Sign in to follow this  
ACG_Greezy

AI comms suggestion

Not sure if this has been said before or perhaps already in the works, but what about a radio menu/sub-menu system for communicating with AI? With so many options between your wingman, your flight, ground control, etc., it's hard to remember what all the hot keys do. I'm thinking something along the lines of the original IL2, where you'd press TAB, then a series of options, then sub options.

Again, maybe this is planned. I just know that for myself, without sitting down to study or pausing the game all the time to refresh my memory, it'll be pretty challenging to communicate over radio with AI.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this has been said before or perhaps already in the works, but what about a radio menu/sub-menu system for communicating with AI? With so many options between your wingman, your flight, ground control, etc., it's hard to remember what all the hot keys do. I'm thinking something along the lines of the original IL2, where you'd press TAB, then a series of options, then sub options.

I would love to see this same system implemented in BOS, it is what I am used to from both IL2 and Cliffs of Dover.

(Cursing in the chapel?) The DCS easy communication menu style would be really nice! Hit a button, and chose who to talk too, and what you want from them!

While we are at it. Please we need rearm and refuel menus too!

Off topic, and no we don't.

I would love to see this same system implemented in BOS, it is what I am used to from both IL2 and Cliffs of Dover.

+1

why not?i would love to see that feature

It's arcade-ish and serves no purpose in a historical flight sim.

• Upvote 1

+1

arcade-ish to rearm refuel?

that's new!!

i guess i learn something everyday!!

The AI really need a greater repertoire too.  If an engine catches fire on a bomber for example, surely your crew might say something

that's new!!

Let me clarify: I have no problem with those things - IF they are accurately modelled - but somehow I doubt the people asking for it will want to sit around for the 20 - 45 mins it historically took to get a WW2 fighter ready for action.

Let me clarify: I have no problem with those things - IF they are accurately modelled - but somehow I doubt the people asking for it will want to sit around for the 20 - 45 mins it historically took to get a WW2 fighter ready for action.

its not realistic either to fly at 5.000 meters without an oxygen mask or to startup the engine pressing -E-  etc. etc.

theres no need for 20 minutes you can add some 5 minutes instead

anyway you probably right but is good to have options even that we don't want to use them  ;)

Reload/rearm would be useful in Multiplayer, but at that point is it really more effective than just "respawning"?

Anyway, as for the comms, I don't suppose a mod or dev could comment on this -- has it been considered or maybe is it in the works? Sorry if hashtags annoying to ask, I'm just curious is all. Or maybe it's been addressed somewhere else. Anyone know?

Reload/rearm would be useful in Multiplayer, but at that point is it really more effective than just "respawning"?

Yes but reload/rearm and takeoff should be free in MP as a reward for getting back down and getting back up without any mayor damage. Should this feature be in the game, 'respawning' should actually be costly for the team making you lose AC/points or some resource needed for victory. This way you get extra thing against those that bail out once they deplete ammo, or just land anywhere instead in base, etc...

Lots of options for better scoring system if this would be implemented and it sure is not arcadish if it force you to go back home and take good care of your bird on landing.

Just look at ROF, rare do you see people taking enough fuel to get back to own base, then their is problem of ramming due to how score system works. Something to reward pilot who lands intact and can be combat ready in same plane after some small amount of time is more then welcome touch and IMHO a great suggestion by OP.

• Upvote 1

People dont like this "RR" idea in MP because it implies land in one piece to use.  :lol: 

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1

I can think of atleast 5 different ways to make people want to land in one piece instead of fighting to their death and non of them would require the person who is spending his limited free time to sit around waiting for an unrealisticly modelled R/R procedure. That's one hell of a reward for the guy who landed in one piece.

But that's probably for a different topic.

Edited by Matt

It interests me how the vast majority of simmers place huge importance in the modelling of FMs and DMs, engine management and realistic graphical depiction of damage. And maps. But show very little interest in the 'modelling' of the virtual character's experience. I've always put that down to the lack of time most players have. Anything that's not the actual fighting can only ever be a side-show kind of deal. And I guess rearming and refuelling would come under that.

Personally not having the persona stuff going on would be like apple pie without the cream. Refuelling etc would be like landing after a sortie and having a fag in the cockpit, shouting at the crew to hurry up while pretending I was scared to go up again. And then laughing at myself for being a big kid. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Yes to a communication menu. I'd be very much in favour of that.

Also... year after year people ask for a "rearm/refuel" feature and I honestly don't understand why. No-one has been able to articulate it to me. There is no difference then respawning.

Also... year after year people ask for a "rearm/refuel" feature and I honestly don't understand why. No-one has been able to articulate it to me. There is no difference then respawning.

For me it is a part where you have to land properly and taxi to hangar. Same as you taxi out of one in CLOD. It adds to immersion.

Immersion is important to me personaly, and with that said there is one more thing I really miss in IL2 games, pilot when in 1st person view.

When you look at Star Citizen videos (or ARMA3 is good example, just hop in a vehicle and you will see your virtual self actually taking up controls) and getting in and out of cockpit and looking how you have hands when you do stuff. It increase immersion for me, I love details I guess...

Having VR in the future and looking in 3D when we will fly in the future is going to look a bit weird without hand modeled and It's quite easy to implement compared to all other things modeled in this game, yet 13 years later and 20 gaming years later IL2 still did not even consider it. 

For me it is a part where you have to land properly and taxi to hangar. Same as you taxi out of one in CLOD. It adds to immersion.

Immersion is important to me personaly, and with that said there is one more thing I really miss in IL2 games, pilot when in 1st person view.

When you look at Star Citizen videos (or ARMA3 is good example, just hop in a vehicle and you will see your virtual self actually taking up controls) and getting in and out of cockpit and looking how you have hands when you do stuff. It increase immersion for me, I love details I guess...

Having VR in the future and looking in 3D when we will fly in the future is going to look a bit weird without hand modeled and It's quite easy to implement compared to all other things modeled in this game, yet 13 years later and 20 gaming years later IL2 still did not even consider it. 

Ok, the immersion argument I can understand. But I think if that were to happen I'd want a ground crew to walk out to my plane after I parked it, do all of the work or at least show parts of it and really make it into something interesting. Otherwise what happens? I park my plane, turn off the engine and... what happens? Does a message come up saying that rearm/refuel is in progress? Should it take a realistic amount of time to do or only a few minutes?

Is everyone else who asks for this thinking along the same lines as you? What you've suggested is rational to me but I have of course my questions and I wonder if it's worth the dev time. I have similar questions about Star Citizen and all of the nitty gritty details they are into and if I'll just be skipping over all of it to get to the action - but it's Chris Robert's game and he can do whatever he wants :)

So I'm not dismissing the idea... I'm just having a hard time with it. Thoughts?

I do not work on this game, so can't answer you in full since I don't know the game engine limitation as far as human animations go, and it does seem limited and rudimentary since it's not developed for it in the first place (unlike CryEngine used for SC game).

Thing is, I'd like to see more details in a modern age Sim then we had in over a decade old ones. And this is just one of them. In this case, I guess it could be implemented in a way so we have to taxi in hangar and then see some crew buzz around and hear some ambient noise as they are in a hurry to bring us back in combat (think of it as a pitstop in modern race sims). It don't have to be perfectly animated either, we're in cockpit anyhow, just have to get the impression we are getting refueled and then someone gives a signal we're good to roll out again.

So definitely not just the message like you mentioned, but I does not have to be perfectly animated either, I am sure some compromise can be found to give an illusion of work being done (even if it's oldest trick in the book with in-game cut scene played, but i'd prefer some other solution where we do not leave 1st person view). 

I would not like it simulated in real time and wait for 40 minutes like someone mentioned earlier, same as I would not like to fly this game in real time since I don't have 5-6 hours of free time to fly a mission, nor I would find that fun. And this is a game in it's core after all, it's here to entertain first, and educate second, not the other way around, something frequently forgotten it seems.  

Only Devs know if they got enough funds/time and knowledge/talent in their team to go beyond what they have already implemented in their older titles. 

As a software engineer, my rule is always to push limits in features and technology used with every new project I work on. But I do not work in gaming industry so all I can tell you is what I'd like as a consumer. And that is "little more then we have already seen in previous IL2 and ROF titles".

BOS already delivers that in lots of important things, but I think they can innovate more on little details that got ignored for a long time for many reasons (mostly hardware limitations - development is all about compromises, as if you got to ambitious it can lead to project failure). And this rearming/refueling feature is just one of those requests I find to be spot on and hope to see it done one day, same as I hope the day will come when we will run from briefing room to climb in out planes (again seen in SC, sorry but it's a good reference for what future Sims could look like). I know we won't see anything like it in this game, but maybe some higher standards will have to be meet for the next one in line couple of years from now...

Edited by EAF19_Cyclops

How to derail a thread:

Thread title: 

AI comms suggestion

Started by Mr. Geezy, May 18, 2014 20:27

:sleep:

While we are at it. Please we need rearm and refuel menus too!

:mellow:

:dry:

why not?i would love to see that feature

:(

:unsure:

+1

:o:

that's new!!

............................................  :dry:  :unsure:  :mellow::blink:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch ... I would like to see that kind of comms menu as well.. That kind of men u works very well with voice activated programs like VAC.