Random rpm drops at full real

sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

With full real difficulty and engine management fully manual it sometimes happens to me that for some reasons the engine power seems to fall off (at least suggested by engine sound falling off) and on other occasions I had rpms going down for no apparent reason. It later went up again and techno chat did not indicate any damage.

Am I the only one having done this observation and is there a good explanation that this behavior is as it should be?

sturmkraehe

I have random rpm drop offs, sometimes down to 0% with manually pitch-controlled planes with full engine management. It comes back to set values after a short time but this drop is killing any online dogfight which is my major occupation. 

And no, my engine is not damaged. Otherwise it would not rev up again by its own.

LukeFF
Posted (edited)

This complaint means nothing without track files, difficulty settings, controllers used, aircraft flown, etc.. etc.

Also, please don't double-post topics. One location is plenty enough. :) 

Edited by LukeFF

sturmkraehe

Outch. This will require some recording and checking of tracks as I don't have a means to force this to happen. So I will have to run track any time as I cannot predict this to happen. But of course I understand that request. Let's see.

busdriver
3 hours ago, sturmkraehe said:

I have random rpm drop offs, sometimes down to 0% with manually pitch-controlled planes with full engine management. It comes back to set values after a short time but this drop is killing any online dogfight which is my major occupation. 

And no, my engine is not damaged. Otherwise it would not rev up again by its own.

Have you checked your key mapping settings to make sure you haven't by chance knackered the bindings in the green boxes below? By that meaning having multiple key bindings for RPM control.

1194512465_RPMcontrolsettings.thumb.jpg.e8c42f6a117bffa6fbad2c7e24fb3626.jpg

sturmkraehe

This is definitely not an issue as this occurs only when I manipulate thrust and this is not bound to pitch in any way. I checked that.

I will try to catch some occurances on track but of course this track does not register key input or the absence of such. So anyway you'll have to take my word for it. Sorry for that. But believe me I am not making this up. What motivation should I have for that? 

busdriver
25 minutes ago, sturmkraehe said:

But believe me I am not making this up. What motivation should I have for that? 

I'm trying to help, not implying you are imagining things. Can you post a screenshot of your settings similar to what I posted? 

• Like 1

ZachariasX
10 hours ago, sturmkraehe said:

when I manipulate thrust

There is no function for that. What we have are Throttle and rpm.

Does the rpm lever move when you move the throttle?

I can see you have a Saitek X52. I had that one as well and I think you have just a spiking pot. The ones in the throttle quadrant are absolute turd.

sturmkraehe
13 hours ago, busdriver said:

I'm trying to help, not implying you are imagining things. Can you post a screenshot of your settings similar to what I posted? 

I know and I really appreciate it! And sorry, my reply was not meant to insinuate that you did not trust me. It was just to highlight that even a track would just prove that my rpm drops off in case I manage to catch such event.

2 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

There is no function for that. What we have are Throttle and rpm.

Does the rpm lever move when you move the throttle?

I can see you have a Saitek X52. I had that one as well and I think you have just a spiking pot. The ones in the throttle quadrant are absolute turd.

Yeah, thanks. I am not an English native speaker and I mixed up thrust with throttle. Of course I was manipulating throttle. My X52 is not the latest version and it was always pretty reliable. I never observed any weird behavior but of course I cannot fully reject your hypothesis. I will look into that although I think the probability that it is due to the X52 throttle is low (I would concede an rpm drop by a few percent due to hardware issues. However I have occasional drops from 80% to 0%).

THERION
1 hour ago, sturmkraehe said:

I know and I really appreciate it! And sorry, my reply was not meant to insinuate that you did not trust me. It was just to highlight that even a track would just prove that my rpm drops off in case I manage to catch such event.

Yeah, thanks. I am not an English native speaker and I mixed up thrust with throttle. Of course I was manipulating throttle. My X52 is not the latest version and it was always pretty reliable. I never observed any weird behavior but of course I cannot fully reject your hypothesis. I will look into that although I think the probability that it is due to the X52 throttle is low (I would concede an rpm drop by a few percent due to hardware issues. However I have occasional drops from 80% to 0%).

Well, when I read your first post and assuming you have no issues with your hardware and your key mappings, I would suggest to check your realism settings, which
you will find just before you start your mission/flight. You might still have some aids/assistants activated in these realism settings - this would explain those random
throttle / rpm changes. Please check this as it is a common tripwire in this community.

Cheers

1689089489_InkedRealismPanel_LI.thumb.jpg.559d533fe6abe1f96e27f9c733d6f6a8.jpg

sturmkraehe

I'll check the server settings on the servers where I have encountered the issue. Meanwhile I've modified my key bindings to move rpm manip to the joystick and will continue to test this. 

ZachariasX
1 hour ago, sturmkraehe said:

However I have occasional drops from 80% to 0%).

Actually, these are spikes I have seen from a good old Wackelkontakt, loose connection. I had to open mine twice and resurrect it with WD40.

AEthelraedUnraed
On 5/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, sturmkraehe said:

My X52 is not the latest version and it was always pretty reliable.

Yeah, potmeters degrade with use. The amount by which the throttle drops is neither an argument for or against it being a hardware problem. With the information you've given us, I think degraded potmeters are still your best bet.

You *may* be able to temporarily fix the problem by cleaning them and perhaps greasing them with an electrically conductive lubricant, as ZachariasX pointed out. On the long term, there's no other solution than either buy a new stick or manually replace the potmeters.

sturmkraehe

Thanks, both of you. I will check if moving the rpm control fixed this.