Tempest sole opponent

greybeard_52

greybeard_52

I'm playing in parallel two careers for Luftwaffe in Rheinland, one for JG 26 (Fw 190D) and one for JG 27 (Bf 109G/K). Notwithstanding I see in the map various Allied squadrons flying Spitfire and P-47, I meet in flight during missions only and always Tempest.

:scratch_one-s_head:

greybeard_52

Why this topic was moved to Complaints? Mine was intended as an help to fix a programming bug in careers...:scratch_one-s_head:

PatrickAWlson
7 hours ago, greybeard_52 said:

Why this topic was moved to Complaints? Mine was intended as an help to fix a programming bug in careers...:scratch_one-s_head:

That is what complaints is for.  I think this section is used for both bugs and requests for change. 

Yours is kind of a tweener.  It may be perfectly legitimate that you are seeing lots of Tempests based on where you are located and where they are located.  Or maybe there is a real bug that is causing only Tempests to show.

greybeard_52
22 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I think this section is used for both bugs and requests for change.

Hmm, not quite the same IMHO: one thing is complaining about a wanted feature that customer doesn't like - another one is pointing out (at least in user's intention) an odd thing, presumably unwanted by developers.

29 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It may be perfectly legitimate that you are seeing lots of Tempests based on where you are located and where they are located.  Or maybe there is a real bug that is causing only Tempests to show.

I checked on "Headquarters" map the presence of lots of squadrons equipped with other aircraft than Tempest. I think that would be quite odd that all other kind of planes are permanently grounded.

• Upvote 2

LukeFF

It's not a bug - it's been working this way since the career for ROF was first launched. The game takes planes from the closest airfield when generating friendly & enemy formations.

PatrickAWlson
On 6/9/2021 at 3:33 PM, LukeFF said:

It's not a bug - it's been working this way since the career for ROF was first launched. The game takes planes from the closest airfield when generating friendly & enemy formations.

Suggestion for the developers: instead of taking planes from the closest airfield, collect all of the "in range" units and select from them.  That will produce more variety without compromising realism.  Since almost all US units are in range, the algorithm can be made more sophisticated by weighting closer units more heavily.  This way you encounter them more often but still have the opportunity to see other units and plane types.

• Upvote 7

PB0_Roll

sevenless would you reach devs and send them your file, so they could upgrade their campaigns without the need to activate mods ?

I have nothing against playing with mods myself, but this would probably be a way to provide this quality upgrade to more people ?

sevenless
10 minutes ago, PB0_Roll said:

sevenless would you reach devs and send them your file, so they could upgrade their campaigns without the need to activate mods ?

I have nothing against playing with mods myself, but this would probably be a way to provide this quality upgrade to more people ?

They are free to use it anytime they want. They know where to find it.

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Go south,  Im flying 190A8 and I've been fighting Mustangs most of the times lately. 

Since new planes were added to BoBP I have seen an improvement with variety of AI planes encountered. Apart from the elusive P-38, I've fought almost all available planes including the Tiffy. 

But yeah up north you'll mostly encounter Tempest. Almost no Spit, mark IX or XIV. I'd like to see that improved.

3 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

I've fought almost all available planes including the Tiffy. 

That's good to know - almost all Typhoon squadrons are classified as attack units, but there is at least one classified as a fighter squadron (an AI-only unit). 

6 hours ago, PB0_Roll said:

6 hours ago, sevenless said:

They are free to use it anytime they want. They know where to find it.

Not to downplay your mod work, sevenless, but there is more to adding planes and squadrons to career mode than just editing the config files you've included in your mod - there are other airfield database files that AFAIK are not extractable right now that also need to be edited.

Besides that, the mod puts planes and squadrons in locations and dates where they never flew, so it's safe to say this will remain a mod and not official content. It's a nice mod for those that aren't concerned with strict historical availability of planes, ordnance, etc., for sure, though.

Edited by LukeFF

sevenless
18 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Besides that, the mod puts planes and squadrons in locations and dates where they never flew, so it's safe to say this will remain a mod and not official content. 

It never was my intent to have a historically accurate mod. It is a game after all and I put into it whatever I have fun with. So, no intent on my side to get parts of it integrated in the game. I am grateful that the devs leave the opportunity to the community to mod it that way that I can.

• Upvote 1

I./JG52_Woutwocampe
2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That's good to know - almost all Typhoon squadrons are classified as attack units, but there is at least one classified as a fighter squadron (an AI-only unit). 

Strangely enough, most of the time they were on their way back to their airfield, still armed with rockets. Needless to say, its pretty fun to shoot them down during their landing procedures.

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

It never was my intent to have a historically accurate mod. It is a game after all and I put into it whatever I have fun with. So, no intent on my side to get parts of it integrated in the game. I am grateful that the devs leave the opportunity to the community to mod it that way that I can.

Ok, cool! :) Like I said, I'm glad the mod exists for those that are interested in such things. 👍

• Thanks 1