Han

Developer Diary 266 - Discussion

Just now, Han said:
Dear friends,

As you know, the long-awaited Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka was released officially recently. This is a very important milestone in the development of the IL-2 Great Battles series even if it has deviated from the aviation theme a bit. However, those of you who read our Dev Blog regularly know that the tank project development contributed to the aircraft features immensely. And while today's Dev Blog is dedicated to tanks, in the near future all the aircraft in the series will benefit from both things we'll tell you about (3-dimensional visualization of the terrain unevenness and graphics effects improvements).

First, though, we'd like to show you the new Tank Crew promotion trailer created by =HH=Pauk. It showcases the main features we focused on with our partner Digital Forms during the development - operations of the realistically looking and accurately modeled combat vehicles on the real terrain that were recreated according to historical documents of the Prokhorovka battle and the events immediately before and after it. Taking into account the two bundled historical campaigns, it is a massive historical reconstruction of the tank actions in that area. Here it goes:

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 2

Wow!

Is the roughness tied to the terrain texture (e.g. will fields be smoother to crashland in?)

Also, will this interact with the mud feature (i.e. in rainy season)?

• Like 1

Looks very impressive and I hope it sells well. I would like to hear that a Tank Crew 2 is planned :)

Any chance that Sim Shaker will be applied to Tank Crew?

Edited by DD_Crash
  • Upvote 2

Excellent update...looking forward to having this in game.

Edit: Question, will the rough terrain upgrade be only on the Prokhorovka map, or all maps?

Edited by 40plus

The trailer was just brilliant! I'm really happy how TC turned out and can't wait to (hopefully) hear about a second part announcement 😄

A wonderful place could be Africa btw ;);)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Impressive! I hope the new update will reach us soon!

We need more(even user made) missions on Prokhorovka map, near the villages or inside them, to see some destructible environment and not just the vast landscape.

Would be nic if we could land/take off Po2 from other terrain  same could  be done with Arras map which is like muddy on all terrain. 

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

Pretty sweet, I love tank gameplay, especially in VR.  It gets a bit finicky when using the sites and turning around in the commander position...

im wondering though, the ‘natural movement’ looks really immersive but how will it fair for VR?  
also... I think the periscopes are amazing... I wish we could implement this to armoured glass in aircraft that we shall not speak of... (spit, 190...).  

I suspect the new terrain will be favorably experienced in VR. :coffee:

Really good trailer! Well done =HH=Pauk.

The terrain features and the new firing effects just show how skilled you guys are, not just at making planes but in general.

The entire platform is looking better and better 👍

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 40plus said:

Excellent update...looking forward to having this in game.

Edit: Question, will the rough terrain upgrade be only on the Prokhorovka map, or all maps?

All maps.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 7

I hope terrain roughness won't come at performance cost.....really don't need that when flying (VR)!

And if it does i hope it won't be forced, rather as available ingame settings option.

S!

39 minutes ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

im wondering though, the ‘natural movement’ looks really immersive

The natural movement seems very good, it will bring a real plus for the immersion but I express doubt, I think it is perhaps too pronounced when the crew member has their head out, especially when he looks to the right or to the left (from the front, it looks good)

The soldier should be able to absorb some of these movements via his arms (if he is standing at the edges of the turret), his neck etc. Maybe it should be a little more flexible.

But I have never ridden in a moving WWII tank and over rough terrain. So I may be saying anything.

Edited by No_Face
Precisions.

1 hour ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

West Europe as well :cool: 

Cant wait to Koenigstiger

bf0a8832d435ee269b542621a7112764.gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

It would be a bombs magnet on any multiplayer server though.

• Haha 9
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

As it was in real life (tm).

50 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

All maps.

Good News!

16 минут назад, Sneaksie сказал:

The T-35 is better suited for this.

90511C6E-E75D-49E4-87E4-F50E38E2C76C.jpeg

DB44E8E5-66E1-4581-B87F-96C4DFCA713E.jpeg

Edited by =13NVO=Eeafanas

24 minutes ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

This would be really cool too (and I would love to drive this beast) but with an africa scenario we could get a nice africa map that could be also used for planes ;)

Edited by 6FG_Big_Al
spelling errors^^
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

Pretty sweet, I love tank gameplay, especially in VR.  It gets a bit finicky when using the sites and turning around in the commander position...

im wondering though, the ‘natural movement’ looks really immersive but how will it fair for VR?  
also... I think the periscopes are amazing... I wish we could implement this to armoured glass in aircraft that we shall not speak of... (spit, 190...).  

The pariscopes have some major drawbacks though, such as you cannot see your own vehicle through them at the moment, so I don't think having the refraction in the 190 while not being able to see your own nose would be a step forward. 

55 minutes ago, No_Face said:

The natural movement seems very good, it will bring a real plus for the immersion but I express doubt, I think it is perhaps too pronounced when the crew member has their head out, especially when he looks to the right or to the left (from the front, it looks good)

The soldier should be able to absorb some of these movements via his arms (if he is standing at the edges of the turret), his neck etc. Maybe it should be a little more flexible.

But I have never ridden in a moving WWII tank and over rough terrain. So I may be saying anything.

I have, (not over a terribly long distance mind you) and you do rock quite a bit in the hatch, but at any speed I don't think there is any true way to keep yourself really steady. Your brain is pretty good at toning down the rocking effect when processing your vision to my understanding, so perhaps that is part of why it looks so pronounced.  (You'd be amazed how much an M5 stuart bucks even on a paved parking lot when you turn or hit the brakes.)

• Thanks 1

After visibility improvements (that raised the game really into a next level) and new physics (that really increased the immersion feeling) + new planes that just are the thing I was alone thinking that next step would be improving ground graphics...and what is the development team doing ...🤩  Guys you really Rock!

S! JLean

Edited by JLean
typo
  • Upvote 1

What should be a very cool news is the next announcement of TANK CREW 2 !!!!🤤

2 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

The trailer was just brilliant! I'm really happy how TC turned out and can't wait to (hopefully) hear about a second part announcement 😄

I don't see them going for tank crew Tobruk (like Gazala/Battleaxe) or Tunesia (like Mareth Line/Kasserine Pass) since it's team fusion's territory for present and future releases, El Alamein could be an option though since it's unlikely team fusion is going to cover that since it's mostly the same aircraft from Tobruk.

55 minutes ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

For Normandy they have the potential to go for the Tiger II (P) since it was the main theatre where it was used while the Tiger II (H) could appear after Normandy (Like Battle of Bulge) or eastern front 1944/1945.

As always good news from Studio 777 developers when it comes in  on Fridays...BUT can anyone tell me if there is a full manual on Tank Crew....? In particular functions of crew , Ai gunners when they do your work for you 7 when they won't? Use of binocular function and how to turn them off and also issue unique firing commands with them in use? Commands...does anyone in tank or in tanks in company actually follow them? Ammo mix ...why bother? You get the idea I enjoy playing the sim but am frustrated in getting it to work efficiently under my in-expert command...

Maybe I missed the heads up from the Studio 777 Developers on either a print out manual or failing that perhaps Instructional Vid?

Thanks!

Jeb_Stuart_01.jpg

5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

As always good news from Studio 777 developers when it comes in  on Fridays...BUT can anyone tell me if there is a full manual on Tank Crew....? In particular functions of crew , Ai gunners when they do your work for you 7 when they won't? Use of binocular function and how to turn them off and also issue unique firing commands with them in use? Commands...does anyone in tank or in tanks in company actually follow them? Ammo mix ...why bother? You get the idea I enjoy playing the sim but am frustrated in getting it to work efficiently under my in-expert command...

Maybe I missed the heads up from the Studio 777 Developers on either a print out manual or failing that perhaps Instructional Vid?

Thanks!

Jeb_Stuart_01.jpg‘I

No not yet, but hit Esc and choose Station Notes for detailed info that helps learn the tanks. They really aren’t that hard to learn, but each station has unique attributes to learn. More sophisticated tutorials will come eventually.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 6

As a usually-pure-pilot I haven't really thought much about how much I'd enjoy a tank sim, before, but the consistent updates and amount of obvious care put into Tank Crew has made it extremely tempting, and I will probably pick it up very soon

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

As a usually-pure-pilot I haven't really thought much about how much I'd enjoy a tank sim, before, but the consistent updates and amount of obvious care put into Tank Crew has made it extremely tempting, and I will probably pick it up very soon

Price a bit too steep to buy as an experiment for me, but definitely when it goes on sale eventually. 

• Upvote 1

I do hope that this means that aircraft like the U2 will be more able to safely take off and land off of airfields. 

Edited by migmadmarine
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

No not yet, but hit Esc and choose Station Notes for detailed info that helps learn the tanks. They really aren’t that hard to learn, but each station has unique attributes to learn. More sophisticated tutorials will come eventually.

Jason

Thanks Jason - will give Esc a try & hope for a manual readme in the near ( i hope) future...

5031af96eb77db5246afd65600de0172-1200x0-c-default.jpg

• Haha 1

Very nice these terrain deformations.
Seen from the plane there may be a little more feeling of relief.

We can clearly see the depression of the passage of the caterpillars, we can hope that one day the bombs will leave a hole where they explode ??
🤩With these effects I really can't wait to be able to cross the bocage in a Sherman !!!🤩

• Upvote 2

=HH=Pauk has made some amazing aircraft vids but I really feel like the Tank Crew vids (incl by another guy) are missing a certain atmosphere that would pull in more interest (including mine). Honestly they seem too gamey. A certain "other sim" makes trailers that make you want to engage in the game at a core emotional level. Not getting that with these TC vids unfortunately. But the technical improvements are looking good and it's great to see the details still being improved. I hope one day the emotional balance will teter in favour of a purchase.

Just an honest opinion/thinking out loud.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -IRRE-Axurit said:

Very nice these terrain deformations.
Seen from the plane there may be a little more feeling of relief.

We can clearly see the depression of the passage of the caterpillars, we can hope that one day the bombs will leave a hole where they explode ??
🤩With these effects I really can't wait to be able to cross the bocage in a Sherman !!!🤩

They don't even have to leave a hole.  The Bomb decal, as discussed in another thread, could simply have a hit box like an object, stopping planes, trains and automobiles alike.

3 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

Yes. But the most beautifull target 😁