New wind noise model

widget

Is there a .cfg file setting to reduce the new wind noise a bit?

It seems overdone for an undamaged intact canopy. In my cockpit, the overwhelming sound is the engine a few metres in front of me. And before someone jumps in to discount my observation, please understand I speak from 42 yrs of flying (13 in a Yak-50). I wear a helmet, sit under a WW2 Yak-style canopy, and behind a Soviet M14P radial engine. The only time I hear relatively loud wind noise is when I fully open the air vent at the base of the front windscreen. Even then, it's nowhere near as loud nor does it dominate the engine sound like it does in the new wind noise model.

• Like 1

Here is a video I took from the back seat of a P-51 doing about 300 knots at about 500 feet AGL. It was loud. At 2:35 you can hear me screaming at my video camera while holding it a foot from my mouth. You can still hear the engine but the wind noise is dominant.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Frontera143/p/1f3ceb3a-b328-411e-8329-44555d122e99

:salute:

skud

Edited by ATAG_SKUD
  • Like 1

I have also back-seated in the P51D (twice in Miss Torque in Wanaka NZ). With the pilot in front of me, I was not only further away (sound level drops as a function of 1/r^2) but the pilot in front of me blocked a lot of the engine noise. My clear memory due to an ill-fitting borrowed helmet, was deafening engine noise and little else.

• Like 1

I think speed makes a big difference on how much wind noise you're going to get.  Just like a car, falling rock or anything else. I have another segment of this flight on take-off and the engine is hugely dominant. So much so that it was affecting the tape heads through resonance on the video recorder. Also, during the canyon run my camera was up near the canopy and  had a clear shot to the engine while being about a foot behind the pilot. I was wearing a headset but no helmet.

skud

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Frontera143/p/fa390fde-ee98-4fbe-b097-274afd3c540f

Edited by ATAG_SKUD

Speed does make a difference. But it's good that we both flew in the same type and have different experiences with wind noise. Since I know I haven't lost my upper registers (last year's audiogram test for my Class 1 medical didn't find any issues), it suggests noise perception is subject to individual aural characteristics.

In my case, both sorties flown involved low level legs from Wanaka Airport to overhead Mill Brook Resort at slightly under 300KIAS and B050. Tom Middleton (RIP - lovely gentleman) was kind enough to handle the T/O and LND but left the rest to me. In both the LL run and subsequent aerobatics after pop up over the resort, all I recall was the discomfort from the engine noise despite my backseat position. It was a COLOSSAL racket. In the second sortie, with a better fitting helmet, I heard even less wind noise.

I like to think they already know there are problems and is not consistent with different planes, and expect a fix one day or the other. Of course wind noise hets louder with speed, but for some planes in this oatch it happens at too low speeds and cover engine noise too much. I think it also happens because prop noise is insufficient in game, we hear engine noise as tamed and that's OK with canopy closed and helmet, but those tortured prop tips going near supersonic at times are nowhere to be heard at this moment.

I had well fitting earcups on the headset and could hear the pilot over the intercom reasonably well When in normal flight or on the high speed run. I don't think my ears were a problem I get tested annually as well. Since this flight was a long time ago I refer to the recordings as better evidence of what I was actually experiencing.  Although I do think the engine was louder than what is captured in the recording because I can remember the engine noise from the take-off being deafening and I was unable to speak or hear the pilot over the headset. That balance between engine and wind noise though changed a good bit between the TO and the low level high speed run. The pilot was in a shallow dive coming off the San Bernardino Mountains on that run and so he might have backed off the boost a bit.

skud

Edited by ATAG_SKUD

I'm not sure what everyone is using for audio and the many different settings as well as the different frequencies each person can or can not hear. I think it would be good to post your audio setup and the different volume settings for computer, headphones, in game, etc. 

How do you have your sound set and what you use will make a huge difference in what you hear. 

I ended up buying the Razor Blackshark V2 headphones. Comes with a Razor usb sound card so you can dial in your sound, THX spatial sound, 10 ban eq, etc. 

If I don't use the THX spatial sound and leave the eq flat it will give a better representation of the game sound depending on your pc volume, headphone volume and ingame volume settings. 

Big wind drowning out the engine sound. 

About 125hz on the eq, if I move that up it can really increases that loud rumbling wind sound. Wind sound is in other frequencies as well but that's the big one. 

So if I use the Spatial sound, or try the different preset game eq settings and I can see the low end pushed up on the eq, on top of it using the spatial effect makes it worse. The wind is extremely loud, drowns out the engine unless you try to push the mid range up on eq to hear more engine sound or more importantly pull the low end frequency down to your liking. 

So I can see where some pilots may have loud rumbling wind that feels to loud or drowns out the engine due to how the pilot has his sound settings. 

I always appreciate the many video examples but none of the videos ever post are going to be a good representation of the sound recorded. That would take actual professionally recorded sound equipment and would probably need to be heard using special equipment, speakers, etc. Plus as soon as each person listens to the video the sound changes based on the users equipment, software, volume setting, and hearing etc. 

The good news you should be able to adjust your sound and not have wind drown out the engine. Bad news, devs can't fix user sound setting and audio equipment variations. 

Sorry a little long winded. 

I'm really happy with the wind over airframe sound, really helps with the feel of the plane. Wind sounds haven't been an issue even with the old crappy headphones provided I didn't use any spatial sound setting, and with the new headphones, ability to create profiles, and tweak the sound; it's just right for my ears. :-) 

Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the updates...but, the wind noise in the cockpit...hmm.  Is there a way to turn it down a little?  In a real airplane my David Clarks allow me to hear people talking...I can't wear them in IL-2, so please tell me where I can turn down the wind noise...just a little.  Thanks!  Edit: HP Reverb G2 headset...VR...Amazing!

Edited by Thorns1

There is no way to turn down the wind volume. But if you have an EQ, equalizer, then you can adjust the EQ so the wind is less prominent.

My Razer Blackshark V2 headphones come with a USB sound card and software. It has a 10 band EQ that I adjust to taste based on my volume settings, then save it as a profile. Check to see what you can do with your audio software. 

On 12/30/2020 at 4:21 AM, WWDriftwood said:

About 125hz on the eq, if I move that up it can really increases that loud rumbling wind sound. Wind sound is in other frequencies as well but that's the big one. 

So if I use the Spatial sound, or try the different preset game eq settings and I can see the low end pushed up on the eq, on top of it using the spatial effect makes it worse. The wind is extremely loud, drowns out the engine unless you try to push the mid range up on eq to hear more engine sound or more importantly pull the low end frequency down to your liking. 

Thank you! Very useful info indeed. I'll install an equaliser to address this issue.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:24 AM, Thorns1 said:

Thank you for the updates...but, the wind noise in the cockpit...hmm.  Is there a way to turn it down a little?  In a real airplane my David Clarks allow me to hear people talking...I can't wear them in IL-2, so please tell me where I can turn down the wind noise...just a little.  Thanks!  Edit: HP Reverb G2 headset...VR...Amazing!

Exactly my experience. Even at the edge of a 1G stall and low airspeed, the wind buffet noise is way overdone. I know I'm approaching stall in my 50 via the gentle stick vibration, not my ears. NB there's no stall warning horn in the 50.