Spotting planes in-game compared to replays

Fast_Catz

I was watching a bunch of replays to see how many planes were around me that i didn't spot while playing and i've noticed how easy it is to spot planes in the replays compared to spotting them while playing, basically planes that were right in front of me that i didn't see while playing suddenly became visible in the replay.

So i was wondering if i'm blind and this is only in my head or if planes are actually easier to spot in replays.

Another, unrelated question, does the pilot hit-box move when you move your head?

RedKestrel
3 minutes ago, Fast_Catz said:

I was watching a bunch of replays to see how many planes were around me that i didn't spot while playing and i've noticed how easy it is to spot planes in the replays compared to spotting them while playing, basically planes that were right in front of me that i didn't see while playing suddenly became visible in the replay.

So i was wondering if i'm blind and this is only in my head or if planes are actually easier to spot in replays.

Another, unrelated question, does the pilot hit-box move when you move your head?

The replay uses the same graphics engine so it should be the same. I find I sometimes spot planes I didn't see on recorded videos. I figure it's mostly because when you are actually flying, you're focusing on flying the plane and all the tasks involved, not just sitting back and looking around. 

• Upvote 3
AEthelraedUnraed

As far as I know, replays use the same game engine as the game itself. So I guess that must mean that you're blind then ;)

But yeah - things *do* get easier to spot if you know they're there. There's this bunch of cat images that one of my professors used to show during his computer vision classes. Almost invariably, it's near-impossible to spot the cat (as it is for a computer) but once you've seen it, it's near-impossible to un-see the cat.

rock-cat.jpg

Edited by AEthelraedUnraed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
ShamrockOneFive
18 minutes ago, Fast_Catz said:

The rendering is the same so it's not a matter of the game rendering it differently but rather what you're noticing. When the pressure is off, when your attention is focused on just one task, and when you can stop, pan, turn on and off icons, and generally get a better feel for what's going on, it becomes much easier to see things that you would have missed before.

If you've done any reading on visual cognition, there's a lot that goes on in your brain and a lot that gets filtered out when you're taking in visual information. Your brain tries to distill it down so your conscious mind isn't overwhelmed with input. Take some "computing power" away for other tasks and that system gets a little less capable. Studies have shown that people deep in thought tend to look away from faces for example because faces require significant resources to process.

Back to IL-2... when you're replaying a track it's just so much easier to see what's happening and once you know where something is it's often hard to ignore or not see it. But getting there in the first place is hard.

• Upvote 1
Fast_Catz

You're all right, compared some game replays with some external game captures and it seem that i am indeed blind 😅.

Beebop
59 minutes ago, TrueGrey said:

Here it is!

That settles it!  Spotted camo for all my planes.  I might survive a mission that way. 😁

• Haha 1
ST_Catchov

Lol. Birds have extraordinary vision and knew all along. The cat thought he was being sneaky but no cigar this time mister!

ACG_DerSheriff

As if recent the replay system is now displaying aircraft like with the "alternative spotting" option on. hence why, especially distant aircraft are larger in the replay then when actually playing the game. I noticed that when capturing footage for my videos.