Death1111

Bf 109 cockpit size in real life

Ok, here's another tiny cockpit. If the guy's built a 1/5th model of that too I'll give up. :biggrin:

DSC05403_zpsb807ec27.jpg

Spitfire had 2 positions for the pilot's feet. One for landing and taking off and the other higher that was for combat.

Better vision for the Spitfire pilot

supermarine-spitfire-mk-xiv.jpg

Notice how the Bf109 pilot is straining to see

messerschmitt-bf-109.jpg

Edited by MiloMorai

you mean like this one in 1/5th scale?

spitfiremkidg_3.jpg

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/spitfiremkidg_1.htm

God damnit! :lol:

One does get an idea of the size of the cockpits when one goes to put a figure in a model. Granted the clothes don't deform realistically but they're molded to fit regardless and they swamp the cockpit, to the point one thinks "have they really got the pilot's scale correct?!"

Edited by II/JG3Siggi

I think when I'm at EAA this summer I need to pay the guy a couple bucks and ask if I can sit in the cockpit. Curious to see if I can fit in at 6'1"

I felt very uncomfortable in the cockpit of G2. on game :biggrin:  ( Few forward visibility  )

I feel curious about  this topic Bf 109 cockpit size in real life.

I must agree with these photos posted from Russian forum

Messerschmitt-Bf-109-G-2-Black-6-IMG-576Messerschmitt-Bf-109-G-2-Black-6-IMG-575post-16518-0-43803300-1399097623_thumb.j

But Why I fell very uncomfortable in the cockpit of G2 on game?? ( defaults views. )

Maybe these images can explain .. For default views

Sintiacutetulo_zps6bbb3bc4.png

In real photo, if you look the Gunsight, your head maybe can go a little down,  but you also can see the nose of the plane clearly. ( In real life photo ) offcourse

Edited by Mustang

Trying to compare a picture of a cockpit with what you see in the game is flawed at best.

Trying to compare a picture of a cockpit with what you see in the game is flawed at best.

Yeah, because it's not like this game is trying to be realistic or anything.

Oh wait :lol:

:rolleyes:

Moving right along, then...

:rolleyes:

Moving right along, then...

Geez Luke, I was making a joke. Chill out for God's sake. Between this and the snark you give to a lot of people, you're coming across as really confrontational.

• Upvote 4

That actually looks like a perfectly valid comparison to me......assuming the same version of the aircraft, the RL view clearly has a larger forward viewing area? Although that large upper bar (did somebody say bar!!?!) is a little larger in the sim version, it's still pretty off looking. But this is a hole with no bottom.... :D

In real photo, if you look the Gunsight, your head maybe can go a little down,  but you also can see the nose of the plane clearly. ( In real life photo ) offcourse

The angle in the pictures is different. In the RL picture the forward canopy supports are more upright than the sim picture, which allows a flatter perspective through the windshield (more viewable area). If the supports in both pictures were at the same angle they would present the same viewable area.

God damnit! :lol:

One does get an idea of the size of the cockpits when one goes to put a figure in a model. Granted the clothes don't deform realistically but they're molded to fit regardless and they swamp the cockpit, to the point one thinks "have they really got the pilot's scale correct?!"

Some (cheap) model kit producers deliberately shrink their pilots to fit, well at least back when I built models as a kid. I remember I once tried to accurately meassure the exact height of the pilot for one of my 1:72 Fw 190s (not an easy task, because of his posture) The figurine was a mere 18 mm tall, which would make our pilot a dwarf just 130cm tall, including boots and helmet.

Just keep watching both videos show the cockpit a few times

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

The angle in the pictures is different. In the RL picture the forward canopy supports are more upright than the sim picture, which allows a flatter perspective through the windshield (more viewable area). If the supports in both pictures were at the same angle they would present the same viewable area.

Funny thing is, where he took these pictures the poster are complain about... the bar! :lol:

Sokol1

i think modern games point of view got determined by old games, the classic old tech determining new one not in a logic way

for gods sake havent people watched old movies where pilot ducks to aim?

i bet the il2 190 pilot wasnt taller than 1.50 m

Question:

uh, so I can lower the gunnery head position for my pilot and the crosshairs will function or will that throw off the game "representation" of crossair placement vis a vis the target aircraft.

I was wondering this weeks ago ( my pc win 7 has died, won't start as of today- so this is a bit academic for me f%$##! )

but didn't want to be a petty Priscella while the game's in Alpha.

I often move my head with the Track IR to get down behind the sight which also might cause game disfunction.

Question.

2014_5_9__5_40_14_zps442bb7e1.png

Edited by JJJudyJoYstickr

Question:

uh, so I can lower the gunnery head position for my pilot and the crosshairs will function or will that throw off the game "representation" of crossair placement vis a vis the target aircraft.

No, because it's a collimator sight.

I felt very uncomfortable in the cockpit of G2. on game :biggrin:  ( Few forward visibility  )

I feel curious about  this topic Bf 109 cockpit size in real life.

I must agree with these photos posted from Russian forum

Messerschmitt-Bf-109-G-2-Black-6-IMG-576Messerschmitt-Bf-109-G-2-Black-6-IMG-575post-16518-0-43803300-1399097623_thumb.j

But Why I fell very uncomfortable in the cockpit of G2 on game?? ( defaults views. )

Maybe these images can explain .. For default views

It's a very cool looking cockpit. If I were only a foot shorter it would be perfect for me because I'm very scrawny.

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

Question:

I was wondering this weeks ago ( my pc win 7 has died, won't start as of today- so this is a bit academic for me f%$##! )

but didn't want to be a petty Priscella while the game's in Alpha.

I often move my head with the Track IR to get down behind the sight which also might cause game disfunction.

Question.

That's how they work on real life too. I would argue that in game collimator sights actually are much more visible in daylight than in real life. I have only experience with Russian collimator sights from 70s but at least those things are pretty faint when you move your head even slightly.

Funny thing is, where he took these pictures the poster are complain about... the bar! :lol:

Sokol1

The cockpit of the 109 is wrong at BoS.

Also in Real Life the foward view  of the BF 109 is excellent

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/6781-bf109g-2-forward-visibility-refraction-missing/?p=122937

Any doubt ??  ;) 

The forum  trained me.  :biggrin: 

Edited by Mustang

You are right, the gunsight need to be installed higher:

2el5dgi.jpg

And this "disk" on left side need be installed.

:lol:

Sokol1

I wonder what the max sitting height is.  I think that is more important that how tall you are. I think the legs can be a bit longer. I’m 96cm from the bottom of my butt to the top of my head when I sit bolt upright. However, I am 183cm tall. With the seat all the way down and with a parachute, would I fit? I think so, but I don’t think i will ever know. 

?key=ff314db4772efb38ac0607e607579244763

I think the Cockpit/Head Position in BoS sometimes just dont feel right, cause you cant see your legs/your hands in the cockpit. You have nothing to compare the size. When I was sitting in that 109G2 pit, i was absolutely blown away how very small and far away the forward windscreen felt and how small the ReVi truly was. It felt like a tiny F1 car cockpit for me. 

• Upvote 1

I had the oportunity to sit on a Bf109 g6 and a spitfire MKIX on a museum in cracov.

I am 1 81 and my head was almost touching the glass o the 109. However i felt quite good inside with no claustrophobic. Everything was near my arms to operate, and i felt that was a very ergonomic cockpit. The pedals were nicely placed for me and i had no isue mooving the stick anywhere. The frontal frame was the only thing that was unconfortable taking out some visibility, even with that frame there was smaller than the game one. 

Is true that the amount of frames gives you different sensation that the buble on the spit but the glass was low and i could put an arm out of the cockpit like a car with no problem so for me the visibility was good. 

The spit gave me worse sensation but not because was smoller, is because the glass starts just abobe your shoulder and the visibility with this high lateral panel and the high instrument panel as well was very limited to see below you. Frontal panel was almost on the heigh of mi mouth nose so i had the sensation that i was on a skuba escafandra. On game the position is much better because you can pull up your ass to see but there is not possible and frontal panel is also more far from the pilot so is not easy to get close to see below that panel. The seat had a big pillow as the chute so i know the position was correct simulating the chute on the ass.

To check six i can not tell you becuase the glass on the spit was very old and not very transparent. On the 109 i had no problem because the glass was old but you can see trough while on the spit the angle that you need to see is more like if you put your head on a glass table and you need to see trough that glass.

I felt the 109 had better ergonomics and better general visibility for combat. Visibility on the spit was good but very limited below you. The 109 was good but a frame can hide a contact so you need to moove a little to check but no limitation on any angle. 

This was my experience.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

It would be really cool to have someone that has flown in VR and sat in a real 109 do a comparison of the feeling between the two. 

In VR first impressions are that the cockpit is very cramped,  especially compared to US planes.

Having flown the 109 in VR for many hours now, the cockpit size, the bars all actually work quite well and aren't unmanageable. 

1 hour ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

It would be really cool to have someone that has flown in VR and sat in a real 109 do a comparison of the feeling between the two. 

In VR first impressions are that the cockpit is very cramped,  especially compared to US planes.

Having flown the 109 in VR for many hours now, the cockpit size, the bars all actually work quite well and aren't unmanageable. 

I have not sat in a real 109 yet unfortunately, but I have been lucky enough to be in a Spitfire, and the Spitfire was bang on in this case.

With how close the Spitfire felt in VR to real life, I will safely assume the 109 is there too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

I haven't sit inside, but poked my head into the cockpit of a 109-G2 (through the opened window). Compared to the in game VR cockpit it seems spot on. I have sat in a few more modern fighters like the Mig29 and Starfighter, they have a way bigger cockpit (both IRL and in DCS)

• Thanks 1