Tracking problems with HP Reverb G2 /resolved

Jurinko

Jurinko

Hello fellow pilots,

I have got recently HP Reverb G2, paired with new TM Warthog and new PC (5600x, 32GB RAM, 3070, x570, SSD). After initial connection troubles (related to x570 chipset and solved by PCIE USB adapter) this combo runs DCS very smoothly at high settings and the experience is, after 19 years of 2D simming, just awesome.

But I have serious troubles with VR at IL-2. At the same environment (light in the room) where Reverb works in DCS flawlessly, in IL-2 I got

2-4 sec long blue screen blackouts (blueouts)

tracking loses the default view, so I look 90deg to the left

tracking loses lateral movement

etc.

IL-2 runs quite smoothly at my original high 2D settings, just MSAA down to 2x and 80% resolution set in SteamVR for IL2 launcher.exe. Cockpits and everything looks great, but the frequent loss of tracking and blueouts make even simple A2G single mission, let's say, very challenging. Any idea what's going on?

I start WMR software, make short calibration left-right-down and then start the sim, it launches VRsteam by itself.

Thanks, J

Edited by Jurinko

It sure sounds like a tracking issue but does not make sense if it is working fine in another sim.

Are you using Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR?

Jurinko
10 minutes ago, dburne said:

Are you using Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR?

I think not, it was preinstalled on Win10 from the beginning.

Just now, Jurinko said:

I think not, it was preinstalled on Win10 from the beginning.

I would suggest you get it. It is a free download from Steam. I would also opt into the Beta once installed.

Please note when you first turn on your G2, it will automatically launch the regular Windows Mixed Reality. Close that, then launch Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. That will launch both programs and also Steam if you do not already have it running.

I also opt into the beta of Steam VR, so I am the beta versions of both it and WMR for Steam VR.

Now this may have nothing to do with your tracking issue, but I suggest as a good starting point to get on the same page.

• Like 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

This is the USB issue.

"Fortunately" you haven't solved them yet - because that means, now you can solve them :)

Get the latest bios (Agesa 1.2.0.2) for your motherboard. It is brand specific. Install they latest reverb G2 firmware that will release within just days. 

check this thread for more possible solutions.

Also, keep audio below 50%.

QB.Creep

What about resetting your environment in WMR? I would try that - set it up again for a seated experience

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
11 hours ago, dburne said:

Little strange that he is not having the issue in the other sim.

Yes, but that's normal. It depends on how application ramps up the load, and how much power is put into the G2 headphone drivers. First is, IL-2 goes from engine pausing to full power instantly during loading, and the other is a G2 problem in certain low end frequency ranges of the headphones that spike power draw, letting other systems in headset crash the tracking functions (tracking sensors skip too much). HP reps have hence put out fixes and will another soon (they communicate via Reddit in HPReverb). That's the source.

So you're looking at an extreme situation here.. You can tell by the difficulties the engine has in VR during loading (no loading environment, rapid flickering, stuttering head movement, etc). There are other applications showing same behaviour, prominent example lately Star Wars Squadrons - which even was a VR game to begin with.

To IL-2's defence, it was conceived without VR in mind and fixing it would not make sense cost-effectively, so it's a little thing we have to deal with. And IL-2 Devs should not in any situation set a muting pass on any of the sweet low end motor engine and cannon fire frequencies for a just single headset that had last minute changes in its engineering, that also didn't have sufficient testing after that. 

P.S. The G2 had lower power drawing screens and didn't use a power socket in its pre-production models. It also had less oomph in the Index sound drivers. Source: HP was proudly announcing higher fidelity screens and sound range as reason for release stall.

P.P.S. CBA to fix the bad English in this post now, I should be working hahaha fly safe

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

• Jurinko changed the title to Tracking problems with HP Reverb G2 /resolved
Jurinko

Woohoo solved the issue. Entered BIOS and switched all PCIE items from Auto to Gen3. Had just few mins to test fly IL2, rotated my head as I never dared before and did not have single issue. Thanks for all advices. J

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jurinko said:

Woohoo solved the issue. Entered BIOS and switched all PCIE items from Auto to Gen3. Had just few mins to test fly IL2, rotated my head as I never dared before and did not have single issue. Thanks for all advices. J

Wow now that's one I never would have thought of.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

So it was the USB issue after all! 

The X570 boards don't handle the USB voltages well under PCIe4. The BIOS update AGESA 1.2.0.2 I mentioned aims to bring both into accordance.

• 3 months later...

I had similar issue, tracking almost perfect for a few months, then it incrementally started dropping, to the point that the game has become pretty much unplayable. What fixed this for me: WMR Settings -> Environment -> Clear environment data. Then run boundary setup again.

Edited by Suchy

=AW=drewm3i-VR

This is also happening to me on a ASUS Tuf B550M Plus board. I'm also intermittently losing sound in one ear. I am wondering if the cable may be bad?

unlikely_spider
28 minutes ago, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

This is also happening to me on a ASUS Tuf B550M Plus board. I'm also intermittently losing sound in one ear. I am wondering if the cable may be bad?

If it's intermittent sound on one side (as opposed to complete loss of sound) then I'd remove the offending speaker by removing the little screw, cleaning the little pins, then putting it back on. The pins can become misaligned with the contacts which causes static or loss of sound.

Edit - also, yes, the cabling isn't great. I've already had HP replace it once. But that was because of loss of video feed when the cable bends.

Edited by unlikely_spider