Developer Diary 270 - Discussion

Han

• 1CGS
5 hours ago, Han said:
Dear friends,

Today we have mostly images for you. Soon we'll be able to share news on the Battle of Normandy progress in various areas, but today we can show you the first in-game screenshots of Fw 190 A-6. This aircraft will include the assault modifications G3, G3/R5 and Sturmjager and is planned to be released in the coming update along with the new graphical effects and aircraft AI improvements.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 14

• Han pinned this topic

I'm assume the P-51 pics are of game generated unit codes? I hope so!

• Upvote 13

6FG_Big_Al

OMG!!! I feel like a little fan girl right now 😄 Thank you so much for adding the side armoured glass aka "Scheuklappen" for the A6 (I was hoping so badly to see it on her <3)

• Like 1

LF_Gallahad

Fantastic news on the A6 and those modifications!

About the rest, NICE! Changing numerals and such? This will be a great welcomed addition! I miss that from the old Il-2 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

[DBS]Browning

And here are the screens on what we're working on at the moment, the feature that all the previously released BoX projects will benefit from:

Wow! Is that procedural lettering on the side of that P-51?

I know this has been a long term goal of the team for a very long time. I'm really happy you've been able to achieve it now. Congratulations! A very welcome feature.

It looks absolutely seamless to.

Edited by [DBS]Browning

BlitzPig_EL

Tactical numbering decals!!!!   Well done!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Feathered_IV

I like the 1C+GS code.  I see what you did there 😉

51_3.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 5

FlyingShark

A short but very interesting dd.

I'm very happy to see there's different ground attack mods coming for the A6.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

CountZero

Nice t see sqad numbers added, finaly i can get rid of few gigabytes of unneccesary skins :)

• Upvote 7

JG27_Steini
15 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

I know this has been a long term goal of the team for a very long time. I'm really happy you've been able to achieve it now. Congratulations! A very welcome feature.

How do you know it is not only a skin?

• Upvote 1

sevenless

Great news!

190_1.jpg.407a6d8f5b0b4ab476aea880cd918282.jpg

And these new generated plane numbers are even better news!

51_2.jpg.680a1e1d30dc5c5788d55e42e9df9145.jpg

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1

JG27_Steini
18 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

• Confused 3

[DBS]Browning
3 minutes ago, JG27_Steini said:

I don't, but a skin wouldn't really be a "feature that all the previously released BoX projects will benefit from" and it would be strange to make a "1C GS" skin.

Edited by [DBS]Browning

JG27_Steini

I hope they fix the AI bug. Currently AI wont hit other enemy fighter in combat. Flying career is very frusttrating right now.

3 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

I don't, but a skin wouldn't really be a "feature that all the previously released BoX projects will benefit from" and it would be strange to make a "1C GS" skin.

True, but it could be anything else ;)

Anyway i hope you are right. I missed this feature from the very beginning.

Edited by JG27_Steini
  • Like 1

CountZero
21 minutes ago, JG27_Steini said:

I hope they fix the AI bug. Currently AI wont hit other enemy fighter in combat. Flying career is very frusttrating right now.

True, but it could be anything else ;)

Anyway i hope you are right. I missed this feature from the very beginning.

Its airplane with same skin but differant squdron markings, its preaty obvious that its not just 3 new skins but new option to select squadron markings on official skins, or even maybe ability to use costum ones in adition to historic.

Vastarien

Great to see squadron markings added. Just a question: are improved propellers rendering being considered among the new graphical effects?

ShamrockOneFive

Oooooh! I know I hoped for Spitfire XIV stuff in the DD thread but I'll take this instead. Unit decals!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

[-=BP=-]Slegawsky_VR

Looks odd without serial numbers on vertical stab, gonna pass on this one.

Why no cockpit pictures, why we are stuck with one stock being forced after every update???

• Confused 8

I'm curious how the lettering/numbering will work. Can I choose the placement and the coloring? The US fliers in WW1 tended to put large numbers on the wings of their SPADs, and there was also a specific serial number for each plane. Can I do a number on the wing and a serial number on the tail? Is this limited to letters and numbers, or does it allow images like nose art? Either way, I'm excited.

I thought I'd be disappointed to know for sure that we won't be getting the Mk-103... 

...but the quality you guys put into these birds, I can't help but to be very excited for (yet another) Fw-190. I'm sure it'll be different.

• Like 1

CaptainFlemme

It's ... just ... AWESOME ! 

Even if it's clearly a work in progress, it already looks very good. The black lettering seems out of a normal skin, not a decal like on the old il2.

Good Job and Big Thanks :) !

Noisemaker

Can we get any more details about the planned AI improvements?

• Upvote 3

easterling77

FW 190 A6?

Generated codes?

AI improvements?

AWESOME Indeed

Thank you very much for all this great stuff

• Like 2

I'm more stoked about AI changes than anything else. I hope the regimental attacks on the player will cease.

Sim is marching along fine. Huge "thank you" to the devs!

• Upvote 1

am i tripping or do some of those screenshots seem to show clouds wot are better?

CSW_Tommy544

Can't wait for the customizable squadron/aircraft designations, awesome news! :)

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
35 minutes ago, CaptainFlemme said:

It's ... just ... AWESOME ! 

Even if it's clearly a work in progress, it already looks very good. The black lettering seems out of a normal skin, not a decal like on the old il2.

Good Job and Big Thanks :) !

The codes work with the bump texture. The engine was never designed to support this, but the team, namely Sergey, Mike and Daniel found a way. This is something that has to be designed to be included from the start as it affects all the models etc. Any next-gen product we make, will have this in the design from the start so it would be even more flexible than what we've come up with.

It won't be ready for a while as we need to modify all planes and tanks to work with them, so please be patient. Maybe not until the end of the year. This was just a tease since we are pleased with the outcome. And once again, this solution was an offshoot due to working on tanks. :biggrin:

Jason

11 minutes ago, Diggun said:

am i tripping or do some of those screenshots seem to show clouds wot are better?

No same clouds. We already have quite nice clouds. Just depends on the mission settings usually.

Jason

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20
  • Upvote 7

StaB/Tomio_VR***

Any GM-1 system or other boost on the A6 variants ?

Edited by StaB/Tomio_VR***
  • Like 1

Not first at all but really pleased.

I’m looking forward for the mossie anyway

• Upvote 1

scotsmanFlyingscotsman

Always glad to see another version of the FW-190, Stormbird site mentions this version was designed against heavy bombers, so the B-16 (AI) Marauder should be a good target....if you can catch it, we live in interesting times!

Thanks guys

• Upvote 1

• Han unpinned this topic