Han

Developer Diary 265 - Discussion

2 minutes ago, Han said:
Dear Friends,

We know that the Battle of Normandy pre-order customers are eagerly waiting for its planes to arrive. It's understandable, but in spite of our team keeping the development rate at a very high level, creating an aircraft with the fidelity worthy of our simulation from scratch is very time consuming and labor intensive. The main bulk of the Normandy planes list will arrive next year. However, some of the planes that are based on the previous ones will arrive sooner.

We have already released the P-47D-22 'Razorback' and as soon as next week another one will arrive - the German Bf 109 G-6 Late fighter with an enlarged tail and additional modifications which are characteristic for the year 1944.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 2

Excellent work! Many thanks. 🍻

Great looking aircraft but can you please explain exactly what is different compared to the G-14 we already have?
From this DD, all I can tell is that it's essentially the exact same plane.

BlackHellHound1

Really a great Thanks for your work !!!

The 9th 109.

I guess there is some... harmony to that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The A/S Mod for the BF109 G6 and G14 would be cool 

Edited by MrFies
  • Upvote 8

Just to nit-pick; should not increased weight and hence poorer wing loading (the wing design remaining constant) offset against increased power improve the turn rate rather than radius?

My understanding, quite possibly flawed, was that the later marks of the 109, Spitfire and similar could not necessarily achieve a small circle but tended to have the spare power available to maintain speed while cornering, so that their Vm was higher but they retained energy to a  better degree.

Edited by EAF19_Marsh

11 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

The 9th 109.

I guess there is some... harmony to that. 

If you dont have atleast 10 109s in game you cant be considered serious ww2 air game :)  so still work to be done to get one more, G10 maybe 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 3

Phrasing it as additional modifications makes it interesting. Feels like this 109 might be very mix-and-match for parts, and could represent quite a few different stages of this aircraft's production

26 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

Great looking aircraft but can you please explain exactly what is different compared to the G-14 we already have?

As a close examination of the screenshots shows, the Erla Hood and MW-50 are optional modifications. So, you can end up mixing and matching quite a few different items with this one.

6 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Feels like this 109 might be very mix-and-match for parts, and could represent quite a few different stages of this aircraft's production

Exactly

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LukeFF said:

As a close examination of the screenshots shows, the Erla Hood and MW-50 are optional modifications. So, you can end up mixing and matching quite a few different items with this one.

I mean, the Erlaa Haube is obvious, but how can you discern whether MW-50 is used?

Also, an AS variant would have been much appreciated, perhaps like the 150 octane fuel it will come at a later date?

2 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

I mean, the Erlaa Haube is obvious, but how can you discern whether MW-50 is used?

If you look closely at the right-hand side of the fuselage, you'll see an MW 50 fuel triangle. Same thing is done with the K-4 and its C-3 modification.

26 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

BlackHellHound1

Aerodynamics maybe?. also I believe this was the one that was used as the Bf-109G-6/N for Wild Sau missions. So, for skinners like me it's great! I think the G-14 was also more powerful and plus it just adds to the historical immersion of the game.

20 minutes ago, CountZero said:

If you dont have atleast 10 109s in game you cant be considered serious ww2 air game :)  so still work to be done to get one more, G10 maybe 

I want also Bf109C, D, E1, E3, E4  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Already next week? Great! Also great to have that available in BoBP careers eventually. However a bit sad that the G6/AS and G14/AS didn´t make it in the game yet. Maybe as a future collector?

109_0.jpg.5041c70481ef77cb34212e0c81232472.jpg

• Upvote 3

Once released, I think Normandy will be the first module of this game that a new user will buy😃😃.

Keep it up devs. You’re awesome.

Edited by Enceladus

12 minutes ago, VA_SOLIDKREATE said:

Aerodynamics maybe?. also I believe this was the one that was used as the Bf-109G-6/N for Wild Sau missions. So, for skinners like me it's great! I think the G-14 was also more powerful and plus it just adds to the historical immersion of the game.

Same engine output, basically same plane aside from mods. I would even risk and say that they will perform really similar, apparently there's only a 3km/h difference.

Edited by SCG_Gustav_Hagel

Already next week?!?!?!? You're mindblowing guys 😄 And I'm really happy to see the Erla-Haube as option as well as the MW-50.

41 minutes ago, CountZero said:

If you dont have atleast 10 109s in game you cant be considered serious ww2 air game 

Ok... so now I want at least 10 different Spitfires. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

Phrasing it as additional modifications makes it interesting. Feels like this 109 might be very mix-and-match for parts, and could represent quite a few different stages of this aircraft's production

One of them late G6 planes they missed or that hood/tail combo hasn´t been shown/mentioned yet. Mietusch of III./JG 26 at Villacoublay 1944: 

Mietusch.jpg

44 minutes ago, CountZero said:

Same as with Yaks. You never can have enough of them

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Just to nit-pick; should not increased weight and hence poorer wing loading (the wing design remaining constant) offset against increased power improve the turn rate rather than radius?

My understanding, quite possibly flawed, was that the later marks of the 109, Spitfire and similar could not necessarily achieve a small circle but tended to have the spare power available to maintain speed while cornering, so that their Vm was higher but they retained energy to a  better degree.

In some ways it is more a question of how long one can sustain the turn (sustained turn rate rather than instantaneous).

My understanding is that low wing loading generally makes it easier to generate a lot of lift in a turn. However, one can also generate lift in a turn by having a higher angle-of-attack (basically pulling back on the stick harder so the air hits the wing at a steeper angle). The downside of this approach is that it produces even more drag... so it requires a greater power-to-weight ratio.

There are also limits to increasing angle-of-attack as a high angle of attack will lead to the wing stalling... but theoretically a big plane with lots of momentum and with lots of engine power should be able to maintain a high angle of attack longer.

Thanks Devs!

... even if I cannot deny that the G6 AS variant, at least from a visual point of view, would not have disfigured for sure ...

Will it be for the next expansion, perhaps together with the 109 G10, Macchi 205, fiat G55 and BOItaly?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, nervenklau said:

what’s difference between this G6 late and G14? 

It basically comes down to MW 50. Without it, it is still a G6. A G6 with MW 50 is basically a G14. In detail it is a bit more complicated because a lot of G6 were retrofitted with everything necessary to be a full G14. See here for a rough description by Prien/Rodeicke:

image.png.a647b14c0e2b21f496d59d1c5fae7de3.pngimage.png.e78ea8f76a8c222e23dc5370261441c3.png

and by Wotowski:

image.thumb.png.d1c7a940fa8d43981e627533c41935ff.png

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sevenless said:

One of them late G6 planes they missed or that hood/tail combo hasn´t been shown/mentioned yet. Mietusch of III./JG 26 at Villacoublay 1944

That is the combo I've been hoping for as it was the most common one among the Finnish G-6s, including the only two surviving Messerschmitts in Finland:

Spoiler

MT-452_4.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=65f034b176f60352f0140fb9718c704cMesserschmitt_Bf_109_G-6_%28MT-507%29_Keski-Suomen_ilmailumuseo_2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Glad to see the G6 with most of it’s historic options added, looking forward to it.

Very disappointing to see no mention still of G6/AS or G14/AS.

• Like 1

I’ve said it before and I will say it again: I will take any variant of any plane that the devs are willing to model. The historical airframe progression is one of my favorite aspects of this sim.

• Upvote 8

Yes, next week! That is great news! The more 109"s the better.

The AS versions would be a really great add-on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CountZero said:

Personally, I'm waiting for the 109-G7A9+ with the increased rear tire pressure and different coloured paint on the rudder pedals. ;)

• Haha 10

2 minutes ago, cardboard_killer said:

I'm very bored with Bf-109 variants. Not bored enough not to buy them, but close.

One thing to keep in mind though is that not every customer starts off buying every package in the series. It would be a tough sell for somebody just starting out with only the Battle of Normandy to buy a WW2 flight sim that doesn't include any variant of such an iconic aircraft.

On a purely personal note. I love all of these aircraft and really enjoy having so many variants (spitfire, Mustang, Yak, 109 - They're all cool to fly and it's a great combination of learning their idiosyncrasies along with the history of their devlopment that I find enjoyable. So, whatever planes they produce, I look forward to flying them.

• Upvote 11

4 minutes ago, Audgisil said:

One thing to keep in mind though is that not every customer starts off buying every package in the series. It would be a tough sell for somebody just starting out with only the Battle of Normandy to buy a WW2 flight sim that doesn't include any variant of such an iconic aircraft.

True, but Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow have two 109s apiece (standard version) and can be bought for about $10 each when on sale, which is a freaking amazing deal when you think of it. I can't imagine anyone would have just BoN when other modules are available with 6 excellent planes and nice maps for the price of an espresso and a chocolate muffin.

In any case, I don't mean to argue with you. Just curious why, if developer man hours are limited, why some highly desirable planes go unmade while others see their 9th iteration.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Just curious why, if developer man hours are limited, why some highly desirable planes go unmade while others see their 9th iteration.

It's much easier to develop another 109. You don't have to start from scratch when similar variants already exist.

I think it's reasonable that each product has a mix of unique or "desirable" aircraft and unexceptional types that are numerically important or just less costly to develop. This approach is probably safer for long-term growth of the series.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

In any case, I don't mean to argue with you. Just curious why, if developer man hours are limited, why some highly desirable planes go unmade while others see their 9th iteration.

I feel like I see where you are coming from, but...

The 109 was the Luftwaffe's main stay fighter throughout the whole war. Choosing it as a fighter plane (along with any FW-190 iteration) simply is the most reasonable thing to do.

If you combine this with what Audgisil said, namely that you basically can't sell a module without such an iconic plane to players who are new to the franchise, the developers' margin of choice gets even more limited.

Even though my nickname might convey something else, I only rarely fly for the Lufties. And when I do, I try to avoid flying the Bf-109. I simply don't like this plane too much (even though I feel it's superior to the FW family in our sim). Still, I'm looking forward to the upcoming release. And to take it even farther, I still hope that we'll be getting a G-10 someday, my favorite version of one of my least favorite fighters of WW2.

Anyway, a big thank you to the devs once more. You always deliver, come hell and high water.

Edited by Fritz_X
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

True, but Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow have two 109s apiece (standard version) and can be bought for about $10 each when on sale, which is a freaking amazing deal when you think of it. I can't imagine anyone would have just BoN when other modules are available with 6 excellent planes and nice maps for the price of an espresso and a chocolate muffin.

Germany only seriously produced two lines of single-engined fighters, you are going to see their variants turn up again and again because there are few competitive and as-relevant alternatives for the Western Front. What would you replace it with that's relevant to this battle?

• Upvote 5