Jaws2002

Nvidia teases a 21 day countdown to unveil or release of the RTX 3000

Posted (edited)

https://mobile.twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/header_photo

I think this is a countdown to the official unveil of the 3000 series graphics cards and from what i read, the 3080ti and 3080 will be released first, on september 9th, with  3070 and 3060 following in  in October or november.

From what i read, AMD's response will come a bit later. October/November i think.

This will be an exciting season for computer hardware. 

AMD's Zen 3 are due for release about the same time,  Their 16 core egineering samples are chugging along at 4.9GHz. The release version could hit 5.0 GHz.

And if that's not enough new hardware, Intel will launch their entry level XE graphics card and in december the new XBox and Play station are due.

Finally some positive news for this shit year.

Edited by Jaws2002

Yes, and with my Reverb G2 coming, I am planning on picking up one of these along with a Ryzen 4000 series to help drive the thing. I recently calculated the estimated cost of those components and was not too happy with the resulting number 🥺

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In my European country, VAT included, a new high end sim PC (with 

3080Ti 24 GB VRAM - X670 PCI 4.0 Mobo - Zen 3-16 core, 32 GB RAM ...) + VR HP Reverb G2 : 5.000 USD for sure.

People having a problem with FC at half price and/or Tobruk at a discount ... better not look into this "scam" 😉

So now ... the inevitable Nvidia/AMD bashing can start ...

Calling out 1C pricing ... may stop for a while ! 

Edited by simfan2015
  • Upvote 3

I’m eyeballing a new build for the end of this year - early next year. 1700x/1080 currently so I’m not in a rush.

Within the foreseeable future though it will be time to - make my PC great again.

• Haha 1

Yep, I have some money set aside for a new 3-series card. 

Which one though..:hmmm.

My 370 chip (Asus Crosshair VI) means I’ll be looking at mobo/CPU/GPU/memory and it’s time for some bigger SSD’s too.

Target will be the 3080 but of the 3070 is a big enough jump from my 1080 then I might go that way. 

The big problem with the nowadays video cards it's that, due to their price, you have always to chose if buying a new one or buying a new car....

One day or the other we will have the Nvidia Gold Mastercard released if prices will kept the actual trend...

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, SKG_210_Belial said:

The big problem with the nowadays video cards it's that, due to their price, you have always to chose if buying a new one or buying a new car....

One day or the other we will have the Nvidia Gold Mastercard released if prices will kept the actual trend...

Yeah, this I do not understand. Processors and RAM are very affordable now - among the cheapest that I've ever seen them. $60 for 16 GB of RAM and under $300 for a pretty good CPU. Why are video cards more and more expensive every generation while the same isn't happening with other components?

• Like 2

Oh just great, between a 3080 Ti and Reverb G2 around the same time I will be having a big pain in my hip.

I will hold off for an EVGA FTW3 card though so maybe that will buy me some time.

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Yeah, this I do not understand. Processors and RAM are very affordable now - among the cheapest that I've ever seen them. $60 for 16 GB of RAM and under $300 for a pretty good CPU. Why are video cards more and more expensive every generation while the same isn't happening with other components?

Yeah not really sure why but the prices went up drastically with the 20x series of cards. I paid a lot more for my 2080 Ti than I did my 1080 Ti.

My only saving grace will be if I grab a 3080 Ti fairly quickly should be able to sell my 2080 Ti at decent price and recoup some of the cost.

Posted (edited)

Prices of RTX 2000 series cards  went up because Nvidia really did not have any competition from AMD and when you have got a monopoly, guess what?

You can set :cray:eye watering prices.

Hopefully AMD can get back into the GPU game with Big Navi or whatever they want to call it. :good:

Be interested to hear how much power a 3080 Ti  consumes, bit worried about my power supplies capacity to handle it.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
3080 Ti comment added
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah not really sure why but the prices went up drastically with the 20x series of cards. I paid a lot more for my 2080 Ti than I did my 1080 Ti.

The 2000 series was a big bs rip off.  A small part of the price hike was crypto mining, but by the time the 2000 series was released the mining rush was dying down. 

Ultimately, Nvidia hiked the price because they could and gamers are the easiest bunch of people to rip off. 

I was planing to replace my 1080ti with 2080ti.

I got that overclocked 1080ti for $780 USD, three days after the release. 

When 2080ti showed up Nvidia decided to bump the price $500, just because they could. 

I gave them the finger and skiped the 2000 series.

I'm due for an upgrade, but i'll wait until both, Nvidia and AMD release their cards to make up my mind.

I hope AMD's card is at least as powerful as 3080, so it puts pressure on Nvidis's prices, but with AMD's card coming two months after Nvidia's, i think the green team will try to milk the early adopters dry.

I'm botlenecked by the Graphics card right now and don't need a CPU for a while, but i'm more interested how the Zen 3 will do. 

The engineering samples of 4950x are running at 4.9GHz. This means the release version should do at least 4.9 and possibly 5GHz. 

On top of that they unified the L3 cache, so when workloads jump from chiplet to chiplet, it doesn't have to send the data from one chiplet,  to the memory and then down to the other chiplet. This reduce latency and also allow access to more L3 cache for the bussy cores.

Another improvement should come from faster infinity fabric. With Zen2, the IF was limited to 1800MHz. Only about 10% of the bined 3950x chips could do 1900mhz. That limited useful memory speed to 3600MHz. 

The recently released Zen2 APUs use some improvements from the zen3 architecture with Zen2 cores and some overclockers, who got their hands on this chips, managed to get the infinity fabric to run at 2200Mhz! That means you can run the memory at 4400MHz in 1to 1 ratio. 

Fast memory has huge impact on games like this one. If Zen3 infinity fabric can run that fast, it's going to make this generation AMD chips really good gaming chips.

Edited by Jaws2002

Finally its going to released after an half year of delay. 

I’m also ready here for the 3080 10Gb version as the 3080- 20Gb and 3080ti will be to expensive. Despite people here saying: I run BoX perfect in VR with an GTX1070ti and even an 1060, my experience is that my 1080 even at overclock is to weak for a decent BoX-VR. 

11 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

And if that's not enough new hardware, Intel will launch their entry level XE graphics

Yeah, but would they ship working drivers for that? It would be the first Intel graphics part featuring such. The chip is an interesting one for several reasons, but I don‘t see that one as relevant to gamers.

Given the dire state of Intels 10 nm products, I don‘t expect much from Intel (besides same ol‘ 14+++... nm chips) for the next year and a half.

By now I even hesitate at the idea of swapping my 7900X with the 10980XE. That one (although available now) for about $1200 in my part of the world. In games it will not give me much more than I have now, but a good bump in in productivity. However it‘s just a laughing stock compared what is out from AMD in 3 months from now. Especially at that price.

The next gen is looking promising.  I think im going to sell my 1080ti right now before it tanks in value.  I need a break for a few months anyway.

You guys that but the Ti versions are nutballs.

Never needed it, and that’s considering the 3D apps (Cinema, Modo, Zbrush) that until recently I worked in daily.

Just too much $$$

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Never needed it, and that’s considering the 3D apps (Cinema, Modo, Zbrush) that until recently I worked in daily.

Just too much $$$

The 2080ti was  definitely way to expensive. We'll see how expensive this one will be. The 1080ti was not expensive when it was launched. 

I heard Nvidia may kill the Titan line and slap a bunch of memory on the 3080ti in order to keep it's price high.

We'll see soon enough. 

Edited by Jaws2002

They really have us in an endless cycle of spend spend spend.

One day I’m going to opt out - but it is not this day.

5 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Just too much $$$

I used to never get the Ti.

Then came VR.

:wacko:

• Upvote 1

VR and 4k/ultrawide gaming you need everything you can get.  You can play for cheap if you are running a 1080p monitor or even a 1440 isn't too bad.

Would a used 1080TI be better than a 2060 right? Way more RAM for sims and VR correct? Maybe I can get one of those used for a decent price now when the 3000s come out.

IMHO buying the fastest consumer GPU is the best option. Buying a new card and try to save some cash, but say, every 2 year, simply means you never can truly enjoy a Sim (especially VR) the way it is meant to be run. So let us all support that green guy in the leather jacket. I am planning to get that 3080 ti asap after struggling with poor fps and no VR for too many years with my old DIY pc ! 

BTW in my home country I expect the 3080ti/3090 to be around 1500 usd. But what choice do we have with a. o. DCS VR taking everything it can get! 

An advantage of buying the new ones when they come out is still being able to sell what you are replacing at a reasonable price to recoup

some of the money. Granted though more is spent in the long run.

21 minutes ago, dburne said:

An advantage of buying the new ones when they come out is still being able to sell what you are replacing at a reasonable price to recoup

some of the money. Granted though more is spent in the long run.

Yep, listed my 1080TI on ebay before the market gets flooded with them and 2080TIs.  I'm planning on playing some oldschool games for a month or two while I wait for my 3080TI.

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2020 at 4:57 PM, kestrel79 said:

Would a used 1080TI be better than a 2060 right? Way more RAM for sims and VR correct? Maybe I can get one of those used for a decent price now when the 3000s come out.

Definitely better. The 1080Ti, in most older games, is close in power with a vanila 2080.   A lot of people, who bought the 1080Ti, skipped the 2000 series, because of the 80% jump in price, and will upgrade once the 3000 series and the new RDNA2 are out. So There will be a lot of 1080Ti's flooding the used market.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

Definitely better. The 1080Ti, in most older games, is close in power with a vanila 2080.   A lot of people, who bought the 1080Ti, skipped the 2000 series, because of the 80% jump in price, and will upgrade once the 3000 series and the new RDNA2 are out.

...and one of them is here. 1500 euros for a similar card with very few ( if true ) gains. No thanks. ( Without counting that the first series of 2080 released got the " good " habit of frying... ). At least here my 1080Ti in 4k " chew " any title of the IL-2 series without any problem.

At least here, before considering the purchase of a new video card, it must be a new video card that must be at least the double in performances in respect to the 1080 Ti otherwise, IMHO, the change, it's not worth the candle. ( Especially for the ones like me who plays the games of the IL-2 Series mostly based on " old " grapich engines ).

Edited by SKG_210_Belial
  • Upvote 1

The 2000 series value add was the ray tracing tech which had really poor performance but does look kind of cool.  Otherwise it was a 30% bump on the high end for a lot more money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

My RTX 2080Ti died a few weeks back, so I see myself in real need for a GPU unlike in the past when I've upgraded for the sake of it.

I'm shooting for the high end cards hopefully to run VR with high details.

I feel like the price is going to be even more brutal than last time.

Edit: I'm very sceptical that AMD will actually top Nvidia with RDNA2, so I won't be waiting for them to show the goodies.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

My RTX 2080Ti died a few weeks back, so I see myself in real need for a GPU unlike in the past when I've upgraded for the sake of it.

Edit: I'm very sceptical that AMD will actually top Nvidia with RDNA2, so I won't be waiting for them to show the goodies.

Any chance of a warranty claim to get a replacement 2080 Ti?

Suspect you will be waiting a while before 3000 series cards become generally available (especially for us Aussies) :(

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Everything is still blurry right now, but with the release approaching, more and more info shows up. I watched a few bits from a recorded live stream, on Tom's hardware and there's talk about a 3090 that may hit 10.000 points in time spy extreme.  Because of the robust power delivery and 24GB of fast memory on board, it may hit the street at between $1500 and $2000 USD. 

We'll see.

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I'm very sceptical that AMD will actually top Nvidia with RDNA2, so I won't be waiting for them to show the goodies

I also don't think AMD can topple this monster, I just hope it's going to be powerful enough to keep the price from going insane again. So i think I'll wait for AMD's release.

It's almost certain AMD's card will beat the 2080TI, just don't know how it's going to do against the new Nvidia cards. 

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

On 8/11/2020 at 1:42 AM, dburne said:

Oh just great, between a 3080 Ti and Reverb G2 around the same time I will be having a big pain in my hip.

I will hold off for an EVGA FTW3 card though so maybe that will buy me some time.

My only saving grace will be if I grab a 3080 Ti fairly quickly should be able to sell my 2080 Ti at decent price and recoup some of the cost.

Or get the RTX3090 https://videocardz.com/newz/micron-confirms-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-gets-21gbps-gddr6x-memory

Posted (edited)

Just let's hope that we will not need to be directly connected to a power plant to let it run on our PCs. I would like to avoid to generate a blackout in my neighborhood every time I'll turn on my PC LOL :)

Edited by SKG_210_Belial

12 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

You may still have warranty.  I buy all EVGA because they come with a 3 year warranty, pretty much no questions asked.  What brand is your card?  Did you ever change the thermal paste on it?  I always switch to Thermal Grizzly.

5 hours ago, SKG_210_Belial said:

Just let's hope that we will not need to be directly connected to a power plant to let it run on our PCs. I would like to avoid to generate a blackout in my neighborhood every time I'll turn on my PC LOL :)

I doubt it. Both Nvidia's and AMD's new cards are done on 7nm architecture, and they are expected to be quite a bit more power efficient than older, 14nm cards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard_IV said:

You may still have warranty.  I buy all EVGA because they come with a 3 year warranty, pretty much no questions asked.  What brand is your card?  Did you ever change the thermal paste on it?  I always switch to Thermal Grizzly.

EVGA. Unfortunately the damage was on my end, so it's not covered. I had a small water leak when I upgraded my CPU and had to re-do the water loop.

It made its way underneath the backplate (unbeknownst to me) and slowly made some damage. It took weeks for the card to start malfunctioning.

2080ti2.thumb.png.3a19c00637cf8574b90ddbddc6cf4514.png

8 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Based on all the rumors RTX3090 = RTX 3080Ti. They just dont know what the official name is going to be this time.

We all know they love making it very confusing with "super" and "ti".

In the past they reserved the "90" for the dual cards in single pcbs but this time it sounds different.

I look forward to seeing to what degree I cannot afford a 3080ti.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

There's already talk online that the 3090 will be somewhere between $1500 and $2000.

🤣

• Haha 1