Halberstadt Raf captured

jollyjack

Editing in Photoshop, getting rid if that lozenge pattern, and something went wrong with the colors to boot. Unfinished business, though looking nice. And i learnt something once again.

Halberstadt RAF v6.jpg

Nice to see they fixed the wobbly bit on the vertical stabiliser when they transferred it from ROF...oh wait!

Looks like you missed a bit of engine cowling there, and your rib tapes appear to be black? Anyway, fun isn't it?  I did a wood version for ROF also..

BFW.thumb.jpg.8d68627e704b6fe6df9a4ef3b0d72ce1.jpg

BFW 1.jpg

Edited by Gooseh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

RNAS10_Oliver

Personal opinion but I would go back to having the national marking cover the entire vertical stabiliser. Or better yet covering just the entire rudder. As a rectangular national marking looks strange and a bit too WW2 to me. Not sure I’ve seen any RNAS/RFC/RAF from WW1 with the marking like that? But it’s your work your preference.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone else think that "captured " plane skins are of limited use and actually often a real fun killer in events etc?

Thank goodness we control the skins we see by controlling the skins we download. 

You won't catch me dead installing any such skins, as that's how pilots often end up who install them, as some found when a player showed up recently on a server and thought it would be fun to trick other players in the blur of battle into thinking they are friendly.

Use at your own risk!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Does anyone else think that "captured " plane skins are of limited use and actually often a real fun killer in events etc?

Thank goodness we control the skins we see by controlling the skins we download. 

You won't catch me dead installing any such skins, as that's how pilots often end up who install them, as some found when a player showed up recently on a server and thought it would be fun to trick other players in the blur of battle into thinking they are friendly.

Use at your own risk!

You are certainly allowed your opinion but I think "fun killer" is a bit harsh.  Planes were captured and repainted, usually for evaluation. 

But what's the real harm?  Anyway, the host could just tell everyone 'No captured skins'. 

And so you get a "fired on friendly" if you shoot it down thinking it's an "enemy" plane.  No real harm, no actual foul unless you are really tied to how many points you score per session.  If that's the case maybe an MMOP FPS or RPG game is more up your ally.  Sure I want to shoot down a lot of planes, it's very satisfying, but hey, if I return to base safely even without a victory I have done what most real pilots did.  Besides....

It's a game after all. 

Personally I think skinners are a very talented group and you "won't catch me dead" denigrating their work.  I'm glad they give me the variety I wouldn't get without them.

2 kopecks from me. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
J2_Trupobaw

"Captured" skins are a meanace for new pilots in icons-off enviroment, because they show markings of side you're flying against. Unless you are a very experienced already, you will use crosses/roundels to help you tell friend from foe; "captured" skins will make most pilots hesitate for few seconds at best, completely fail to recognize plane as enemy at worst. It's an unfair advantage in enviroment that's already difficult for new guys.

These skins are fun for historical fooling around, but in realistic setting multiplayer they provide unfair advantage (one each of us has to protect himself separately by managing skin collection). Baumer, being operator of such server, is right to warn pilots against installing them.

US93_Larner

I like the idea of captured skins maybe being used for specific events (I remember a while back there was a community campaign in RoF that had a captured Hanriot flying for the Germans...confusion and hilarity ensued)...but given that they've being used for a long time to 'trick' players and that captured planes almost never feature in community events, I'd say they're best avoided. 

=J18=FritzGerald

I was flying once in RoF in a captured Spad 7 180hp skin and was shot down by a friendly, I wasn't the happiest pilot after that, but I still like to fly using that skin just because it is a very well done skin. So I would say that if you plan on using it to just be careful and warn your teammates in chat that you'll be flying using that skin if they have it downloaded.

Salute!

-Gerald