BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XIX

Hello!

As I wrote last time, the pace of development continues to increase. We try to keep you up to date, but of course we like the nice bustle when you see something new. I am pleased to announce I have mastered landing the LaGG-3, the influence of the glide path and keeping the speed for a successful touch is increased. Now it is clear that, for example, after the landing gear and flaps extension phase of the landing begins and it is most difficult to reverse it at low altitude. The plane starts to "fall" in the direction of the runway and you need to "hang up" the plane at the last moment for landing. Incorrect speed in the vertical and horizontal leads to bounces and often leads to the loss of control or impact of one of the landing gear and breaking of the landing gear and from then on you can only pray. Also the plane strongly "sags" during vertical maneuvers in the bottom of the trajectory and it does so unexpectedly and this must be remembered. It seems that everything is fine and the height is enough but when you start to pull the stick back, you realize that it needs at least 50 meters. But of course is foolishly to describe the process using words that you have to feel.

Most likely this week the hottest topic of discussion will be the video that has leaked from my YouTube channel. I'll be careful here. I'm not mad at anyone because I understand that you're interested, but we're not ready for such videos. We???

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

About the pricing model: it's not boxed, nor is it like RoF, so what the hell remains...?

You seem to know how its going to be so why not just tell us? Are you afraid of negative reactions or what?

So probalby its going to be a boxed stock version with two planes and the map and then?

"But it will not be the same system from ROF where we offered users to decide what content to buy for your collection."

Why not? Does that mean we won't be able to buy additional planes?

How could we get the planes then? Jeez.... Come on!

Thanks for the update though, I really like that you take the time to model three kinds of lighting, very cool!

(For a plane im not able do buy in a boxed f2p download-ish addon... ;)

Edited by Sputnik

Very nice attention to detail with the illumination. If this level of attention is carried through to the rest of the simulator, well done in advance! I wouldn't worry too much about the leaked video, it looked pretty good to me and brought back a few nice memories.

Cheers.

Why has everyone seen that video except of me? There must be a secret link somewhere...please :D

It get's better with every snippet!  The dashboard lighting looks impressive.

Very interesting description of the landing approach.  Obviously a lot more going on "under the bonnet" in the FM department - excellent!

Glad to hear there will be a "box" release and "no free to play" with ridiculous limitations.  The "free to play" model seems to turn into a "pay to win" model!  

"in historical missions reward system will be very different and will be based primarily on performance of tasks and orders.

"

This is very good news! Right now in RoF, the fact that you only get points for destroying objects really limits the gameplay possibilities when building missions. I hope this gets transferred to Rise of Flight as well???

@Sputnik - I'm a mod here but know absolutely nothing more than you do. That said. The post said:

"When receiving planes you also get with it a number of different modifications to it; you don't need to buy them separately; you'll be able to play to get them."

That sounds to me (and I may be entirely, ludicrously wrong) like you'll start off with, say, a 109G2 and then, if you make progress in your career, your squadron, sorry, Staffel, will receive upgraded crates, like a G-'X'.

I COULD BE ENTIRELY WRONG!!!

THIS IS JUST MY INTERPRETATION OF THE POST.

It does fit the overall idea of everyone playing the singleplayer campaign though.

As for that vid you missed (Muhuhahahahhahaaa!!!) it was incredible, particularly the lighting and modeling of the aircraft. IMH and Biased O, the plane model could have been in a movie without anyone batting an eyelid. Just amazing.

I loved the canopy scratches, too.

I was wondering about the phosphorous cockpit elements just the other day - wondering if they will be modelled. Great to see they are. :)

Regarding the LaGG landing - you do model ground effect, don't you?

About the pricing model: it's not boxed, nor is it like RoF, so what the hell remains...?

You seem to know how its going to be so why not just tell us? Are you afraid of negative reactions or what?

So probalby its going to be a boxed stock version with two planes and the map and then?

"But it will not be the same system from ROF where we offered users to decide what content to buy for your collection."

Thanks for the update though, I really like that you take the time to model three kinds of lighting, very cool!

We're not ready to disclose details. We're still working on that element. Soon we'll tell you.

Regarding the LaGG landing - you do model ground effect, don't you?

Yes, we'll model ground effect.

Thank you for the update

the photos by night very good :good: 

Regards.

Edited by E69truppen

Very good update.. and Sputnik.. I missed the video too... :unsure:  so...

2) I'm sorry if this is too early to answer or somebody else already asked. I guess you will follow the system used in RoF, where there were 2 planes for free. The main concern for me is how we will pay for additional planes? Because I really would not appreciate to pay extra for Bf-109G-2, then G-6, then G-6 late, then G-6 AS... but I'll pay for whole Bf-109G pack. For example.

We'll give a detailed response later. But it will not be the same system from ROF where we offered users to decide what content to buy for your collection. In BoS we take the best from the "boxed" sales system and add all the advantages of digital and online sales system. When receiving planes you also get with it a number of different modifications to it; you don't need to buy them separately; you'll be able to play to get them. The project will not be F2P, now we can afford for it not to be.

F2P ... what is that...

Looks and sounds superb.  I've always loved exploring the subtle details of a FM...  The levels of cockpit lighting will really add a dimension to dark flight ops.  It appears very well done at each level.

Love the updates...  Keep sharing.

Ok...  Just found the video too.  Wow...  Looks fantastic.  Love the way the camera works as far as the turblence being noticeable just like in real life.  Noce cockpit shadows...  Clouds are believeable (that was always my major grip with the original ROF clouds - that they looked "cartoony").  The landscape looks very convincing...  Really looking forward to this.

Will there be ice modeled on the runway such that a plane will slide if too much braking is applied?

Edited by Caveman

Love the lighting of the cockpit. Will the light/dash be reflected in the canopy glass at night?

How visible will it be to opponents outside?

Cheers and thanks for the update.

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger

We have not decided on final details yet. There will be a pre-order period so all we become clear in the not to far future. Our user account system allows for flexibility so we can offer digital goods and boxed goods or a mixture of both. Our ROF experience taught us a lot about simmers purchasing behavior.

Jason

Being one of the lucky ones to have had a glimpse on the LaGG video, and watching the new cockpit lighting screenshots, I realise that the graphics level on this sim are going to be close to CLOD standards, if not better. It becomes apparent that the earlier comment about the 109 cockpit shots (i think it was Jason's) "it's how it looks on the engine, it's not how it will look at the actual sim" was spot on. Shadows and lightings are truly remarkable, extremely immersive, giving a completely different feel to the cockpit realism.  Even if the level of cockpit detail isn't at the actual CLOD level (as far as polygon numbers, etc is concerned), it seems that the effects that you guys have developed more than compensate for it. 

BlackSix, it's great to hear that you will model ground effect. How is the "wake turbulence" modelling that is mentioned in an earlier diary going? Have you decided to implement that as well?

And are you planning to include "Heavy" aircraft whose turbulent wake was significant?

Looks great, great, great!  OK...can someone post a link to the You Tube vid???  How about you Jason.  For those that haven't seen WE WANT TO SEE IT TOO!!!  The toothpaste is already out of the tube so let's not try and put it back. 

Found it and while WIP...it's glorious!

I believe it should not be here.

Edited by Zak
nda violation

We have not decided on final details yet. There will be a pre-order period so all we become clear in the not to far future. Our user account system allows for flexibility so we can offer digital goods and boxed goods or a mixture of both. Our ROF experience taught us a lot about simmers purchasing behavior.

Jason

Thanks for 'clearification', Jason and B6 ;)

Seems like I have to wait a littlebit longer for details, although I will buy it anyways, no matter what pricing model it may be, except for a monthly fee kind of thing which I am VERY allergic on (imagine paying a monthly fee for IL2 since 2001...)

"Our ROF experience taught us a lot about simmers purchasing behavior."

I hope this is a positive thing...?

The point I bring this up is, because I lovelovelove the RoF pricing model: constantly flow of new content, getting excited about the planes, doing some research in advance and then, finally, flying the plane myself. Christmas every couple of months or so ;)

I just wish BoS is gong to have this kind of experience also.

Oh and about the video: how do they say nowadays? Jizzed my pants? Nerdgasm? Well...

So excited!

Edited by Sputnik

Oh my God!  what a stunning video!  I was on the fence as I am mainly into WWI flying, but in a word....SOLD!

Oh my God!  what a stunning video!  I was on the fence as I am mainly into WWI flying, but in a word....SOLD!

Right, and from now on every other friday update will be a disappointment if there's no video in it :/

lol sputnik, no it wont as this one wasn't official!  Still, I want to see more!

The toothpaste is already out of the tube so let's not try and put it back. 

Hahaha, great one :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Sputnik - I'm a mod here but know absolutely nothing more than you do. That said. The post said:

"When receiving planes you also get with it a number of different modifications to it; you don't need to buy them separately; you'll be able to play to get them."

That sounds to me (and I may be entirely, ludicrously wrong) like you'll start off with, say, a 109G2 and then, if you make progress in your career, your squadron, sorry, Staffel, will receive upgraded crates, like a G-'X'.

I'm not sure about this, I think that most flight simmers dont necessarily want to 'achieve goals' to get new planes rather than 'get them delivered to the front when they are ready'. Could be wrong though, but your approach sounds very much like a gameplay feature for an arcade game rather than a flight sim. But we will see, I am confident the devs will figure something out which pleases both the gamers and the simmers.

The video is stunning even if it's only a test for the pre-pre-alpha, and it's probably the best thing could happen to give us some more exicetement.

I'm very happy.

I only hope you gusy will provide to german aviation the same quality we have seen in the LaGG-3 cockpit.

Edited by Veltro

Right, and from now on every other friday update will be a disappointment if there's no video in it :/

Maybe for you :(

took a look at the vid again and must say I am very excited.  Love the very realistic and gentle movement of the plane.  Love the roundness of the prop and the way the light moves across the fuselage.  Ground looks great.  Can't wait to buy and keep on buying planes, maps, etc, etc, etc.  Developers...wonderful work.

Long live IL-2!!!

Then at least be sure not to miss any of those that go with videos in them ;)

I only hope you gusy will provide to german aviation the same quality we have seen in the LaGG-3 cockpit.

Same standards for every aircraft in the schedule. Trust me, I've seen that gorgeous Fridrich :salute:

Great screen shots guys.And fantastic vid

I'm not sure about this, I think that most flight simmers dont necessarily want to 'achieve goals' to get new planes rather than 'get them delivered to the front when they are ready'. Could be wrong though, but your approach sounds very much like a gameplay feature for an arcade game rather than a flight sim. But we will see, I am confident the devs will figure something out which pleases both the gamers and the simmers.

I'd hate to think it might used like a "powerup" video game type of thing. But I'd rather think it could be implemented in such a way that it would reflect how well you and your squadron performed in the air. It's hard to imagine any air force giving it's latest and greatest A/C to an underachieving group of pilots. I think it could work as a system for online and off.

Excellent update btw.

"in historical missions reward system will be very different and will be based primarily on performance of tasks and orders.

"

This is very good news! Right now in RoF, the fact that you only get points for destroying objects really limits the gameplay possibilities when building missions. I hope this gets transferred to Rise of Flight as well???

In fact, you can earn awards in career mode right now in ROF based on criteria that have nothing to do with destroying objects, such as number of sorties completed, missions flown, total flight time, etc.

In fact, you can earn awards in career mode right now in ROF based on criteria that have nothing to do with destroying objects, such as number of sorties completed, missions flown, total flight time, etc.

Sure, for single player in RoF this is already possible, but I was thinking of MP and maybe online campaigns.

The toothpaste is already out of the tube so let's not try and put it back. 

Agreed. Found it after a bit of googling. Might as well post it here as WIP.

Lots of great little details in the video but I loved the external camera. I've always hated the external camera that appears to be mounted on a rod attached to the plane. This video seems like it was shot from another plane. Reminds me of my attempts to stay in close formation IRL. The pilot can be seen moving around in the external view too. Very nice touch that takes the realism up a notch. Gives me hope that the user's head movements will be reflected similarly.

Okay, I've seen it too. Loved it.

Agree about the external camera, it's almost perfect. If it's allowed to make a suggestion though, when the filmed airplane starts banking away from the 'camera plane', it would give a better feel if the filmed airplane would be allowed to gain some distance first before the 'camera plane' starts catching up as if it also entered a bank to follow. Thus avoiding the feel of the camera being mounted to the filmed plane on a rod, as airmalik has mentioned.

MAC

• Upvote 1

Aw come on, you lot, give us at least a hint of what words to use for  search!

For as long as it lasts...

Naughty naughty.

Jason