Sign in to follow this  
hq_Jorri

Fokker parasol photos

While the Fokker D.VII was a big inspiration for many biplanes designed in the US during the interbellum, perhaps they didn't think much of the D.VIII. They certainly took a good look at it. You can see one here being tested at Wright Field in US markings.

The story was different overseas, where the welded fuselage and parasol cantilever wing from the D.VIII was the basis for a range of commercial passenger planes from Fokker which ruled the market in the 1920's. They didn't have as much capacity, but they were reliable and rugged and they matched the demand there was for passenger and mail flights better than some of the competition. Fokker's designs won contests, pioneered routes and performed perilous expeditions.

Below you see an example: a Fokker F.III, which became available in 1921. It has a modified wing that sits above the fuselage rather than directly on top of the cabin, an experiment to see if it would gain a higher speed (which it didn't). The cantilever wing was strong enough to do away with all additional supports. The pilot sits next to the engine, a Rolls Royce Eagle VIII in this case: this saved space, but made it very uncomfortable for the pilots, who in their own words, were freezing on one side and getting burnt on the other. The photo's annotation says 'Vliegkamp Schiphol', which indicates that it was taken when Schiphol was still mainly used as a military airfield in the early 20's.

I'm sharing these photos because I finally managed to make a good scan of them. The first one I own a negative of (not the original, clearly it's a copy). The photo exists elsewhere on the web, but with dreadful quality, and here you can see all the details that the negative carries. The second photo I own as a glass positive, probably for use with a magic lantern, and I haven't seen it elsewhere on the web at all. It's a remarkable object, crisp and clear. I've collected more items related to Fokker and early aviation, if you folks like it I can share more below as well.

img007b.jpg

img004b.jpg

Edited by hq_Jorri
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good stuff. I wouldn't object if you wanted to share more.

• Upvote 3