BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 66

Hi Everyone!

Today we publish answers to the most interesting and important questions of the forum community. Friday game update is still being worked at, and it will be released later today. Don't expect big content updates, it's mostly about bug fixes and improvements.

How will the single-player campaign work? Are we going to play as an abstract or real pilot, or we freely choose where to server and what plane to fly? Are separate missions in the campaign connected?

Our goal is to tell the story of Battle of Stalingrad to as many players as we can. This approach along with restricted development period surely limits us in comprehensive recreation of smaller details. Thus it will not be a single player campaign about a pilot or a squadron. It will be about aircraft and war history.

We'd be glad to avoid endless community arguments on that matter. However, there's a lot to discuss since even historians are not certain about some moments. So we just turn away a bit from these issues and create a game about planes. Let your imagination personalize your gaming experience. We're an unbiased story teller. You are pilots living virtual lives in the sim. Also, this community is quite segmented in its desires, just because you are the loudest, does not mean you are the biggest. A lot of players can't afford to spend more than 1 hour a day in the game while the other group of players is able to play the game 10 hours a day or even more. And we realized that it's not us making the game emotional, it is you. Our part is to deliver necessary conditions for your experience.

IL2:BOS campaign will tell you the story of Battle of Stalingrad from November 19th 1942 till February 2nd 1943. The whole period is split into operations (phases of the battle). Each phase has a realistic template on how ground troops and airfields were positioned. We did our best to be as precise as possible in this and all templates are based on historically correct data and real maps. We divided the battle into several key parts: Uranus, Little Saturn, Aerial Bridge, Winter Thunder and so on.

Meanwhile the player is not limited with anything and the playable character is impersonalized. Each player is going to have their own virtual life and singular, specific experience and emotions. You'll be free to pick any plane, any airfield and any mission that is available at that moment. And this unique experience of yours will build your personal campaign.

Missions are not connected with each other. There's sort of a "groundhog day" within each single phase. Time of a day, weather conditions (within a list of historically correct ones for each period) will vary every time you start the mission. And you play this or that phase as many times as you want. Several successfully completed missions open access to the next phase leaving the completed one available for reply at any time. This is akin to sand-box style gaming.

Players who are looking for precise reconstruction of particular historical events will have community created missions to satisfier their demands. Those missions can tell about specific pilots, events and real combat missions down to historically correct personal skins and battle conditions. But our studio is not able to deal with such amount of tasks right now, that's why community we'll need to provide themselves with those WWII reconstruction missions. And the main campaign will remain available for the wider audience.

Is there going to be an object viewer? The opening screen with the rotating plane is stunning. Really allows you to view the aircrafts details. It'd be great to be able to do that with aircraft and even vehicles and other objects as needed.

We have such tool, but it's been designed for development purposes and that's why its interface is too complex. I hope that we'll be able to make something like it for you. But this may happen after game release only.

What’s the final decision regarding the pilot’s exhaustion simulation? There was a users’ poll about it somewhere on the forum...

Read more

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

71bdb10de1445417e4cbe3bb6756676d.png

Err...This is the biggest error you can make, You are underestimating us, I dont think 5% use the editor, You can tell me that the 5% use the editior to make Top notch missions, but the rest, likely 60%-70% uses it to do test, squadron missions and some simple missions, but dont tell me/us that, Cutting the editor its cutting the future of Il-2 BOS

Anyway thanks for the info

Edited by Manu_vc
  • Upvote 11

Even though I have been using computers since the Atari 512 days and enjoyed creating missions in the original Il2, the mission builder in RoF is way beyond me.

Ergo as BoS is along the same lines I would not be using it.

Hopefully we will have some players the caliber of Pat Wilson from RoF, who with some incentive from the Devs will give us some decent missions and campaigns.

Err...This is the biggest error you can make, You are underestimating us, I dont think 5% use the editor, You can tell me that the 5% use the editior to make Top notch missions, but the rest, likely 60%-70% uses it to do test, squadron missions and some simple missions, but dont tell me/us that, Cutting the editor its cutting the future of Il-2 BOS

Anyway thanks for the info

BoS editor will be like RoF editor. Can you work in RoF editor? This is a very complicated tool, you can try to work in RoF editor right now and make your conclusions.

Hi ,

Could we get La-5 unlocked in Duel servers please.

Cheers

@BlackSix

You only need desire and time. I am not telling about a 10/10 mission, but to do some training squad. Would be easier.

Sorry if the old comment was not very polite, I am not used to an il2 without editor, Just saying my Opinion.

Hope the expert guys give us much missions.

• Upvote 2

@blacksix:

Do you know if the widescreen/multimonitor bug has been adressed on this week release?

thanks

BoS editor will be like RoF editor. Can you work in RoF editor? This is a very complicated tool, you can try to work in RoF editor right now and make your conclusions.

Uhm, I am completely baffled. Is this your definite answer? There won't be any simplified editor for all despite there had been announced intention from some of the dev team? Only a selected elite group being able to create customized missions? Serious? This is really putting me down entirely. I think it will be a huge mistake to not provide an editor and be it just something rudimentary.

• Upvote 2

I think something is lost in translation.

The people you know from ROF get the editor before release.

The 5% of people might get a chance before release to use the complicated FMB.

Are these statements correct?

edit: thanks for the clarification zak

Edited by [JG2]Phant0m

Uhm, I am completely baffled. Is this your definite answer? There won't be any simplified editor for all despite there had been announced intention from some of the dev team? Only a selected elite group being able to create customized missions? Serious? This is really putting me down entirely. I think it will be a huge mistake to not provide an editor and be it just something rudimentary.

Some time after game release FMB will be available to everybody but not during early access. At this point it is similar to ROF editor which means that it's not yet ready to be given to everyone. When it's done, it'll be okay to give it to wider audience.

• Upvote 7

Thank you, Zak. Now I can sleep calmly tonight.

PS: The RoF editor is difficult but doable. I've played with it a bit when I briefly zapped into RoF and while I realized that it will take quite a while to get proficient with it, it always appeared to me that I could learn it. The thing is I was never really hotly interested in the ww1 aerial combat and thus I was not much motivated to build missions for RoF. For BoS, completely different picture. So don't overestimate the difficulty of the FMB of RoF either.

Edited by sturmkraehe
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't sound particularly inspiring. :(

Hopefully it'll be better when we actually get to experience it, but on paper it doesn't sound like the kind of offline experience that will excite anybody, newbie or veteran.

As a solely SP person here, I must say I am not feeling very excited today... I too am hoping it is better than what I am perceiving.

• Upvote 1

Some time after game release FMB will be available to everybody but not during early access. At this point it is similar to ROF editor which means that it's not yet ready to be given to everyone. When it's done, it'll be okay to give it to wider audience.

Thanks Zak , that sounds better! I read something back in the FMB thread but seeing the new Dev Diary I Tough the devs rolled back the decision

Thank you, Zak. Now I can sleep calmly tonight.

+1Millions

Yes we can.

At least some of us.

I would at least ask for a way of application like sending in made missions with the RoF editor.

Assuming most of us are just too stupid to work with the FMB is slightly said...outrageous.

Again, squadron live ,as we created by day one in Il2-1946, seems not be possible.

The team is shooting itself in the knee by following that FMB politics announced , next to the announcement of the flat singleplayer expiereince offered.

When it's done, it'll be okay to give it to wider audience.

Sry, bolleks....it will be released when its done...phrases we know from so many game devs ...

However, give the people a chance by application.

Edited by 1./JG42Nephris
  • Upvote 1

forget it. You´re NOT seen cabable to use it by the Developers and Publisher.

Fullstop.

You, same as me are only the loud part of the community.

They will see whats left of their user base when they´re finished with this kind of policy.

10-4!

Edited by ZG15_Falke

Looking forward to the editor then. To me multiplayer servers and ability to create own missions are more important than a campaign.

• Upvote 2

FMB doesn't bother me at all, I am the guy with a family and likes to get in the multiplayer and shoot down those sorry 109's! :) No time for FMB anyway.

• Upvote 1

Can we perhaps get some clarification of this "those who we have worked with before" group?

I did play RoF quite a bit (probably not the case for the majority here) and since 2009, but even i can barely imagine what group this would be and how many people this would actually include.

Also that part about the carreer sound alot like the RoF carreer, excluding the part of the different operations. Are those carreers comparable?

• Upvote 1

Built  SOME missions for ROF and flew them quite a lot with my squadies .Like CO-OPS but in the Dogfight mode with various Ai on both sides from targets to flights then make an objective for both sides to try to achieve .Please put me down for an early sample of the mission builder and a couple of missions to desect to see how they are assembled please if possible .

• Upvote 1

Pity about the belly landing stuff. It's really frustrating that AI bails every time. :(

Re: FMB. It'll be released when it's done. Fair enough, that's akin to giving us an early release of the game before all modes are implemented, but all features present, which is ok by me, we're already playing the game with not everything in it so that just means the wait for FMB is a little longer.

How do you think those missions that you like to fly in, on the multiplayer servers you like to visit, are created?

Unless you're more of an air-quake kinda guy, then it sounds like you'll be well catered for at release.

Like I said I have a family to care for, no time for FMB, for those that can spend all day playing that's great. Thanks for the missions, Doesn't change my view on FMB or when or where I will play. I bought the game for multiplayer anyhow, as long as that is smooth then it is money well spent.

The single player experience sounds completely inadequate. It's a real pity no imagination can be diverted to developing a worthwhile product for your largest client base. It will be your downfall.

• Upvote 2

I seriously wonder about who asked that "frag" question :biggrin:

We're at BoS and not air quake after all :)

But I will appreciate any scoring system that is more complex than Il-2's. And I hope the AI won't steal my kills. They did back then even by shooting at completely broken aircraft, which was kinda frustrating.

Can we perhaps get some clarification of this "those who we have worked with before" group?

I did play RoF quite a bit (probably not the case for the majority here) and since 2009, but even i can barely imagine what group this would be and how many people this would actually include.

Also that part about the carreer sound alot like the RoF carreer, excluding the part of the different operations. Are those carreers comparable?

Players who created good mission for ROF and IL-2 are these few persons who may try to do smth with our FMB

No, it's not compatible.

The single player experience sounds completely inadequate. It's a real pity no imagination can be diverted to developing a worthwhile product for your largest client base. It will be your downfall.

It's not a career like in ROF and it was announced long before. What did you expect then, Feathered?

Thanks for the update.  I would imagine your team is overworked, underpaid and overwhelmed trying to get the best sim possible released within budget and on schedule.  Everyone has their wishlist and yours is probably strong sales.  Most of what I've wished for has already been realized so thanks.  

• Upvote 2

I have to say as a single player, my expectations regarding the career mode of the Sim has "been shot down".  If my understanding of what has been explained here is correct, this falls far short of what ROF offers....So, perhaps it was a mistake to think we would have something similar within BOS.  Perhaps the community can morph something up in the future with some extra work.....

Edited by JagdNeun
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't sound particularly inspiring. :(

Concur. I was really hopeful that a dynamic campaign would be delivered. This is not good news, despite how much I love the flight models and overall feel of BoS. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure I follow how this career/campaign works... Are we creating a pilot and having him assigned to a unit, and flying missions for that unit, or instead looking at a map of the missions for the day, and deciding what ones we want to fly, and choosing any of them at will? 

Our goal is to tell the story of Battle of Stalingrad to as many players as we can. This approach along with restricted development period surely limits us in comprehensive recreation of smaller details. Thus it will not be a single player campaign about a pilot or a squadron. It will be about aircraft and war history.

:nea:

Only those who we have worked with before will have a chance to get their hands on the editor during early access. The editor is too complex. It has reached functionality, but it’s too hard to learn to use it.

Can you please take out complex engine management?  I think its too hard to manage oil and radiator temperature, RPM, and manifold pressure while flying and keeping track of friendlies and enemies, correctly identifying aircraft by their silhouette, and lining up my aircraft such that when I pull the trigger the rounds will travel 300+m out in front of me where I've calculated the enemy aircraft will be when the rounds pass through that area.  Its too hard.

I think you've misjudged your own community.  I don't think anyone is upset that the FMB will be released after the game, or even that it will be difficult to use.  At least for me, its just infuriating that you think I'm not intelligent enough to figure it out, so you will select a few community members to give it to.

From the sound of the singleplayer campaign, the FMB just got a lot more important.  Please give it to everyone or no one (read as: everyone).

I suggest you take a look at the Arma 3 community.  There are hundreds of missions available for that game.  Its editor is pretty simple, but can be quite complex when adding scripts and triggers and more interesting features.  I have downloaded exactly 0 missions for Arma 3.  My buddies and I only play missions that we make.  This is the same for every combat flight simulator we've played (IL2, DCS, etc.)

Can you work in RoF editor? This is a very complicated tool, you can try to work in RoF editor right now and make your conclusions.

This was not helpful.  So, I can either prove you right, that I'm not capable of learning the editor - or I can prove you wrong, and be frustrated that I won't be allow access to the editor I learned to use.  Win-Win.

I would also like to introduce you to a website called YouTube.  You can find video tutorials for anything.  I imagine the community would produce these for you.

A 2-second search reveals there are already tutorials for the ROF editor available.

Thank you for the update.  I've been enjoying the game quite a bit.

Edited by MasaIV
  • Upvote 2

The news about SP is disappointing :(

It sounds like the career that was first in ROF. I hoped for a advanced ROF-beta-career.

• Upvote 1

I suggest you take a look at the Arma 3 community.  There are hundreds of missions available for that game.  Its editor is pretty simple, but can be quite complex when adding scripts and triggers and more interesting features.  I have downloaded exactly 0 missions for Arma 3.  My buddies and I only play missions that we make.  This is the same for every combat flight simulator we've played (IL2, DCS, etc.)

Yup and uploadable to steam workshop, which team said the game is going to be there... I think they really have to rethink FMB access.
  • Upvote 2

Whilst I dont agree with the over-reaction/attitude of some comments...you can add me to the disappointed regarding single-player.

That said, there is nothing here that seems to be wildly out of line wit previous announcements and time-constraints.

I guess I had assumed (wrongly) that successes in other areas of dev would lead to a quietly spectacular or light-under-a-bushel sp campaign to make a splash. Lots of bushel but no light.

Ah well...

Ben

• Upvote 1

I personally think it's as much about deadlines and publisher expectations as it is about the difficulty of making a decent campaign. I know the release isn't until fall but that's only a few scant months away and there still seems like there's a lot to be accomplished. Even at the farthest reaches of the fall time frame, we're only talking 5 months now.

EDIT: BTW, Loft mentioned last week that he'd TRY to get some FW images to the community. Is that possible?

Edited by Robert

The news about SP is disappointing :(

It sounds like the career that was first in ROF. I hoped for a advanced ROF-beta-career.

Maybe it will not be as disapointing as you think. Wait and see.

And it took a lot of time to make the career mode in RoF, because it is very difficult to build a good one. Maybe a more classical career will come in future, the devs are only talking about what there will be in the release, not about what will be done if everything works well (don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong).

And Pat Wilson or somebody else can probably do something about this career in the meantime...

EDIT: BTW, Loft mentioned last week that he'd TRY to get some FW images to the community. Is that possible?

I promised to try to post some as well but there are no cockpit images yet. We'll see what we gonna have next week.