Developer Diary 269 - Discussion

Han

CDRSEABEE

Is there a plan to update us on the infantry status? What is planned, models, AI actions..etc..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Is there a plan to update us on the infantry status? What is planned, models, AI actions..etc..

I suspect that they'll keep that 'close to the chest' and not share until they know what is feasible (i.e. until it is done).

Jason did say earlier something about infantry assets such as possibly having machine gun nests... so I gather he was directing expectations towards having a few fixed infantry positions that would give more use for the high-explosive rounds of tanks and assault guns (and better represent the anti-infantry duties that armour was tasked with - especially the destruction of dug-in positions). I think I saw a comment more recently that seemed to suggest the possibility of actual animated infantry - but I wouldn't count on it. We're not going to get Arma style combined arms I don't think (probably not technically possible at these scales - and they have a lot of other things to work on which aren't free upgrades).

We should feel lucky if we get earthworks, fixed machine-gun positions, maybe a few anti-tank rifles... maybe a civilian building with a machine gunner or anti-tank rifle hidden in it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

senseispcc

This is annoying, always good news, no I should write fantastic news. Let us ask this continues for many many years with for each new module progress on all front.  This to enjoy a better more realistic game.  Thanks, and let us hope many more years of the same. :salute:

The Typhoon is a nice addition to the game, better I should write a obligatory addition to the game, only by the fact that this plane was a pillar of the ground offensive capability of the RAF. Thanks for this addition and I hope that the armament of this plane get the same attention than that of the Hurricane.  Thanks. :salute:😍

Edited by senseispcc
Addition

CDRSEABEE
1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

I suspect that they'll keep that 'close to the chest' and not share until they know what is feasible (i.e. until it is done).

Jason did say earlier something about infantry assets such as possibly having machine gun nests... so I gather he was directing expectations towards having a few fixed infantry positions that would give more use for the high-explosive rounds of tanks and assault guns (and better represent the anti-infantry duties that armour was tasked with - especially the destruction of dug-in positions). I think I saw a comment more recently that seemed to suggest the possibility of actual animated infantry - but I wouldn't count on it. We're not going to get Arma style combined arms I don't think (probably not technically possible at these scales - and they have a lot of other things to work on which aren't free upgrades).

We should feel lucky if we get earthworks, fixed machine-gun positions, maybe a few anti-tank rifles... maybe a civilian building with a machine gunner or anti-tank rifle hidden in it.

Some of the TC misions/campaigns made by the people in the forums already have machine gun nests. And they run when you shoot them.

Max_von_Wuthenau

wonderful, i can't decide if i want to fly this ugly brute or shoot it out of the sky with the AA

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Freycinet

Typhoon should be very interesting to fly, with some foibles that are well known. Model looks amazing but it will never be a beautiful plane!

• Upvote 1

Jaegermeister
6 hours ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Some of the TC misions/campaigns made by the people in the forums already have machine gun nests. And they run when you shoot them.

Yes, they do. Quite a few of the Block and vehicle objects have animated troops if you make them a linked object and give them a coalition. Have you ever strafed a train and seen the troops run in all directions and then fall down dead? I am patiently waiting for the horse drawn artillery pieces.  :hunter: We already have the group of horses.

• Like 1

Enceladus

Great job guys. The last sim that I know which had the Typhoon was CFS3 (WT and IL-2 1946 Mods don't count), so I'll be greatly looking forward to flying it when it comes out.

Along with the other planes... especially that Mosquito.

:salute:

Edited by Enceladus
  • Upvote 1

=SqSq=Civilprotection
On 1/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, migmadmarine said:

Certainly hope there will be gaps filled for the allied ground units. A Bofors 40mm is sorely lacking, and some British vehicles to compliment the American ones would be good. 

This^ is a must. But if there is time left in the day, the Oerlikon 20 mm and its semi-successor the 20 mm Polsten would flesh out Allied AAA very nicely. The triple mount would make an excellent counterpart to the flakvierling.

Canadian Tripe Polsten AA Carriage.jpg

18 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

On the longer term can we expect to have more and more of the existing vehicles be as nicely modelled and available for those who want them as collector items.

Can we also expect some new vehicles like tractors for airfield work and other utility vehicles ? 

This being for German and Allies versions.

The planned AAA vehicles would fill this role (initially) quite well if they were shipped with modifications to make them flatbeds or something similar.

• Upvote 1

=VARP=Tvrdi
On 1/23/2021 at 9:24 AM, IckyATLAS said:

On the longer term can we expect to have more and more of the existing vehicles be as nicely modelled and available for those who want them as collector items.

Can we also expect some new vehicles like tractors for airfield work and other utility vehicles ? 

This being for German and Allies versions.

Tell me you are joking...

41Sqn_Skipper
30 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Farming simulators are a very popular genre. If IL2 would involve into full blown (combat) farming simulator, the player base would skyrocket. 🙃

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

=VARP=Ribbon
6 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

Farming simulators are a very popular genre. If IL2 would involve into full blown (combat) farming simulator, the player base would skyrocket. 🙃

Better fed army will win the war, you can't fight on empty stomach🤷😆

Now that wololololo priest would finally fit in il2!

• Haha 1

Luftschiff

Games that manage to harness the niche interests of dozens of tiny fields into a coherent whole are far and few between but deliciously interesting. Combined (F)arms Warfare sounds like a hit waiting to happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, =SqSq=Civilprotection said:

This^ is a must. But if there is time left in the day, the Oerlikon 20 mm and its semi-successor the 20 mm Polsten would flesh out Allied AAA very nicely. The triple mount would make an excellent counterpart to the flakvierling.

The planned AAA vehicles would fill this role (initially) quite well if they were shipped with modifications to make them flatbeds or something similar.

I don't know about that... the Bofors would really mess me up as a ground attack pilot... maybe it isn't necessary to model it? 😄

More seriously: Why not an M15? You get an anti-aircraft armament with a powerful 37mm and two 0.50 calibres... so a single turret with a varied armament (as well as a powerful one). Useful for ground support as well. Furthermore, there were 1600 built (and 100 were sent to the Soviet Union): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2-5rNENTA

Trooper117
14 hours ago, Freycinet said:

Typhoon should be very interesting to fly, with some foibles that are well known. Model looks amazing but it will never be a beautiful plane!

Yes, will be looking forward to the Tiffy... as to beauty, no, but thuggish, dangerous and something to be feared, yes...

Deacon352nd

Somebody mentioned civilian buildings with machine gun or anti tank guns in them. I’ve placed machine guns and pak 40’s inside buildings with just a small portion of their muzzle exposed outside the wall and they have taken out passing tanks and trucks. Additionally if the opposite coalition tanks see them and fire into the building they can be destroyed. 

Edited by Deacon352nd
  • Thanks 1

IckyATLAS
4 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Hmm..... not really, but maybe I did not use the right word. I said tractors but I was meaning bulldozers.

You now those big bulldozers to build runways, move around charred remains of burnt planes, filling the runway craters after a bombing run etc.

That was my real wish.

As farming is concerned, having some farming tractors to be used as objects to enrich life in our pretty dull and inanimate villages, and also some horse carriages, I am for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Hmm..... not really, but maybe I did not use the right word. I said tractors but I was meaning bulldozers.

You now those big bulldozers to build runways, move around charred remains of burnt planes, filling the runway craters after a bombing run etc.

That was my real wish.

As farming is concerned, having some farming tractors to be used as objects to enrich life in our pretty dull and inanimate villages, and also some horse carriages, I am for it.

There were also war tractors at Stalingrad... which famously caused German forces to retreat in confusion.

On 1/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, Freycinet said:

Like the tail coming off?

Interesting read by one who flew ( and disliked the Tiffy:)

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2019/01/douglas-gordon-part-2-the-troubles-with-typhoons/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

II/JG17_HerrMurf
On 1/24/2021 at 6:48 AM, IckyATLAS said:

That was my real wish.

I actually agree. For very (what I expect) little impact on performance there should be a much larger selection of static objects available, both on and off airfield. Even static "crew/personnel" objects as I've shown in another sim's video makes the airfields pop and appear more alive. I enjoy the few wanding servicemen we get currently but four guys on an airfield other than AAA crew seems a little low. :) 

The DEVS have made some much appreciated small strides here with a couple of airfield trucks recently. Some welding carts, APU's, field kitchens, ammo carts, etc as static airfield objects could fill out the scenery and need not be destructible.

A few civilian objects, even tractors on the thousands of currently abandonded crop fields would be welcome. Considering how many fields there are you could make tractors/plows/grain bails/beasts of burden/etc a permanent fixture on some of the grids instead of place-able objects.

I wish I had the knowledge/talent to produce those objects and submit them for consideration. Perhaps some community members could take that on. I have found a few good references if anyone is interested in such a project.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jade_Monkey
3 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I actually agree. For very (what I expect) little impact on performance there should be a much larger selection of static objects available, both on and off airfield. Even static "crew/personnel" objects as I've shown in another sim's video makes the airfields pop and appear more alive. I enjoy the few wanding servicemen we get currently but four guys on an airfield other than AAA crew seems a little low. :) 

The DEVS have made some much appreciated small strides here with a couple of airfield trucks recently. Some welding carts, APU's, field kitchens, ammo carts, etc as static airfield objects could fill out the scenery and need not be destructible.

A few civilian objects, even tractors on the thousands of currently abandonded crop fields would be welcome. Considering how many fields there are you could make tractors/plows/grain bails/beasts of burden/etc a permanent fixture on some of the grids instead of place-able objects.

I wish I had the knowledge/talent to produce those objects and submit them for consideration. Perhaps some community members could take that on. I have found a few good references if anyone is interested in such a project.

Yes. To me that would make a world of a difference. 

IckyATLAS
8 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

And we did have all this in the previous IL2 flight sim from Oleg Maddox. We had a full set of soldiers that were crudely modelled in various postures with their rifle, standing or lying on the ground to shoot or crouched etc. We had even tables, and chairs, as well as radios to put in tent camps. Textures were also very crude but we had them.

I made missions where I developed a full beach landing with troops and a lot of equipment on the beach. We had bulldozers, amphibious tanks and a lot of various crates for ammunition, explosives etc.  I could make the platoons or battalions disembarking from the landing vessels and coming onto the beach etc.

In the landing boats and ships all guns had a man behind it. This also is missing here with empty ships and computer controlled robotic guns.

Let's be fair, the quality of the graphics and the detail of the models at that time was crude but we had them and from afar the illusion was perfect. The soldiers were static objects but it breathed life in the simulation.

Today we can hope to have much better textures and details, when I see the quality of the pilots models. Even the soldiers that are modelled besides the AAA and artillery guns are better than before. So It can be done. Without going as far as having the ground personnel detailed as much as the pilots, it would not make sense, but something in between is good enough. This means that Jason and his dev team can do much much better than the previous IL2 saga as far as the "environment modelling" is concerned. After all why not do a collector package for mission editing. I would be ready to pay for that and pay well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Johnny_Dioxin

I remember reading about flying this aircraft in Pierre Closterman's book not that long ago. At least we are not likely to suffer the consequences of fumbled landings - or attempting to land a damaged aircraft (apparently you had more chance of surviving if you bailed out of a damaged or malfunctioning aircraft) as the real pilots did. I was wondering how or if that would be incorporated into the sim model. Seems most of them flipped over and caught fire.

I don't think we will be able to complain at all - not that I would anyway - about difficulties in that area this time.

• Upvote 1

Bremspropeller
17 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Like the tail coming off?

Interesting read by one who flew ( and disliked the Tiffy:)

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2019/01/douglas-gordon-part-2-the-troubles-with-typhoons/

I think the tail issues were fixed.

I love that hand-drawn approach-chart.

Photo-2018-10-24-1-25-27-PM.jpg

In my country, those Q-Codes are still a thing (and tought and more or less required to be known).

• Han unpinned this topic
dukethejuke

Thanks for your hard work guys really.