The old baby still has it

sevenless

Man if only we could do this in the Great Battles series. Maybe in the next engine incarnation some years in the future. Until then the old baby still rocks...

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
NO.20_Krispy_Duck

The best bargain in a simulator today is IL2 1946 when you consider that the basic game is now very inexpensive, and there are so many quality, free mods.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
planesyplanesy

Totally agree

1946 is still an incredible game for its age and it has two vital ingredient's.....easy mission building and playability. 

I actually play this more than anything else at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
=AW=drewm3i-VR

In many ways, this looks more real than GB...the tracers are amazing and the damage effects so fluid.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

In my view, no simulator has yet matched the sheer scope of WW2 flying like modded IL2-1946. Between the solid foundation of the game, and the very talented modders, you can fly in just about any setting and capacity. It's everything from Poland in 1939 to experimental "what if" scenarios in 1946. There are even other settings far outside WW2 available to people who want to take it further.

Fishyyy's videos and multicrew activities are great. I found his BF110 nightfighter multicrew with radar very interesting, for example.

• Upvote 1

=AW=drewm3i-VR
On 3/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, NO.20_Krispy_Duck said:

In my view, no simulator has yet matched the sheer scope of WW2 flying like modded IL2-1946. Between the solid foundation of the game, and the very talented modders, you can fly in just about any setting and capacity. It's everything from Poland in 1939 to experimental "what if" scenarios in 1946. There are even other settings far outside WW2 available to people who want to take it further.

Fishyyy's videos and multicrew activities are great. I found his BF110 nightfighter multicrew with radar very interesting, for example.

I know, the formations in IL-2 1946 are still the closest thing to reality yet. I love GB and CLoD too (which is great but limited and still bugged in some ways), but GB should really be called IL-2: Small Skirmishes compared to 1946. Oleg is still the master of WW2 flight sim design.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Mysticpuma
Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2021 at 11:33 AM, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

In many ways, this looks more real than GB...the tracers are amazing and the damage effects so fluid.

I don't think any Simulator since 1946 has matched the smoke effects seen in this video. BoX is cartoonish as hell and CloD is stripped back to the bare bones to make sure the particle limit isn't hit. 

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

That mock guncam footage is really well-done and has that period feel to it. Neat stuff.

sevenless
Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2021 at 12:33 PM, =AW=drewm3i-VR said:

Yep. The similarities to original footage are astounding.

1944 GERMAN GUN CAMERA FILMS FW-190 vs. B-17s, B-24s WWII AIR RAIDS OVER GERMANY 29794 - YouTube

LUFTWAFFE FW-190 and BF-110 FIGHTER KILLS GUN CAMERA FILMS 1944 43724 - YouTube

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

Spinnetti
Posted (edited)

Video - you didn't suffer from a "coolant leak".. The FW190 is air-cooled lol.. Maybe an oil or fuel leak...

Edited by Spinnetti

BB5000

I can recommend Poltava's Campaigns for IL2 46 / BAT. Night fighters, artillery spotting and more.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2021 at 2:00 AM, Spinnetti said:

Video - you didn't suffer from a "coolant leak".. The FW190 is air-cooled lol.. Maybe an oil or fuel leak...

heh reminds me of work (airplane mechanic) hear those types of quips from pilots all the time

Edited by Esel_kong
cant spell
  • Upvote 1

Reggie_Mental
Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, zan64 said:

heh reminds me of work (airplane mechanic) hear those types of quips from pilots all the time

Reminds me of the fault report from an airline pilot submitted: 'Autoland very rough and imprecise on this aircraft'

Maintenance Engineer replied 'Autoland not installed on this aircraft'

😲🙄

Edited by Reggie_Mental

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
sammydee

Yes I've just recently come back to it. With the Batmod the range of gameplay is staggering.👌

• 2 weeks later...
Mysticpuma

I remember in 2007 creating this using mostly IL2 and the inside B17 footage from a modded Call of Duty 2.

• Like 1

Missionbug

That is quite a story Mysticpuma, I cannot believe I have only seen it today.:cool:

Just imagine what you could do if the old game had the graphics of a modern title, you would be spoiled for choice as to what to make a film about considering the vast amount of types available today in the modded version.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 2

343KKT_Kintaro
23 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

I remember in 2007 creating this using mostly IL2 and the inside B17 footage from a modded Call of Duty 2.

Hey Puma, I completely forgot that was you! And I spent years looking for one link showing this video! Now I have it!

Here in France I was one of the first to watch this video, at release, back in 2007. I adore it, it's a gem. Congrats mate.

Do you have more videos of this kind (same game, same period)?

Mysticpuma

I did have a few but have no idea where they are now. 

There was obviously "Faith, Hope and Charity" that a group of us created detailing the defence of Malta. Quite ambitious for the time. 

One of the guys I used to hang around with "Scragbat" (sadly no longer with us) created a couple of nice videos back then. 

For some of the classic videos like Requiem and The Messenger, check this YouTube channel :)

(sort videos by oldest first) 

https://youtube.com/user/flightsimmachinima

I'll see if I can find any of my other old ones but sadly I think they have been lost on old hard drives :(

Edited by Mysticpuma

343KKT_Kintaro

Thank you Puma!

I already recently rewatched "Faith, Hope and Charity", it's a classic now (didn't know you were involved in).

Thank you as I rewatched Retribution after I lost sight on this beautiful video for all of these past years. I don't know if I ever saw "Sacrifice" before today... possibly I've never watched this video before you posted it here. Thank you for the channel too, I knew it because of Faith, Hope and Charity". I'll have a look at it when I'll have more time. Cheerio!

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, Mysticpuma said:

Hi Mysticpuma, Im currently making a short cinematic about this event with IL-2 Great Battles (minus the B-17's). Ive got the basic details from this website, http://www.century-of-flight.freeola.com/Aviation history/WW2/aces/Robert S.Johnson.htm but according to you and others, Johnson's account from his book is exaggerated. I think what really happened is that he was bounced rather than a grand dogfight? Do you have any further details on this so I can be as accurate as possible, such as time of P-47's take off, if it was Meyer, etc. Thanks a lot.

P.S. I was just a kid when your videos came out and they served as great inspiration for my own cinematic videos :)

On 11/20/2020 at 2:22 AM, sevenless said:

Man if only we could do this in the Great Battles series. Maybe in the next engine incarnation some years in the future. Until then the old baby still rocks...

Honestly, the devs should compromise and just make a simplified FM for heavy bombers so they can at least be present in the game. Its such a big part of the air war over Europe to leave out

pocketshaver

Simple is good, but theyll never pass up 4k skins

Although it would be fun to find a download for 1946 somewhere and get a comparison done

Mysticpuma
7 hours ago, Lemsip said:

Hi Mysticpuma, Im currently making a short cinematic about this event with IL-2 Great Battles (minus the B-17's). Ive got the basic details from this website, http://www.century-of-flight.freeola.com/Aviation history/WW2/aces/Robert S.Johnson.htm but according to you and others, Johnson's account from his book is exaggerated. I think what really happened is that he was bounced rather than a grand dogfight? Do you have any further details on this so I can be as accurate as possible, such as time of P-47's take off, if it was Meyer, etc. Thanks a lot.

P.S. I was just a kid when your videos came out and they served as great inspiration for my own cinematic videos :)

Honestly, the devs should compromise and just make a simplified FM for heavy bombers so they can at least be present in the game. Its such a big part of the air war over Europe to leave out

Lemsip, genuinely I would love to help you out with your research, but this was created in 2005-2006 and released 2007. I went of information I was given 14-years-ago and many hard drives have died since then :(

I am sure Johnson's account was exaggerated but maybe the 56th Fighter Group FB page could help?

https://www.facebook.com/56th-Fighter-Group-101178276266

I know I extensively researched the entire 384th to make sure the serials and lettering were correct on every B-17....that took an absolute age. There were many suggestions it was Meyer and others saying it wasn't. I could only go with what I had at the time and I was pretty sure it was Meyer from what I found out.

Regarding the take off for the P47's, I am sure an email to Buzz Took or Richie Pymar at the Halesworth and Holton Museum would give you that information, they were really helpful with me.

http://www.halesworthairfieldmuseum.co.uk/photos.htm

Hope that helps?

Cheers, Mysticpuma

2 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Lemsip, genuinely I would love to help you out with your research, but this was created in 2005-2006 and released 2007. I went of information I was given 14-years-ago and many hard drives have died since then :(

I am sure Johnson's account was exaggerated but maybe the 56th Fighter Group FB page could help?

https://www.facebook.com/56th-Fighter-Group-101178276266

I know I extensively researched the entire 384th to make sure the serials and lettering were correct on every B-17....that took an absolute age. There were many suggestions it was Meyer and others saying it wasn't. I could only go with what I had at the time and I was pretty sure it was Meyer from what I found out.

Regarding the take off for the P47's, I am sure an email to Buzz Took or Richie Pymar at the Halesworth and Holton Museum would give you that information, they were really helpful with me.

http://www.halesworthairfieldmuseum.co.uk/photos.htm

Hope that helps?

Cheers, Mysticpuma

No problem Mysticpuma, Ill check those out. Thanks again for the help. Ill let you know when Ive finished.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:31 AM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Hey Puma, I completely forgot that was you! And I spent years looking for one link showing this video! Now I have it!

Here in France I was one of the first to watch this video, at release, back in 2007. I adore it, it's a gem. Congrats mate.

Do you have more videos of this kind (same game, same period)?

Found another one from a long way back. 

Certainly not perfect and probably 5 mins too long. I can't tell you how long the last collision shot took, must have been at least 8-hours without killing the pilot!