Beebop

Command Attack MCU Not Acting As Expected

I have a flight of 190 Jabos attacking a stopped (Linked Entity) train.  I used the Command Attack MCU exactly as described in the Manual. 

(Chapter 9: Attacking and Defending, page 120, Attack a Factory.)

Instead of targeting the train they attack everything else, enemy AAA, cars, even go out of their way to attack in areas well outside of the area I want them to attack in.

Again I believe I have set this up precisely as the manual says. 

Should I be using some other other MCU?  I just want the train attacked so the 'Attack Area' didn't seem appropriate. 

I just want them to attack the train.  After that I don't care what they attack.  Actually I have it set up (I think) so they will return to a base.

I have attached the mission.  Be aware it is a dogfight mission, it's close to completion so perhaps a bit messy.

* The attack area is in 0308-4.

* The 190's spawn in 0208-5 and follow a road into Prokhorovka.

* For testing purposes I have a temporary I-16 triggering the complex trigger to start the 190's.  This way you can get right to observing the 190 flight.

* The Attack Command is set to 'High' with 'Attack Group' cleared.

* The 190 waypoint linked to the 'Attack' command is set to 'High'.

* There is other logic in the Attack area.  For instance a car triggers the trains start and there are several messages for the player.

Supposedly if the train is destroyed they get a Force Complete Command to go to their RTB Waypoint.  Since the train isn't even attacked that obviously never happens.

bottom Line, the 190's don't attack the train, they attack any other close, sometimes not so close enemy units and eventually get shot down by area AAA units.

Alternatively, is there another good example of a similar mission that I could study?

TIA

The General.zip

Edited by Beebop

The setup seems OK. I suspect this is one of those tricky AI behaviour things.

Suggestions:

• Use a subtitle to confirm that WP2 (id:1574) is being triggered.
  • Place the attack command at the same height as WP2 and try moving it well back from the train (I've haven't tested attack logic for quite a while, but I've seen posts with these suggestions re. level and dive bombing).

Thank you for your quick response.

39 minutes ago, JimTM said:

Place the attack command at the same height as WP2

Ahhh.  I've learned to do that with the 'Attack Area' MCU.  I should have thought of that.:dash:

I will try your other ideas as well.  I like the idea of using a subtitle to confirm waypoint activation.

OK.  It's working, kind of but well enough.

I moved back the Command Attack closer to  WP3, and set the MCU altitude to WP3's 300 meters.  I set that WP lower than the other 900 meters because I figured that since the 190 is no Stuka, it would want to glide bomb rather than dive bomb.

Still the majority of the flight wanders off and attacks nearby enemy airfield AAA, enemy cars (they usually kill the generals car while it's waiting to leave the airfiled) but after a few minutes the leader finally dropped a bomb accurately on the train. triggered the Force Complete so then they turned for the RTB waypoint and went home.

So I'm OK with that.  With all the things happening in the mission it will take a test with several mates flying to see if it's going to work as a Team Dogfight.  There are three different times that you can get "the general is dead" messages so I may need to prune those.

Most importantly though the planes now do what I want them to do even though it's not always at the time I want them to do it.  What can one expect from a computer game?  Frankly it's sometimes amazing to me that it's as realistic as it is given all the code that one must write to get even the semblance of "human" behavior.

So bottom line is, thanks Jim for your insight's and taking the time to look it over.  I am sure you are quite busy so I really appreciate the time you took for me.  Again my brain is larger and I am in your debt for it getting that way. :salute:

No problem Beebop. Glad to hear it's mostly working for you.

2 hours ago, Beebop said:

OK.  It's working, kind of but well enough.

I moved back the Command Attack closer to  WP3, and set the MCU altitude to WP3's 300 meters.  I set that WP lower than the other 900 meters because I figured that since the 190 is no Stuka, it would want to glide bomb rather than dive bomb.

Still the majority of the flight wanders off and attacks nearby enemy airfield AAA, enemy cars (they usually kill the generals car while it's waiting to leave the airfiled) but after a few minutes the leader finally dropped a bomb accurately on the train. triggered the Force Complete so then they turned for the RTB waypoint and went home.

If you want fighters to do a straight in level bomb on the first run without going in a big circle around the target, all you have to do is have them start their attack run from your last waypoint about 1km out from the target and keep the Command Attack MCU half way between that WP and the target at 500 meters or above. If your target is stationary, a Command AttackArea MCU will work better. In that case, you would put the AttackArea set to Attack Ground with the icon directly over the target @500 meters and this will land your leader’s bombs on the target in the center of the Attack Area icon. The wingmen’s bombs will hit in the pattern of the formation from that. If the target is moving, set the MCU to Attack Ground Targets and the flight will almost certainly take one or more circuits to line up on it, and then attack.

I have found that single seat bombers ignore the Command Attack MCU if it is too low.

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that info. 

For testing purposes the train is stationary.  However during gameplay it MAY be moving so my thought was the "Attack" MCU.

But if further testing shows the player(s) will arrive on the scene before the train is triggered then I will switch to "Attack Area".  I'm thinking here that if I make the radius large enough and offset it so that the start point for the train is at the edge but inside the radius I can have the bombers attack it if moving and still within that radius(?).

If the train may or may not be moving, the Command Attack would be a better bet.

Then you can disable it with On Damaged event from the train, disable Command Attack, Force Complete, activate new Waypoint. On Bingo Bombs also works to deactivate.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

you can disable it with On Damaged event from the train, disable Command Attack, Force Complete, activate new Waypoint.

OK. Thanks.

Someday, (say after we have successfully colonized Mars), I will have the hang of the ME.

😁

1 hour ago, Beebop said:

OK. Thanks.

Someday, (say after we have successfully colonized Mars), I will have the hang of the ME.

😁

Baby steps.

You'll be surprised where you end up if you give it time.

Basically once you figure out how the editor "thinks" you can do anything.

Then years will go by and you'll realize there's something stupid that you never got a handle on...like me and the "spawn at me" functionality that was just pointed out to me, and is a game changer for my next project.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Thanks 1

Can you use either the Attack or Attack Area command with a ship, say a destroyer, so that it fires on a stationary target no matter what that target is?  And if so, at what height should that icon be?  The height of the ship or the target?

Edited by Deacon352nd

As I understand it,

"Attack" is used to target a single unit and is best used on a moving target.  That's what I did with my train.  If it's not destroyed while waiting at the station the attacking planes follow it down the rail line continuously attacking until they are either successful or run out of ammo/fuel.

"Attack Area" is best used when there are several targets that you want attacked.  It is best used by bombers, level or dive, against fixed targets like buildings, non-moving vehicles or artillery positions.

In both cases the 'Attack Area'/'Attack' MCU should be set to the same height as the attacking plane(s), Object Linked to the attacking plane or formation leader and the waypoint preceding the attack/attack area needs to be object linked to the atack MCU.  You may need to adjust the distance between the waypoint prior to the attack/attack area MCU for best success.

I could be wrong and if so I apologize. 

Someone smarter than me will correct my error(s).

Edited by Beebop

39 minutes ago, Beebop said:

In both cases the 'Attack Area'/'Attack' MCU should be set to the same height as the attacking plane(s), Object Linked to the attacking plane or formation leader and the waypoint preceding the attack/attack area needs to be object target linked to the attack MCU.  You may need to adjust the distance between the waypoint prior to the attack/attack area MCU for best success.

Small correction above.

Also:

• The Attack command needs to be target linked to the object to be attacked.
  • The Attack Area command, set to "Attack Ground", can optionally output the first part of an OnAreaAttacked report message. For details, see pg. 237 in the editor manual.
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for correcting and clarifying my comment.