Developer Diary 282 - Discussion

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Dear Great War Pilots!

We are hard at work trying to finalize update 4.602 and the Fokker D.VIII is in final testing and implementation. So, this DD is dedicated to that deadly monoplane the Germans sent to the Western Front late in the war. The 'Flying Switchblade' makes it's debut in Flying Circus next week if testing goes well. Enjoy these beautiful images of it in action!

You can read the full Developer Diary HERE.

Jason

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 6
Sandmarken
Posted (edited)

Next week!😄😄 

Edited by Sandmarken
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
DN308

And by the way, happy Mother’s Day to French people

FlyingShark

Next week already?

That's sooner than expected.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Like 1
Trooper117

Never flown the thing in RoF... have to say it looks good though!

Blitzen

Though no new toys announced for this weekend , thanks for brightening my Friday morning with images of things to come!

• Confused 2
[F.Circus]sith1144

update next week? new plane? I wonder if they'll also sneak the tiffy into that update...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
JG1_Hotlead_J10

This brightened my Friday morning; thank you! 😊

1PL-Lucas-1Esk

Jason, I have a question. Will we be able to apply code numbers/letters on the Fokker D.VIII, just like in the N.28?

itsbillyfrazier

Good stuff! 

Have a great weekend Devs/Jason. 🍺

JLean

Thanks for the DD.  I was still happy about the announcement.  Maybe ...next week just waiting that Tiffie :wacko: 

:salute: JLean

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
31 minutes ago, 1PL-Lucas-1Esk said:

Jason, I have a question. Will we be able to apply code numbers/letters on the Fokker D.VIII, just like in the N.28?

Yes. Just was not ready for these pics.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
1PL-Husar-1Esk
Posted (edited)

If and when Dr1 engine performance will be fixed, I mean based of ROF FMs before December 2014 patch as all other FC planes are ? 

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
DBFlyguy

Is the Tiffy coming next week too or still need some more testing?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
4 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

If and when Dr1 engine performance will be fixed, I mean based of ROF FMs before December 2014 patch as all other FC planes are ? 

What are you talking about? There are no changes to the Dr.1 planned. 

Jason

Avimimus
Just now, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

I think the one area where the flight models could do with an update is modelling more fully the effect of the rear fuselage on stability - I remember when this was added to BoS it was a big improvement for marksmanship and realism... and if the RoF flight model engine could have that added I think it'd do a lot.

Also, having a few more engine variants - particularly for the Sopwith Strutter as giving it a weaker engine (130-135 km/h) would be the fastest/cheapest way to add a two-seater the early war German fighters would stand a chance of catching. I suppose that'd be more of an FCIII or FCIV issue though. However, I thought I'd mention it.

I'd love to pay for an engine-variants pack someday (S.E.5, less powerful versions of the Camel, and D.XII come to mind - it'd be very interesting for both realism and balance).

Pollux
Posted (edited)

Good news 😉

Will we ever have mirrors on CF aircraft ?

In VR it is an almost indispensable option to avoid the risk of a torticollis due to the low FOV of our current headsets 

Edited by Pollux
FlyingShark
Just now, coreyhkh said:

Last week you said you would announce new stuff was this it?

It must be this that you're looking for, posted by Jason wednesday:

Have a nice day.

:salute:

J2_Bidu

You devs are responsible for the immense disappointment I will feel when I finally die.

Thanks for all the work!

1PL-Husar-1Esk
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Jason

I'm surprised that you don't know :)  Dr1 and Spad were first planes realised in FC and they FMs were based on current ROF,  but then you guys admitted it was mistake and all other planes which were build for FC after Dr.1 were based on FMs pre December 2014 patch.  Spad FM was not changed in December patch but Dr.1 was different,  you can see this difference if you  compare engine RPMs in both  games. For example FC Camel FM  is based on previous FMs patch and it greatest enemy Dr1 is based in current RoF FMs which reduced it performance.  Ask anyone it's a fact. 

• Like 1
catchthefoxes

YES!!! are we getting a new FC vol.2 plane every update?  😁 Great job Urga and IL2 team!!!

Lythronax

Beautiful bird! Hopefully a Tiffy will come along with it ;))

Cynic_Al

Here's a nice easy question regarding the DVIII:  Will it still have totally-bulletproof wings like it has in RoF, or will it be now possible to damage them with machine guns?

senseispcc

Great news. Thanks, Waiting for the Ty... plane, Thanks for this hard work.:salute:

Avimimus
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, coreyhkh said:

Last week you said you would announce new stuff was this it?

I think they'll need to do another announcement e-mail - or mention it (with a link to the post) in the next dev update to make sure people see it! 😄 

But they might be waiting until the aircraft are closer to completion (for some reason they aren't letting us pre-order all of them immediately).

Edited by Avimimus
DBFlyguy
31 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I think they'll need to do another announcement e-mail - or mention it (with a link to the post) in the next dev update to make sure people see it! 😄 

But they might be waiting until the aircraft are closer to completion (for some reason they aren't letting us pre-order all of them immediately).

Yeah, Jason mentioned they would start the pre-sale for the Li-2 once Ugra had actually started on it, guessing thats the same case for the FC. II collector planes too

Voidhunger
1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

Here's a nice easy question regarding the DVIII:  Will it still have totally-bulletproof wings like it has in RoF, or will it be now possible to damage them with machine guns?

At first D.VIII had weak wing and it was possible to torn off the wing in dive or in maneavers. It was cool and this somewhat simulated Fokker E.V. 

After complaints they improved durability....

imanuthep

Next update almost here with the DVIII & Typhoon...great news... is a day already settled for the launch ?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
5 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

I'm surprised that you don't know :)  Dr1 and Spad were first planes realised in FC and they FMs were based on current ROF,  but then you guys admitted it was mistake and all other planes which were build for FC after Dr.1 were based on FMs pre December 2014 patch.  Spad FM was not changed in December patch but Dr.1 was different,  you can see this difference if you  compare engine RPMs in both  games. For example FC Camel FM  is based on previous FMs patch and it greatest enemy Dr1 is based in current RoF FMs which reduced it performance.  Ask anyone it's a fact. 

You think I can remember every detail of every department for years on end? Ummm... no and I'm not an engineer anyways. This is Petrovich's department and I trust my engineers. And this has zero to do with the DD so please take it elsewhere.

Jason 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4
Avimimus

I trust Petrovich too... speaking in general terms (to remain on topic) the quality of work and drive for accuracy is astounding... I mean, they coded the fact that the Yak-7b canopy will sometimes bounce and fail to latch properly! It is hard not to trust the intention to capture realism when they spontaneously decided to add details like that.

There are also details like the fact that the RP-3 AP rocket can arc underwater to hit a ship below the water line - something clearly intentionally added... yet never advertised. It makes it hard to complain... at least for those of us who've noticed.

1 hour ago, Voidhunger said:

At first D.VIII had weak wing and it was possible to torn off the wing in dive or in maneavers. It was cool and this somewhat simulated Fokker E.V. 

After complaints they improved durability....

Ah... but that might be technically correct... once they removed the strengthening that had been added to the rear spar it is said that the wing became dynamically stable and lost its tendency to twist off. So it might actually be accurate for once the aircraft were returned to service.

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic