Jason_Williams

Discussion of IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings - Tobruk Release!

6 minutes ago, planesyplanesy said:

August 6th. Opened Steam it downloaded 6.5GB to Cliffs Of Dover Blitz. NO NEW CONTENT????? WHAT is going on?????

Sounds like you only had the 5.0 patch downloaded. First, you have had to have purchased the Tobruk DLC. If you bought it from 1C, make sure you take that steam key serial and activate it over on steam ("games" , "activate a product on steam") - then it should automatically download and integrate.

6 minutes ago, 4SCT_V-Twin said:

Got the game, but where can I find instructions for the planes? I'm trying to fly with the C202 but I'm frying the engine at take off...

Hey Twin, if you go to your game folder you can find the manuals folder. 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\manuals\aircraft

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Loving the fun, but missing new Desert Wings but missing all old Blitz Campaigns and the new Desert Wings campaigns didn't install...any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand, did desert wings install or not? 

1 minute ago, 69thSpiritus said:

I'm not sure I understand, did desert wings install or not? 

I haven't read but was there another patch for just Blitz owners as well?  (possible redundant question; author of mediocre intelligence who has not read entire thread yet...)

5 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

I haven't read but was there another patch for just Blitz owners as well?  (possible redundant question; author of mediocre intelligence who has not read entire thread yet...)

Yes, there is the 5.0 upgrade (its 6gb) - but I don't believe they put up patch notes for it yet...

• Thanks 1

Guys sorry I'm still struggling with this. Where do I find my license key in my IL2 profile please? I pre purchased Dessert Wings on 1st August and have a receipt from merchant xsolla confirming my purchase but don't see an activation code from IL2?? Please help!!!

7 minutes ago, planesyplanesy said:

Guys sorry I'm still struggling with this. Where do I find my license key in my IL2 profile please? I pre purchased Dessert Wings on 1st August and have a receipt from merchant xsolla confirming my purchase but don't see an activation code from IL2?? Please help!!!

The activation code is from Steam and should be in your Steam account.

8 minutes ago, planesyplanesy said:

Check your profile on the main page.  Should be under your owned content.  Copy and paste the key into steam.

33 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Loving the fun, but missing new Desert Wings but missing all old Blitz Campaigns and the new Desert Wings campaigns didn't install...any suggestions?

That is unusual... are you looking in the right place...?  there are new menus.

Just now, JG51_Beazil said:

Check your profile on the main page.  Should be under your owned content.  Copy and paste the key into steam.

Thank Beazil but nothing there? I purchased directly through IL2 as well??  very confused....sorry

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, planesyplanesy said:

Thank Beazil but nothing there? I purchased directly through IL2 as well??  very confused....sorry

Then select "Profile" at the top, then choose "License keys" in the red box to the right.

Go down and find "IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – TOBRUK"

Copy the key to the right in the keys column.

Take this key and go into steam. In steam at the top choose, "games", then "Activate a product on steam".

Paste in that license key.

That will activate Tobruk and it should then automatically download and integrate it to the main CLOD Blitz game.

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Upvote 1

Can we get a list of the updates , (not new content added) , but fixes added to Cliffs of dover with ver 5.0 like previous released patches?

ie Like this?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, planesyplanesy said:

No worries man.  I found my number in the same place as the rest of my numbers for other 1C purchases (log in on the main page www.il2sturmovik.com), look under purchases in the store.  That's where I found mine anyway.

Edit: I purchased through the IL2 store and not steam, although this IS a steam distribution.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

Posted (edited)

Hey guys/gals, I'm having a few issues, wondering if its my system. For SA purposes generally I have an EVGA Gtx1080, 9700K, installed on SSD, Windows10. 

So far i'm having issues with:

- The steam overlay causing artifacts (turning Overlay off helps).

- Kittyhawk mixture controls not working smoothly or at all (both axis-controls and buttons for the mixture yields no movement unless the throttle is moved at the same time of key press/axis-movement).
- while playing the 4v4 dogfight in Tobruk the game frequently drops frames to the 35-40's (game at 2k res). Prior to this wasnt an issue.

noticed a few possible bugs too:
- Marlet MkIII mixture control seems backwards, Idle/cut position IN GAME reflects full mixture from the motor (higher RPM)

- Axis vs allied prop controls are opposite (prop decrease for axis is prop increase for allied -old bug). 

That's all for now, really enjoying the product so far.

Maple

Edited by Maple

8 minutes ago, Maple said:

Hey guys/gals, I'm having a few issues, wondering if its my system. For SA purposes generally I have an EVGA Gtx1080, 9700K, installed on SSD, Windows10. 

- Kittyhawk mixture controls not working smoothly or at all (both axis-controls and buttons for the mixture yields no movement unless the throttle is moved at the same time of key press/axis-movement).
- while playing the 4v4 dogfight in Tobruk the game frequently drops frames to the 35-40's (game at 2k res). Prior to this wasnt an issue.

- Marlet MkIII mixture control seems backwards, Idle/cut position IN GAME reflects full mixture from the motor (higher RPM)

- Axis vs allied prop controls are opposite (prop decrease for axis is prop increase for allied -old bug). 

Maple

Hello Maple

- Always turn off Steam Overlay.

- Turn off any other 3rd party programs which are not necessary, especially 32 bit programs.  If you are using MSA Afterburner, wait till after the game is running before starting.

- You should not use mixture controls for the US aircraft in normal circumstances... leave it in full rich/100%.  If you want to economize on fuel, then reduce throttle to 37 in... reduce pitch to 2600 rpm.... then finally switch to 0% or Lean mix.  (there is no in between... either full rich or lean)  When you want to go back to full rich... set throttle to 100%... toggle mix to 100%, then adjust pitch to your preference.  Do not go full pitch or full throttle for any length of time on lean mix or you will damage the engine.

- You should get better frame rates on the Tobruk map than the Channel map... if you are not, there is some other issue.

-  Martlet mix is historical... as with Kittyhawk, you should leave the mix at 100%/full rich unless you are on an extremely long distance flight.  The Kittyhawk carries much more fuel than the Spitfires or Hurricanes.... in fact normal combat load is 79% fuel.  The Martlet is a Naval aircraft and carries even more, it has more range than any other single engined type in the game.... you really don't need to run lean mix.

-  The opposite pitch directions for the Allied/German are a function of different systems... the Allies generally use constant speed props... the Germans use variable systems which sometimes have auto regulators.  The Italians use constant speed systems too.

2 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

Hello Maple

- Always turn off Steam Overlay.

- Turn off any other 3rd party programs which are not necessary, especially 32 bit programs.  If you are using MSA Afterburner, wait till after the game is running before starting.

- You should not use mixture controls for the US aircraft in normal circumstances... leave it in full rich/100%.  If you want to economize on fuel, then reduce throttle to 37 in... reduce pitch to 2600 rpm.... then finally switch to 0% or Lean mix.  (there is no in between... either full rich or lean)  When you want to go back to full rich... set throttle to 100%... toggle mix to 100%, then adjust pitch to your preference.  Do not go full pitch or full throttle for any length of time on lean mix or you will damage the engine.

- You should get better frame rates on the Tobruk map than the Channel map... if you are not, there is some other issue.

-  Martlet mix is historical... as with Kittyhawk, you should leave the mix at 100%/full rich unless you are on an extremely long distance flight.  The Kittyhawk carries much more fuel than the Spitfires or Hurricanes.... in fact normal combat load is 79% fuel.  The Martlet is a Naval aircraft and carries even more, it has more range than any other single engined type in the game.... you really don't need to run lean mix.

-  The opposite pitch directions for the Allied/German are a function of different systems... the Allies generally use constant speed props... the Germans use variable systems which sometimes have auto regulators.  The Italians use constant speed systems too.

Hello Buzzsaw,

thanks for the quick reply!

I'll keep these points in mind when I fire the game back up and ACK on the hisctorical context of what I saw as errors, thanks!

I figured frame rates in Tobruk map would be better by nature of the desert. I think something is up, framerate is high, butter smooth even at 4k, but there's frame rate dips during combat every minute or so; I'll research more on my end. 

Now I've had a chance to actually get into it.

What. A. Triumph.  This was worth every minute of the wait.  Bravo!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

This is not correct though, the 100% Full Rich setting should only be used on engine startup or emergencies in flight when the automatic mixture control is faulty, an overly rich mixture setting causes loss of power and excess of smoke emitted by the engine and can lead to other problems at high altitude as the oxygen levels decrease.

The setting used for normal flight is Auto Rich (roughly at 2/3 of the mixture lever travel), which will automatically regulate the mixture so that it's optimal for high power regimes regardless of altitude, Auto Lean (1/3 of the mixture lever travel)  will do the same but optimized for economic cruise flights, and so it's labeled in the engine control quadrant. Finally there is Idle / Cut off which is used to switch off the engine and during priming on engine start up procedure.

This is how it's described in both the US and British manuals and it applies to the big majority of the American manufactured WW2 planes (spoilered to avoid spamming the thread):

unknown.png

unknown.png

Notice how in the engine instruction either Auto Rich or Auto Lean are specified depending on the engine regime

P-40E_V-1710-39_specific_engine_flight_c
unknown.png

46fc781053318a7d7954dd77ee5fb6e4.jpg

unknown.png
unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, planesyplanesy said:

August 6th. Opened Steam it downloaded 6.5GB to Cliffs Of Dover Blitz. NO NEW CONTENT????? WHAT is going on?????

I had the updates come in two parts. It first downloaded and installed the 6.5 Gb update, then it downloaded and installed the 4.5 Gb update.

8 hours ago, ATAG_yotheguy said:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\manuals\aircraft

Thank you very much!

After a quick flight in C202......

- no sounds for gear and flap

- after an hard touch and go I damaged the propeller...the blades where damaged and rotating very slow....while the engine was running as it had no problem

- the aircraft doesn't lose speed at idle

lot of work to do...it seems....and this for 70USD??

Really disappointed...not mentioning the ugly UI and the old game engine

12 hours ago, ATAG_yotheguy said:

Not correct...here you are my manual folder....aircraft manuals compeltely missing....

tsf_manuals.jpg

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, 4SCT_Vespa said:

Not correct...here you are my manual folder....aircraft manuals compeltely missing....

Inside "miscellaneus", perhaps...?

Posted (edited)

I was looking at the flashcards yesterday, really nice. Now I can't recall where they are ! Not in the root directory 'manuals' folder where I thought I left them ?

I've not had my morning tea yet, maybe that's the trouble.

I'm sure they'll turn up. 

Kettle going on now.

Daz

Edited by dazako

1 hour ago, 4SCT_Vespa said:

- after an hard touch and go I damaged the propeller...the blades where damaged and rotating very slow....while the engine was running as it had no problem

tsf_manuals.jpg

+ 1 No manuals , no Flash cards to find....this game has become  a melting pot. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Then select "Profile" at the top, then choose "License keys" in the red box to the right.

Go down and find "IL-2 Sturmovik: Desert Wings – TOBRUK"

Copy the key to the right in the keys column.

Take this key and go into steam. In steam at the top choose, "games", then "Activate a product on steam".

Paste in that license key.

That will activate Tobruk and it should then automatically download and integrate it to the main CLOD Blitz game.

I must be rather "thick" - I can't work out how to download and install 'Desert Wings'.

I bought Desert Wings through 1C and have an activation code from my account with 1C.

I've attached my opening page in "Steam" (logged in as "mungee") - for the life of me, I cannot see "games" at the top of this page - it must be another page?

I'd be grateful for any assistance on this.

Many thanks.

Steam Page.jpg

1 hour ago, Mungee said:

I'd be grateful for any assistance on this.

You will need to install steam on your system. From the picture you posted it looks like you logged in via an Internet browser. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Madcop said:

+ 1 No manuals , no Flash cards to find....this game has become  a melting pot. 

The 'Getting Started ... ' PDF is the manual.

However the flashcards - which I confirm exist and are really nice, I can't find today. Who's nicked 'em while I was asleep ?

Daz

Not in my install today either, but luckily I made a copy of them and put them on my desktop for ease of access!

15 hours ago, Maple said:

Maple

The drop in frame rates, I see it in il2 clod blitz. While in Bos I have never had problems of this type. I describe what happens to me in clod. In practice, the flight mission starts well with a high frame rate of 60fps, but when I arrive above an area of the map, where there are planes or vehicles managed by AI, the fps drop to 30 or 40. It is therefore premature buy Tobruk, if these problems remain.

Posted (edited)

for those of you missing the flashcards, the is an entry in technical assistance for missing flashcards after update. Someone has kindly put a post in there with a link for you to regain them (or copy them down)

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz
spelling

69th_ Spiritus stated on the ATAG forum the flashcards were pulled to make changes and will soon return.

Daz

4 hours ago, 4SCT_Vespa said:

tsf_manuals.jpg

Direi  che non ci siamo allora. Grazie per il contributo. 

Installed and all seems good to go, thank you very much to all involved, really appreciated.:cool:

Took a long time to download but the update installed itself without any help from me, good job as I would most likely have broken something.;)

Not had much opportunity to get familiar with all the new stuff but all the aircraft look awesome and it is nice to have a different environment to explore.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.

Posted (edited)

Well I found my TrackIr or say the camera without the footing trackir pro broken to the unrecognizable. 
nothing a roll of tape could not fix. 
Wellington is fantastic, absolutely fun flying and dropping torpedoes with. 
I have hours of fun ahead. Many 🙏  thanks 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Yes, flashcards were pulled to update a few things. They will be back soon, they are very good to have so we know people want them back soon. 

I would like to congratulate Team Fusion Simulation for all the new content you have created !!! 😉

It's awesome !! 👍

I have done recording tracks on ATAG and play it with external view.

The track quality is really excellent with a big visual bubble, i love it !

I was impressed by the new sound effects of planes flying around, gun firing, flak blast and ammo end course explosions !!!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Found some minor typos in the Bf 108 cockpit

1. It is Im Flug, not Um Flug

2. Second benzindruckverlust, the B should be in capital letter

20200809004917_1.jpg

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Posted (edited)

Another one in the Taifun cockpit.

It´s Belüftung, not Bbelüftung

20200809014352_1.jpg

Found another typo. It is öffnen, not öffen.

20200809015019_1.jpg

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Team Fusion Simulations, I'm very happy with my purchase as I am with the overall evolution of "Cliffs of Dover". The quality and historical accuracy of this simulation are absolutely outstanding. We the fans look forward to further improvements... and new add-ons!

Oh, by the way, now THERE IS a "Dover series"! YES!!!

• Upvote 1