B-17C

cardboard_killer

cardboard_killer

[80 years ago today] "• The first twenty Fortress Mark-I aircraft enter service with Bomber Command. The British have placed high hopes in these B-17C aircraft but they will not perform well. Data shared with the USAAC concludes that range, defensive armament, and bombload are all insufficient. By September the twelve surviving aircraft will be transferred to Coastal Command."

1572025434_ChurchillwatchesFortressIatRAFOakington06June41.jpg.2dfa145660cf4b265a64bdb1d1a56e03.jpg

Churchill watches Fortress I at RAF Oakington 06 June 41

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
cardboard_killer

[80 years ago today] "• The Boeing Fortress I (B-17C) flies its first combat mission; a daylight raid on Wilhelmshaven. The British crews and American observers are disappointed with performance and mechanical breakdowns. After several more missions, the RAF and USAAF will agree that the version is not ready for combat, primarily due to the lack of defensive armament. These lessons will lead to improved versions entering service in 1942-43. All Fortress I and II will be transferred to Coastal Command by the end of the year, where the long range will be extremely useful.

MkI.jpg.1ffa0cf145e5da4629ae9e8b776032ee.jpg

Fortress Mk-I "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Praetorious

That picture of Churchill is killer, never seen it before, i like these history bits you post,they are neat.