formation flying in single player

flak1962

flak1962

hi guys been looking for some sort of guide to flying formation in single player but not getting far ,

cant seem to keep up with my flight,they always loose me and im going full throttle to try to keep up 

so rather than cruising to a target im flat out , what am i doing wrong like?

any tips appreciated 

thanks

Eisenfaustus

The best cruise speed is achieved by correctly trimming your aircraft for horizontal flight and give the right rudder deflection to stay coordinated - then I rarely have to enter combat power or above to stay with my flight. Max continuous or less is usually sufficient for me in career. 

Na-zdorovie

use the trim at first to make it easier on getting altitude without constantly pushing pulling the stick, follow your wings route to give you a good idea of their path, after take-off throttle back from emergency to combat power only after wheels up, although you cant use all the time its not gonna blow that quick.

you will notice your wing will level off quite soon, thats to get the airspeed up before climbing, if you do the same following your pilot in front, not chasing the leader, you too should stay at least the same distance behind, now that is when i trim to 100% nose and use the stick to keep my level, itl give you less resistance (air) and allow you to catch them up, at least when the slow to whats usually around 70-76% power, constant.

remember you wont catch them like lightening, depending on plane of course, as you prob wont be going much faster than them.

also a lot is getting used to the plane, i was like that at first as im sure a lot are, but once you keep on with the same plane you will learn its quirks that much quicker, apart from a few i prefer the German planes. 109/110/190

6FG_Jakl

AI are just unrealistically faster during climb, you will catch them once they reach cruising altitude so forget catching them before it 

Eisenfaustus
21 hours ago, 6FG_Jakl said:

AI are just unrealistically faster during climb, you will catch them once they reach cruising altitude so forget catching them before it 

Didn't notice that at any point and don't think so - if yes fighting them in the vertical would be impossible...

GB is the only combat flight sim I know in which the AI has to cope with exactly the same flight model as the player - that's why AI is so absurdly hardware hungry after all

KevPBur

I reduce fuel when the mission length allows it and can always keep up. As pointed out the ai do seem to be albe to climb very well. I also find the leader will often slow right up after take-off as if he is slowing for the initial turn onto course. I use that as an opportunity to climb and don't mind if I get a little ahead of him. He soon enough gets past on the climb.

III./SG77-K_Bobo

In Stuka career they since last patch now schedule speed for flight at 330 KPH all the way and it's a bitch to keep up.  Used to be 250 cruising speed and was quite easy.

I am able to gain once we've reached altitude but then it's still a cruise at climb engine settings, 2,400 RPM and 1.2+ ATA.
Crazy.

FTC_DerSheriff
On 5/23/2021 at 1:53 PM, 6FG_Jakl said:

the AI uses the same FM and is not faster. I never had problems staying with the AI. at least not when I payed attention.

• Upvote 1

CDRSEABEE

Use PWCG. They fly slower non combat than the career in the sim.