Jump to content
Han

Developer Diary 266 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

Just now, Han said:
266
Dear friends,

As you know, the long-awaited Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka was released officially recently. This is a very important milestone in the development of the IL-2 Great Battles series even if it has deviated from the aviation theme a bit. However, those of you who read our Dev Blog regularly know that the tank project development contributed to the aircraft features immensely. And while today's Dev Blog is dedicated to tanks, in the near future all the aircraft in the series will benefit from both things we'll tell you about (3-dimensional visualization of the terrain unevenness and graphics effects improvements).

...............................................................

First, though, we'd like to show you the new Tank Crew promotion trailer created by =HH=Pauk. It showcases the main features we focused on with our partner Digital Forms during the development - operations of the realistically looking and accurately modeled combat vehicles on the real terrain that were recreated according to historical documents of the Prokhorovka battle and the events immediately before and after it. Taking into account the two bundled historical campaigns, it is a massive historical reconstruction of the tank actions in that area. Here it goes:

...............................................................

 

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!

 

Is the roughness tied to the terrain texture (e.g. will fields be smoother to crashland in?)

 

Also, will this interact with the mud feature (i.e. in rainy season)?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks very impressive and I hope it sells well. I would like to hear that a Tank Crew 2 is planned :)

Any chance that Sim Shaker will be applied to Tank Crew?

Edited by DD_Crash
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent update...looking forward to having this in game.

 

Edit: Question, will the rough terrain upgrade be only on the Prokhorovka map, or all maps?

Edited by 40plus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trailer was just brilliant! I'm really happy how TC turned out and can't wait to (hopefully) hear about a second part announcement 😄

A wonderful place could be Africa btw ;);)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive! I hope the new update will reach us soon!

We need more(even user made) missions on Prokhorovka map, near the villages or inside them, to see some destructible environment and not just the vast landscape.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nic if we could land/take off Po2 from other terrain  same could  be done with Arras map which is like muddy on all terrain. 

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sweet, I love tank gameplay, especially in VR.  It gets a bit finicky when using the sites and turning around in the commander position...

im wondering though, the ‘natural movement’ looks really immersive but how will it fair for VR?  
also... I think the periscopes are amazing... I wish we could implement this to armoured glass in aircraft that we shall not speak of... (spit, 190...).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the new terrain will be favorably experienced in VR. :coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good trailer! Well done =HH=Pauk.

 

The terrain features and the new firing effects just show how skilled you guys are, not just at making planes but in general.

The entire platform is looking better and better 👍

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 40plus said:

Excellent update...looking forward to having this in game.

 

Edit: Question, will the rough terrain upgrade be only on the Prokhorovka map, or all maps?

All maps.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope terrain roughness won't come at performance cost.....really don't need that when flying (VR)!

And if it does i hope it won't be forced, rather as available ingame settings option.

 

S!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

im wondering though, the ‘natural movement’ looks really immersive
 

The natural movement seems very good, it will bring a real plus for the immersion but I express doubt, I think it is perhaps too pronounced when the crew member has their head out, especially when he looks to the right or to the left (from the front, it looks good)

The soldier should be able to absorb some of these movements via his arms (if he is standing at the edges of the turret), his neck etc. Maybe it should be a little more flexible.

But I have never ridden in a moving WWII tank and over rough terrain. So I may be saying anything.

Edited by No_Face
Precisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

A wonderful place could be Africa btw ;);)

 

West Europe as well :cool: 

 

Cant wait to Koenigstiger

 bf0a8832d435ee269b542621a7112764.gif

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

Cant wait to Koenigstiger

It would be a bombs magnet on any multiplayer server though.

  • Haha 9
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

It would be a bombs magnet on any multiplayer server though.

 

As it was in real life (tm).

 

50 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

All maps.

 

Good News!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 минут назад, Sneaksie сказал:

It would be a bombs magnet on any multiplayer server though.

The T-35 is better suited for this.

90511C6E-E75D-49E4-87E4-F50E38E2C76C.jpeg

DB44E8E5-66E1-4581-B87F-96C4DFCA713E.jpeg

Edited by =13NVO=Eeafanas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

 

West Europe as well :cool: 

 

Cant wait to Koenigstiger

 bf0a8832d435ee269b542621a7112764.gif

This would be really cool too (and I would love to drive this beast) but with an africa scenario we could get a nice africa map that could be also used for planes ;)

Edited by 6FG_Big_Al
spelling errors^^
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

Pretty sweet, I love tank gameplay, especially in VR.  It gets a bit finicky when using the sites and turning around in the commander position...

im wondering though, the ‘natural movement’ looks really immersive but how will it fair for VR?  
also... I think the periscopes are amazing... I wish we could implement this to armoured glass in aircraft that we shall not speak of... (spit, 190...).  

The pariscopes have some major drawbacks though, such as you cannot see your own vehicle through them at the moment, so I don't think having the refraction in the 190 while not being able to see your own nose would be a step forward. 

55 minutes ago, No_Face said:

The natural movement seems very good, it will bring a real plus for the immersion but I express doubt, I think it is perhaps too pronounced when the crew member has their head out, especially when he looks to the right or to the left (from the front, it looks good)

The soldier should be able to absorb some of these movements via his arms (if he is standing at the edges of the turret), his neck etc. Maybe it should be a little more flexible.

But I have never ridden in a moving WWII tank and over rough terrain. So I may be saying anything.

I have, (not over a terribly long distance mind you) and you do rock quite a bit in the hatch, but at any speed I don't think there is any true way to keep yourself really steady. Your brain is pretty good at toning down the rocking effect when processing your vision to my understanding, so perhaps that is part of why it looks so pronounced.  (You'd be amazed how much an M5 stuart bucks even on a paved parking lot when you turn or hit the brakes.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After visibility improvements (that raised the game really into a next level) and new physics (that really increased the immersion feeling) + new planes that just are the thing I was alone thinking that next step would be improving ground graphics...and what is the development team doing ...🤩  Guys you really Rock!

 

S! JLean

Edited by JLean
typo
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What should be a very cool news is the next announcement of TANK CREW 2 !!!!🤤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

The trailer was just brilliant! I'm really happy how TC turned out and can't wait to (hopefully) hear about a second part announcement 😄

A wonderful place could be Africa btw ;);)

I don't see them going for tank crew Tobruk (like Gazala/Battleaxe) or Tunesia (like Mareth Line/Kasserine Pass) since it's team fusion's territory for present and future releases, El Alamein could be an option though since it's unlikely team fusion is going to cover that since it's mostly the same aircraft from Tobruk.

 

55 minutes ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

 

West Europe as well :cool: 

 

Cant wait to Koenigstiger

 bf0a8832d435ee269b542621a7112764.gif

For Normandy they have the potential to go for the Tiger II (P) since it was the main theatre where it was used while the Tiger II (H) could appear after Normandy (Like Battle of Bulge) or eastern front 1944/1945.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always good news from Studio 777 developers when it comes in  on Fridays...BUT can anyone tell me if there is a full manual on Tank Crew....? In particular functions of crew , Ai gunners when they do your work for you 7 when they won't? Use of binocular function and how to turn them off and also issue unique firing commands with them in use? Commands...does anyone in tank or in tanks in company actually follow them? Ammo mix ...why bother? You get the idea I enjoy playing the sim but am frustrated in getting it to work efficiently under my in-expert command...

Maybe I missed the heads up from the Studio 777 Developers on either a print out manual or failing that perhaps Instructional Vid?

Thanks!

Jeb_Stuart_01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

As always good news from Studio 777 developers when it comes in  on Fridays...BUT can anyone tell me if there is a full manual on Tank Crew....? In particular functions of crew , Ai gunners when they do your work for you 7 when they won't? Use of binocular function and how to turn them off and also issue unique firing commands with them in use? Commands...does anyone in tank or in tanks in company actually follow them? Ammo mix ...why bother? You get the idea I enjoy playing the sim but am frustrated in getting it to work efficiently under my in-expert command...

Maybe I missed the heads up from the Studio 777 Developers on either a print out manual or failing that perhaps Instructional Vid?

Thanks!

Jeb_Stuart_01.jpg‘I


No not yet, but hit Esc and choose Station Notes for detailed info that helps learn the tanks. They really aren’t that hard to learn, but each station has unique attributes to learn. More sophisticated tutorials will come eventually.

 

Jason

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a usually-pure-pilot I haven't really thought much about how much I'd enjoy a tank sim, before, but the consistent updates and amount of obvious care put into Tank Crew has made it extremely tempting, and I will probably pick it up very soon

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

As a usually-pure-pilot I haven't really thought much about how much I'd enjoy a tank sim, before, but the consistent updates and amount of obvious care put into Tank Crew has made it extremely tempting, and I will probably pick it up very soon

Price a bit too steep to buy as an experiment for me, but definitely when it goes on sale eventually. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope that this means that aircraft like the U2 will be more able to safely take off and land off of airfields. 

Edited by migmadmarine
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:


No not yet, but hit Esc and choose Station Notes for detailed info that helps learn the tanks. They really aren’t that hard to learn, but each station has unique attributes to learn. More sophisticated tutorials will come eventually.

 

Jason

Thanks Jason - will give Esc a try & hope for a manual readme in the near ( i hope) future...

5031af96eb77db5246afd65600de0172-1200x0-c-default.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice these terrain deformations.
Seen from the plane there may be a little more feeling of relief.

We can clearly see the depression of the passage of the caterpillars, we can hope that one day the bombs will leave a hole where they explode ??
🤩With these effects I really can't wait to be able to cross the bocage in a Sherman !!!🤩

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

=HH=Pauk has made some amazing aircraft vids but I really feel like the Tank Crew vids (incl by another guy) are missing a certain atmosphere that would pull in more interest (including mine). Honestly they seem too gamey. A certain "other sim" makes trailers that make you want to engage in the game at a core emotional level. Not getting that with these TC vids unfortunately. But the technical improvements are looking good and it's great to see the details still being improved. I hope one day the emotional balance will teter in favour of a purchase.

 

Just an honest opinion/thinking out loud.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, -IRRE-Axurit said:

Very nice these terrain deformations.
Seen from the plane there may be a little more feeling of relief.

We can clearly see the depression of the passage of the caterpillars, we can hope that one day the bombs will leave a hole where they explode ??
🤩With these effects I really can't wait to be able to cross the bocage in a Sherman !!!🤩

They don't even have to leave a hole.  The Bomb decal, as discussed in another thread, could simply have a hit box like an object, stopping planes, trains and automobiles alike.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

It would be a bombs magnet on any multiplayer server though.

 

Yes. But the most beautifull target 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...