Sign in to follow this  
sturmkraehe

Trim setup for ground-trimmable control surfaces

Trim setup for ground-trimmable control surfaces  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should the possibility to trim surfaces that could only be trimmed on ground be implemented in the GUI?

• Yes, I want to trim these control surfaces myself from a pre-flight menue
    • No, I don't need such a feature

On many planes a selection of control surfaces could only be pre-trimmed by mechanics on ground and the trim could not be adjusted from the pilot's seat in flight. So the pilot had to fly with the trim setting for these surfaces. However he could have indicated to his mechanics how they should re-trim their aircraft if he did not like the factory default trim setup.

My suggestion is to allow players to do exactly this: Allow pre-trimming of these surfaces prior to take-off. 

My initial idea was to allow pilots to set a trim when standing on the tarmac or the runway. But an easier option and more realistic one would be to have a slider and/or number input field in the GUI (graphical user interface). Imho an appropriate place would be the plane setup menue. For each plane type we would then find one or more sliders depending on how many control surfaces could only be trimmed on ground that we could then set to a certain position/number. Of course this would mean that we would perhaps have to fly several times to find the optimal setting for us. But that is just exactly as the pilots would have had to do it.

Alternatively, instead of adapting the plane setup menue with numbers of sliders for each plane, we could just have one identical trim slider configuration for each plane where we could setup the trim for each surface that could be trimmed (surfaces that could not be trimmed at all - neither on ground nor in the air - would just have to be greyed out for the corresponding plane)

Here is the link to the suggestion that I posted:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/767-thread-gather-your-suggestions/page-6?do=findComment&comment=122603

It's a great idea!

why would anybody not want it?

I think it is a splendid idea. The way you put forward this idea seems resonable.

The Fixed Tabs settings are based on flight tests and adjusted for cruise airspeed conditions by the ground crew.

A normal Pilot does not have the privileges to change anything on this setting. Maybe the technical Officier can do it, for testing purposes, but it make little sense.

• Upvote 1

Will potentially allow for "gaming exploits" using weird settings. An aircraft is rigged to be trimmed for certain parameters of flight according to specs by the crew chief not to the whim of a pilot.

you will have situation where in a sim having an out of trim aircraft will be beneficial for some manoeuvres, but still manageable, but if set up that way in real life would be totally unacceptable to fly for any length of time.

In MP there are already enough variables and ways to "game the game" rather keep it simple and on an even playing field for everyone.

just my POV :)

Cheers Dakpilot  

@Kodiak, 

I think you are argumenting with exclusively the German planes in mind. But there are others that did not have these bending sheets. I think for instance of the rudder trim tab of the Yak.

@Dakpilot

That is a bit exagerated to think one could really cheat with a customized trim tab setting that can only be set before a flight. First of all, this setting will only be optimal for one specific flight point and hence nonoptimal for all the others. In particular during a dynamically evolving dogfight the flight conditions change permanently and the "benefit" of such a specific trim tab setting will only be optimal in a short instance - if at all. In all other instances it will be rather a hinderance. And when I am talking about instances I mean instances that last less than a second.

There are far worse exploits than that. For instance I had yesterday a dogfight with a 109 that I jumped in my Yak. This pilot then just opened the canopy which flew away and he continued caprio style. Very likely to see better. 

The german planes were historically trimmed for hands free flight at maximum continuous power at sea level. None of the German plane we have in game are perfectly trimmed like this. The Bf109F4 is hands free at cruise but requires full nose down trim, the bf109g2 and fw190a3 both require hands on for cruise.  This feature would allow us to fix this and balance our planes so they fly as they historically should.  Flying a perfectly balanced plane is a pleasure. 

I found the instruction manual for the Fw and the page that explains the balancing of the trim tabs and posted it in the bugs forum....

The Russian planes would benefit too. As for the Russian pilot opening his canopy. I am sure I have read of real Russian pilots doing this. Although I doubt they did it in winter. 

Edited by WillyZurmacht

Yeah I would also love to have the 109 trimmed for maximum continuous power at sea level instead, that way you should only have to keep constant pressure on the right rudder pedal instead of having to  switch to left one above above cruise speed.