Repairs/damage control

There is a problem though in that if you close the hatches momentarily (as you are about to be bombed by an over-enthusiastic friendly!) the repair time resets to its original value. This is annoying as you have sat for eight minutes waiting for a track repair, you momentarily duck in, and you are back to ten minutes.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. 

So i've been playing a while now and just can't figure out how to repair my tank during any campaign or mission. 

What is the default key bind for this or how can i configure my game to do so.

Could be this question is old but i would really like to know how as it's so frustrating not do repair my tank any way.

Thanks!!

5 hours ago, ldnik said:

Hello all. 

So i've been playing a while now and just can't figure out how to repair my tank during any campaign or mission. 

Could be this question is old but i would really like to know how as it's so frustrating not do repair my tank any way.

Thanks!!

To repair you need to switch off the engine and open the commanders hatch and it will repair itself, depending on the damage it should be fairly quick.If you hit enter that will bring up a graphic of the tank, the icons on it, and their colour tells you how bad the damage is , ie Red for bad damage etc...I hope this is the info you need.

40 minutes ago, L1A1 said:

To repair you need to switch off the engine and open the commanders hatch and it will repair itself, depending on the damage it should be fairly quick.If you hit enter that will bring up a graphic of the tank, the icons on it, and their colour tells you how bad the damage is , ie Red for bad damage etc...I hope this is the info you need.

6 hours ago, ldnik said:

Hello all. 

Thanks!!

@ L1A1 , thanks a lot! Now i can continue the missions again.

It depends on the server, or the mission if you are in single player, for example in the Finnish server which is a very popular server, you can repair, but you cannot rearm. Some other nice chaps will come and explain it in further detail than I ever could, but that is the basics really.

Salute!

-Gerald

• 2 weeks later...

I only play on my own pc,the individual scenarios. With some tanks if you turn off the engine and have the driver open his hatch he will repair the tracks, but it takes time. There is a countdown that flashes up every few moments. 

I've not yet discovered how to do this with the Pz3 as it doesn't have a drivers hatch. 

In reality a vehicle low in ammo could call for a resupply (hence muni-panzers) or go to a resupply dump. Again, some scenarios do include this, you just drive to a certain point and follow the instructions. The Panther stand alone scenario has this. 

2 hours ago, Wilfried_Richter said:

I only play on my own pc,the individual scenarios. With some tanks if you turn off the engine and have the driver open his hatch he will repair the tracks, but it takes time. There is a countdown that flashes up every few moments. 

I've not yet discovered how to do this with the Pz3 as it doesn't have a drivers hatch. 

In reality a vehicle low in ammo could call for a resupply (hence muni-panzers) or go to a resupply dump. Again, some scenarios do include this, you just drive to a certain point and follow the instructions. The Panther stand alone scenario has this. 

It works for all in-game vehicles except the free tanks. Open any hatch and turn off the engine and the tank will start to repair any damage that is repairable. Hit the "Enter" key to see all the damage on your vehicle and whether it is repairable.

5 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

It works for all in-game vehicles except the free tanks. Open any hatch and turn off the engine and the tank will start to repair any damage that is repairable. Hit the "Enter" key to see all the damage on your vehicle and whether it is repairable.

I'm not sure which ones are free - I couldn't get it work on any Pz3, is that what you mean?

8 hours ago, Wilfried_Richter said:

I'm not sure which ones are free - I couldn't get it work on any Pz3, is that what you mean?

I think for the PzIIIM, you can use either the Commander's hatch, or the Gunner's. But all you have to do is hit the "Rt ALT + C" keys from each station to learn which ones have a working hatch.

23 minutes ago, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

Wilfried, if you play Missions alone and you have to repair, you can use the ][ keys to speed up time and reset it to normal when the repair is done. Also helpful for long drives 

What keys are those?

Thanks

Obviously if your crewman has been decapitated he cannot be fixed. But if he has just bumped his head due to, say, an invisible tree, should he be able to recover in exchange for an additional jailing penalty after the tank damage is fixed?

I kinda like the way it is currently modeled, but would make a couple requests/additions.

At the moment, field repairs can be made but they are limited in terms of what can be repaired and to what extent. This is a reasonable model because crews were limited in the spare parts they could carry and the type of repairs they could make in the field. Most of what a crew did regularly in the field was routine maintenance i.e. gun cleaning, track tension, running gear lubrication.

Currently crew injuries cannot be healed in the field, and I think this is also a good model and a reasonable representation of real life. What could be done on the spot in terms of addressing crew injury is limited to applying basic bandages/stop bleeding, and simple pain relief. Any crew wounded in the heat of battle would have to largely continuing functioning on pure adrenaline alone. If an injured crew falls into shock due to low blood volume, you basically have an empty seat until you can get relief. But injured crew still able to function continue with some impairment.

But if the mission you are on includes RRR zones and you make it back to one, your vehicle will receive a full workshop type repair and gets fully renewed, and all injured crew are fully healed.

What I would like to see added for RRR zones is crew replacement, so that any dead crew are replaced like they would be in real life. And when in the field, it would be nice if we could use our radios to call for more extensive field repairs, crew healing/replacement. If you are in a SP game, you are likely to just respawn into another tank. But if you are in a MP session where the number of working tanks is important to finishing the mission, then your suggestions for some type of time penalty to call in backup/support would fit well here IMO.

Edited by LachenKrieg

Please give us an option for faster tank repairs. I know, some love the realism, and I am totally fine with that. And I also know that it is of course already faster than in real life. But that is exactly the point. As little as it makes sense to wait in a sim/game one and a half hours for repairs, it makes no sense to wait 10 minutes. Nothing happens during these 10 mins. No repair animation, no mini-game for the player to solve (like holding a wrench), etc etc.. Now, that is fine by me in general, but not for 10 min. It is just 10 minutes being lost doing nothing.

Again, great if someone wants that. But for those of us, who are limited in their time, it would be nice to have an option, that limits tank repairs to max 3 min. It doesn't hurt those who strive for realism and opt for the realistic repair times, and it helps us, who think that waiting 10 minutes in a mission doing nothing, is a senseless loss of time.

Thank you for considering it.

PS: Ofc this option is meant for singleplayer, multiplayer is something else, or, in fact, the servers should be able to set what they prefer.

Edited by 104th_IronMike

And that never breaks a mission? In complex missions, from experience, in any sim, speeding up can end bad. Either way I see little reason why repairs should take that long. Completely shot up bombers don't take that long (if available), in DCS you repair an entire jet in 3 minutes, etc... I mean, if someone likes that, I dont want to take away from them, I just think it is too long. IMHO even for MP. It's also less of an immersion breaker imo, if you take a 1 - 3 min time out (max), or just a breath, while waiting for repairs, than speeding up time and staring at trees wiggling in an frenzy. I dont mind the repair feature in general, I just think it is unnecessary long without adding any real value to the gameplay. (Likely speed up won't change for example, if an entire mission runs its course, before you get to repair. In that case, or often, a restart makes more sense, and then repair isnt needed at all.)

I honestly even have a hard time seeing "realism" as an arguement, because in consequence, to really make it realistic, you'd have to let it repair an hour or whatever, and for some reason no one would want that I suppose. 3 min imo is an acceptable length of forced doing nothing in a video game, any minute beyond that is a minute that could have been spent with game play. And that includes driving. I don't mind driving long distances - because it means you do something, you play. Like walking in Arma... 😄 Even say in FS, doing a laung haul on autopilot, you monitor the systems, you talk to ATC, while here, you just do nothing. Another problem being that you lose your entire platoon, because you shut down your engines... Could you give em orders in the meantime, or position them, etc... or do something with or in your Tank, I wouldnt complain.

Just an example: I have 30 min to play a short mission. After 5 min my right track is blown to spaghetti. I have the choice now: repair, and wait 10 minutes, or restart. I would dare to suggest, that the majority of us would rather restart in this case, and most likely do. And sure, speeding up is an option, but an immersion breaking one, in many cases also mission progress breaking (if the rest of the pack continues to do its thing), and more like a bandaid to a problem than a real solution imho.

Edited by 104th_IronMike

Another huge issue is currently the inability to order tanks in your platoon to repair and even more so: losing your entire platoon when shutting down the engines. I really hope they find a solution for this, it is very annoying. In platoon missions this basically means: if you have to repair, you can just as well restart the mission.

Following your idea above, at R/R stations, replacement for your lost tanks in your platoon could also be a thing.

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, 104th_IronMike said:

Another huge issue is currently the inability to order tanks in your platoon to repair and even more so: losing your entire platoon when shutting down the engines. I really hope they find a solution for this, it is very annoying. In platoon missions this basically means: if you have to repair, you can just as well restart the mission.

Following your idea above, at R/R stations, replacement for your lost tanks in your platoon could also be a thing.

I encourage you to write down a report. It will help better than posting here. 

I agree, for scripted game play, speeding up the SIM could cause more problems then it solves. But in scripted game play, you as the single player are needed to trigger the progress, so the effects might be more mission specific. But in non-scripted single player game play, being able to speed up/slow down the SIM is a useful feature. You can even put the SIM in slow motion if you want to see how the shell hits your vehicle.

But in multi-player game play, I agree that time penalties for repair should consider how it affects game play.

9 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

As someone else has recently answered in another thread, you can use the square bracket keys [ ] to speed up and slow down the SIM's clock (time multiplier).

9 hours ago, 11thPanzer_Pete said:

You’re in luck.  The ] key can speed up time up to 8x.  The [ key can back it back down to real time.  You can speed up those repairs and even some of the longer drives. 

We all know the x8 doesn't really exist. 10 minutes of repair in x8 will become 7 minutes.

For my part, as long as it remains an OPTION, I have no problem with it, after all, we already have an option for engine preheating.

This weekend, in multiplayer, I had to wait 10 minutes for repairs, near the CP, in an open area ... well it was a little stressful (but it was good eh), it's more painful when you damage your engine on trees invisible in your territory because you know that there is really nothing to do except wait (in enemy territory, you stay on your guard and scan the surroundings).

I know that the current repairs are fine for me (it's already good to be able to repair in the field) but I can understand that some find it long (especially solo).

• 104th_IronMike changed the title to Option for faster tank repairs (mainly for Singleplayer)