Developer Diary 271 - Discussion

• 1CGS
Just now, Han said:
Dear friends,

There will be a lot of Battle of Normandy news in 2021. Relatively soon we'll be able to show you the first landscape shots, while today we have some of the ground vehicles that are already done. Please note that the quality level for the new trucks, armored cars and other objects for Normandy has increased. Of course, the new objects will benefit from all the previously developed physics and AI improvements.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 3
  • Han pinned this topic

oOo shiny.

Do we already have German radar sets in BoBP? seems to me radar being represented on the map is pretty important for Air Marshal...

*notices a lack of beautiful Spitfire*

Vehicles are super nice looking.

Is this going to murder my computer 😅

Spotlights will be a nice touch!

• Upvote 1

Would enjoy driving the Sd.Kfz.222 if released for TC.

26 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

Great news 

;):Please please do not forget a Kübelwagen ..

4b3280c81a13be4ffc8315e4671cd936.jpg

How about the VW161 as well?

bundesarchiv_bild_101i-721-0372-13a_frankreich_offiziere_in_schwimmkc3bcbel (1).jpg

Edited by fergal69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Very neat. It is nice having radars as targets even if they are non-functional. The removal of the German early warning radar systems as a result of Normandy was quite important for strategic bombing... a dramatic way how ground and tactical aviation impacted the strategic campaign indirectly.

I also just love the vehicles. Hopefully, if  the AAA vehicles are popular enough we'll see the possibility of driveable armoured cars or trucks :) Although I suspect that the high quality of modelling means it would be effortful and any driveable vehicles are more likely to be tanks (e.g. a TC2 with half the number of vehicles is possible?) Who knows? But it is brilliant to see these vehicles as targets for strafing at least.

I'm quite curious what British locomotive we'll get (assuming we get one)... maybe an O2 class? It seems that 0-4-4T locomotives were quite common in the south?

Also whether we'll get any river boats or motor gun boats for the various canals and ports respectively... so many possibilities I doubt they have the resources to do them all... it is nice to think about though!

I'm also surprised the map is coming along so early.

17 minutes ago, Denum said:

*notices a lack of beautiful Spitfire*

We've had pictures of it for months now (if you want to check the old dev updates).

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

We've had pictures of it for months now (if you want to check the old dev updates).

Oh I know. 

I just want MOAR!!!

• Haha 1

That 17 Pounder will certainly give Panzer drivers nightmares...   

That armored car is really cool as well.  Having that, and an American M8 Greyhound, and one of the British armoured cars would be really great for TC. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Having that, and an American M8 Greyhound, and one of the British armoured cars would be really great for TC. 

I know a few British tanks had been leased to the Soviets in time for Kursk. Churchill tanks took part in the Prokhorovka battle, I feel like something like that as a collector vehicle would be a good place to bridge the two theatres

• Upvote 2

Cool. Wonder if there is a way to have the Ambulances treated as invalid targets in missions, like have a warning similar to the "fired on friendly" popup. Mission makers probably could find a way. Will there be German and Russian ambulances added too? 

• Upvote 1

Interesting to see we get both british and american equipment of the same class.

Makes me wonder if we will also see an british truck/artillery/anti-air with Normandy.

Sdkfz 222 is an good choice since it was also used as anti-air vehicle, so it will be an target that can shoot back.

It would be great if all standard german equipment (like trucks/cannons) finally get's repainted to Dunkelgelb (dark yellow) so we can finally get rid of Dunkelgrau livery (Dark Gray) which was not applied anymore since early 1943, german liveries from 1943 onward was often an combination of Dunkelgelb (dark yellow), Rotbraun (red-brown) and Olivegrun (olive green), but I suspect we will not see that since that would also require the Bodenplatte equipment to be repainted.

• Upvote 1

Hm, interesting, guess I have completely forgotten seeing them haha

Agree with frontline fighter, I'd love to see 1943-45 variants of the German ground vehicles in dunkelgelb and or 3tone camo (as camo was to be applied at the factory starting in 1944) as well as grey to backdate some of the new vehicles being added to Normandy, like the 222. 

Edited by migmadmarine

Great to see the objects in game get some love, those vehicles all look excellent.:cool:

There were so many vehicles both soft and armoured around at the time of Normandy that picking just this small selection must have been difficult, looking forward to seeing them all in game.;)

Thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Wow! The Sd.Kfz.222. Love it. Will the vehicles including the armored car be 'player' drivable?

2 hours ago, [[=UFO=]]RedPanda said:

Very Nice! The detail on the vehicles look lovely but I wonder if any impact on performance. 

Naw... not at all. 😁

Edited by Thad
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, [[=UFO=]]RedPanda said:

Very Nice! The detail on the vehicles look lovely but I wonder if any impact on performance. 

Likely not. I've been in multiplayer with several (7-8) Tank Crew tanks in full view and it didn't seem to do anything to performance levels.

You'll only see these beautiful details close up anyways. From a little further back or 1,000 feet up you'll be looking at a lower detail object. Keeps things running smoothly.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

Presumably the Axis will get Freya and Wurzburg.

Yes, my guess is the Germans will receive, at the least, Freya radar, since it was used all over the place in large numbers as an early-warning radar. Wurzburg, maybe not, since it was a gun-laying radar system.

Delighted to see the quality of ground assets in the works here. These ground units are really raising the bar, and for tankers and mission makers they are going to add some very welcome colour and detail.

55 minutes ago, Thad said:

Wow! The Sd.Kfz.222. Love it. Will the vehicles including the armored car be 'player' drivable?

That would be sublime. That little scout has fun written all over it.

I'll probably get roasted here...but I am not really getting why vehicles get this amount of detail as it is an air combat simulation first and foremost...I would've put focus on other urgent matters of the game.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 6
6 minutes ago, NIK14 said:

I'll probably get roasted here...but I am not really getting why vehicles get this amount of detail as it is an air combat simulation first and foremost...I would've put focus on other urgent matters of the game.

Just my two cents.

Because of immersion. Think that the whole sim might look like that some time in the future would be a dream. I see a lot of nice videos featuring these vehicles.

Additionally I do remember ambulance request support as a possible feature for TC 🤔

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Han unpinned this topic