BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XX

Hello dear friends!

There is not much time until the completion of the first version of the project. So far we've been able to move without excluding ideas and wishes for inclusion into the product, but sooner or later we expect that we will have to start saying "no" to suggestions from not only you, but ourselves. This is definitely a difficult process to decide what to include, because all ideas without exception seem to be important and interesting to someone.

Since time is short, I think I can begin to tell you about the gameplay. First I want to remind you what goal we set for ourselves. First of all, we know that the audience is very heterogeneous and it has different groups of players often have conflicting wishes. Some players think that only multiplayer is worthy of attention, others would like to see the entire ground war modeled instead of focusing on missions, some folks just wants to know what it was like to dogfight during the Second World War and lastly, some will just get a disc as a gift and not know what he or she wants from the game. Realizing that our audience is so different, we came to a strategy of the gameplay that we call "Single Player Online".

Read more

As a bonus, I want to show you a short video that demonstrates the capabilities of the sound engine. In the video you???

• Upvote 2

Just WOW! Very impressed about the Friedrich's sound :)

Edited by Foobar

Yes, very impressing!

And also your approach to single player mission and campaigns "sounds" good! :biggrin:

Looks like I'll be buying some new speakers to go along with the PC to run this thing... That sound is incredible!

Dear 1CGS,

you do realize that after seeing the 109 video I have to demand that you release the game RIGHT NOW! :biggrin:

Seriously though: thank you for another amazing update.

I'm already curious about the mission and story details next friday...

Dear 1CGS,

you do realize that after seeing the 109 video I have to demand that you release the game RIGHT NOW! :biggrin:

Seriously though: thank you for another amazing update.

I'm already curious about the mission and story details next friday...

Thx, we'll try not to disappoint you next Friday)

• Upvote 1

Dear I/JG27_Rollo,

The game is not ready for release yet. But we have a plan of development. So please wait start of BoS beta :rolleyes:  :joy:

Very interesting concept.  I hope that PvE will allow us to play squad v E rather than individual v E.

Hood

Alright. I'll wait patientiy then.

Though with each update you're making it progressively harder to be patient. ;)

Assume that the 109 was shot in game? Liking the camera work if so, and of course it sounded awesome too  :)

Single player online sounds great, but what happens if my internet goes down for some reason, unable to play at all?

Also:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

*Please don't shut up, it's really really nice to have these updates :D

Edited by Dano
  • Upvote 1

sound is simply amazing!wow very good, crossing fingers u squeeze as much cool features as possible till release.

Single player online sounds great, but what happens if my internet goes down for some reason, unable to play at all?

You'll be able to play without connecting to the internet if the game is activated. But of course playing without connecting you lose many elements of the game that we create with the help of the network architecture. We understand that it's important to play without having connection and we always remember about this.

The sound is very impressed, good work,but... i  could hear in my own cockpit, the external sounds with my noisy engine sound?

IL2 and COD have "sonic radar" bug and i hate it, ruined sneak attaks.

S!

Single Player Online sounds pretty cool.

Will this allow for coop missions to work in a similar fashion?

Also, top job on the sound. Your sound engineer deserves a drink or three. Well done!

That was amazing!!!

I usually don't pay attention to sounds but this blew me away - so realistic (in my totally uninformed opinion). How was the footage shot - from a placeable static camera, like in IL2?

The gameplay sounds very interesting too - certainly very different from previous sims it seems.

I'm a solo player myself, but as posted above, can the campaign be played in a co-op way?

These updates are so interesting, and every one gets better and better as we get closer to the meat of the game.

S!

Those sounds are very impressive and by far better than in other WW2 sims, without modding that is. I hope the in cockpit sounds are also on par with external aka you will only hear the roar of the engine and no radar sound like in all previous IL-2 sims. Good work!

Have a nice weekend all!

i  could hear in my own cockpit, the external sounds with my noisy engine sound?

coming soon... :rolleyes: 

Excellent update!

It it so good to read that you guys have really worked on the gameplay aspect of the game so it won't just be a map and a bunch of planes.

Can't wait to hear more details. I hope that we can translate the various battle phases to our online missions on the Syndicate server.

And the sound!  ...just like an airshow!

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Upvote 1

You'll be able to play without connecting to the internet if the game is activated. But of course playing without connecting you lose many elements of the game that we create with the help of the network architecture. We understand that it's important to play without having connection and we always remember about this.

What won't be available offline? will this semi-obligation to connect indicate a potential subscription based pricing model?

What won't be available offline? will this semi-obligation to connect indicate a potential subscription based pricing model?

As I wrote some modes will be available offline after activation. But for the full game requires a connection.

The gameplay sounds very interesting too - certainly very different from previous sims it seems.

I'm a solo player myself, but as posted above, can the campaign be played in a co-op way?

We can't say now but we want to make this in the future.

I really don't wan't to be party pooper but, in my opinion, especially incoming sound are not that good at all. I mean it doesen't sound like DB601/605 at all, more like Cessna or some other plane.

When 109 is passed by sounds are better, more like v12 should be. Listen the real thing and compare yourself, i know there is better examples in youtube but here's one anyway: (fly-by's after 3min mark)

Don't hate me, i'm just trying to give some constructive criticism :)

Edited by DB605

Hello,the sound is fabulous.
I hope that there will be a editor of missions for ROF.The players like creating their missions. If the editor is as War thunder for me it is ridiculous :lol:   and no interest.

Escuse me for my bad English.

Hello,the sound is fabulous.

I hope that there will be a editor of missions for ROF.The players like creating their missions. If the editor is as War thunder for me it is ridiculous :lol:   and no interest.

Escuse me for my bad English.

We make BoS using RoF engine. There will be a modified editor of missions from RoF.

Absolute fantastic sound work!!! :o:

Though, I get a bit suspicious about the pricing model. Not much infos shared, and this is something which usually decided very early in the process.

Usually this isn't a good sign at all (hope I'm wrong). I can see something comming in the vein of "silver and gold membership", which would piss me off big time... we will see.

Absolute fantastic sound work!!! :o:

Though, I get a bit suspicious about the pricing model. Not much infos shared, and this is something which usually decided very early in the process.

Usually this isn't a good sign at all (hope I'm wrong). I can see something comming in the vein of "silver and gold membership", which would piss me off big time... we will see.

Please wait. We've not decided on final details yet and we'll tell about this later.

As I wrote some modes will be available offline after activation. But for the full game requires a connection.

Hi B6

I understood what you said, I just don't understand what will constitute a 'full game' in single player terms that requires being online, will offline still let us be able to combat against 'bots'? are ground targets part of the online requirement? or is it part of an achievement based model to expand content?

Yes, very impressing!

And also your approach to single player mission and campaigns "sounds" good! :biggrin:

Not so good, not at all but we'll have time to fight about this feature (dynamic code for Multiplayer).

DB sound is amazing even if is still an alpha.

The german DB sound is like a drug.....those compressor, what a dream!

Edited by Veltro

Hi B6

I understood what you said, I just don't understand what will constitute a 'full game' in single player terms that requires being online, will offline still let us be able to combat against 'bots'? are ground targets part of the online requirement? or is it part of an achievement based model to expand content?

Yes, you'll be able to combat against 'bots' and ground targets offline, for example in the Quick Mission Editor. We'll tell all details in the next diaries.

Connection will be needed for the career (Single Player Online), some other mods and multiplayer.

Informative update. I think what impressed me more than the sound was how good the 109 looked at a distance. Still looked like a plane instead of a bunch of pixels.

Informative update. I think what impressed me more than the sound was how good the 109 looked at a distance. Still looked like a plane instead of a bunch of pixels.

Agreed, the LOD is almost as much as impressive as the sound is.

Sinlge Player Online sounds really good. It makes eminent sense to have central servers churn out tailor-made individual missions. I can see a host of advantages in this:

1) The player hardware can be evaulated on-the-fly (directly read or via game graphics settings) so missions can have many or few planes according to what the computer should be able to run.

2) Stats returned from finished missions can be used to tweak future missions. If a particular mission proves too difficult it can be changed. For instance, if players never manage to find the enemy in a particular mission, then a target can be moved to a more prominent landscape feature. If too many players leave a mission before finishing it, it can perhaps be dropped from the list of missions generated. I hope the programming team has set up an architecture to improve missions like this.

3) The central server can keep track of which events the player has encountered in previous missions and change future missions accordingly, so all players get a varied experience and not five similar missions in a row.

... Oh, and yeah, the 109 sounds really good too!

Really good to hear that the sim will have a common sense attitude to dropped internet connections, so players can get some fun out of the sim, even if offline (But of course not all features, since they are dependent on intermittent connection to the net). This should placate worry-warts... :-)  

I really don't wan't to be party pooper but, in my opinion, especially incoming sound are not that good at all. I mean it doesen't sound like DB601/605 at all, more like Cessna or some other plane.

[...]

I think I agree with you to some degree. But first I want to say that the sound from the video already is very good for such an early stage. I also think that the effects of aircraft direction and speed are good (Doppler effect etc.). What could be better is the general sound of the engine. At the moment it sounds like a real airplane...but not like a Bf109 but rather some other airplane with a different engine. It is missing some characteristics that make the Bf109 stand out. And you are right...it is particularly noticable when the aircraft is approaching and close to the observer.

Alexander

Edited by MelbourneFL
  • Upvote 1

Agreed, the LOD is almost as much as impressive as the sound is.

In the first fly-by there was an appreciable "jump" in LOD detail, though, when the plane approached.

See? In BoS, 109's supercharger does the whining, so you don't have to. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Assume that the 109 was shot in game? Liking the camera work if so, and of course it sounded awesome too  :)

Also:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I was wondering that too... and take my money too!!

When 109 is passed by sounds are better, more like v12 should be. Listen the real thing and compare yourself, i know there is better examples in youtube but here's one anyway: (fly-by's after 3min mark)

I don't know about all that.. I think it sounds pretty darned good myself.. It doesn't sound like the clip you posted exactly .. but it certainly sounds like no Cessna I ever heard.. You couldn't poop this party if you tried real hard.. This was a great update and bear in mind.. this is not the final version. Q1 14 is looking brighter by the month..

I'd still like to hear more about the online/offline model... but it sounds good.. I certainly understand the whole activation thing too.

Yes, the lods transition is  really great.

.. but it certainly sounds like no Cessna I ever heard.. You couldn't poop this party if you tried real hard..

Listen carefully BoS video from 0:15 to 0:25, then right after it listen this:

In my opinion it sounds like Cessna indeed :) Supercharger sound is good thought.

Just for discussion's sake, here are a bunch of Cessna's flying by. I didn't choose these scientifically, just a quick Youtube spree.

I think they sound pretty different, what about you guys?

Finding a good clear 109 clip to compare against is difficult  - often there's airshow commentary or wind distorting the sound - but those clips posted by DB605 are better than any I could find.

This is so much fun!