a combat zone, you can pull a few light G turns to 'warm up' and your pilot will sustain G's a little bit better.  Also, if your pilot is fatigued from a long fight, you need to be careful as you gradually lose G tolerance.

Otherwise... You have a good setup.  Maybe set some curves to make flying on the edge a bit easier?  Dogfighting is mostly just practice.  Helps to fly with a wingman.

I find the most basic mistake lots of pilots make is always trying to flat 'out turn' everything.  Sometimes you have to ease up on the stick and do a bit of a lag turn, or climb a bit for a better position on your opponent.

It takes time to get the feel of how the aircraft handle and be able gauge the energy states of you and your opponent.  JG1_Barton's video is a good example.  Here's a P51 with a good energy/speed advantage from the start, the 109 starts a rolling scissors in defense.  The P51 might have been able to trade some of his speed for altitude, but he made mistake of trying to follow an impossibly tight turn and ends up in a spin (Also, the P51 tends to maneuver a little better with a notch or two of flaps).

Don't be too hard on yourself.  Air combat can be pretty chaotic.  Just keep flying. 

IckyATLAS
On 6/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Livai said:

Hide contents

Very nice video who shows that if both make no errors in terms of height and energy loss knowing perfectly their airplane capability then it woud be a stalemate and everyone leaves either by lack of ammo or fuel. A small energy hence speed loss error and that's it you eat the farm.