Skin Downloader

J5_Spyboy

US93_Larner

Yeah, this downloader looks great. I'm planning to use this for any future skins I do! 

• Like 1

Gardimus

Should we be having discussions about attempts at naming conventions or anything?

Or if as a community we want to follow any conventions in general?

J5_HotWaffle

It seems like the program will rename the skins for us. I've just downloaded the program and will be experimenting a bunch with it this weekend

Gardimus
14 minutes ago, J5_HotWaffle said:

It seems like the program will rename the skins for us. I've just downloaded the program and will be experimenting a bunch with it this weekend

Correct, and that could lead to duplicate names in our folders. 

US93_Larner

Only issue I've encountered so far is that the program can't put apostrophes in the name - resulting in one of the 3rd PG's current skins having to be uploaded with a different name (Which would cause duplicates for us). Apart from that, seems to be a pretty nice piece of kit so far! 

haluter
On 3/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, Gardimus said:

Correct, and that could lead to duplicate names in our folders. 

You provide the name you want to use for your skin. HSD will not allow you to upload a duplicate skin to the server.

RNAS10_Oliver
1 hour ago, haluter said:

You provide the name you want to use for your skin. HSD will not allow you to upload a duplicate skin to the server.

I believe he was more on about causing duplicates of the same skin but with differing names within our folders. Due to thinking HSD might be renaming them to something that differs to the name that is in circulation already. Not about creating duplicates of the same names skin on HSD.

Been using HSD and as you’ve mentioned the author gets to choose the name for the skin in HSD, so for most skins this is not a problem.

But as Larner mentions some skins that are in circulation from before HSD introduction include characters that are not supported etc in HSD. These do end up having to be given an different name when uploaded into HSD causing duplication of these skins in players folders when they have downloaded them from the forum and then from HSD. That is unless those players wipe their skin folders and start their collections again but with HSD exclusively.

The programs great so far though and has lots of potential. So consider the unsupported characters (and trimming of trailing spaces) is just something have to live with. HSD is worth the risk of these hopefully rare occurrences (and this sort of duplication happened with forum downloads anyway also). I was going to continue to provide forum downloads for my skins alongside HSD, but I’ve found using HSD as a skinner this weekend to be great and I’m now considering providing them exclusively through HSD.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Upvote 1

J5_Cremer

I can never seem to get past the Connecting to server... error.  I've tried loading the game as an administrator.  So bummed, because everyone else seems so excited for it.

RNAS10_Oliver
16 hours ago, RFC_Maqui said:

I can never seem to get past the Connecting to server... error.  I've tried loading the game as an administrator.  So bummed, because everyone else seems so excited for it.

You should join the discord and post up in there if you have not done so already. The HSD team are rather quick off the mark with any requests and issues that they are informed about on there. https://discord.gg/qD94UVs6

Edited by Oliver88
  • Like 1

J2_SteveF

I hope everyone takes up skindownloader as the default to add skins.

It's a brilliant tool and very easy to use

• Like 1

FlyingShark

Me too I'm planning on using it.

Actually, I'm already using it since a few days.

I still check the skins section on the forum because there's still some people who don't upload their skins on HSD.

I hope they'll eventually start using it too.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

On 3/18/2021 at 12:15 PM, J2_SteveF said:

I hope everyone takes up skindownloader as the default to add skins.

It's a brilliant tool and very easy to use

If its stays maintained then this is way to go, only many nice download tools and mission generators have been published  here in the past, are out of order.  

it is indeed a great tool, not only for downloading, but also to avoid the “clownskin” designs and badmade skins can now easily be detected & removed.