[TLC]60FtofBridge

What is the state of tank crew as a game?

I have been keenly interested in tank crew but I have some concerns:

-How much is there to do? How complete are the campaigns?

-How realistic is the games ballistic system? Does the game model slope effects and not just LOS thickness? Cast vs RHA? Armor hardness? Capped vs uncapped shells? Face hardening? Etc.

-Testing in quick battles with the tanks you get from base il2, it seems possible to zoom to whatever level I want just like in the planes. Is this how it is in full tank crew or are tanks limited to binoculars and their realistic periscopes/sights and associated zooms?

-In general, how detailed and realistic are the nuances of different tanks? Do Sherman's have stabilizer? Are different tank steering systems modeled, such as clutch braking vs regenerative steering etc?

-How good is the tank ai? Someone I know who owns the game said the last time they played tanks could spot people through trees or bushes. Is this still true (or was it ever etc).

-How finished is it in general?

Edited by [TLC]60FtofBridge
  • Haha 1

Hello from an old tanker,

the game is excellent from the detailing of the tanks. Which would be good if, depending on the weather, the chain tracks in the ground and the dirt and dust on the vehicle were more realistic.
Regarding point 2 of the list: in contrast to today's tanks, observation - especially by the commander - could only be carried out visually and with binoculars or a telescopic sight. It is known that, for example, one perceives a flash of a muzzle flash with the eye - even from the corner of the eye - even if one looks elsewhere. The current zoom to focus is good and sufficient. Only with the appearance of the Leopard 2 in 1979 did this change, so that the commander could observe more through his periscope and override the gunner with target assignment.

What bothers me in particular is that you have no way of assigning your own troops and enemy troops a certain quality level of training and deployment. It struck me that, for example, the Russian tanks always hit the first shot and watch them closely - although they almost always drive around with the hatch closed and especially drove back then.
The new command options are already good and have to be improved for use. It should also be ensured that avoiding armored legs in front of the enemy do not simply turn around and drive away, but first drive backwards in combat - to the next cover and with the cannon forwards - and only then continue to move forward under cover.
Furthermore, an order to the crew and the platoon would be desirable, with which the order "clear to battle" can be given, by means of which, for example, the gunner sets his sights at 1000 m or 800 m target distance. Another desirable command would be "Tower at 12 o'clock" - with the cannon then also being straightened, without raising it. I will comment on the other points later.
I can only advise the developers to read the book "Tiger im Schlamm" by Otto Carius - it is very technical and factual and also very objective in relation to the enemies of the time.

Good luck

Guenther 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, [TLC]60FtofBridge said:

I have been keenly interested in tank crew but I have some concerns:

-How much is there to do? How complete are the campaigns?

-How realistic is the games ballistic system? Does the game model slope effects and not just LOS thickness? Cast vs RHA? Armor hardness? Capped vs uncapped shells? Face hardening? Etc.

-Testing in quick battles with the tanks you get from base il2, it seems possible to zoom to whatever level I want just like in the planes. Is this how it is in full tank crew or are tanks limited to binoculars and their realistic periscopes/sights and associated zooms?

-In general, how detailed and realistic are the nuances of different tanks? Do Sherman's have stabilizer? Are different tank steering systems modeled, such as clutch braking vs regenerative steering etc?

-How good is the tank ai? Someone I know who owns the game said the last time they played tanks could spot people through trees or bushes. Is this still true (or was it ever etc).

-How finished is it in general?

Since you already own a number of the GB series modules and if you enjoy those, then I would say it might be worth it for you but there are issues.

You might want to check out the Panther damage model thread to get an idea about some of the issues with the ballistics model. For example, the SU122 can knock a Panther/Ferdinand out frontally at 1400 m as many times as you want to test it.

But the models themselves are decent and most of what is modeled works with a few exceptions, The drivers visor in the PzIII is not complete and neutral steering in the Tiger isn't modeled at all, and the Commanders cupola in the Sherman needs a work over to give just a few quick examples.

In terms of tank movement, I have yet to see a better representation then what you will get in Tank Crew.

And while it is still listed as Early Access on the stores webpage, the latest patch notes state that the product is finished in terms of expected features.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Theres not much to do yet except driving around. Quick missions are very simple pretty much duels or just a shooting range. Multiplayer, well there is not a multiplayer mode for tank crew only ariplane modes changed to be playbale with tanks, which is not very good (spawn camping, weird flag capping). Offical campaigns and missions are fine but the AI makes them bad. There is quite a few comunity made missions and campaigns which can be good and bad (getting killed by AT canon spawning out of nowhere), the main problem is again the AI.

Balisitc system is quite good. But the zoom makes it feel weird ( shooting at traget 1000m away but it feels like the target is 400 m away). Armor system is probably simple LOS thickenss RHA (sometimes work sometimes doesnt). Shells, APHE is op,  Solid AP/APCR mostly fly through the tank and do nothing (excpet for German tanks from side they just explode instantly). HEAT you just dont use it in any tank except su 122 but it seems to work simalary to APHE. HE idk didnt use it much.

Sherman doesnt have stabilizer ( idk for sure ) but most of the tanks feels stabilized if you are going slow and espicially on the road. Steering feels different on the sherman, ferdinad but idk much about sterring of the tanks. 

Tank AI is horibble. AI has a laser rangefinder no matter what the dificullty is (itll will hit you on great distances first shot most of the times, people are saying that it aims for weak spots but for me it looks like it just aims for the middle of the tank)  . Path finding is very bad, they will hit houses (And get stuck on them or damage themselves enough to not be able to move anymore) and just drive through trees. Ai shots through trees and bushes but they did something that Ai will not shot through 50m or thicker forrest. 

Overall models of the tanks are great ( also a lot of nice skins from comunity). But there is nothing else expect the houses on the Prokhorovka modeled for Tank crew ( Map that tank servers dont use even though its made for tank crew). There are only assets made for airplanes ( low res, shitty hitboxes).

From my point of view there is still a lot to do to make Tank crew good tank sim/game. But there is not enough resources and the developing team is small. Either theyll stop developing or itll take another three years.

If you like tanks youll like Tank crew. (sry for my English)

Edited by Krotchy_SK
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Krotchy_SK said:

Theres not much to do yet except driving around. Quick missions are very simple pretty much duels or just a shooting range. Multiplayer, well there is not a multiplayer mode for tank crew only ariplane modes changed to be playbale with tanks, which is not very good (spawn camping, weird flag capping). Offical campaigns and missions are fine but the AI makes them bad. There is quite a few comunity made missions and campaigns which can be good and bad (getting killed by AT canon spawning out of nowhere), the main problem is again the AI.

Balisitc system is quite good. But the zoom makes it feel weird ( shooting at traget 1000m away but it feels like the target is 400 m away). Armor system is probably simple LOS thickenss RHA (sometimes work sometimes doesnt). Shells, APHE is op,  Solid AP/APCR mostly fly through the tank and do nothing (excpet for German tanks from side they just explode instantly). HEAT you just dont use it in any tank except su 122 but it seems to work simalary to APHE. HE idk didnt use it much.

Sherman doesnt have stabilizer ( idk for sure ) but most of the tanks feels stabilized if you are going slow and espicially on the road. Steering feels different on the sherman, ferdinad but idk much about sterring of the tanks. 

Tank AI is horibble. AI has a laser rangefinder no matter what the dificullty is (itll will hit you on great distances first shot most of the times, people are saying that it aims for weak spots but for me it looks like it just aims for the middle of the tank)  . Path finding is very bad, they will hit houses (And get stuck on them or damage themselves enough to not be able to move anymore) and just drive through trees. Itll shot through trees and bushes but they did something that theyll not shot through 50m or thicker forrest. 

Overall models of the tanks are great ( also a lot of nice skins from comunity). But there is nothing else expect the houses on the Prokhorovka modeled for Tank crew ( Map that tank servers dont use even though its made for tank crew). There are only assets made for airplanes ( low res, shitty hitboxes).

From my point of view there is still a lot to do to make Tank crew good tank sim/game. But there is not enough resources and the developing team is small. Either theyll stop developing or itll take another three years.

If you like tanks youll like Tank crew. (sry for my English)

You covered some good points. Regarding the included in-game content, I quite liked the campaigns, but that is going to come down to personal preference. My suggestion would be for the OP to check out YouTube, there are some great videos that show campaign game play. In terms of multi-player, what sounds like the best experience at this point is hooking up with a group that have a combined arms focus. Check out the "Sunday tank battle" thread in the general discussions forum.

As mentioned, the physics model for driving, including visualizations and sounds, are top notch IMO. You can even shift gears manually with a noticeable difference as you traverse different terrain types. The only realism glitch I found so far with driving is on heavily slopped ground. The vehicles tend to slid around a little too much. 

I agree, issues with the ballistics system might be connect/related to the in-game AI. But they have also added a lot of visual details/sounds that greatly add to the immersive experience such as the bore evacuator and turret ventilation. And yes the effect of armor angle is modeled at least to some degree.

• Like 1

Just buy a darn game and see for yourself !!! You're not buying a house! Probably less than a monthly payment for your cellphone. No matter how good the guys here describe the good and the bad points, you'll still find something to disagree with eventually.  So get it and test it. I know you want it.Otherwise you wouldn't have asked :salute:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Salutations,

If you can easily afford Tank Crew, purchase it. It is well worth it in my opinion. Come on... strap on your tanking boots and join the ground battle. :salute:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

I dont at all regret buying TC ,it is unique and has alot of potential and it works well in Multiplayer for VR guys ,I highly recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I agree, i bough tank crew sort of as support action, and quite unexpectedly enjoy it at times.

Driving around at ground level makes one realize how well some maps and scenery is done.

F.i. the new Vluki summer map looks great on the dance floor. Those details you'll normally only see if you crash-land your plane.

PS you got the two standard tanks already included to fiddle with, without TC.

Im enjoying TC. I absolutely dont regret buying it.

I would like to have more official single player campaigns from the team or even  more variation to the qmb. Im missing at guns positions in qmb. Tank warfare is not only about tank vs tank engagement .

They are improving the game by small steps with every update. There will be infantry some day and hopefully we will get TC 2 or at least some new vehicles.

And honestly there is nothing to choose from ww2 tank sims. There is only heavily modded old steel fury and thats all.

• Upvote 2

Hello tankers and founders,

For the future of the game it would be nice if there were certain tank upgrades - for good marketing these could also be offered as "Collector Vehicles", for example

- with the Tiger I the additional spare track holder on the tower and good Zimmerit on the whole tank with the early model (early)
- with the Tiger the versions "mid" and "late" with the new commanders cupola and then the late steel rollers
- with the Panther the versions D "late early" with a new commander's cupola and then the Panther A and the versions G and spare track holders at the turret
- with Ferdinand the further development to the "elephant" with Zimmerit, new commander's cupola and bow machine gun
- With a "Normandy" card, appropriate camouflages for the vehicles
- Different crews for all cards / versions, such as the 4 K crew shown here

and clearly the same for other nations and their weapons and later new other tanks.

What is also missing - apart from the barking of dogs - are civilian animations and animals - at least in the towns. For the battlefield, it would be nice if, for example, support troops could be deployed in a simplified manner, such as pioneers to clear mines and repair bridges or a tank commander could also request supply vehicles.
For reality, it would be desirable if, for example, artillery fire and rocket launcher fire could be simulated here in a simplified manner - for example during or before an attack. Simplified for me would mean that an area only has to be marked on the map with a certain trigger and that this event then takes place there.
In the further course, I would also advise the developers and those responsible to set up the game independently - separately from the aircraft simulation IL 12 - with better input options via the keyboard and the mouse. The game "Iron-Front - Liberation 1944" could serve as an example.

Good luck
967109389_Leo1.jpg.ef0a77ac0b54c19349b3dd00f4157b5f.jpg

Guenther

3 hours ago, Koenigstiger said:
Hello tankers and founders,

For the future of the game it would be nice if there were certain tank upgrades - for good marketing these could also be offered as "Collector Vehicles", for example

- with the Tiger I the additional spare track holder on the tower and good Zimmerit on the whole tank with the early model (early)
- with the Tiger the versions "mid" and "late" with the new commanders cupola and then the late steel rollers
- with the Panther the versions D "late early" with a new commander's cupola and then the Panther A and the versions G and spare track holders at the turret
- with Ferdinand the further development to the "elephant" with Zimmerit, new commander's cupola and bow machine gun
- With a "Normandy" card, appropriate camouflages for the vehicles
- Different crews for all cards / versions, such as the 4 K crew shown here

and clearly the same for other nations and their weapons and later new other tanks.

What is also missing - apart from the barking of dogs - are civilian animations and animals - at least in the towns. For the battlefield, it would be nice if, for example, support troops could be deployed in a simplified manner, such as pioneers to clear mines and repair bridges or a tank commander could also request supply vehicles.
For reality, it would be desirable if, for example, artillery fire and rocket launcher fire could be simulated here in a simplified manner - for example during or before an attack. Simplified for me would mean that an area only has to be marked on the map with a certain trigger and that this event then takes place there.
In the further course, I would also advise the developers and those responsible to set up the game independently - separately from the aircraft simulation IL 12 - with better input options via the keyboard and the mouse. The game "Iron-Front - Liberation 1944" could serve as an example.

Good luck
967109389_Leo1.jpg.ef0a77ac0b54c19349b3dd00f4157b5f.jpg

Guenther

Before we get versions of existing tank it would be great to new vehicles. Getting versions for allready existing tanks is only usefull if the have an real impact to the game and i can not see that in your list. There are dozen of more important other vehicles important than your list. A real impact would be the T34-85 but a whole new model for minor changes is useless. You can thankfull if we ever get some other tanks.

• Upvote 4

On 10/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, Voidhunger said:

Im enjoying TC. I absolutely dont regret buying it.

I would like to have more official single player campaigns from the team or even  more variation to the qmb. Im missing at guns positions in qmb. Tank warfare is not only about tank vs tank engagement .

They are improving the game by small steps with every update. There will be infantry some day and hopefully we will get TC 2 or at least some new vehicles.

And honestly there is nothing to choose from ww2 tank sims. There is only heavily modded old steel fury and thats all.

While it would be hard to argue against the bold text, there are still problems with updates and some of the hot fixes are not as complete as they could be. Take the introduction of the gun lock feature, great addition but it was the source of a lot of problems with the player base when first implimented. This was quickly remedied, but only partially IMO. There were issues with gun lock as you changed positions, and AI tanks will drive around in battle in the locked position until they are triggered to engage an enemy. They should add a command to enable the player to issue a combat ready/stand down command.

2 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

While it would be hard to argue against the bold text, there are still problems with updates and some of the hot fixes are not as complete as they could be. Take the introduction of the gun lock feature, great addition but it was the source of a lot of problems with the player base when first implimented. This was quickly remedied, but only partially IMO. There were issues with gun lock as you changed positions, and AI tanks will drive around in battle in the locked position until they are triggered to engage an enemy. They should add a command to enable the player to issue a combat ready/stand down command.

they never bothered to program an at ready/stand down command for rear gunners, i doubt they'd implement something similar for tanks

Edited by randybutternubs

2 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

I know I know, but still its fun. I wish they could hire more people to work only on TC.

Im little sad that the official release is close and no word of new content/improvement in the next patch. I still believe in TC2 announcement in December which can lead in more improvements for the base game. 

• Upvote 1

I  prefer playing  the game in multiplayer as opposed to single.  I  can remember there were alot of people playing on the Efront server  on the weekends but I don't seem to see as many or the server anymore.   Finnish virtual  pilots server always has tanks and objectives,  I   don't see too many large #'s of tank players when I am on there.   SCG  has planned events that they do  and announce that are more of a tank/combined arms affair and very fun.   My own squad JG1  has a couple of members that have put together  what they call Tank n Spank .

Hope to see you there.Mission length is 3 hours

Edited by JG1_Wittmann
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, randybutternubs said:

they never bothered to program an at ready/stand down command for rear gunners, i doubt they'd implement something similar for tanks

TBH, I have not tried the plane side of IL2 much so I wouldn't know how this part of the game mechanic feels, and whether it causes any real problems for pilots. But for tanks I think it is problematic. Maybe it has to do with the speed that you travel across the map in a tank, but not being in full control of when you want your gun to be ready causes problems in addition to not being very real. 

7 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

I know I know, but still its fun. I wish they could hire more people to work only on TC.

Im little sad that the official release is close and no word of new content/improvement in the next patch. I still believe in TC2 announcement in December which can lead in more improvements for the base game. 

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if I were you. Don't get me wrong, I was so hot on Tank Crew when I first discovered it and still am, but its just that recent events have made me realize my initial hopes/expectations are likely to be very far away from where Tank Crew is apparently going. Take the Radio Operators position just as an example. Other then the bow machine gun, the radio position itself has essentially been left unfinished. In the command menu, there is a command function for a forward observer which might have been originally planned as part of this position, but it currently doesn't function. There is a long list of things like this, but understandably resources are probably restricted by the small user base.

But you are right, it is still a lot of fun, and the models for the most part of pretty good. Not having been here that long, I am probably the least likely person able to accurately predict what is to come, but the way it looks to me, a TC2 would need a new map like Poland, France, or Germany for tanks, and I don't see that happening any xmass soon. I think what we might see in addition to the already announced infantry are more collector vehicles, which I really think is a great way to build towards a TC2 and maybe even expand the user base a little. But if they are not going to add anymore features to the current offering, I hope they at least address some of the issues that are currently present in TC-CAP

Edited by LachenKrieg
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JG1_Wittmann said:

My own squad JG1  has a couple of members that have put together  what they call Tank n Spank .

Is that server available for public? I can't find server of that name in the list.

5 hours ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

Is that server available for public? I can't find server of that name in the list.

Up on Weds/Sundays I think.

Thread in the TC multiplayer section

On 10/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, Voidhunger said:

I still believe in TC2 announcement in December which can lead in more improvements for the base game. 

Jason in an interview last summer did mention some new projects where being designed and could be announced later this year, he also announced at the same time flak trucks where coming so there is something else being planned.

It could be anything though like an new collector plane (like the B25), collector tank (Like the Stug III) or an new product like Flying Circus Vol 2 or Tank Crew 2 or maybe something else entirely.

If they are going to make Tank Crew 2 I suspect it will be on the western front 1944/1945 since there is an larger western playerbase + decent planeset already available for both sides  + basic airmap (Bodenplatte) is already released or in devenlopment (Normandy) which means less work to make an tank crew map.

I would say Battle of Bulge or Normandy for tank crew would be best choice, they can also combine popular tanks together.

For example an setup for Battle of Bulge can be :

M4/Sherman I                        Could have the 17 Pounder as modification (Firefly Ic)

M4A3                                       Could have several modifications like 76mm, 105mm and HVSS (E8)

M4A3E2 (Jumbo)                   Could have the 76mm as modification

M18

M36

Panther G Early/Mid             Could have Ersatz M10 as modification

Tiger II H

StuG IIIG Late                         Could have 105mm (StuH 42) and Ersatz StuG as modification

Jagdpanther

Jagdpanzer 38(t) (Hetzer)

Only problem I see is the normandy map. If the AI can see through couple of trees or bushes it will be problem.

I think that western front with some well known tanks/spgs would sell much better imho

1 hour ago, Voidhunger said:

If the AI can see through couple of trees or bushes it will be problem.

AI can see even through the hills. When I played "Last chance" campaign, I've noticed that AI rotate turret to my position even I was below horizon.

11 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

AI can see even through the hills. When I played "Last chance" campaign, I've noticed that AI rotate turret to my position even I was below horizon.

yep and this will be even worse in Normandy map

On 10/22/2020 at 12:57 AM, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

At this time,  the server is  available  to join   on Wed  at  6PM  EST / 10PM UTC     and Sunday  230PM  EST/ 630 PM UTC. Mission length on the server is 3 hours.   Those are the times that the  server runs this map, Mission.   Look for JG1  in the server list on those 2 days.   It  really is alot of  fun,  but the more the merrier.  We have had a few players  on there intermittently,  and have seen Rivaldo regularly.  Tank or Air,  both   are welcome.

Edited by JG1_Wittmann
  • Thanks 1