Spit's Brakes.

MoToad

I am flying offline campaigns using a TM16000. I have mapped the brakes both to my 'pinky wheel' and left and right to two side by side buttons. These are the Great Battles scripted campaigns. When I check for brakes in the P47 and 51 they work as assigned. With the Spit the wheel is working fine for both but I get nothing for the left and right. I have checked the default keyboard settings for left and right (comma, period)and it's not working there either. This is the Russian Spitfire campaign. Besides finding the Spit very unruly(perhaps it's the dirt runways)having no left and right brake makes it impossible to takeoff and land without auto assist. I am sure I am not alone here. How do I fix this?

For the Spitfire, you need to apply the "Wheel Brakes" control (in this case, your "pinky wheel") and apply left or right rudder to get left or right brakes. The more rudder you apply, the more braking action is applied. This also applies to the Hurricane and to most of the Russian planes.

OK. I got it. Thx a mil. But, jeesh! What a beast on the ground.

Edited by MoToad

RedKestrel
5 hours ago, MoToad said:

OK. I got it. Thx a mil. But, jeesh! What a beast on the ground.

Another thing I've seen recommended, and that I use, is to keep the stick pulled all the way back when taxiing. That way airflow hits the elevator and keeps the tailwheel more firmly on the ground, keeps it from skidding so much.

Other than that, taxi REAL slow, like a brisk walk, and when landing watch the ball and correct early to avoid ground looping at the end of the roll.