Sign in to follow this  
Uriah

I must be a poor fighter pilot.

I have been flying off line 1 vs 1.  I have been using the La-5 against the 109 f4.   I can do good enough to fly around for a good while without be shot down by the ace.  But man can he climb.  I thought with the La-5 I could half way keep up with the 109 f4.  But not so.  Plus, the max speed I seem to be able to get on a long level flight about 300 meters of the ground is about 510k.  So maybe I am doing something wrong.  So asking for your thoughts.

The early La's are just improved LaGG 3's, not much more. Until you get to the FN's further into the war they were not world beaters. As to maximizing performance others are more versed in that field than I.

LOL!  I am having the same experience!

The only way I can survive long enough to get at least one shot away before being zapped is to keep fast.  Then try and generate an overshoot by the bf109 and go into a scissors fight from there.  At that point you have a fair chance.

Any head-on, pull the trigger and side-slip, otherwise it is back to the restart button!  

All good fun and it makes you think about defence!  But try to keep as much E up your sleeve as you can.

Enjoy it!

Remember to use the boost button. You're not achieving maximum power without it.

With boost and when flying at low altitude, the La-5 can keep up with the 109 quite well. Both in climb and in level speed.

It can't turn very tightly though. But you can avoid being outturned by turning in the opposite direction with high speed (the AI often stays in a turn and doesn't change directions). Then you'll have enough time to shoot him down.

Remember to use the boost button. You're not achieving maximum power without it.

Boost Buotton????

:o:

Boost Buotton????

:o:

Yep, it's called "Shift engines boost: on/off" in the control settings. It engages the forsazh and gives you a significant power boost for a few minutes.

Top speed with boost on the deck is a rather speedy 570km/h+. That will leave a 109 driver wondering wtf just happened. It can only be used in the first supercharger stage however, so basically below 2km.

• Upvote 1

I'm so curious to see what happens with MP once we get the La-5 and Fw 190 in there....

So before i engage the boost and if I am below 2KM do I need to hit the button for "

Switch engines superchargers: 1st gear/2nd gear speed "  or am I good if I am already below 2KM?

And can I only keep this boost on for a short while before the engine overheats?  Or am I fine leaving it on as long as I am below 2km?

You need to be at stage 1. You can engage the boost above 2K if you stay on stage 1, but IIRC it loses its effectiveness rapidly with altitude.

I'm so curious to see what happens with MP once we get the La-5 and Fw 190 in there....

Me too. Not necessarily on this small map, but i'm also curious how the advantage in low altitude performance and armament of the La-5 and 190 will work compared to the Yak-1 and 109 in the long run.

I like the La-5 alot more than the Yak-1 for now, because it feels more rewarding to fly somehow. But i wouldn't say it's currently better than the Yak-1 overall.

So before i engage the boost and if I am below 2KM do I need to hit the button for "

Switch engines superchargers: 1st gear/2nd gear speed "  or am I good if I am already below 2KM?

And can I only keep this boost on for a short while before the engine overheats?  Or am I fine leaving it on as long as I am below 2km?

Check if your supercharger is in gear 1 (= the lever is backward). If it's in gear 1, you can engage the boost. If it's in gear 2 (=lever forward) switch it in gear 1 and then engage boost.

Gear 1 + boost will give you an performance advantage up to 2500 m.

The engine does overheat faster with boost on. However, even if it doesn't overheat, the engine will still get damaged after a while. The duration for the engine damage to occur seems to depend on altitude. Around 1500-2500 meters, i flew for about 20 minutes without any problems. But i also damaged my engine alot sooner (12 minutes or so) at lower altitudes.

Now I am confused.  "Gear 1 + boost will give you an performance advantage up to 2500 m."  yet others wrote "You can engage the boost above 2K" and "It can only be used in the first supercharger stage however, so basically below 2km."

And I thought a supercharger was used to force more air into the air fuel mixture as at higher altitudes the air got thinner.  So I can't see much use for a supercharger at below 2500.  And a 'boost' - I was thinking it dumped more fuel in a fuel/air mixture.

And the 'Action' 'Switch engines superchargers: 1st gear speed/2nd gear speed'  I just don't get it.  If I press the key once for that action am in in 1st gear?  If I press it again am I in 2nd gear.  What happens when I press it again?  When i observe the cockpit animation I notice the lever is forward when I press the key one and back when I press the key again.  So just which direction (forward or back) is 1st gear?

Supercharger is always "on". It starts in 1st gear when you spawn an aircraft (starts in 2nd gear when you spawn an aircraft over 3km alt).

"boost" is only effective if your supercharger is in gear 1 AND under 2500m.

When you reach about 3km alt, make sure boost is off (small pinhead type switch on the left side of control panel) and toggle supercharger to gear 2 (wooden handled lever at lower left full forward).

The early La's are just improved LaGG 3's, not much more. Until you get to the FN's further into the war they were not world beaters. As to maximizing performance others are more versed in that field than I.

With the new update the La-5 is better now and do not forget wat you write now in five or six months when you shall master your plane(s) and be an "expert" marksman. Practice make one perfect.   :ph34r: It is impossible to be a ninja in one day.

Ace must be feeling pretty bad now.  Must be a real blow to his self esteem to be shot down by Uriah. 

I will tell you how I did it.  Keep in mind I am flying the La-5 vs the 109 F4.

I start out with just 25% to lighten the plane so I can get better climb speed.  

I start to come head on with radiator full open and throttle and prop pitch full on.  The boost button is not yet pressed (pulled out) and the Supercharger is on the default stage one (lever back).  At about 1.00 KM out I chicken out and pull to right or left and down to dive under Ace.  So far I have been pulling to the left.  The point is to avoid Ace's dead on shooting.  He seems to like to dive down and and pull back up to my right.  I on the other hand pull in to a right climb and close the radiator and hit the boost.  By the time Ace has pulled back up I have been diving back down a bit and I seem to have more energy then he does.  I can get on his tail and slowly catch up on him in the right turn and get my sights in place and fire away.

I like the La-5 alot more than the Yak-1 for now, because it feels more rewarding to fly somehow. But i wouldn't say it's currently better than the Yak-1 overall.

It's always risky to name one plane "overall better" than another, especially when they have so very different strong points as the Yak and the La does.

However, if the La-5 keeps its supreme low level performance and its ability to load its cannon with all HE shells, it will make mincemeat out of "air quake-ing" 109s, once it's unleashed in MP.

At least the 109s can run from the Yak at lov level.

I find it odd, in MP, that when I firewall it and climb efficiently at Vy to extend from a poor position that I get in-game messages that I am, "cheating/or running from the fight," in my 109 but when a Yak goes into a dive to try and get me to follow over ground fire or induce a dive into compressibility or uses its superior low(er) level turning ability - it is simply tactics. Isn't the purpose of the fight to gain the advantage, kill the enemy, and stay alive? Isn't that what a RL pilot would do? I am dogfighting and lone wolfing it more than I ever have in other titles but I'm not going to give up my advantage or stay in a turn fight with an angles fighter when I can extend and engage on my own terms. I don't complain when I get out maneuvered because I was stupid and stayed in the fight too long or lost my SA.

In Russian, but i hope it can help.

Just for understand: la-5 isn't yak-1. La-5 has better climbrate (even compare with bf-109) but la-5 lose in turnrate. (Forget Il-2 1946) Use vertical superiority of this plane.

Edited by Rigel

I find it odd, in MP, that when I firewall it and climb efficiently at Vy to extend from a poor position that I get in-game messages that I am, "cheating/or running from the fight," in my 109 but when a Yak goes into a dive to try and get me to follow over ground fire or induce a dive into compressibility or uses its superior low(er) level turning ability - it is simply tactics. Isn't the purpose of the fight to gain the advantage, kill the enemy, and stay alive? Isn't that what a RL pilot would do? I am dogfighting and lone wolfing it more than I ever have in other titles but I'm not going to give up my advantage or stay in a turn fight with an angles fighter when I can extend and engage on my own terms. I don't complain when I get out maneuvered because I was stupid and stayed in the fight too long or lost my SA.

Ignorant, immature crying like you're describing is just one of the reasons I mostly stayed out of 'air quake' rooms back in the old IL2 days.

All about CoOps for me.

I remember one guy moaning because I dove on him and shot him down as he was climbing out of his base.

As if any schmuck can dive from 7000 meters at 800 kph, level off on the deck and line up an instantaneous snap shot while the plane is buffeting, and while the other guy is in a turn.

Not an easy shot, but he figured I was "cheating"

Another time some guy in 109 moaned because I shot him out of the air with rockets in my I16 - again, as if that's easy.

I'll wait for CoOps to return, if they don't I'll stay offline.

HerrMurff: If you're accused of cheating or playing cowardly, it means you're doing something right.

Unless ofc you're vulching ;)

• Upvote 1

Not (OK rarely) a vulture. Just a lowly energy fighter. To be fair though, I usually lose my SA while trying to help some poor teammate who decided to get involved in a 3v1 low level turn fight furball............cuz I'm stupid like that :)

Usually don't even get involved in arrival or departure shoot-em-ups unless there is a vendetta to be settled against a particular individual.

Edited by A1FltTrn=HerrMurf