BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XVII

Hello dear friends!

Virtually the entire month of May I was out in the office due to frequent travels. It's good for the project because the producer who always sits in the office is a bad sign, you need to move, you need to learn and you should always look for interesting things to do and visit. Of course because of this I missed a few weeks of communicating with you. We'll catch up.

This month has been eventful. We're well advanced in the work on the project, a lot of new features and modules are introduced and functioning properly. I can???

Bf109F4_1.jpg

Bf109F4_2.jpg

Bf109F4_3.jpg

Bf109F4_4.jpg

Thanks for the update !

The 109 cockpit looks nice, but I find it somehow "blurry", a bit drab. I'm sure shadows and sunlight will lit it up though.

I'm looking forward to look at some footage from your past weeks adventures.  :biggrin:  

Edited by Graawl

Thank you for all the information, can't wait for your vids of the Volgograd visit.

Your screenshots are completely wrong I'm sorry to say, in NO WAY this is a FW-190 .... oh, I see :rolleyes:

The 109 cockpit looks nice, but I find it somehow "blurry", a bit drab. I'm sure shadows and sunlight will lit it up though.

I hope too.

Your screenshots are completely wrong I'm sorry to say, in NO WAY this is a FW-190 .... oh, I see :rolleyes:

Maybe someday you'll see him))

That cockpit looks butt-ugly as it is IMHO. Even with no shadows, it is still a major step-down from the 109 CloD cockpit with no shadows applied. It looks overly shiny and completely flat.

Just my 2p.

The cockpits look very good, especially the glass reflections on the dials (animated in real time?). The saturation and contrast levels can always be tweaked to stop the greyscale effect. Gamma looks quite high atm, which can have the effect of washing things out. But the details are there, it c an all be tweaked. Good stuff.

Thank you for the comprehensive update. It is a privilege to get so much info during the development process. Also, I am amazed to hear that MIKOYAN visited your office! Absolutely incredible. Congratulations!

Btw, I have Mikoyans autobiography, very interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1853109169

Thanks for the update, nice shots of the cockpit. In particular good to see that the 109F can be used as a fighter bomber. :)

Question regarding the bombing: Will all the switches, lights and bomb modes be modelled properly or simulated close to the real thing?

There are several errors with gauges and labels, do you need references so you can fix them?

I also think the instrument panel could use a bit more contrast, with the instruments being darker (black) and the panel brighter (RLM 66). Looks a bit too grey in grey to me.

Edited by JtD

That cockpit looks butt-ugly as it is IMHO. Even with no shadows, it is still a major step-down from the 109 CloD cockpit with no shadows applied. It looks overly shiny and completely flat.

Just my 2p.

This is actual cockpit footage from the game. Not final version yet. 

Great to get an update.  Appreciate that the 109 cockpit is a work in progress.  As you previously indicated, not spending the same amount of development time on cockpits as in CLoD, so we cannot expect that standard.  None-the-less, all things considered the project sounds and looks like it is coming along nicely.  Looking forward to the eventual release.  

Looking good.  You might want to speak to your texture artist with regard to the weathering though.  Particularly on the tread plates in front of the rudder bars (picture #2).

Those two big swathes of paint chipping that run up and over the embossed ribs, like the paint was peeled up in a sheet.  The heel of your boot would never do that, and they might want to choose a different photoshop brush and look at that area again. 

Edited by Feathered_IV

The cockpits look very good, especially the glass reflections on the dials (animated in real time?). The saturation and contrast levels can always be tweaked to stop the greyscale effect. Gamma looks quite high atm, which can have the effect of washing things out. But the details are there, it c an all be tweaked. Good stuff.

In a true "hardcore" sim its not the graphics that counts the most.....its optimisation, correct FM (correct relative performances between planes ) and netcode (no of ground and air units which can be used without serious issues)....thats for MPers....and for SP guys its AI....Also you must know, BOS is DX9 and CLOD is DX10....cockpits are not final I believe and thers no shadows and lightning on the dev pics...

Edited by Tvrdi

Thanks for the update. I liked the reflections on the dials. Do you think we will see a reflection of the pilot at some stage or will it stay as is?

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger

Thanks for the update. I liked the reflections on the dials. Do you think we will see a reflection of the pilot at some stage or will it stay as is?

Keep up the good work!

Maybe, we've not decided how to make reflection.

Hmmm... What do you mean exactly:

7) Will the engines refuse because overcooling on full realism given the fact that we'll have winter in the game? Let's say I glided for 3-4 minutes with the open radiator then I added the throttle but the engine refused because it become too cold. Will this done?

Yes. If you find that this is excessive realism, you'll be able to engage the automatic machine for the different systems that will not make such mistakes.

It will be possible in all modes of realism? I hope not.

Edited by JG1_Baron

Hmmm... What do you mean exactly:

7) Will the engines refuse because overcooling on full realism given the fact that we'll have winter in the game? Let's say I glided for 3-4 minutes with the open radiator then I added the throttle but the engine refused because it become too cold. Will this done?

Yes. If you find that this is excessive realism, you'll be able to engage the automatic machine for the different systems that will not make such mistakes.

It will be possible in all modes of realism? I hope not.

No. We'll make two modes of realism, you'll not be able to engage this automatic in the most difficult mode, AFAIK.

Thanks for the 109 cockpit.  I said in an earlier update that seeing a 109 cockpit would reveal a lot and today's pics have. I really like the overall look.  As amazing as CLoD was in representing cockpits, it seemed like they spent way to much time turning them into art at the expense of other aspects of the game.  When playing CLoD I always felt "I wish we could have IL2.20."  I think we'll have  that with BOS.  I'm sure the cockpits will be further developed but for now...looking very good.

BTW, what is 3D Max?

Love the cockpit.. except the instruments/dials.. they seem to lack depth (as in 3D)? As if they are flat textures. Maybe it's just the angle of screenshots.. Still, thanks for the update!

Edited by Sim

No. We'll make two modes of realism, you'll not be able to engage this automatic in the most difficult mode, AFAIK.

Thank you for reply. It is good news  :good:

It is good the G-force to bent the head of the pilot at the moment of hard maneuvering. Please develop it.

Also, I have to say that the outside painting of the wing surfaces is magnificent.

The cockpit inside is too much worn out! If aircraft is on combat duty for 3-4 moths, it can not be worn out so much!

And I have more objection's: the contrast in to the cockpit is very low, and thats why the cockpit looks flat, especialy the dials of control board in front the pilot. There is one plexiglas handle of the side cockpit window, which seems 2D. this handle must distort the light coming from behind opticly, because it must act as 3D lense. Now the image of object behid looks not-distorted, and thus way the handle looks 2-D, but not 3D.

I send my congratulation to the dev team, for the wing surfaces of the Ju-87! Fantastic quality!

That is all have to say.

Guys,

The cockpit is in the "engine", but it's not "outside" in the sunshine etc. Everything is 3D as it should be. Will look great when you sit in it and see the shadows working etc.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Guys,

The cockpit is in the "engine", but it's not "outside" in the sunshine etc. Everything is 3D as it should be. Will look great when you sit in it and see the shadows working etc.

Jason

I object. The cockpit dials did not pop out of the screen and poke me in the eye! Not enough 3d's. I Need MOAR!

Looks good dudes, keep it up!

Guys,

Jason

I'm eagerly waiting for the clip to show us. :rolleyes: 

Just like you guys did with the Yak.  :cool: 

Very fitting to have an update with a cockpit in the shade, and then another update at a later point with shadows and sunlight playing over it. 

I asked this a while ago but I don't remember if it was answered or not.

Is the engine at a state yet where you can address questions about Mach and compressibility effects?

i.e. in il2:1946 it was possible to fly the P-47 and a few other aircraft faster than the speed of sound. In reality of course, wave drag and prop-tip mach effects would slow these aircraft down considerably.

You guys read way too much into these simple screens.

Jason

I am confident that the game will be great...look great, play great, great ongoing support, updates, GUI, etc.  ROF has set the precedent so I feel we we can be very optimistic about the short and long term future of IL2

I asked this a while ago but I don't remember if it was answered or not.

Is the engine at a state yet where you can address questions about Mach and compressibility effects?

i.e. in il2:1946 it was possible to fly the P-47 and a few other aircraft faster than the speed of sound. In reality of course, wave drag and prop-tip mach effects would slow these aircraft down considerably.

We need to run tests to find out the answer to your question.

Nice update, these screens make the waiting time worth wile.I have to say I too notice the "flatness" in the pictures but as Jason stated they are not "outside under the son.You can clearly see that there are no cockpit shadows like the ones we saw on one of the previous videos so Im pretty sure thats why they look like that.Thanks for the update, Im really grateful for the info you are sharing.

The waiting continues as there was hardly anything news worthy after the weeks of no updates.

The waiting continues as there was hardly anything news worthy after the weeks of no updates.

... I guess most of us will disagree, but your opinion is more than welcome.

The cockpit looks a bit dull I have to admit but I am in good hope that the guys will achieve a great appearence at release.

One thing:

I think it should be "waagerecht" and not "wagerecht" on the instrument